LIVE: Regal Princess, February 5-12, 2022: Geoherb goes solo again

geoherb

37 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Still, 40% with full suit & tie or more seems off for Caribbean sector.  But things do vary from voyage to voyage.

That was just the men in the dining room. In contrast, I did see a man in shorts last night. They let him in.

Here is today's Patter. I went to the beach for a couple of hours and stayed in the water most of the time. It was lovely. The Carnival Vista is behind the Regal. I spoke with several passengers from it while I was in the water. They said they had more than 3,000 passengers on board. That puts it a little above 75% of capacity. 

The loyalty and events manager told me that it took 340 days to make the most traveled passenger luncheon on Sunday. She also said that next cruise has 1,800 people booked on it. A couple who ranked 4th on our cruise will stay on for the next one and drop down to 6th place. She will give more details on the breakdown of passengers by Captain's Circle status at tonight's party.

20220208_134607.jpg

20220208_140517.jpg

20220208_140530.jpg

On 2/6/2022 at 11:53 PM, geoherb said:

Yes. I walked up by the pools today and saw most of the hot tubs had 4-6 people in them. I was trying to decide if it was shady enough for me to go swimming. I was too early.

4 to 6 ..... all in MASK?       Take a photo next time.   LOL

Enjoying your blog.   

Hi Geoherb,

We were one of several couples that missed  boarding the Regal due to rescheduling flight problems in Charlotte last Fri. and Sat. All of us added the  week of the 19th on so we can relax and have fun for TWO weeks.

Cabin question:   A year ago we booked cabin DB E508 but Princess moved us to C618 after final payment. When I inquired I was told the Emerald would be used as isolation deck. I like Marina so they moved us to M403. Due to us not getting to ship we are now booked L210.  It's a mini but we've never stayed on Lido.  Any comments from anyone that has stayed on Lido deck will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, geoherb said:

It will be DuVaul Gamble. He was the CD on my Panama Canal cruise on the CB back in 2019.

Thanks for getting that info!  How did you like him?  I've never cruised with him before.  One more favor please, if you have time could you ask who the Director of Restaurant Operations on Discovery will be?  And I very much enjoy your LIVES!

15 hours ago, geoherb said:

I had drinks with friends at Club 6, Crooners, and the Crown Grill Bar after the show. A bartender told one man at Club 6 that he had reached his 15-drink limit for the day. He was not visibly drunk. 

We talked to a guy who said he was on for 3 months (this was mid January and I think was his first month) - sounded like he regularly hit the limit 😄. I drank my share but nowhere near 15 a day.

We enjoyed Club 6, danced until closed many nights. The DJ was very accommodating with requests.

12 hours ago, dance4fun said:

We highly suspect Princess is monitoring this thread which is great.  The day after our post mentioning only one waltz by Project 5, the band announced Anne Murray's "Could I have this dance?" by saying, "we are going to play a waltz".  Several couples got up to dance.  Thank you, Project 5!  

I sincerely hope so and suspect that may be why the crew smoking areas that had been set up on the aft Promenade areas have hopefully been returned to their regular smoking areas. This had been a major issue on a few ships when cruising returned. Why pay a lot of money for your aft balcony only to endure the smoke just like when smoking was permitted on balconies?

On 2/5/2022 at 1:22 PM, geoherb said:

Speaking about the minibar, here are photos of what I received: 2 each of vodka, gin, and Scotch; 2 beers; and 2 each of Perrier, soda water, bottled spring water, Sprite, and Diet Coke. It looks like they're missing the Courvoisier and tonic water and shorted me 2 alcoholic beverages.

Since I have Princess Plus for this cruise, it doesn't matter as much. But it would be nice to take home the minis. It would be even better if they had the Courvoisier. I use it and the Scotch in cooking occasionally but not often enough to keep a large bottle on hand at home.

20220205_114415.jpg

20220205_114420.jpg

With the included drink package is the mini bar free? Soda, water and liquor. We don't drink beer and Hubby doesn't drink alcohol, so his package will be water and soda and coffee and ice tea.  Wasn't sure we could tell them what we prefer to drink. Enjoying your journey, Will be on Regal for 35 days starting March 12, if we pass THE TEST.

16 hours ago, geoherb said:

I have a little round bar of soap for my sink. I could use it in the shower as well, but I brought along a full-size bar to use there. My only problem with it is that it's too slippery to stay in the soap holder. 

When we were getting ready for our first WC in 2017, we bought a flat tight mesh shower accessory (has 3 pockets, about 8” long by 5” wide) that has 3 velcro strips that you put over the bar on the existing shower rack.  Works great for holding bar soap, travel size shampoo bottle, razor, etc). We take it every cruise, lays flat easy to pack.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kwar said:

With the included drink package is the mini bar free? Soda, water and liquor. We don't drink beer and Hubby doesn't drink alcohol, so his package will be water and soda and coffee and ice tea.  Wasn't sure we could tell them what we prefer to drink. Enjoying your journey, Will be on Regal for 35 days starting March 12, if we pass THE TEST.

