The Daily for Sunday 02/27/2022

richwmn

Good morning, everyone.  

The sun is shining brightly this morning and the temperatures are supposed to get to 40F, so we can melt more snow.  Maybe we'll get rid of the last dirty piles of snow this week.

Not into retro, but am all in favor of preserving the environment of the polar bears.   And, I will gladly eat strawberries.  Berries of any kind are my favorite fruit.

Today's meal is made of meatballs.  Albondigas are Spanish meatballs.  While seasoned nicely, they are not spicy.  Normally we don't just eat meatballs plain.  I guess we could put some tomato sauce over these, but all of the recipes came up with soup recipes.  And, they look good!

This first recipe gives some great tips on how to make the Albondigas Soup.  It can easily be adapted for the slow cooker.  https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/albondigas-soup/

656990691_albondigas1.thumb.jpg.250b9903038d54a871d8e9c066f6f3fc.jpg

This next recipe is practically a book about Albondigas Soup.  Originally, albondigas came from Spain and were adopted by the Mexicans and Albondigas Soup is Mexican in origin.  This page gives tips about making ahead, substitutions you can make, storing and freezing, etc.  https://carlsbadcravings.com/albondigas-soup/

128669859_albondigas2.thumb.jpg.62694d215a3a9d049c909764b0fdc95b.jpg

One last version:   https://bakeitwithlove.com/albondigas-soup/?fbclid=iwar0insuurhs0wsuyc7qhejj2vip7zofslnisrlzn9nwtf-coyllu2bnpx_q

478394963_albondigas3.thumb.jpg.7917b4d94723f880759813afa4c88685.jpg

Prayers for those in need and special prayers for the people of Ukraine.   Cheers to those who are celebrating!   I wish everyone a great day.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 8

Good morning everyone.The sun is shining but it’s cold. Our son and grandson are coming over today to try to fix the internet and Sam’s computer. We have a lot of small things that need attention.

Prayers for all on our list and especially for the people in Ukraine. 
Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 32

Good morning folks! Happy Sunday. I like the collection of days. I like watching retro TV, but would not want to wear the clothes again - lol. 

Meal and drink sound pretty good, but I’m not a Cab fan. 

I woke up to this sight this morning. My iPad is very old and the pics aren’t that great, but it was nice to see deer. 

AB4C1E60-BC57-416C-8253-4FB812A90FA1.jpeg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  Rain is heading this way and will continue for half the day.  No plans to do anything outside so we're all good.  Thank you Rich @richwmnand Roy @rafinmdfor the Daily and our Care and Celebration lists.  It's my day off from early morning exercise so I said prayers for all before I got out of bed.  Top of my list are the people of Ukraine.  Next was niece Jen and on down the line of those here and in my family needing prayers.  @smitty34877Terry I posted an update on Jen and DB last night on yesterday's Daily.  In addition my twin updated me on niece Amy's DH and his throat cancer treatments.  He has one more chemo treatment and 3 more weeks of radiation.  He has lost 18 pounds and he's always been thin, is too sick to do anything so I pray he can get through these coming weeks and begin to recover from it all. His throat must feel awful.@JAM37Julia, it was good to hear from you.  I'm glad you had a good cruise.  You must still be in Florida.  Tell your DMIL happy birthday!  

Some interesting days today for us to salute.  For retro day, I remember all the wild colors, styles and patterns during the 60's and 70's.  I have some interesting photos of us too!  Strawberries are good but I don't have anything strawberry in the house today!  No ice cream, yogurt, preserves or the actual berries themselves.  Totally unprepared!  Polar bears are amazing looking animals but I prefer to stay far away from them.  Looking is fine.  The albondigas mention didn't remind me of anything until I saw the albondigas soup in Debbie's post.  Don't they have that on the menu on HAL ships?  I've never ordered it.  Looks good though.  I had never heard of Ilfracombe, England until today.  Nice to hear it's actually on a HAL itinerary but sorry you won't be able to go there this year@kazuJacqui.  Maybe next year or the year after.  Wish I could go on that cruise with you.  We all may be sticking to safe countries like England for several years.  I'm worried about all the Baltic countries right now.  Before my friends got off the Enchanted Princess last weekend they booked the Island Princess cruise to the Baltics that DH and I had cancelled earlier in February.  I have no idea why they would think that was a good idea at this point in time, but I guess Princess and other Carnival Corp. cruiselines will be sending out new itineraries very soon.  They announced yesterday they won't be going to Russia now.  Thank goodness!

