Cooking classes on Marina

travelin'suzie

2 hours ago, travelin'suzie said:

I’d love some feedback about the cooking classes on Marina   How do you sign up?  How much are they?   Are there multiple classes per voyage? 

We took one on Marina in October.  I think we signed up once we were on board, because I don't find the cooking class on our invoice from before the cruise.  There were multiple classes with different types of cuisine during the cruise, but only one of them was of interest to us and also fit with our schedule.  I don't recall the price.  If I were to guess, maybe around $79 per person.  The chef leading the class was quite entertaining, and the class was hands-on, in the sense that we were actually preparing the dishes, not just watching a demonstration.

Tom & Judy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If they are offering the hands on classes  look in "MY ACCOUNT"  on the Oceania website  then under your booking  it will show you what classes are available

You can also look at

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/life-on-board/

scroll down to the Culinary Centre tab

The past several month though they have been demos only according to those  sailing recently

• Like 1

Do they only do the cooking classes on days at sea,  I did a 12 night cruise on the Riviera which was great as it was 4 sea days and tons of things to do.  I loved the cooking and art classes.  I am looking at itineraries on Marina and Riviera and so many are just all ports.  Are there any activities on the ship at all when she is in a port.

The cooking classes (if there are any) would most likely be on a sea day. Here’s a photo of the schedule on the first day of the 17NOV2021 Rome to Miami cruise on Riviera.

looks like you have several opportunities to hang out with the entertainment crew doing several different activities.

FA3B7ADB-60C1-4984-926A-2F217FFFAE8F.jpeg

10 hours ago, cruisr said:

Do they only do the cooking classes on days at sea,  I did a 12 night cruise on the Riviera which was great as it was 4 sea days and tons of things to do.  I loved the cooking and art classes.  I am looking at itineraries on Marina and Riviera and so many are just all ports.  Are there any activities on the ship at all when she is in a port.

if the port is later in the day   or leaves early in the afternoon there are classes  offered

this was pre covid 

we been to a 10 am class & a 4 pm class  on a port day  but the ship sailed  about 4 pm  anyway

• Like 1

I’m hopeful the cooking classes return to hands on rather than demos by March. I’ve taken many over the years and loved them. In the Past they were scheduled two persons to each cooking station, although in the Fall they were at times limited to one person per cooking station.

My favorite class over the years was a two day all day “intensive” offered during multi sea days with one person per cooking station which started with knife skills and then moved on to a “mashup” of virtually every cooking class. Before noon the second day each of us drew a protein selection out of a chief’s hat and our task after lunch was for each of us to prepare a complete dinner by late afternoon using our protein plus any other carbs, vegetables and spices left available to us to use. No recipes allowed. Then at 4pm the head chief and the captain were brought it to test each of our meals and give us a grade. Our rewards at the end of the class were a certificate, an Oceania apron and an Oceania chief’s  hat. I still have them and use them at home periodically when cooking for special occasions. 

Our next cruise on Marina is a March crossing and, as i said at the very least, I’m hopeful we return to hands on cooking classes rather then demos. I’m signed up for 3 classes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruisr said:

I decided to book the transatlantic in April 2023.  It has 4 days in a row at sea so I am sure there will lots of time of classes.  Thanks all for be feedback.

2023 may be a whole new world 😉 ..

we hope it is a good one

3 hours ago, HiFi43 said:

I’m hopeful the cooking classes return to hands on rather than demos by March. I’ve taken many over the years and loved them. In the Past they were scheduled two persons to each cooking station, although in the Fall they were at times limited to one person per cooking station.

My favorite class over the years was a two day all day “intensive” offered during multi sea days with one person per cooking station which started with knife skills and then moved on to a “mashup” of virtually every cooking class. Before noon the second day each of us drew a protein selection out of a chief’s hat and our task after lunch was for each of us to prepare a complete dinner by late afternoon using our protein plus any other carbs, vegetables and spices left available to us to use. No recipes allowed. Then at 4pm the head chief and the captain were brought it to test each of our meals and give us a grade. Our rewards at the end of the class were a certificate, an Oceania apron and an Oceania chief’s  hat. I still have them and use them at home periodically when cooking for special occasions. 

Our next cruise on Marina is a March crossing and, as i said at the very least, I’m hopeful we return to hands on cooking classes rather then demos. I’m signed up for 3 classes.

That is a good class.  Regent has a 5 day course 4 hours a day run by Cordon Bleu.       I took  several classes on O and  found them to be social events,  fun but marginal 2 hour in length.     Great way to have fun and meet kindered souls.   .  Do not expect multiday, progressive training .   Just short entertainment gatherings.

