Entertainment Question

LP987

As we gear up for retirement we want to experience a smaller ship. We typically have cruised RCL and Celebrity. We’re looking at Odyssey in April from Aruba and we’re wondering about night time entertainment. We don’t care about big production shows but like live music such as piano bar or guitar player/singer. We like to stay out a bit late (midnight or so). Any info on nightly entertainment appreciated. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, LP987 said:

As we gear up for retirement we want to experience a smaller ship. We typically have cruised RCL and Celebrity. We’re looking at Odyssey in April from Aruba and we’re wondering about night time entertainment. We don’t care about big production shows but like live music such as piano bar or guitar player/singer. We like to stay out a bit late (midnight or so). Any info on nightly entertainment appreciated. Thanks. 

We are a bit like you and enjoy a bit of entertainment in the evening.  Here is what we have found on Seabourn.  On Ovation and Encore, there have been two nightly "shows" in the Grand Salon. On the O class ships, there is just one show.  There are  least two  dancers (one male, one female) and at least four singers (two female , two male).  Many evenings the dancers and singers present a program. The selections are mostly what I call "old school" and by that I mean pre-Beatles.  The programs are enjoyable.  Personally,  would enjoy some update with their program (not all the way to Rap, thank you), but that may just be me.  On other nights, there are varied programs in the Grand Salon.  It can range for a Bass playing duo to a magician or a mind reader.  Sometimes there is a comedian or another singer.  It may be a concert pianist. It may be local musicians performing the music from the local country--or even folk dancers.  The range of productions varies.  We have enjoyed  most  of them. 

Around the ship, there is other entertainment.  In the bar for the TK Grill for Ovation and Encore, there is a pianist/singer.  It is usually a female and we have always enjoyed this.  In the Observation Bar at various times, there is also music. It has ranged from a pianist/singer, a pianist, a guitarist, etc.  In The Club, there is nightly danceable music with a live band.  Sometimes the  Cruise Director sings there.  

On the pool deck there are live concerts and sometimes a dance party with a band and most of the musicians onboard participating.  

I've never cruised on a large ship with big productions, but I have cruised on Silversea and I can say that the entertainment on Seabourn is MUCH better than what we experienced on Silversea.  

• Thanks 3

Update on Ovation, the pianist in the TK Bar is Bruno .   He was there for the Greek Island Cruises in 21 and now for the Central American and Caribbean departures from Miami.    He is great and many of his sets include songs from the 60’s through 80’s.   In the Grand Salon we have had musicians plan from the Beatles to a decade ago.    The Seabourn dancers/singers covered music up through 2010.  Can’t speak to the Observation Bar, maybe the music played is older there.   We do have a wide range of ages onboard with only a few with walkers and chairs.    There are 100 new Seabourn cruisers and they seem to be enjoying themselves.     

4 hours ago, LP987 said:

We are also on this sailing, our first time on Seabourn and like you normally Celebrity and Royal.  Look forward to meeting you onboard.  Not sure what to expect after sailing on such big ships, but we are definitely looking forward to this line after all we have read!

16 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

There are 100 new Seabourn cruisers and they seem to be enjoying themselves.     

I think you had mentioned this before, but what is the guest count on your segment?  Any quarantined guests or crew (not counting crew who needs to go through their mandatory quarantine with they first board the ship) so far?

What about testing on the last day prior to arrival in Miami on Feb 13?  Is it mandatory for all guests or just those who need the test for onward travel?

One more question (apologies for going OT):  have you taken any of the ship excursions?  If so, how is the mask enforcement on the tour buses?  My experience (during Oct-Dec) was that the local tour guide would make an announcement at the beginning about mask usage, but most of them wouldn't remind guests afterwards and none of them would actually enforce it.  We had a few guests who wouldn't wear their mask or would wear them beneath their nose/mouth, which is not a good thing in an enclosed space during the long bus rides.

Edited by sfvoyage

22 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Update on Ovation, the pianist in the TK Bar is Bruno .   He was there for the Greek Island Cruises in 21 and now for the Central American and Caribbean departures from Miami.    He is great and many of his sets include songs from the 60’s through 80’s.   In the Grand Salon we have had musicians plan from the Beatles to a decade ago.    The Seabourn dancers/singers covered music up through 2010.  Can’t speak to the Observation Bar, maybe the music played is older there.   We do have a wide range of ages onboard with only a few with walkers and chairs.    There are 100 new Seabourn cruisers and they seem to be enjoying themselves.     

I'm glad to hear that the music has been updated since our pre-pandemic cruises.  It was mostly the set productions that I felt were a bit dated.  This doesn't mean I didn't enjoy them--I just would have enjoyed a broader range of music.  I am Not complaining, just commenting.  I am hoping when we return to cruising that the Tim Rice show will have been retired.  

26 minutes ago, cruisr said:

Ovation is only one show a night as of a month ago 

Yes, it was scaled back to one show a night in November because of the low passenger count.  I'd imagine that when capacity returns to normal, the show will return to twice per night.

• Thanks 1

If Bruno is still on the Ovation the OP will be in luck since he is a terrific piano bar player/singer and an all around nice guy.   We are taking the Ovation over to Europe and would be very happy if Bruno is staying aboard :).

Hank

On 2/21/2022 at 4:14 PM, cruiser02 said:

lso several Pre-dinner 6:15 shows or special events. 

I don't care for pre-dinner shows.  It interferes with my HH.  I like a HH when I can converse with other guests as well as the lounge's staff.  Some music is good.  But, a "show"?  I don't care for that.  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I don't care for pre-dinner shows.  It interferes with my HH.  I like a HH when I can converse with other guests as well as the lounge's staff.  Some music is good.  But, a "show"?  I don't care for that.  

I'm not sure I understand your point. If you don't like a pre-dinner show, then you don't go. 😉 You can go to one of the later shows, or to no show at all if you choose. Meanwhile, there is a piano player in the Observation Lounge and a trio in the Club providing pre-dinner music for those who prefer those settings. I feel there are plenty of options for everyone.

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My point is that enjoying HH is more important to me than entertainment.  

In my world Happy Hour (HH) meant 2 for 1 or some other nice discount on booze.  But on SB it is always HH :).  And there is also "beverage" service at all the shows.  So why we do understand your HH comment it just does not make a lot of sense on SB.  

Hank

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

In my world Happy Hour (HH) meant 2 for 1 or some other nice discount on booze.  But on SB it is always HH :).  And there is also "beverage" service at all the shows.  So why we do understand your HH comment it just does not make a lot of sense on SB.  

Hank

HH for me enjoys having pre-dinner drinks with other guests and sharing conversations with them.  As well as conversing with the Lounge's staff.  

For me, HH does not mean how many drinks I can consume or at what kind of "special deal".  It's the social aspect of the HH time, pre-dinner.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

H for me enjoys having pre-dinner drinks with other guests and sharing conversations with them.  As well as conversing with the Lounge's staff.  

I understand your point... My dh loves shows me not so much.. there are some in this world that prefer conversation as their form of entertainment.. js

• Thanks 1