CVS Test: “Not Accepted for Most Travel”

dman1

To use the app for a proctored test you have to buy a proctored test... you pay extra for that service. The BinaxNow without the proctored paid fee are the same tests but cheaper because you aren't paying for the proctoring. You can't add on the proctored fee to a test that didn't include it when you bought it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Something to consider, some have posted that their CVS test was refused at the pier because CVS does not provide the lab CLIA certification number on the test results. 

I have used the CVS test several times with no issue, but others have reported denied boarding.

Well that's a nuisance.  Given that CVS is so ubiquitous, you'd think that Royal would mention something about this.  It's not like they're a mom and pop pharmacy, there's got to be a significant enough percentage of pax that would use them.

• Like 1

Had a minor delay at check-in from Galveston last Wed 2/23 boarding Adventure of the Seas with CVS test paperwork that I had printed.  The initial people said my printout didn't say "negative" clearly enough & wasn't acceptable so I had to step aside and log in to CVS MyChart to screen shot another version. There were several others in the same situation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

49 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Just curious, as the USPS delivered them yesterday, does anyone know if the "Biden" tests are acceptable for cruising?  Not seeing anything regarding proctoring but there is an app where supposedly you can receive and store your results.

No, not acceptable as it isn’t monitored. The only home tests acceptable are the monitored ones. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Just curious, as the USPS delivered them yesterday, does anyone know if the "Biden" tests are acceptable for cruising?  Not seeing anything regarding proctoring but there is an app where supposedly you can receive and store your results.

I wondered the same thing. I finally got mine after a 5 week wait and now see they’re made in China🙄But on the box it does have an app you can download and says you can get a QR code with your results. It would be great if we could use them because at this point it’s the only reason I would use them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

No, they are Not accepted by cruise lines.   You must do either the proctored at home test or one done by a certified lab that administered at CVS, Walgreens or other locations such as urgent care facilities. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Does CVS charge for the tests? Do we need an appointment for the test? I'm cruising out of Galveston in 3 weeks and I need to make sure I have a place to get tested prior to my cruise.

We did not get charged but we're both on Medicare, so not sure if that's the reason or not but you can ask them. Yes, you need an appointment. Make it ASAP, as they tend to fill up rather quickly, especially if in a popular cruise location.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broons77 said:

Remember...the free tests were never intended to provide official results for travel.  That was clear from the beginning when the free tests were announced.  They are intended to give you quick information regarding your Covid status for making decisions about the normal purposes of life.  They enable you to check yourself after possible exposure and make informed decisions about going to work, school, or family gatherings.

For example, although I am vaxed and boosted, I developed a runny nose, sneezing, and some mild cold symptoms recently.  I had no fever, but I didn't want to take a chance on infecting anyone at my granddaughter's birthday gathering, so I used a home test.  I didn't need an official proctor, I just needed to know my status.  It was negative.  My symptoms turned out to be an allergic reaction to a flowering plant that a friend had gifted us.  

It was great to have the quick, easy, and free resource.

Edited by foxgoodrich
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Does CVS charge for the tests? Do we need an appointment for the test? I'm cruising out of Galveston in 3 weeks and I need to make sure I have a place to get tested prior to my cruise.

CVS opens their appointments 13 days before your required test date. Be on the website at 12:01 AM of the date the appointments open as they will fill up fast.

Make sure when the questionnaire comes up, check the first two statements (has been in an area with high transmission and will be in an area with high transmission - don't remember the exact wording but this is the gist of the statements) to qualify for free testing.

• Like 1

Just now, Homosassa said:

CVS opens their appointments 13 days before your required test date. Be on the website at 12:01 AM of the date the appointments open as they will fill up fast.

Make sure when the questionnaire comes up, check the first two statements (has been in an area with high transmission and will be in an area with high transmission - don't remember the exact wording but this is the gist of the statements) to qualify for free testing.

CVS only offers the covid testing at sites that have their minute clinic at the store.

In our case, we had to travel sixty miles to the closest CVS that offered testing.

I suggest you get on the CVS website and identify a  CVS test site that you can get to while in Texas.

I also just heard (can't remember where) that CVS will no longer offer testing as of March 16.

Walgreens may also be an option if there are any in the area you will be visiting. However, their appointments only open three days before the date of testing.

We also had backup appointments at Walgreens in case CVS fell through. Good thing CVS worked out as the night before our Walgreens appointment, I received a phone call that the Walgreens in our county were no longer doing testing on the weekend (we needed a Saturday appointment).

We had no trouble with our CVS appt. on Jan 15th for our Navigator cruise on the 17th. Results were emailed to us in about 20min printed them out and no trouble with them at the port they had all the needed info on them....so easy !!! No charge but we did have to show our insurance cards.

• Thanks 3

Be careful with CVS, make multiple appointments at different locations to be safe as CVS doesnt have the best track record with us over multiple different locations.
First time I used them I needed PCR 72 hours before entry, got the results over 90 hours later. Fortunately the border guard going into Canada let me in.
Second time using them they canceled our rapid tests the morning we were set to get them and the day before we were leaving for a cruise. Luckily 2 of us got tests at another CVS miles away, the others had to get tests at Miami airport.

recently for a trip to Europe we scheduled a PCR 72 hours before and a rapid the day we left in case PCR failed to show up. PCR was late again and luckly we got rapid results in time for flight.

• Like 1