LIVE: Regal Princess, February 5-12, 2022: Geoherb goes solo again

geoherb

3 hours ago, DavidsNana said:

@geoherbIf you have time, may I ask how much a taxi from the airport to the hotel should be?  My son and I will be coming in from different parts of the country and arriving at different times so I would like to tell him what to expect to pay.

Around $15 or so depending on how much waiting time there is due to traffic. The Uber app was giving me a quote of $18 when I checked at the airport.

I had a nice evening. The singles and solos meeting was all men on this cruise--just three others. Assistant cruise director Laura from Portugal was there to facilitate introductions. It's a big difference from my last cruise when I was the only guy with 8 or 9 women. I did not stay very long before heading to dinner.

I ate with one of the men from the singles and solos meeting, a mother and daughter from Maryland, and a couple from Florida. They made the top 40 luncheon. They've been on the Regal 22 times in the past plus a slew of other Princess ships. They said the luncheon was tomorrow during our first day at sea. I guess this itinerary doesn't provide many good options since we'll have the four port days in a row.

Here's a view of the wake and sunset from my balcony.

20220205_174221.jpg

• Like 11

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

In the scale of things, does the loss of $5 worth of drinks really matter?  

A sense of perspective is needed.

In the big scheme of things, it doesn't matter much. But it is the erosion of little things that can lead to a total decline in service and benefits if everyone just accepts them. My cabin steward let me know that they do not have the upgraded bathroom amenity bags for Elites on this ship either. He said the two items they have available are the shower cap and sisal mitt--two of the items that are the least use to me. I declined them.

On my last cruise, I was charged for a drink I did not order. I did not see it on my statement until I received the final emailed version. I received the goodwill credit for that error. I will continue to watch my statement to make sure they take off the glass of wine.

I guess I'm just someone who likes to get what was promised and not be cheated. At Publix last night, the deli put on a sticker for a whole sandwich when I received just half. When it rang up the wrong price, I pointed it out to the cashier. It was obvious to me that the size of the package should have clued her in that it wasn't a whole sandwich. She had to call over a manager to void it and correct the price. I could have just paid $3 too much for what was an oversight and not a deliberate attempt to cheat a customer. I could have also given the taxi driver the price he quoted. But I did not want him to get away with fleecing me. 

• Like 16

CD Aaron announced the total passenger count before he introduced the comedian. There are 1,266 passengers. As I walked through one of the corridors, I noticed that most of the inside cabins are not occupied. Several people have talked about getting upgrades. I noticed that they were taking down info from passengers at guest services when I was checking on the charge for the glass of wine. I'm thrilled with my cabin and did not ask.

Tom Brisco, the comedian, was funny in spots. Aaron said that showtime will be 9 every night--just one show. Tomorrow is Bravo, the first production show. I just saw it in December on the Caribbean, but I plan to go. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, geoherb said:

CD Aaron announced the total passenger count before he introduced the comedian. There are 1,266 passengers. As I walked through one of the corridors, I noticed that most of the inside cabins are not occupied. Several people have talked about getting upgrades. I noticed that they were taking down info from passengers at guest services when I was checking on the charge for the glass of wine. I'm thrilled with my cabin and did not ask.

Tom Brisco, the comedian, was funny in spots. Aaron said that showtime will be 9 every night--just one show. Tomorrow is Bravo, the first production show. I just saw it in December on the Caribbean, but I plan to go. 

We saw Bravo on the Regal's Jan 27 and 31 sailings.  The 31st sailing performance was much better than the 27th, in our opinion.  In trying to analyze why, it seemed that the male singers sang with more confidence in the second sailing.

• Like 2

Wonderful blog!  Thanks so much for sharing all of this information.  We will sail on Regal for the first time in October.  As we love to ballroom dance we would really appreciate anything you can tell us about what dance opportunities are available (and where) if you happen to have a chance to see it.