Everyone have a great Sunday!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Hi Roy.

We are at church every Sunday morning when we are not on holiday.

Our church which is on my Avatar has been open for several months for services.

Most of us still wear our masks in church and holy communion is bread only.

Father David WhatsApps us the sermon around 7.30am and has since the church was originally closed by UK lockdown rules in 2020.

I have always WhatsApped the service to a CC friend in Texas and now I post it on here.

Father David is delighted to hear friends in Canada and USA on here enjoy his sermons.

It is Ash Wednesday next week.

I'm pleased you had a great cruise and hope you are well after your long radiology sessions.

Graham.

Graham,

Father David has a special gift for being inspirational in a short segment.

We look forward to listening.  Appreciate your sharing with us in the U.S.  Good news travels.

Ed & Jan

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

@dfish,Debbie, Wow! All of the recipes look great and we have leftover cooked rice as well as cilantro in the refrigerator. Tana picked the first recipe and we will make a separate  vegetable  only version for  our non carnivores.  I am excited to make a new dish.

Our Indian paneer last night was very good if I might say so myself. I got freshly based Naan bread from the market yesterday that was a big hit. 

We do love our family meals every night and thank you again for the lovely ideas.

• Like 32

Good Morning Dailyites!

I faithfully read The Daily at various times during each day. Although I don’t post often, I lurk most days and follow your stories, photos, memes. So glad Rich, Roy, and the F&B people keep us in a good frame of mind. My only complaint is that after viewing your terrific photos and reading about your travel adventures, our Bucket List grows exponentially, LOL!  Isn’t it supposed to become shorter?

We don’t have any immediate cruises on the horizon, but will hop Amtrak to DC for a weekend getaway. Hoping the weather is pleasant because it’s a terrific walking city. And we will need to walk — a lot — to burn off some of the restaurant meals we  have booked, LOL!

The news from Eastern Europe is so grim that we made a donation to a trusted charity this weekend.

Although the CDC and the Commonwealth of Virginia have eased up on mask wearing, we continue to do so. We’ve made it so far and want to see the other side of this scourge. After all, we added a November week to our 2 weeks on the Nieuw Statendam in December and want to ensure we get to our first B2B2B! The third week is compliments of winning the Bingo cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam last December 🙂

So many of you are dealing with challenges that I am sure I would find overwhelming and yet you share beauty and humor with readers here. 

Thank you all for continuing to ensure this is such a peaceful and caring refuge during turbulent times.

-Cat

• Like 36

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Great collection of days. I think polar bears are amazing and hope that they continue to survive. This is strawberry time in Florida. Strawbery Festivals everywhere and the fruit is big and delicious. Just cleaned a bunch for strawberry shortcake later.  Not really into retro although I do prefer the music to what is popular now.

Never been to todays port.  

We continue to pray for all on the lists and especially the people of Ukraine. I just cannot imagine their anguish.

I am playing golf later with my son and nephew. Dont usually play on Sunday but they convinced me. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 27

40 minutes ago, July_Cruiser said:

Graham,

Father David has a special gift for being inspirational in a short segment.

We look forward to listening.  Appreciate your sharing with us in the U.S.  Good news travels.

Ed & Jan

You are very welcome Ed & Jan.

Father David is a really nice person who has been our church vicar for 20 years.

He did our Sarah's wedding service and Pauline and My Mam and Dad's funeral services.

It is my late Dad's memory on March 5th and David included my dad's memory during prayers.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 24

Unless the Zuiderdam pool has been remodeled, I hope to see the polar bear & cub statues lifeguarding at the pool this afternoon as we walk around our new 'home'! Off to pray for peace this morning and the San Diego Harbor in the afternoon. Thank you for all of the good wishes and 'Bon Voyages'. 🌴

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

A few years ago I did some genealogy research for a friend whose grandparents were from Ukraine.....last night she asked if I could find any possible descendants from those grandparents who may still be living in Ukraine....I've been working on it for several hours this morning....nothing new tho...

