Cruises skipping Canada?

tupperny

We are booked on the Royal in May.  We are suppose to stop in Victoria, BC and dock in Vancouver.  No excursions are listed for Victoria and final payment is due this week.

Is it possible that Princess is planning to skip Canada totally and go on to Seattle, WA?

Thoughts?

Bill

I've been waiting to book my summer cruise. It would be nice to find out if Princess will actually be sailing from Vancouver this year. That said, I loved my cruise last summer and that we skipped going to Victoria. 

24 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

Last summer Alaska cruises didn't stop in Canadian ports.

We were on the second Majestic sailing after it started Alaska runs.  We skipped Canada...but I think that was a special "short term" provision passed by Congress that bypassed PVSA. I don't know when it lapsed...or even if it did.

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We were on the second Majestic sailing after it started Alaska runs.  We skipped Canada...but I think that was a special "short term" provision passed by Congress that bypassed PVSA. I don't know when it lapsed...or even if it did.

Yes a special exemption was given to the cruise industry to sail to AK without stopping in a foreign country (Vancouver in this instance) which I believe it was only for 2021 season.  If Canada opens its port then there will be no problem and if they do not I would expect Congress to pass another special exemption or maybe just lengthen the original law.  This was due to pressure from the AK delegation to open their tourist season by ship.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dog said:

On the Canadian Cruise forum there is an update about this. More to come 

Basically nothing much to report.  We already know ports are available to be called on.  The key info is not released as yet and that is testing requirements for embarking and disembarking.  The way Canada is now, it is PCR for entry so unless they back down on that, it's going to be a barrier for sure. 

No doubt PCL and other lines are in discussion with Health Canada, but has any line stated if they will call/not call on Canada if testing protocols are not changed?

I honestly hope they end up getting another waiver this year and can skip stopping in Canada on the 7 days out of Seattle. Rather have a more relaxed evening before disembarking in Seattle than to have to come into Victoria for the paper exchange and also have to submit to possibly testing before getting off because of some draconian Canadian rule

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, fpsphil said:

I honestly hope they end up getting another waiver this year and can skip stopping in Canada on the 7 days out of Seattle. Rather have a more relaxed evening before disembarking in Seattle than to have to come into Victoria for the paper exchange and also have to submit to possibly testing before getting off because of some draconian Canadian rule

I am sure a lot of people hope the Vancouver-Anchorage-Vancouver route is back up and running again.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I am sure a lot of people hope the Vancouver-Anchorage-Vancouver route is back up and running again.

Those might go with the higher levels of restrictions, for those going out of Seattle it’s nothing more than a paper stop. And if the lines were to reroute a Van-Anchorage cruise to Seattle I might rebook. No interest in going to Canada right now.

• Like 1

My wife and I are looking at possibly doing a coastal repo at the end of April that, at least currently, goes from LA to Vancouver with stops in San Francisco and Victoria.  My guess is that if they needed to they could shift the itinerary to stop in Astoria (in fact, the route map on the site shows Astoria instead of SF right now) and end in Seattle, which would actually be really convenient for us since it would save us from needing to take the train from Vancouver back to the Seattle area.

Edited by Vexorg

11 minutes ago, westcoaster said:

The Canadian government announced in July of last year that ports would reopen to cruise ships on November 1, 2021, which allows for the full 2022 season to operate.

They announced it but have testing requirements that make it nearly impossible to feasibly stop there

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Our May 11 departure is 14 days, roundtrip from Vancouver. Final payment has been made. Fingers crossed.

• Like 3

Of the large cruise line companies, Holland has one of the earliest dates for Canadian port stop and disembarkation with Koningsdam on April 9 and 10.  I imagine Canadian protocol will have to be acceptable to the cruise lines by April at least, if not sooner, or sailings will be cancelled.

• Like 1