To Cancel or Not to Cancel.....

Ellen495

I've been reading through many threads ......... we planned our first ever cruise in 2020 and obviously didn't go. We are booked July 10 Alaska cruise. The payment is due April 11th. If I cancel by April 10th, I get all of the money back (even the small deposit). Main money I spent was specialty dining and the tours including the helicopter. I have two concerns:

1. One is that they cancel and offer us FCC which I wouldn't want. If they cancel, are they required to give back the money or do they have the right to give FCC? I have called HAL a couple of times, and I get different answers from different reps.

2. My other concern is safety and quarantining. I read a few nightmare stories about people being quarantined. Seems for some itineraries (such as Hawaii and probably Europe), on board testing is mandatory. There's good and bad there - most good I suppose. If people are tested on a ship, then it's less likely that others will be infected. However, the HAL rep told me that no one will be tested on an Alaskan cruise once it sails (obviously you need to test negative before embarking) so what's to stop a person who feels they might be sick from just not going to the ship doctor? If you go to the ship doctor, you know you're risking testing positive.

Now... I had Covid a month ago (I was shocked- vaccinated and boosted and constant mask wearer) and still I got it. But it was mild - like an annoying cold. I got tested because I didn't want to risk giving it to anyone else who might get very sick. I was really bummed that I tested positive, but it was the right thing to do.

Will they test people regularly on an Alaskan cruise or is that only for Europe and Hawaii?

Thanks for thoughts and any answers. I know no  one knows for sure.

Ellen

If HAL cancels you can request and get a refund. Sometimes they will move you to a different cruise and you will have to contact them within a certain time period to request a refund instead.

I’m not 100% certain as things change all the time lately but as others stated I do t think you’ll need a mid cruise test on a 7 day closed loop cruise. We didn’t on the Rotterdam last month abut I’ve not seeing any reports on here of others needing one since; only in the Panama Canal cruises and Hawaii cruises which are not her longer than 7 days or when doing b2b as those are technically two cruises so the 2 day precruise test would apply again. 

For refunds, I believe they are required by law to refund you in full if THEY cancel a cruise for whatever reason. However, if YOU cancel for any reason you would be subject to whatever rules are in place at that time. 

I also would recommend that you do your due diligence and read all the Health Q&As, Protocols and all the fine print on the HAL web site if you haven't done it already.

Also, it may depend on how long your cruise is--you didn't state--whether they test you.

Last year, we had to be tested onboard about the fifth day of the first week because we did two 7-day back-to back cruises in Sept. in Alaska.  But those who were on for only 7 days did not have to test.  As you know, things can change at any time.

Seperately, in August 2021 we booked a Sea of Cortez cruise back to back with a round-trip Hawaii  cruise and had to pay in full at the time for the trips that were scheduled in early November.  Three weeks later (while we were cruising in Alaska!!), HAL cancelled the cruises--both of them--it took 60 days for them to refund the money to our credit cards but we did get it back because they cancelled the cruise.

Edited by 12cruise2

Thank you for the replies. My cruise is 7 days long (nothing back to back) in Alaska. 

We're also planning a few days on our own prior to go to Seward and take the Fjord cruise and then the Gold Star train back to Anchorage, hotel, and then train to Whittier.  I'm beginning to question if that plan is wise as it's another chance to test positive before embarking....

@Ellen495

You're torturing yourself unnecessarily. Why not just cancel, get your money back, and then re-book closer to the cruise date if the Covid/vaccine/quarantine situation has improved? Or if possible given your schedule, pick a later date (the Alaska season goes through September).

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ellen495 said:

Thank you for the replies. My cruise is 7 days long (nothing back to back) in Alaska. 

No, you will NOT be tested on a 7 night Alaska cruise, so the possibility of being quarantined is zero, unless of course you are symptomatic.  Respectfully, your question has been posted many, many times since the restart, and frankly, no one can answer it for you.  You are aware of the ongoing situation, assess the risks vs. rewards, and decide accordingly.  There is no right or wrong choice here....

On 2/3/2022 at 2:17 PM, julia said:

No, you will NOT be tested on a 7 night Alaska cruise, so the possibility of being quarantined is zero, unless of course you are symptomatic.  Respectfully, your question has been posted many, many times since the restart, and frankly, no one can answer it for you.  You are aware of the ongoing situation, assess the risks vs. rewards, and decide accordingly.  There is no right or wrong choice here....

