I knew I shouldn't have booked royal are so difficult...

yoyobabyz

booked the other day after a bit of a price jump x 2 so thought id better get in, of course the moment I do a better deal comes out, I just tried to upgrade to a suite (at a considerable difference in price) as the new offer also has on board credit, they will let me upgrade but refuse to give the on board credit, is this correct it was like they didn't care wouldn't budge and just told me to cancel, but then ill loose my deposit.....thought they were trying to encourage cruising at the moment not put people off esp when they are trying too spend more money, anyway around this?

Try calling again (for a different agent) to reprice the existing non-suite reservation to current pricing (if it is still lower).

Sometimes upgrades are difficult under non refundable deposits bookings (Australian T&Cs are different) - I always tend to book refundable 

2 hours ago, yoyobabyz said:

booked the other day after a bit of a price jump x 2 so thought id better get in, of course the moment I do a better deal comes out, I just tried to upgrade to a suite (at a considerable difference in price) as the new offer also has on board credit, they will let me upgrade but refuse to give the on board credit, is this correct it was like they didn't care wouldn't budge and just told me to cancel, but then ill loose my deposit.....thought they were trying to encourage cruising at the moment not put people off esp when they are trying too spend more money, anyway around this?

Because the OBC is for new bookings.  Upgrading is not a new booking.

• Like 1

Definitely did not offer anything other than I would lose my deposit completely and that would be the end of that she was very unhelpful And every question or scenario I put to her was a flat no, Should I call again I did book it under non-refundable deposit but I’m not sure if Covid rules have changed anything in the way of refunds and yes it was booked in Australia on the royal.com website

There s a change fee of $100pp to change your booking if you have a non refundable deposit.

Clause 31:

If you book a promotion cruise which stipulates that the deposit is non-refundable, a change fee of AU$100 per person per change will apply up to 150 days prior to departure. Inside of 150 days, ticket contract cancellation conditions will apply.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/contentPage.do?pagename=terms_and_conditions_australia_page_2

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GStanMus said:

Are you sure the agent said you would loose your deposit?  The agent should of offered a cancellation and then a new booking with the obc deal with FCC deposit applied.  

2 hours ago, yoyobabyz said:

Definitely did not offer anything other than I would lose my deposit completely and that would be the end of that she was very unhelpful And every question or scenario I put to her was a flat no, Should I call again I did book it under non-refundable deposit but I’m not sure if Covid rules have changed anything in the way of refunds and yes it was booked in Australia on the royal.com website

Depends on the date of the cruise.

If the cruise sails before Sept 30, 2022 then it is covered under Cruise with confidence and an FCC would be issued for the NRD deposit.

If the cruise departs after Sept 30then regular penalties would apply

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Depends on the date of the cruise.

If the cruise sails before Sept 30, 2022 then it is covered under Cruise with confidence and an FCC would be issued for the NRD deposit.

If the cruise departs after Sept 30then regular penalties would apply

its a xmas cruise so that may be why, still would think they would be happy to take and extra few thousand from me but anyhow

1 hour ago, yoyobabyz said:

its a xmas cruise so that may be why, still would think they would be happy to take and extra few thousand from me but anyhow

Some of the restrictions you are finding are actually created by Australian laws, not necessarily a Royal created issue. It's still worth calling again to see if you find a different answer from a different support person

• Like 1

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Wow good to know. The 550 off with a unadvertised obc I got it when I price matched. Maybe I just have a awesome travel agent.

It probably depends on the offer, but OBC is usually offered on new bookings or a result of a price drop.  And when you try to upgrade, that is not a new booking.  Cancelling and rebooking is, but you also will lose non-refundable deposits.    Although I remember several years ago reports of cancelling and rebooking were usually caught and wouldn't get the OBC.  So many different approaches.

Edited by BND