Happy sailing!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cjpj said:

I believe for drinks in port at FLL they have to pay state tax on those. That may be why it was charged. PP probably doesn't kick in until after they leave port.

No sales tax need to be paid if the drink has been paid for before the cruise since no money is collected for the drink on the ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Carnevale said:

Wonderful blog!  Thanks so much for sharing all of this information.  We will sail on Regal for the first time in October.  As we love to ballroom dance we would really appreciate anything you can tell us about what dance opportunities are available (and where) if you happen to have a chance to see it.

Happy sailing!

I wrote a long response, but system timed out.  I will give our feedback later today for you (afternoon probably)

7 hours ago, Carnevale said:

Happy sailing!

Piazza - steel pan, violinist, guitarist, Wheelhouse with jazz and house band, Vista lounge with Party band (wide variety of music),  Club 6  (DJ), Crooner's (pianist) for dancing opportunities.  All open and with performers at various different times. 

• Like 2

Here is today's Patter. I wonder about some of the scheduling. For instance, having a Bible study at 9 overlapping with the church service at 9:15, or the LGBT meeting at the same time as the production show.

Breakfast in the dining room was good. I had fruit and then smoked salmon on rye toast with sliced avocado. On my last cruise, the avocado wasn't available the first day. A head waiter made sure I had it the remaining six days. I usually eat it just on the days I order the smoked salmon, but I ate it with my omelet and other egg preparations since she went to the trouble to make sure I had it.

20220206_093126.jpg

20220206_093136.jpg

3 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

@geoherb If you see/hear anything about a winemaker's dinner, please let me know!

I'm hoping to attend, if they accept solos.

They are having the winemaker's dinner. I went as a solo on the Majestic in August. It was great. There were 13 of us at the table. I found out about it for this ship when I asked if they were doing the super Tuscan dinner at Sabatini's. They aren't doing those yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, geoherb said:

The goodwill credit never showed up on the "Payments" tab of the Cruise Personalizer, but it was on the travel summary--and it's showing up on my account on the ship as well.

Thank you for this. I also have a goodwill credit that is showing up in my summary but not under my payments. I was concerned, but after spending 41/2 hours on the phone with Princess, including several escalations, I just don't have the wherewithal or stamina to call again. I'm relieved to see it show up on your account. 🤞we'll have the same luck.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, geoherb said:

In the big scheme of things, it doesn't matter much. But it is the erosion of little things that can lead to a total decline in service and benefits if everyone just accepts them. My cabin steward let me know that they do not have the upgraded bathroom amenity bags for Elites on this ship either. He said the two items they have available are the shower cap and sisal mitt--two of the items that are the least use to me. I declined them.

On my last cruise, I was charged for a drink I did not order. I did not see it on my statement until I received the final emailed version. I received the goodwill credit for that error. I will continue to watch my statement to make sure they take off the glass of wine.

I guess I'm just someone who likes to get what was promised and not be cheated. At Publix last night, the deli put on a sticker for a whole sandwich when I received just half. When it rang up the wrong price, I pointed it out to the cashier. It was obvious to me that the size of the package should have clued her in that it wasn't a whole sandwich. She had to call over a manager to void it and correct the price. I could have just paid $3 too much for what was an oversight and not a deliberate attempt to cheat a customer. I could have also given the taxi driver the price he quoted. But I did not want him to get away with fleecing me. 

Amen and well said.  After spending years and MANY thousands of dollars, it was FUN to become Elite and rewarded with some very insignificant little gifts. I like the fabric spray in the tiny little bottle, which was not given to us on last cruise, until requested.  My DH does not need the 'mini bar' but he enjoys some of it and sharing what we don't use.  He will swap out beer for Perrier for me.

Sorry to see those little things go away. 

Cheers and happy cruising.   I'm missing ALL of you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

Here is today's Patter. I wonder about some of the scheduling. For instance, having a Bible study at 9 overlapping with the church service at 9:15, or the LGBT meeting at the same time as the production show.

