CCL Stock Price

annlee

I have been watching the CCL stock price. With Covid slowly ending, and masks becoming less of a issue, I expected a bump up in CCL stock price. Nope. 

CCL Stock

5 year return: -60%

3 year return: -64%

1 year return: -23%

Schwab has it as a solid "F" - the lowest grade it gives out. Those quarterly dividends were great until they went away, but wow, you have cruise an awful lot each year (for $100-$250 obc) to come out ahead.

Quarterly earnings are due out 4/6/22, but looks like that will be nothing to look forward to.

I've slipped on my armor, I'm prepared for the attacks. Have at me😉😄

8 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

We recently bought when it was 22.69 so not horrible, but not great.  We are in it for the long haul though.

going long on this stock is sensible decision 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, annlee said:

I have been watching the CCL stock price. With Covid slowly ending, and masks becoming less of a issue, I expected a bump up in CCL stock price. Nope. 

CCL Stock

Schwab has it as a solid "F" - the lowest grade it gives out. Those quarterly dividends were great until they went away, but wow, you have cruise an awful lot each year (for $100-$250 obc) to come out ahead.

Quarterly earnings are due out 4/6/22, but looks like that will be nothing to look forward to.

Bought at 8 and have received:

8/21 Alaska: 100

12/21 Caribbean: 100

Pending:

4/21 Pacific Northwest: 100

9/22 Transatlantic: 250

3/23 Australia -> Asia: 250

Thats 8 so I'm even??

• Like 7

I have extracted more in shareholder benefit than I paid for the stock, and if I sold now I could take a loss to offset gains in other holdings.   I’m trying to understand why, for my financial situation, I’d pay any attention to an A-F scale that doesn’t take into account the (very real, tax free) business consideration that is very applicable to my life as an avid cruiser?

I don’t think people should buy single equities as a rule; picking winners and losers in an irrational market is beyond their skill set.   Let the law of averages work in your favour with cheap broad index ETFs.   But when you can identify something like a shareholder benefit that can return $5/share in a month (like I will tomorrow when I board for 30 days), you’d be an idiot to leave that cash on the table.   

• Like 4

Ombud,

I don't understand. What does "bought at 8" mean? The stock hasn't been at 8 since '93.

Pending:

Thats 8 so I'm even??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, waltd said:

As long as Princess continues to give us the cruise credit I don't care.   I never bought it for anything more than the OBC.

Agree totally. Was never planning using my CCL stock to help me retire just to enjoy my retirement a little more when we cruise.😉🛳️

• Like 5

2 hours ago, annlee said:

CCL Stock

Luckily, we already hit our pay back price. Miss those dividends, tho'.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Peira said:

Ombud,

I don't understand. What does "bought at 8" mean? The stock hasn't been at 8 since '93.

Pending:

Thats 8 so I'm even??

4/2/20. Didn't catch the low but close. I'm even (actually out 4.95 as that's what I pay for a trade)

Correction: out a few extra dollars as I didn't hit exactly 8. But less than I spent on coffee yesterday. I'm good

Edited by Ombud
Added correction
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Peira said:

Ombud,

Pending:

Thats 8 so I'm even??

It was $8.39 a share in April of 2020.  I bought shares when it was around $9.  But for those that paid more than it's current price, you haven't actually lost anything if you don't sell it.  This Russia/Ukraine fiasco is not going to help due to fuel increases, but give it time.

• Like 3

You're cherry-picking returns, based on a once-in-a-lifetime black swan event for an entire industry, with almost zero income for over a year and fighting for survival. If you believe in buying low and selling high, and if the long-term prospects for cruise travel are good, then buying low, claiming the shareholders credit as a form of dividends, and hoping for eventual return of dividends and price appreciation is a rational approach, especially if buying only 100 shares at depressed prices, even more so if buying lower-priced CUK.  Anyone who uses recency bias to invest is unlikely to build wealth in the long run. That said, if anyone is investing in CCL for wealth-building, then they're also taking an unnecessary risk. I could be earning nothing with excess cash built up from not traveling last year, but buying 100 shares last year was a trivial expense for me and served a valuable purpose of encouraging me to overcome covid fears and resume cruising. It also encourages brand loyalty, and it has played a role, along with military OBC, in choosing Princess over NCL or Royal, and has played a role in canceling and getting refunds for 5 cruises on Carnival because they refused the shareholder OBC. 

Thanks, lots of good info. I so wish it weren't the case, but I'm afraid what pathi said might be true:

I plan to buy more at 15$. Everything will probably be on sale the next few days.

Benefiting at the expense of others is never a good feeling for me but the state of this world today... :classic_sad:

We bought when shares were around $10.  Purchased just for the OBC.  Have been on 4 Princess cruises since then and have 5 more booked in addition to a couple of HAL cruises.

Didn’t buy to get rich or to trade!  Will keep shares as long as we continue to get the OBC.  Have Disney stock but no OBC on the cruise line comes with that!

• Like 1

In addition to buying CCL, I also bought enough for the shareholder benefit on Norwegian and only need 15 shares of RCL to get their benefit.  (As Princess has reduced the benefits of being an Elite- at least to me!, these other lines prices are a lot more competitive, so my loyalty is, on paper anyway, mobile).   

In the PreCovid days, I earned quite a bit of the 'special dividend' that the shareholder benefit provides.  If you use the product (cruise frequently), then this offers a huge benefit, at reasonable prices ( even IF you have to buy the stock to get the credit!).  

IF you had to buy 100 shares at say $22 a share, and get the $100 on board credit, that is already a 4.5% return!  

With mask mandates coming down, and as long as Covid cases are heading back down, more people will return to cruising and profits will soon return.

It may take a while to get back to paying a dividend given the massive borrowing that was necessary to keep running these last 2 years, but I am sure that it wont be long before $22 will be a price people brag about buying at!

(Of course, if you are a contrarian, then $22 is a great price to Sell at IF the price drops to $10!!)

• Like 1