Royal's Pre-Cruise Test Kit

woneill63

Hello all, I bought the official pre-cruise test kit from Royal's website.  For those of you who have used this option, I have a few questions.

1.  My cruise is not until Feb 24th, can I scan the code and set up the testing date for three weeks later ?

2.  Will the testing company automatically inform Royal of my results or will I get an email and use that to board ?

3.  The minimum number of test kits you could buy was two, so I am sending the extra one to my friend in the Tampa area.  Will he be able to use it even though he did not purchase it from their website ?

Thanks for your responses.

Cheers

I do not believe you can schedule a test in advance. When you are ready to test you go to the emed website and it will walk you through the process. You will get an email with the results. That is what you use to board. They have no connection to RCCL. RCCL simply is providing the link to emed for ordering purposes.

I would consider holding onto the second test in case you have a problem with the first one. Either an error on your part during the test or some kind of defect with the test components when you open the package. For example if you drop the swab on the floor the test is invalidated. 

• Like 4

Other than create the account in the NAVICA app you can't do anything in advance.   I used my laptop and dh used his computer which has a separate webcam.  We signed on through emed and followed instructions.   You cannot open the package until instructed.  You will also need either your driver's license or passport, which you'll show to the proctor..   After a proctor comes on, they will confirm your identity,  you will scan the QR code and follow their instructions.  We did it after midnight 2 days before our cruise so we could just get into the car in the morning and start our drive to Florida. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, woneill63 said:

Hello all, I bought the official pre-cruise test kit from Royal's website.  For those of you who have used this option, I have a few questions.

1.  My cruise is not until Feb 24th, can I scan the code and set up the testing date for three weeks later ?

2.  Will the testing company automatically inform Royal of my results or will I get an email and use that to board ?

3.  The minimum number of test kits you could buy was two, so I am sending the extra one to my friend in the Tampa area.  Will he be able to use it even though he did not purchase it from their website ?

Thanks for your responses.

Cheers

First thing: Don't send the extra kit--you should keep it as a back up in case the first one has an issue (my son had one where the vial that is supposed to have the liquid was empty), or you make a mistake and they ask you start over.  If you do end up with an extra, anyone can use it. 

Secondly, you can't book in advance, you log in and wait for the proctor to appear.  Depending on time of day, it can be pretty much immediate or you may have to wait a bit.  Make sure you have the camera working and set up--you'll need to be visible to the proctor the entire time, as will the test as it does it's thing (15 minutes or so for the result to appear).  If you go off camera or lose the connection at any point, you will likely have to start over with a new test, hence my 'first thing' comment.

No, they don't send the info to Royal (nor are they 'official Royal' tests--it's just a link they give to a vendor's website so people know which tests are acceptable, but you can order from anywhere as long as you choose the right type).  You'll need to provide the documentation that is given to you after the proctored test by either printing it or showing it on your phone.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 3

As another poster suggested, keep that second test kit for now.  You cannot open the kit in advance.  Once in a while somebody has reported is an issue inside the kit (for example, the reagent bottle is empty).  Or as mentioned a swab could fall.  There is always a small chance the first test could fail or be inconclusive.  So keep the extra kit until yours is complete and report received.

• Like 1

My experience with the proctored test was a little different.  I used my iPhone for the test, because if I'm ever somewhere without my laptop, I can still do the proctored test from anywhere.  For instance, I will be visiting family without my laptop in a few months, and I will fly immediately from there to the port.  So, I wanted to get familiar with using my phone.

I was able to get up and do other things during the 15 minutes waiting period, per the proctor's instructions.  As long as THE PROCTOR can see the test clearly the entire 15 minutes, you're fine.  That's because the camera is pointing to the test on the hard surface (table/desk), and the camera is BEHIND the test, looing out at the test and the room.  

Be mindful that the proctor is seeing a mirror image from the camera, and my proctor got her "lefts" and "rights" mixed up a few times. Go with the description of what the proctor wants you to do.

As stated before here, you can ONLY start the test when actually ready to do the test.  Very short wait for the proctor.  But, to be on the safe side, do it early so you can call back if you have to.  Just don't open the box until told to!

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

You can get the app on your phone and set up your account in advance.

