Solstice and Reflection -- Condition!

BizDoc

Now that Solstice and Reflection are ten years old, and refurbished a few years ago, are they starting to show their age? We like our ships in pristine condition! We're looking at a Transatlantic and would rather pay the higher fare for an Edge class if the older ships are showing their wear.

42 minutes ago, BizDoc said:

Now that Solstice and Reflection are ten years old, and refurbished a few years ago, are they starting to show their age? We like our ships in pristine condition! We're looking at a Transatlantic and would rather pay the higher fare for an Edge class if the older ships are showing their wear.

It really depends if you like the E-class ships and what class of cabins you book.  If you book Suites the E-class should be your choice.  If you like spending a lot of time on the balcony the S-class ships would be better for you.  Many people don't feel the IV balconies are a good design for balcony cabin.  Just out of curiosity, when does the Solstice do a transatlantic?

47 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

It really depends if you like the E-class ships and what class of cabins you book.  If you book Suites the E-class should be your choice.  If you like spending a lot of time on the balcony the S-class ships would be better for you.  Many people don't feel the IV balconies are a good design for balcony cabin.  Just out of curiosity, when does the Solstice do a transatlantic?

Very well said. I like a balcony. We will be in a suite on the Beyond, but I do not like the infinite veranda, and would not sail with one of those. I think celebrity keeps their ships in good shape, but obviously the edge class are newer.

We left the Solstice on March 20, 2020 at the end of the first leg of what would have been a B2B2B2B.  That was the date the global suspension of cruises started, and I also do not believe the ship has been in passenger operations since then. 

A day or two before leaving the Solstice the Zenith members of the Captain's Club had lunch with the hotel directors and some other stripes.  I thought the ship was in fine shape at the time but the hotel director had plans for the global suspension.  The Solstice crew was going to be busy.  He was ordering carpet to be delivered at Sydney (as that is where they thought they would be bunkering during the suspension) and planned to use the time to replace significant carpet sections.  All of the upholstery such as chairs and so forth were going to be cleaned.  They planned to systematically check every stateroom for needed repairs.  The list went on and on.

23 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Yet to see any complaints about the condition of Reflection. The cabin design is getting pretty dated in my opinion. If you want a fresher aesthetic, I would choose Edge class. 

I will say that the current cabin design is woefully short on electrical outlets.  With so many people choosing to travel with multiple devices that require charging, having just two US outlets available.

If you are so particular you need a ship in pristine condition then you’d better only sail brand new ships. If you’re that hard to please it sounds like a ship in very good condition (which all Celebrity ships are) would not suit your standards. I recently sailed Reflection and she was in excellent condition but not pristine if you mean that literally.

Not sure what you want in a cabin/ship.  Edge class ships don't work for us.  We like a true balcony. We were on the Reflection the last cruise before "C".  it was in fantastic shape.  As someone mentioned, if you want pristine you will probably have to go with a brand new ship.  Even they have their issues.  We loved the Regent Explorer--it is stunning at a hefty price!  We sailed it when brand new.  However, even it had problems.  Our balcony was pretty much a small wading pool the entire transatlantic crossing. So it's a trade off between the known of a 'broken in" ship and the unknown of a "pristine" ship.

• Like 1

The ships are very different- I truly love many of the features of the Solstice class ships and also some of the Edge class ships.  However all are in great shape and well maintained.  IMO the best feature on the edge class ships is the retreat deck and restaurant.  

The dining rooms for other guests on the E class are also great with a restaurant feel.   But the martini bar on the S class ships is excellent.  We also prefer the S class especially the Silhouette and Reflection  special restaurants to be excellent.

Edited by Cruise a holic

43 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

I was under the impression that Reflection has not been recently refurbished, but Solstice has. But I'm basing that on the hull color alone.

Not sure what has been done on Solstice, but you’re correct. Nothing has been done on Reflection. Sailed in December and it still looks great!

On 2/20/2022 at 6:25 PM, Northern Aurora said:

We left the Solstice on March 20, 2020 at the end of the first leg of what would have been a B2B2B2B.  That was the date the global suspension of cruises started, and I also do not believe the ship has been in passenger operations since then. 

A day or two before leaving the Solstice the Zenith members of the Captain's Club had lunch with the hotel directors and some other stripes.  I thought the ship was in fine shape at the time but the hotel director had plans for the global suspension.  The Solstice crew was going to be busy.  He was ordering carpet to be delivered at Sydney (as that is where they thought they would be bunkering during the suspension) and planned to use the time to replace significant carpet sections.  All of the upholstery such as chairs and so forth were going to be cleaned.  They planned to systematically check every stateroom for needed repairs.  The list went on and on.

Were you still on board and one of the last ships to return pre Covid? The shutdown went into effect March 14, 2020. We were in FLL the day before and it was cancelled the night of March 13……glad we are back cruising again!

We were on Solstice spring 2017 and again at the end of Feb 2020.  Just before shut down the ship had not been revolutionized.  White hull and pre-Hoppen decor.  We did think the interior had been nicely maintained between those 3 years.  There was some tattered carpet and upholstery in 2017 both in our cabin and common areas of the ship that we did not find in 2020.  Even without dry dock, upgrades had been made to keep her in great shape.  

05321DAA-04A1-48F3-9852-CD3D7BA78C2F.jpeg

On 2/20/2022 at 4:26 PM, BizDoc said:

Assuming you know the definition of pristine - in its original condition.  Then you already know that the answer for Solstice and Reflection is no.  But as others who have recently sailed stated, she looked pretty darn good.  

We were on the Solstice just before the pause in cruising.  I don't know what people consider "great shape" is.  Our room was really sad.  Besides the carpeting, the wood frames around the closet were broken.  Sofa was really tired.  The good news was that we had the large table on our veranda and comfortable chairs.    The common areas were nicely maintained.  

5 hours ago, whitbob said:

We were on Solstice spring 2017 and again at the end of Feb 2020.  Just before shut down the ship had not been revolutionized.  White hull and pre-Hoppen decor.

Interesting. The image of the ship on the Celebrity site shows blue hull. But a google search finds no images of Solstice with blue hull. Must be photoshopped image. However, the image for Reflection shows white.

Celebrity Solstice: Deck Plan & Amenities | Celebrity Cruises

56 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

Interesting. The image of the ship on the Celebrity site shows blue hull. But a google search finds no images of Solstice with blue hull. Must be photoshopped image. However, the image for Reflection shows white.

Celebrity Solstice: Deck Plan & Amenities | Celebrity Cruises

Solstice did get a blue hull during COVID but not the full Revolution.

Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 3.52.16 PM.png

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 6:25 PM, Northern Aurora said:

So curious to know if this happened.