I am sure she is hoping to reach out and help in any way possible....

Sunflowers from Ukraine.....sure hope there is some good news soon.....!!!

sunflowers.jpg

• Like 32

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Father David WhatsApps us the sermon around 7.30am and has since the church was originally closed by UK lockdown rules in 2020.

I have always WhatsApped the service to a CC friend in Texas and now I post it on here.

Father David is delighted to hear friends in Canada and USA on here enjoy his sermons.

Is the sermon you post his entire sermon? I rarely go under 25 minutes with mine, and have been known to go much longer.

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

Some of the Dailyites may have had the pleasure of seeing pianist Naki Attaman preform on BHBs or other cruise lines.  He posted this on FB Friday, and gave me permission to share it with all the Daily readers.  He said what I have been feeling better than I could.

- Dear friends…as you all know, a terrible,
merciless and unfair war is taking place in the middle of Europe, as I write this. I have endless amount of good friends and colleagues from both Ukraine and Russia. I’m in no position or mood to argue who is right or wrong, but my heart and prayers go out to all the innocent Ukrainian people who are under attack and don’t know what to do or where to go. It’s a terrible situation to be in.
This is the 21st century and we have already been through two world wars…is it too much to ask to take lessons from our past recent history?!
Today we are all Ukrainians….stop this senseless war, please !!

May be an image of text that says 'STOP THE WAR, PLEASE Naki SAVAŞI DURDURUN, LÜTFEN'

All his posts are in both English and Turkish, including the meme above.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Good morning everyone,

It's a sunny but still windy day here in SoFlo,.

DH had a great night's sleep last night, said it was nice that no one woke him up to take blood.

Just planning a relaxing day today, maybe get tax paperwork completed.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List, and happy times to those on the celebrations list.

Mary

• Like 26

Good morning all from a wet PNW.

We have Rain for the next 4 days, and then "chance of rain" for the following 3 days....but the temperatures are rising, so that's good.  The moss loves this weather. 🙄

I love polar bears and strawberries are my favorite berry.  I just wish our season was longer, it only lasts a few weeks in June-July.  Retro TV and music are good, fashion not always so good.

Will pass on the meal, we aren't much into soups plus I would have to change so much (like take out all the cilantro and cumin), it probably wouldn't be the same meal at all. Have never been to the port of the day and will pass on the red wine.  The drink sounds good!

Yesterday I got my Sweet Peas seeds. I like Ed Hume's "Old Spice", they're highly fragrant.  They're soaking before planting for quicker germination.  This afternoon we're going down to DS and DDIL's for lunch.  I expect to hear more about the lawsuit against the seller and realtors of the house they're buying.  What a mess. 😞  

Bon Voyage @dchipand @Norseh2o!

@Sea ViewerI'm glad your DH had a good, restful sleep last night.  I'm sure he's so happy to be home.

• Like 27

Good morning from sunny and breezy Quartzsite.  We should reach 68F this afternoon.

Polar bears are interesting, and we saw a mother with her cubs and a male when we did scenic cruising in Spitzbergen in 2016.  I hope their habitat can be saved.  Except for music, I'm not too much into retro, although I like some of the new fashions that remind us of 1960s styles.  Love strawberries, but none in the house.  Hope we get some on the Koningsdam.

The quote is a good one.  We'll pass on the meal, and drink.  The wine sounds nice, and it has a decent price.

We have not been to Ilfracombe, but hope to get there some day.

A week from now we'll be on the road heading to San Diego and the Koningsdam.  I think yesterday, I finally got everything lined up as far as mail and parking.  Both had to be redone since we added another week on our cruise.  The easiest thing was to cancel the reservation for the car and rebook it.  This time there was a promo code that saved us an additional $3/day, and now we are only paying $7 more for four weeks that we would have paid for three weeks.  Now all we need to do is to begin getting our clothes and all the rest of the stuff we take organized and ready to pack on Saturday.  We'll get our Covid tests Friday.

