Newbie Q-Lobster

cruisekitty22

On 2/18/2022 at 12:46 PM, bama4cruisin said:

It is typically on the menu in the MDR on the second “Elegant Chic” night of the cruise.  Just an FYI . . . the lobster served is usually warm water lobster, not the lobster found in cool North Atlantic waters.

I was on the Equinox over the holidays and it WAS cold water lobster, and it WAS prepared to perfection. The tails were small though and we were each served two.  We were offered seconds as well. This was in Blu. (I can't say the rest of the meals achieved the same standard though.)

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 12:39 PM, cruisekitty22 said:

Does the Celebrity Infinity serve lobster any night in the main dining room for free?  Do they do that on any ship?  If so which ones. I am trying to get lobster for free on a cruise!

You don't plan a cruise expecting tasty lobster.    You will get a warm water lobster tail one evening on a Caribbean cruise.  Usually with a white sauce on top unless you ask for melted butter.

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Save your money and go to Red Lobster, you will get a much better Lobster meal than on any cruise ship. 

9 hours ago, keesar said:

You don't plan a cruise expecting tasty lobster.    You will get a warm water lobster tail one evening on a Caribbean cruise.  Usually with a white sauce on top unless you ask for melted butter.

Wrong. and nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I love getting the lobster as well. I told our server on our December cruise and not only did I get lobster, but I got 3 tails! It was delish! Some of you say it’s not the same, but since we are from the Midwest and not having fresh lobster readily available to us, what we get on a cruise or anywhere in the Caribbean is wonderful to us!!………what kind of lobster is served on a TA from Europe to Florida? With a ship having been in Europe all summer it’s likely not Caribbean lobster. It all tasted the same to me 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

I love getting the lobster as well. I told our server on our December cruise and not only did I get lobster, but I got 3 tails! It was delish! Some of you say it’s not the same, but since we are from the Midwest and not having fresh lobster readily available to us, what we get on a cruise or anywhere in the Caribbean is wonderful to us!!………what kind of lobster is served on a TA from Europe to Florida? With a ship having been in Europe all summer it’s likely not Caribbean lobster. It all tasted the same to me 🤷🏻‍♀️

You are correct.  I was raving about the beef onboard and someone from the Midwest  had a different opinion.  I guess it depends on what you are used to.  In my area, I can drive 15 minutes and get fresh lobster off the boat.  No comparison to what is served on the ship.  However, in Blu, they do serve a Maine lobster  meat appetizer and it has been really good.  

When we have been offered an extra tail, we  decline and would rather have another scoop of the homemade ice cream instead. 😀

• Like 2

On 2/18/2022 at 10:39 AM, cruisekitty22 said:

Does the Celebrity Infinity serve lobster any night in the main dining room for free?  Do they do that on any ship?  If so which ones. I am trying to get lobster for free on a cruise!

Yes. Fleetwide.  Lobster will be served as one of the entree choices the second to the last night of your cruise (chic evening). Enjoy. 🍷🦞

Had lobster in Luminae on our Alaska cruise in Sept. and literally could not eat it.  It was so tough and chewy. Really awful and the staff was so sorry, and promised I would get a good one the next night, but it never showed up and I was really just fine with that,  for fear it would have been a repeat.,,, It is usually my favorite meal on a cruise, but last time not so much! And we are on Millie again in May so not sure if I will try it again.🙁

2 hours ago, keesar said:

You are correct.  I was raving about the beef onboard and someone from the Midwest  had a different opinion.  I guess it depends on what you are used to.  In my area, I can drive 15 minutes and get fresh lobster off the boat.  No comparison to what is served on the ship.  However, in Blu, they do serve a Maine lobster  meat appetizer and it has been really good.  

When we have been offered an extra tail, we  decline and would rather have another scoop of the homemade ice cream instead. 😀

I live in New England and regularly eat lobster. Would never have what Red lobster serves up. It's tough, dry, and rubbery...and generally flavorless.  What I had on Equinox in the Caribbean was delicious and prepared to perfect. Cannot say the same though for other dishes. The chef makes a huge difference. They are not all created the same. The portions are not the same from ship to ship, nor even from cruise to cruise.  The sourcing for fresh vegetables and proteins also changes from cruise to cruise, ship to ship, and locality to locality.

No one can accurately predict what you will be served. Only that it will be served.

Lobster is just not the same on a cruise.

Don't get me wrong, I love lobster when its on the menu !

The lobster that is served is warm water 3 oz. lobster tails.

The just don't taste the same as cold water lobsters.

And..since they cook so many, they tend to be a little tough and mealy.

12 minutes ago, m8zenblue said:

Lobster is just not the same on a cruise.

Don't get me wrong, I love lobster when its on the menu !

The lobster that is served is warm water 3 oz. lobster tails.

The just don't taste the same as cold water lobsters.

And..since they cook so many, they tend to be a little tough and mealy.

This is not always true. The ones we had over the holiday were cold water lobster. Also, I have been on multiple New England / Canadian cruises and they have always sourced the lobsters locally. They were succulent.  I have had your experience as well, but this is not always the case.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 4:05 PM, Guppy99 said:

This is not always true. The ones we had over the holiday were cold water lobster. Also, I have been on multiple New England / Canadian cruises and they have always sourced the lobsters locally. They were succulent.  I have had your experience as well, but this is not always the case.

Yes we have had real cold water true lobster on our Canada/NE cruise on board.  But even then the lobster was far better off ship in Maine and in the Canadian ports we visited.  The MDR lobster served on most cruises is Spiny/ warm water lobster (no claws).   Actually in the crawfish family.

On 2/20/2022 at 3:58 AM, terrydtx said:

Save your money and go to Red Lobster, you will get a much better Lobster meal than on any cruise ship. 

This is so true, many people knock chain restaurants but if you're just wanting boiled/broiled lobster with drawn butter, Red Lobster is about as good as it gets.

Now if someone wants to try something a bit different, see if where you live offers a "Cajun seafood in a bag".  It's butter based with lemon pepper and spice.  Best lobster I've had!

image.png.dc5acd33df59afd38bc08525d3aa19d8.png