When your ready to test log into your account (on a device with a camera) and follow the directions to begin - a company representative will come online and and check your ID, they will instruct you to open the box and how to administer the test (if you have a question ask them before doing something your not sure of - they also have pictures on the screen - (for me it was hard to look at them bc my laptop was angled down to show the test). Once you have completed the test - you must keep your camera on the test for the 15min that they time for you- once the 15min is up on they screen it will ask you to click if your ready and another rep will come online- don't move the test until they ask you to hold it up to the camera. 

They email your test results within 15min- and you can get your results on the app. (they do not send them to the cruise line)

I just took one this morning - Neg:) so ready to go on Monday!

Good Luck - Just take your time and ask questions as they come up 

My husband picked up the test (trying to see it better) and spilled the reagent liquid into the other chamber, invalidating the test 🙄. So yeah, keep that second test, just in case. We got so very lucky that the local pro-med was able to squeeze him in, last minute and test him, or we would’ve been in trouble.

Edited by Blacklight47
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, pcur said:

My experience with the proctored test was a little different.  I used my iPhone for the test, because if I'm ever somewhere without my laptop, I can still do the proctored test from anywhere.  For instance, I will be visiting family without my laptop in a few months, and I will fly immediately from there to the port.  So, I wanted to get familiar with using my phone.

I was able to get up and do other things during the 15 minutes waiting period, per the proctor's instructions.  As long as THE PROCTOR can see the test clearly the entire 15 minutes, you're fine.  That's because the camera is pointing to the test on the hard surface (table/desk), and the camera is BEHIND the test, looing out at the test and the room.  

Be mindful that the proctor is seeing a mirror image from the camera, and my proctor got her "lefts" and "rights" mixed up a few times. Go with the description of what the proctor wants you to do.

As stated before here, you can ONLY start the test when actually ready to do the test.  Very short wait for the proctor.  But, to be on the safe side, do it early so you can call back if you have to.  Just don't open the box until told to!

We'll use our iPhones...how hard was it to angle and do this whole thing from your phone? I would appreciate all the details you can provide as this is so new to us.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

If you have more than one person taking the test, can the proctor stay on with you through more than one test? Or do you go through the whole process separately for each person taking it?

We did on 2 devices.  Dh has his own computer and I used my laptop.   I think you each need to sign on separately. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ashland said:

We'll use our iPhones...how hard was it to angle and do this whole thing from your phone? I would appreciate all the details you can provide as this is so new to us.

We used our iPhones. I think it was easier than a computer. We had to show them the QR code and the result. It was easy to just hold the phone over it.  We propped the phone up on my opened mac book. We tried it our first using the selfie mode so we could make sure what they could see.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Other than create the account in the NAVICA app you can't do anything in advance.   I used my laptop and dh used his computer which has a separate webcam.  We signed on through emed and followed instructions.   You cannot open the package until instructed.  You will also need either your driver's license or passport, which you'll show to the proctor..   After a proctor comes on, they will confirm your identity,  you will scan the QR code and follow their instructions.  We did it after midnight 2 days before our cruise so we could just get into the car in the morning and start our drive to Florida. 

So anytime after midnight 2 days prior is acceptable?  We planned on doing test early AM before heading out to drive to the port 2 days before our cruise.  Leave on Thursday so testing early Tuesday is ok??  Too much stress but better than waiting at other locations I guess.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, akcruz said:

So anytime after midnight 2 days prior is acceptable?  We planned on doing test early AM before heading out to drive to the port 2 days before our cruise.  Leave on Thursday so testing early Tuesday is ok??  Too much stress but better than waiting at other locations I guess.

We sailed on 12/30. Did the test shortly after midnight 12/28. Got to sleep without worrying about waking up to take the test. We started our drive from Nashville to Florida around 9 am that morning knowing test done. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

If you have more than one person taking the test, can the proctor stay on with you through more than one test? Or do you go through the whole process separately for each person taking it?

Each person has to sign on separately and get their own proctor…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

Each person has to sign on separately and get their own proctor…

That's to bad. Of course this would make it easy and less time consuming if we could both do it at the same time.

Edited by Ashland

Back again, first off I would like to thank everyone for their input, I appreciate all the responses.  I will re-consider sending the extra testing kit to my friend.  My plan is to use the Royal test in the morning and have a testing appointment scheduled in the afternoon at a local CVS as a back up.

Cheers

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

That's to bad. Of course this would make it easy and less time consuming if we could both do it at the same time.

If you have two different devices, you can both do it all at the same time (each with your own proctor).  

