Gluten free in Windjammer

Hi all,

We have sailed with Celebrity quite a lot, but never RC.  We are hopefully sailing on Quantum of the Seas later this year, and I have seen a few videos of the ship.  What I haven't seen are any gluten free markings on any of the  food labels in The Windjammer.  Can anyone who has sailed RC let me know if the menus and windjammer have g.f. icons?  Thanks.

54 minutes ago, screwsmcernst said:

Hi all,

We have sailed with Celebrity quite a lot, but never RC.  We are hopefully sailing on Quantum of the Seas later this year, and I have seen a few videos of the ship.  What I haven't seen are any gluten free markings on any of the  food labels in The Windjammer.  Can anyone who has sailed RC let me know if the menus and windjammer have g.f. icons?  Thanks.

They generally have a designated gf section in the Windjammer. You can also ask to speak to a chef and they can walk you around and make sure you know which dishes are safe. The good thing now is that the staff dishes out the food so you don't have to worry about cross contamination

• Like 2

On some Royal ships, there is a big gluten free section in the Windjammer.  Their g-f desserts have been amazing!

On the other hand, I don’t care for their g-f dinner options in the main dining room.  I prefer g-f dinner on a couple other cruise lines over Royal.

I pack a lot of my favorite prepackaged g-f food in my checked luggage.  

Lots of GF options in Windjammer; some are marked as such, others can be prepared on request such as stir-fry or pasta options. Bread and rolls are usually on request, and in some cases are sealed prepared items. Johnny Rockets can get a  GF hamburger bun on request. 

DH has been very pleased with the GF options on Royal and he has Celiac so must be careful.  Don't forget Sorrentos for GF pizza!

Barb

• Like 1

I have Celiac…just got off Mariner yesterday and was very disappointed in the changes to menus and the Windjammer. The menus no longer have the little icon denoting “GF” and the Windjammer had very few items available.  The cross contamination was quite high…they offered a GF cheesecake one day next to a Red Velvet cake, and the GF cheesecake was cut by the same knife.  Obvious when the GF cheesecake had red velvet all along the side of the cake.  They did have GF half-sandwich’s in Cafe Promenade…however they used the same tongs as the gluten sandwich’s and again had to correct them due to cross contamination.  I’ve been sailing with Royal for their attention to detail with allergies and did get sick on this cruise. After speaking to hotel director, who apologized profusely, they said really it’s only safe in MDR and Speciality Restaurants for celiac safety. I hope this gets resolved as they get back up and running and back to full capacity as this is a training matter…they did excellent pre-pandemic! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The experience we had in the windjammer  on the mariner of the seas was fantastic. When we ate in there for lunch they would bring my daughter  a hamburger on a gluten-free bun  with gluten-free fries. It took them about 20 minutes as they were making it in another part of the ship. The desserts were very delicious and my daughter was happy about the selections. Also had a great experience in the main dining room.

16 hours ago, D4 said:

@Meem47That’s terrible!

I wonder if their training is suffering due to Covid and all the staff movement among ships?  But those are flagrant mistakes that should not happen. 😰

I suspect this…to be honest they almost implied this very thing.  It’s really a training issue…gluten free foods should never be directly next to regular food.  In the past, they always had a separate are for GF food/desserts in the Windjammer but not on this most recent sailing. Very sad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My adult daughter has celiac and had absolutely no trouble finding GF food in both the Windjammer and the MDR when we were on Mariner in November.  At the Windjammer, the Chef would come talk to her about GF options if she didn't find what she wanted (most times she found GF options without asking for the chef).  At the MDR our waiters went above and beyond to provide her GF options including taking her order the night before for the next night.  Truly RCCL was fantastic about providing tasty GF options.

• Like 1