Best and worst food on Celebrity buffet

dgoz

I've watch vloggers take a run through the expansive oceanview cafe. What are the best offerings? What should a skip? I read somewhere to make sure to ask for fresh eggs at breakfast, but don't know much else.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, dgoz said:

I've watch vloggers take a run through the expansive oceanview cafe. What are the best offerings? What should a skip? I read somewhere to make sure to ask for fresh eggs at breakfast, but don't know much else.

Yep do fresh eggs!  I personally don't have any  issues with the buffet.  The bad thing about them is the food isn't usually hot enough.  

I agree with skipping the Mexican food. It's not Mexican, and it's barely food. 

I also agree with getting fresh eggs.

Everything else is rather good. The Indian food is outstanding. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I especially love the orange chicken and broccoli beef they serve in the India/Asia part of the buffet.

Does anyone know how to make orange chicken in the nearly the same way, as they do in the OceanView café?

Unfortunately that chicken dish is not on the lunch buffet more than 2 times a week 😞

4 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

We had it on Millennium, it the last Alaska cruise of the season.  It may have been a special offering.

Probably a special offering as you were saying. Had it been a regular thing, I'm sure I would have found it and had a very nice meal.

• Like 1

I love most of the items in the buffet, but...

Avoid the pre made scrambled eggs.

Avoid the carved roast beef, very fatty and tough.

Avoid the pre made bacon, greasy and undercooked.

Avoid the Southern fried chicken, its defiantly not southern, coated with a weird cheesy mixture and baked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watch the Ocean View Cafe's evening meal entry in the dailies. They often have specials (they had them on our past cruises). Often the special would celebrate the recent port stop. We have had Russian caviar in St Petersburg, German sausages in Warnemunde, lovely fish from some ports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

IMHO, you can skip most of the beautifully presented baked desserts. (And I LOVE desserts!) Cakes, etc. look really pretty, but have little flavor. Save your calories for the goodies at Cafe al Bacio.

On the M and S class ships, there are sometimes desserts at the we-scoop-it-for-you ice cream station, and those are usually good, especially when topped with ice cream. 😄

If you have a beverage package, it's worth it to request orange juice from the bar.

Be sure to check out the goodies at the Spa Cafe as well.

Hope you enjoy your first Celebrity cruise.

Edited by MarKay525
  • Like 3

We were on Millennium in October and one afternoon they had British Day at Ocean View.  

They had Pot Pies - Beef, Chicken and Vegetable.     We both agreed they were the best Pot Pies we have ever had.   We will be keeping our eyes out for them on our next cruises.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

In 2016 we were on a B2B2B2B which included a Norwegian fjords itinerary.  Some of the sail outs were in long fjords and so we had dinner several times in the Ocean View so we wouldn't miss the scenery.  We were pleasantly surprised as we thought the buffet was much improved.  One night creme brûlée was featured.  Various flavors and the topping was melted in front of you with a torch.  Absolutely wonderful.  And on the Millennium last September we had lunch one port day at the Ocean View and found the wonderful ceviche station.