Breakfast in the dining room was good. I had fruit and then smoked salmon on rye toast with sliced avocado. On my last cruise, the avocado wasn't available the first day. A head waiter made sure I had it the remaining six days. I usually eat it just on the days I order the smoked salmon, but I ate it with my omelet and other egg preparations since she went to the trouble to make sure I had it.

20220206_093126.jpg

20220206_093136.jpg

I love avocado toast and also salmon, cream cheese, bagel with ONION and tomato.  Yum!!

Eat one for me!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, geoherb said:

Speaking about the minibar, here are photos of what I received: 2 each of vodka, gin, and Scotch; 2 beers; and 2 each of Perrier, soda water, bottled spring water, Sprite, and Diet Coke. It looks like they're missing the Courvoisier and tonic water and shorted me 2 alcoholic beverages.

Since I have Princess Plus for this cruise, it doesn't matter as much. But it would be nice to take home the minis. It would be even better if they had the Courvoisier. I use it and the Scotch in cooking occasionally but not often enough to keep a large bottle on hand at home.

20220205_114415.jpg

20220205_114420.jpg

My daughter is on the ship and  they only had the same 6 little bottles as you. They haVe the drink package too do weren’t concerned

Another charge for a drink appeared on my account. I went to guest services after trivia. (My team got 16/20 and the winners had 19. There was one team in between us with 17.) The guy at guest services said he would see that the charges were removed. He asked if there was anything else he could do. I told him about the two missing bottles. Room service just delivered them.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My cabin steward let me know that they do not have the upgraded bathroom amenity bags for Elites on this ship either.did not want him to get away with fleecing me. 

The upgraded bathroom amenities are supposed to be the same ones that are standard for those in full suites.

If there are none available for the elite passengers, it should mean there are none available for those in full suites.

If those in full suites are still getting them, it means elites have lost another "benefit."

• Like 4

I do not see menus posted outside of the dining rooms. But I'm able to pull them up on my TV and on my computer. (It's not working for me on the app currently.) Here are today's menus in the Concerto Dining Room. I'm not certain if breakfast is actually today's featured item or tomorrow's since I did not look at the menu before ordering this morning.

Menu 2022-02-06.pdf

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, caribill said:

The upgraded bathroom amenities are supposed to be the same ones that are standard for those in full suites.

If there are none available for the elite passengers, it should mean there are none available for those in full suites.

If those in full suites are still getting them, it means elites have lost another "benefit."

Or, it could mean that they are trying to make what little they have last as long as they can.

It's easier to supply a few dozen suites, vs hundreds of elites.

17 hours ago, wowzz said:

In the scale of things, does the loss of $5 worth of drinks really matter?  

A sense of perspective is needed.

It does matter, significantly, as a competitive issue. It has little to do with cost, but loads with value.

Although we usually cruise with Princess, we have experienced - recently - other cruise lines and quite favorably so.

If we perceive a drop-off or downgrade with Princess, we will simply move on. Perception, as a customer, is everything in business.

• Like 5

Just now, loge23 said:

It does matter, significantly, as a competitive issue. It has little to do with cost, but loads with value.

Although we usually cruise with Princess, we have experienced - recently - other cruise lines and quite favorably so.

If we perceive a drop-off or downgrade with Princess, we will simply move on. Perception, as a customer, is everything in business.

Fair point. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, geoherb said:

I agree with you 100%.  Good for you to stand up for what they owe you.  Maybe the cabin steward can talk to his supervisor about getting you the upgraded amenity bag.  If not, go see the Event & Loyalty Manager.  If people don't complain, Princess will assume that it is an item that they can eliminate.  They have taken away the loyalty OBC, along with the free wifi.  They will continue taking away things if people just accept it.  If they shorted me on my mini bar, I sure as heck would let them know.  I always check my grocery receipt before leaving the store.  It is astonishing how many times I have been charged the wrong price on sale items, and you can bet that I march right up to customer service and they are very happy to correct it.  

• Like 7