@kazu  More good memes.  Thanks

@cat shepard  Again, more good memes.  Thanks

@JAM37  Julia, glad the cruise was good and you had a chance to relax.  Say Happy Birthday to your DMIL.

@aliaschief  Glad you are feeling better.  Take it easy for a few more days.

@Ichiban Nekko  Enjoy your DC get away.

@Norseh2o  Bon Voyage!  Have a great cruise.

@Sea Viewer  Good news that your DH had a good nights sleep.

Lenda

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

Rainy day in the Pacific Northwest, with 2 to 3 inches expected over the next 48 hours, so definitely an indoor day in store for us, but welcome after a week of dry sunny weather with stagnant air, Dear Dad had bad congestion from it.  The colder air was nice, and took care of any early appearing insects (deep freezes have some benefit).  It's also a good day for searching cruise itineraries again, we are STILL undecided on what we want to do and I wouldn't be surprised if we just book Alaska again, even though Dear Dad wants longer trips, and he desperately wants to go to western South America, but HAL has yet to put up any sailings, nor have very many other lines.  But it appears things are constantly changing.  

I'm with @Sea Viewer and have to get some tax documents together myself today.  

@dchip  One of my favorite terminals, and great view you have, I always stay there myself so I can wake up and see my ship smiling back at me.  

@Cruising-along  The moss at our place is taking over.  Agree on taking out the Cilantro, I've never been able to tolerate the potency of it, even in small amounts.  

@marshhawk My cat will not go under the covers no matter what's under there (even food). 

I hope everybody is doing well, your always in my thoughts and prayers even when I don't get to the group as often as I'd like.  

Have a great Sunday/Monday!

~Bruno

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Does attending a meeting with your spouse constitute a date?  Well that's what happened last night.  So i got to read, but never come back and post.

@StLouisCruisers Interesting news about Jen's arm.  Could be her fall unlodged a pinched nerve? I hope she is doing better.

Belgium to me is a blur memory of childhood overdosing on chocolate.  I must be an addict, as I continue to over indulge in it.

About strawberries, we are getting Florida strawberries, but they are not ripe.  How do you ripen a strawberry?  Is there a secret?  Before they all dried out in the fridge, I cut some up yesterday, threw in two tablespoons of VT maple syrup, and had them on Keto frozen waffles.  The rest of the berries are turning into leather.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 25

First of all, thank you for your concern over my 'amnesia' issue last week. I have been fine, and hopefully will stay that way.

@lynanken and @dfishIt was reassuring to hear of someone else that this has happened to.  And to hear it never happened again. 

@dfishToday's recipe sounds great.  We love soup. I will have to get all the ingredients  and try it.

@JazzyVYour bread looked delicious You do a lot of baking. My 12 year old DGS has the sourdough starter and makes great bread, garlic knots and pizza crust.  Wish he lived closer so we could enjoy it.

@smitty34877Camilla is so cute.  She is getting so big. Thinking positive thought for Tana. She is very lucky to have you and your family in her life.

It has been a busy week here, and I am finally caught up on The Daily. The 2 1/2 yr old DGS was here a lot this week, including a sleepover one night.  He does keep us busy, but he's great at night.  Went to bed before 8 with out a peep, and didn't wake up until 8. Won't see him this week, as his Dad has tested positive for Covid. DD is a personal trainer, so she can't work, again.  And her washing machine died on her, so you know who is doing all her laundry.  LOL

Prayers for all those suffering from medical issues.

@kazuYou and Jose, and Marley, remain in my thought and prayers.  Positive thoughts for continuing improvement, and please look after yourself.  You need to stay healthy and strong for them. Hugs.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HAL4NOW said:

Is the sermon you post his entire sermon? I rarely go under 25 minutes with mine, and have been known to go much longer.

Our church service runs from 10.15am to 11.30am.

There are Hymns,readings,peace, service,holy communion and prayers.

The sermon itself is usually about 7 minutes.

We usually have a 5-10 minutes chat with our vicar outside the church before leaving.

Graham.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1