The mini bar is "free" for Elite and full suite passengers (and double if elite in a suite). I'd your not either, there will not be a setup in your room at all.

If you are, you can swap like for like, within reason and availability. Or, you can swap everything for all waters or mix of waters/sodas, etc 

However - if you guys also have the drink package, you have all the water, sodas, specialty coffees you want, unlimited for duration.  You can swap the mini bar to nonalcoholic and have in cabin - or gift it out as you like, etc. Either way - you're covered on all the water and sodas and coffees you want via your beverage packages.. 

You can also swap everything for one bottle of wine from their selected list.  

Your choice..

45 minutes ago, kwar said:

Free. Mini bar is for full suites and elite passengers only

3 hours ago, geoherb said:

The loyalty and events manager told me that it took 340 days to make the most traveled passenger luncheon on Sunday. She also said that next cruise has 1,800 people booked on it.

When you next see her could you ask if she knows yet how many will be on the February 19th voyage?  Seems like the capacity is inching up.

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

Hmm - our steward said that soap bars were not available even for suite passengers. I wonder if sailing out of the UK might have been the reason,  as sailings from the US seem unaffected. 

(Although things are bad in the UK at the moment, we've not got a soap shortage! )

We had bar soap on our Nov TA from Southhampton to FLL

3 minutes ago, cjpj said:

We had bar soap on our Nov TA from Southhampton to FLL

I'm beginning to think that our steward may have been a little economical with the truth !

Bar soaps do make more of a mess - perhaps he was trying to cut down his workload ?

34 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm beginning to think that our steward may have been a little economical with the truth !

Bar soaps do make more of a mess - perhaps he was trying to cut down his workload ?

Which ship were you on? If you were on the Sky they haven’t had the round bars of soap since cruising resumed. Other ships however still have them. I’m now curious if they have them on the new ship, Enchanted.

2 minutes ago, KLM3164 said:

Which ship were you on? If you were on the Sky they haven’t had the round bars of soap since cruising resumed. Other ships however still have them. I’m now curious if they have them on the new ship, Enchanted.

We didn't see any bar soap on Enchanted. We were on 1/19 - 1/29.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KLM3164 said:

We were on Sky. 

3 hours ago, Carolina Cruisers 2 said:

Hi Geoherb,

We were one of several couples that missed  boarding the Regal due to rescheduling flight problems in Charlotte last Fri. and Sat. All of us added the  week of the 19th on so we can relax and have fun for TWO weeks.

Cabin question:   A year ago we booked cabin DB E508 but Princess moved us to C618 after final payment. When I inquired I was told the Emerald would be used as isolation deck. I like Marina so they moved us to M403. Due to us not getting to ship we are now booked L210.  It's a mini but we've never stayed on Lido.  Any comments from anyone that has stayed on Lido deck will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm glad it's working out for you to get two weeks. We were in a Lido Deck cabin a few years ago. It was one of the sideways inside cabins, though. It was a very convenient location to the pools and the Horizon Court, pizza place, grill, etc. It's a lot of stairs to climb if you're like me and never use an elevator. 

• Like 1

Just now, wowzz said:

We were on Sky. 

We were on the Sky in November/December and we didn’t have them on our 2 cruises. We did get them on the Majestic though. Not sure why some ships have them and some ships don’t.

We had a beautiful sailaway from Roatan. The Carnival Vista had to wait for us to leave. I think some people must have been confused with the time change and seeing all the Carnival passengers not hurrying back to their ship. I saw several passengers come back after the 4:30 all-aboard time. The last person, though, was a crew member. I wonder what his punishment will be.

I played trivia with my three teammates. We won another bottle stopper. I had won at ring toss earlier in the afternoon, and then went to compete in the basketball competition. I lost the tiebreaker of that.

Here are the menus from the Crooners Bar and Ocean Terrace sushi bar. I tried a verjus this afternoon to watch the sailaway. It was tasty. I think my next new drink to try will be the Rivington punch. 

20220208_163000.jpg

20220208_163011.jpg

20220208_170252.jpg

20220208_170643.jpg

20220208_170646.jpg

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I'm glad it's working out for you to get two weeks. We were in a Lido Deck cabin a few years ago. It was one of the sideways inside cabins, though. It was a very convenient location to the pools and the Horizon Court, pizza place, grill, etc. It's a lot of stairs to climb if you're like me and never use an elevator. 

Did you feel more motion being up HIGH?

5 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

Thanks for getting that info!  How did you like him?  I've never cruised with him before.  One more favor please, if you have time could you ask who the Director of Restaurant Operations on Discovery will be?  And I very much enjoy your LIVES!

We we're on two cruises when DuVaul Gamble was assistant cruise director. He was one of the best! Very friendly, great dancer and he worked for Sesame Street Productions before joining Princess. He's from St. Louis. I'm happy he made it to cruise director. We hope to see him on the Discovery Princess for the "Love Boat" theme cruise on Oct. 22, 2022. 

Cheers - Ken & Darlene