However, if your serious about cooking and can already boil water on your own, then don't expect to come away from the experience with anything more than fun with others and a glass of wine.

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Regent has a 5 day course 4 hours a day run by Cordon Bleu.       

The Cordon Bleu course is no longer available on Regent.  They do, however, have a Culinary Arts Kitchen program on the Explorer and Splendor which is patterned after those on the Oceania Riviera and Marina.

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Fun with others and a glass of wine is exactly what I'm looking for.  It would be even better if the Oceania Chef did all the cooking, so I could maximize the fun and wine aspects...

totally agree with your take and attitude...    You took it as a social event not a learning event...  good for you

• Like 2

We are on the Riviera in June 2022 and found the cooking classes available to book (and pay) right on our reservation.  There is only 1 sea day, and a class was offered mid-day on that cruise, otherwise additional classes were offered late afternoon on several port days.  There did not appear to be a class every day, however.

• 2 months later...

If it is a factor for you, know that you will be on your feet for those two hours.  There are no stools or chairs to "take a load off."  My husband and I are foodies and always enjoyed the classes - we have probably taken a half dozen.  He took the knife skills class without me and learned enough to shame me - lol.  Annie Copps from Boston was an instructor that we really enjoyed.

We took a cooking class with chef Stephanie on the Marina.  Was wonderful. Argentinian  food. Only problem was when I booked it pre cruise it was a 10 am class. Time got switched to like 3 or 4pm and we had specialty restaurant reservations  and so we weren't  really hungry for dinner.

On 2/21/2022 at 4:56 PM, ronrick1943 said:

Book them, just a fun time if you like to cook.  Most of the stuff you already know-but you’ll learn a few new tricks.  It’s Fun!

exactly.....its a social not much  more.    Much of the stuff is pre  prepped  . If you  are serious about cooking  and looking for direction   this is not it....  

6 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

exactly.....its a social not much  more.    Much of the stuff is pre  prepped  . If you  are serious about cooking  and looking for direction   this is not it....  

Agree, however as you say it’s social, and a fun afternoon—-however you will learn something you may have not known.  I think the price you pay isn’t anything like when you go to a cooking class off the ship.  Even those have prepped.

For those that are NOT Michelin star chefs  you can have fun & some people actually learn something new

We took the pasta class  & we enjoyed making  pasta  even those the dough was done ahead  it was still good to try out the pasta machine & the finished product

I can make pizza dough but never tried making  pasta dough

Maybe someday I will give it a go 😄

12 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Agree, however as you say it’s social, and a fun afternoon—-however you will learn something you may have not known.  I think the price you pay isn’t anything like when you go to a cooking class off the ship.  Even those have prepped.

Your right....   but the schools I have attended  ( CIA and Cordon Bleu )   6am -3pm  5 days a week  and figure minimal $1500 a week.....   Oh , you  everything from selection to prep to mis en place org to presentation and then  a complete kitchen cleaning from floor to stoves on top of that ..... 

You do learn..........  as  in   Your poached eggs are too ragged....  do another 36.  get it right.   That the closest you get to social.  

14 hours ago, LHT28 said:

For those that are NOT Michelin star chefs  you can have fun & some people actually learn something new

We took the pasta class  & we enjoyed making  pasta  even those the dough was done ahead  it was still good to try out the pasta machine & the finished product

I can make pizza dough but never tried making  pasta dough

Maybe someday I will give it a go 😄

easier than pizza dough......  go for it.    You dont need a machine   just a rolling pin and a knife   00 flour and an egg in a food processor..................if I can do it..... ANYONE can

However,  if you ever noticed most chefs use dried...Pepin, Childs, Puck.....

open-uri20150422-20810-f3qxzs_4923c203.webp

I’ve always enjoyed the cooking classes and have taken  them on every O cruise.  I signed up for them ahead of sailing  on my O account  along with excursions.

I learned to make the famous duck and watermelon salad that we loved in Red Ginger.  The “If it Swims” class was excellent. The chef had previously been Julia Child’s assistant.  Very entertaining!  There are lots of helpers there if you need any help with your dish. You eat what you’ve prepared along with a nice glass of wine so plan your dinner time accordingly.  However, I don’t think I’m up to standing for the two hour classes any longer.  So unless there are stools available in the future I’ll have to take a pass. BTW you must wear shoes that cover your feet.   No flip flops or open toe sandals allowed.  People had to return to their cabins to change.

So - if you have the stamina I recommend trying one of the classes.