I don't think it's zero, since they quarantine/test  close contacts as well. So someone near you for whatever reason gets tested and/or is sick, they'll make close contacts/contact tracing and make you isolate and test 

This is what they do on other cruise including 7 day ones, don't see HAL being different?

On 2/3/2022 at 5:20 AM, Ellen495 said:

I've been reading through many threads ......... we planned our first ever cruise in 2020 and obviously didn't go. We are booked July 10 Alaska cruise. The payment is due April 11th. If I cancel by April 10th, I get all of the money back (even the small deposit). Main money I spent was specialty dining and the tours including the helicopter. I have two concerns:

1. One is that they cancel and offer us FCC which I wouldn't want. If they cancel, are they required to give back the money or do they have the right to give FCC? I have called HAL a couple of times, and I get different answers from different reps.

2. My other concern is safety and quarantining. I read a few nightmare stories about people being quarantined. Seems for some itineraries (such as Hawaii and probably Europe), on board testing is mandatory. There's good and bad there - most good I suppose. If people are tested on a ship, then it's less likely that others will be infected. However, the HAL rep told me that no one will be tested on an Alaskan cruise once it sails (obviously you need to test negative before embarking) so what's to stop a person who feels they might be sick from just not going to the ship doctor? If you go to the ship doctor, you know you're risking testing positive.

Now... I had Covid a month ago (I was shocked- vaccinated and boosted and constant mask wearer) and still I got it. But it was mild - like an annoying cold. I got tested because I didn't want to risk giving it to anyone else who might get very sick. I was really bummed that I tested positive, but it was the right thing to do.

Will they test people regularly on an Alaskan cruise or is that only for Europe and Hawaii?

Thanks for thoughts and any answers. I know no  one knows for sure.

Ellen

I would cancel under your circumstances.   This environment is not good for someone's first cruise.   Wait till the smoke  clears so you can enjoy your first cruise with all the fun stuff and none of the hassles.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gilboman said:

I don't think it's zero, since they quarantine/test  close contacts as well. So someone near you for whatever reason gets tested and/or is sick, they'll make close contacts/contact tracing and make you isolate and test 

This is what they do on other cruise including 7 day ones, don't see HAL being different?

To be correct, the statement should be they will make you test, and then isolate if positive. You won't be isolated simply because you were near a positive case.

7 hours ago, KroozNut said:

What about a 9-day closed loop... any ideas?

On my 11-day closed loop cruise in December there was no testing.  We all needed a negative test result from within 2 days prior to embarking, but that's it.  We drove, so no need for a test to fly home anywhere.

Sue

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gilboman said:

HAL did not do contact tracing or quarantine close contacts.  If you are worried about having to quarantine because of someone else, then probably not likely.  But remember that this is very contagious.  You may get it from someone else and then it would be up to you whether to do the right thing and report it or not. Personally I think there are Covid cases walking around every ship.  

Edited by Riversedge
Typo
  • Like 1

We had covid 6 weeks ago &  recovered . If course we are in the highest danger area because of being in our  80s . We decided not to book cruises in2022  . We do hope that 2023 brings a lot of relief to every one from this virus 

We look a back on our many cruises & enjoyed every one .  We all should pray for the end to the virus & world peace 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

On my 11-day closed loop cruise in December there was no testing.  We all needed a negative test result from within 2 days prior to embarking, but that's it.  We drove, so no need for a test to fly home anywhere.

Sue

Great to hear because that is our scenario as well. Closed loop San Diego/San Diego to Mexico in April, and we'll drive to the port from our home 30 mins away. 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. I do think things are looking better right now. I am not a "Covid is over," type person at all. I believe in vaccination and masks - just saying things are looking better so my fingers are crossed tightly that we will be able to go. Henry - I will be interested in what you decide March 15th.

Ellen

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 6:52 AM, Bostonjetset said:

For refunds, I believe they are required by law to refund you in full if THEY cancel a cruise for whatever reason. However, if YOU cancel for any reason you would be subject to whatever rules are in place at that time.

If HAL only cancels your booking at the dock (such as for a positive test), but does not cancel the whole cruise, you can only get FCC.

Edited by PSR