Booked on a rumored charter cruise. When will RCCL notify us?

gometros

We'[re booked on the Harmony of the Seas next February 4. On a social media forum I'm following a few members have insisted that this cruise is a charter cruise.  How long does it take RCCL to notify us of the change so that we can make alternative plans? If true, I'm surprised we were even able to book it.

RCI still shows Harmony as open for booking.  Could mean the charter is simply one of the group charters that can be on at any time?  Have been on quite a few with the charter groups, usually don't even realize they are part of a group.  

Huge ship...room for all.  But sometimes they do take over different venues, depending on their group size.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, gometros said:

We'[re booked on the Harmony of the Seas next February 4. On a social media forum I'm following a few members have insisted that this cruise is a charter cruise.  How long does it take RCCL to notify us of the change so that we can make alternative plans? If true, I'm surprised we were even able to book it.

There is no  full charter scheduled for that ship and date yet

• Like 4

The take always IMO from this thread to note are:

1) Determining if it is a full ship charter or just a (large) group charter.  Full ship charters are much rarer and are typically secured far in advance with the itinerary then removed from public bookings.  Group charters are just that and typically notices regarding that are not provided as the remaining ship capacity is available for individual bookings.

2) If it is a group the impact, depending on how large it is - at least in our experience - is with that group potentially dominating different venues during the day - pools, bars, etc., - that can lead to space availability in general in those venues.  Also certain venues may be closed at times for that group's private use.  It all depends.

3) The group may have a specific theme with their booking and you may see the affects of that around the ship with different activities, etc. that may overshadow the normal generic cruise atmosphere.

We tend to avoid itineraries with group bookings on board for these reasons.  If you google group cruises you typically can find ships and itineraries where groups are booked, especially if it is a large group or a group with a specific interest or theme.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I don't think there is a "partial charter" - it either is a charter or it isn't. Most likely this is a "themed" cruise with a group onboard. Could be any theme but depending on the size of the group, there could be some venues that won't be open to general pax population at different times.

• Like 2

I see a couple of websites promoting an eight night full-ship charter on Harmony of the Seas for February 4, 2023.

I can't link to them on this board because they are travel agent websites.

There is also a Facebook group for the charter. 

It is an Atlantis charter and they will take the full ship.

Search Google for Harmony of the Seas Atlantis

You can bail now while options are still available, or wait to see what kind of incentives they give you for changing your plans. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

We've been on a smaller ship with a partial charter aboard, and it never affected us at all, nor were we contacted in advance.  

We've had the same experience several times.  The only time there was a problem was when a large group from something called "Kyani" was aboard.  You definitely do NOT want to sail with that bunch.

3 hours ago, island lady said:

RCI still shows Harmony as open for booking.  Could mean the charter is simply one of the group charters that can be on at any time?  Have been on quite a few with the charter groups, usually don't even realize they are part of a group.  

Huge ship...room for all.  But sometimes they do take over different venues, depending on their group size.  

Agree, been on dozens partial Charter Cruises. Not a one effected the Cruise for rest of us. On a couple the Groups would be off doing own thing in Theater and left rest of Ship emptier for me

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

I see a couple of websites promoting an eight night full-ship charter on Harmony of the Seas for February 4, 2023.

I can't link to them on this board because they are travel agent websites.

There is also a Facebook group for the charter. 

It is an Atlantis charter and they will take the full ship.

Search Google for Harmony of the Seas Atlantis

You can bail now while options are still available, or wait to see what kind of incentives they give you for changing your plans. 

Oh my word!! I was only kidding when I mentioned Atlantis in my earlier post.  That's just too funny.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Is it just a group that is booked on the ship or is the whole ship chartered? If just a group and depending on the size you may never be contacted.

From what people who claim to be in the know are saying, it's the whole ship.

1 hour ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Oh my word!! I was only kidding when I mentioned Atlantis in my earlier post.  That's just too funny.

Ha, I thought you knew the group to which I was referring. Yes, it is the Atlantis group. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is

1) if we wait and find out we've been booted, depending how long it takes RCCL to tell us, will out room choices be limited on our alternate choice, which will most likely be the following Southern Caribbean cruise. 

2) Are the incentives RCCL will offer us good enough that it's worth waiting, or do we (pardon the pun) jump ship now and switch to the other cruise?

18 minutes ago, gometros said:

Ha, I thought you knew the group to which I was referring. Yes, it is the Atlantis group. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is

1) if we wait and find out we've been booted, depending how long it takes RCCL to tell us, will out room choices be limited on our alternate choice, which will most likely be the following Southern Caribbean cruise. 

2) Are the incentives RCCL will offer us good enough that it's worth waiting, or do we (pardon the pun) jump ship now and switch to the other cruise?

On the up side, if you wait until they cancel it, you can get full refund and not have deal with FCC.

2 hours ago, cruzinisgood said:

How do you know if your cruise has been chartered?

It is somewhat hit or miss. Google your ship and itinerary - sometimes large groups associated with your cruise will be listed.  Also you can just google group cruises and a more generic list of itineraries with specific groups may appear - you can search to see if yours is among them.  But unless it is a full ship charter, which typically has the itinerary closed for public bookings, the cruise lines will not notify you of groups on board.  If you booked through a TA he may be able to determine if there are any large groups also booked.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gometros said:

When it happened to us it their offer was a little extra OBC...I don't even remember how much.  If it were me I would bail if I saw a better option.  You might even be able to transfer your current booking and preserve any perks you have secured.