There would really no benefit to both using the same proctor -- the entire time from when you log in to the emed website to when you get your proctor is maybe 60 seconds. 

Also, the proctor who reads your test is NOT the same person who watched you administer the test. The watching proctor starts the 15 minute timer and leaves the screen and the camera watches the test card (I'm assuming there's some sort of automated system that watches for motion of/at the card while the timer counts down).  Then when the timer is done, you click again to be connected to a test-reading proctor.  

The whole entire process takes about 20 minutes total. 

I highly recommend watching one of the many available YouTube videos that demonstrate the process.  The proctors tend to have very thick accents, IME, and knowing in advance what they're going to tell you to do makes it easier to understand them when they say what to do next.  

• Like 3

On 1/29/2022 at 11:34 AM, Ashland said:

If you have a standing cell phone charger, it will help.  If not, then rest the phone on a washcloth, slightly leaning against a solid surface (the wall behind a desk? a box? anything vertical and stationary). 

Turn the camera on and reverse it to show your face sitting in front of the phone. 

Then, put the test kit on the hard surface between you and the phone. Move the test or phone, or both, until you can completely see the top of the test kit.  Practice with the unopened test kit.  Now, make sure the phone is steady, and that's why I suggest a folded washcloth or towel:  they won't slide.

Open the Navica app on your phone, sign in, and select "I Have a Test".  Follow the instructions, and scan the bar code (my phone didn't recognize the QR code) on the box.

When it tells you to go to emed.com, do this in the browser on your phone.  I used Safari.  It's going to open a call to the proctor, and it could be anywhere in the world.  Turn up the volume just in case the proctor's English is not the best.  Follow his/her instructions.

You will open the test kit, pull out the test card, the swab, and the test solution. The proctor will explain what to do with all of this, but ask questions as you go.  For instance, when positioning the card, I ask, "is the little hole at the bottom of the card?" This is to make sure you are going to insert the swab into the correct hole.  

You drop 6 drops of the solution into the appropriate hole.  The solid pink line is the test solution, and the other space, if blank after 15 minutes, means the test is negative.  

You swab by circling each nostril 5 times as high in your nose as you can go.

Then, you slide the swab into the hole as instructed, inserting it in a parallel motion to the card.  The proctor will explain.

Now, you will peel off the tape on the side of the card.  My proctor got her lefts and rights mixed up with the mirror image of the camera, so it's the tape with the PRINTING on it.  Underneath it's sticky and you close the card so the two outside edges are stuck together.

Then, they start the timer for 15 minutes.  I didn't have to stay sitting there, but they must be able to see the test card at all times, and you cannot touch it.  That's why it's important to make sure the phone is "nested" and stable where it's seated.

Another proctor will come back, look at it, and ask you what you see.  Then, they send the results.  I got one in the Navica app almost instantly, a Navica email, and emed sent me an email, also, with the results.

I even took a picture of the test kit before I threw it away, just to be super, super, super over-documented......😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So I should sign up for a Navica acct before starting this process? This is separate from the emed acct I already signed up for to purchase the tests ? 

But their connected since you got emails from both Navica & Emed?

Thank you so much !!

13 hours ago, brillohead said:

(I'm assuming there's some sort of automated system that watches for motion of/at the card while the timer counts down

I don't know if they watch.  My phone went to sleep and the screen went black.  I had to put in my code to get it back on.  I had no issue.  

15 hours ago, Ashland said:

So I should sign up for a Navica acct before starting this process? This is separate from the emed acct I already signed up for to purchase the tests ? 

But their connected since you got emails from both Navica & Emed?

Thank you so much !!

It is a different account than the need one.  My DH and I downloaded the app and set up our NAVICA account in advance.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 9:32 AM, pcur said:

I just took my second Navica/eMed test using my iphone.  The thing to remember is the app controls your camera once you start the test with eMed.  Sometimes it points ahead (behind the phone) and sometimes it's switched to look at the test kit (and you) in front of the phone.  A small window appears with the view of the phone's camera once you start.  

So, what I do is position the phone slightly higher than the test kit.  It's not like a cooking show on TV where the camera is above the action.  The proctor just wants to see the kit and that you have all the pieces in place, and DON'T TOUCH IT once the swab is in.  I put my phone in a holder, landscape, on my closed laptop, and the test kit on the desk in front of the laptop.

I'm doing this on purpose in case I ever have to take one while traveling when I don't have my laptop with me.

Oh, the test was negative today!

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1