Will you still wear a mask?

Dreamcruise27

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

I'm pretty sure surgeons wear surgical masks so THEY don't infect the patient.  They're not intended to keep the surgeon from being infected in the operating room.

The same is true with Covid. Unless you're correctly wearing an N95/KN95 mask (which is only 95% effective, you wear a surgical mask to protect your fellow humans from YOUR germs and contain them as much as possible to your mouth and nose and mask filtering system..  That's how they are effective.  

Just to add that surgeons, nurses and medical personnel wear medical grade masks in the operating room or in the hospital environment.  Many of the cheap disposable "surgical masks" that people buy are not actually medical grade.  Even with N-95, there are differences between standard N-95 respirators and surgical N-95 respirators.

I wear a mask in more crowded areas because I know in order to travel on a ship or overseas, I must test negative beforehand….even vaccinated you can test positive….I am not willing to take a chance until pre testing for any travels I have planned are ended…that includes getting back in the US after being in Europe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

so if they are 80% effective in protecting oneself, that means 20% of the virus gets through and protects you... Would you wear a bulletproof vest that is 80% effective against a barrage of bullets? 

Yes, I would wear a bulletproof vest that stops bullets 80% of the time.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

That would actually be an incredibly effective vest. And they're bullet resistant, not bullet proof. And there are ratings that are beyond the scope of this thread. By far. But none of them would stop a barrage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

so if they are 80% effective in protecting oneself, that means 20% of the virus gets through and protects you... Would you wear a bulletproof vest that is 80% effective against a barrage of bullets? 

Pretty much every week.  Only torso protection, but hey, the analogy was a little rough. 😳

8 minutes ago, markeb said:

That would actually be an incredibly effective vest. And they're bullet resistant, not bullet proof. And there are ratings that are beyond the scope of this thread. By far. But none of them would stop a barrage.

Often times I don my bullet "resistant" vest before I log on to CC...it can get scary in here  🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

39 minutes ago, macaroni said:

I wear a mask in more crowded areas because I know in order to travel on a ship or overseas, I must test negative beforehand….even vaccinated you can test positive….I am not willing to take a chance until pre testing for any travels I have planned are ended…that includes getting back in the US after being in Europe.

Yup, that's (again) what's sad ..  having to worry as much or more over the protocols than the consequences of catching the bug.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Often times I don my bullet "resistant" vest before I log on to CC...it can get scary in here  🤪

Flame retardant's probably more useful around here! 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

Flame retardant's probably more useful around here! 

Are you flaming me @markeb  😁 I was just accused of being snarky in another thread, I can take it though, with my new vest

Edited by LGW59
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, chamima said:

CovidMask.jpg

That's results, but not the underlying test protocol I was hoping to see.  It appears to be from"ACGIH's Pandemic Response Task Force", taken from CDC data somewhere.  ACGIH traditionally manages its own testing.

Again, is it possible to have a link to the page you did the photo from so that I can dig back deeper into the protocol and the data to see how this test was performed (if there was an internal BEI test performed, one of ACGIH's functions ... or it could just be accumulated CDC metadata from somewhere).  The devil is always in the details.

On 3/1/2022 at 11:49 AM, sfcsu said:

I wear a mask indoors.  Even on Reflection right now with under 900 passengers, and especially when talking to staff.  They are mostly double masked - all day!   It's rude, imo, to possibly put them at risk.   I don't wear one outdoors, and of course at meals.  Most people on board aren't masked anywhere.

Be sure to wear your Sunscreen so they don't get sun burned 🙂 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, canderson said:

That's results, but not the underlying test protocol I was hoping to see.

The results on the chart are surprising as they are from early 2021 and at about the levels of protection I would have expected to see for the much higher contagious Omicron variant.

7 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I dear say I agree with you logic.   

My daughter had a Bone Marrow Transplant and the doctor in advance warned that there was a 20% chance of death.   He then pointed out that 80% sounds like good odds but to put it into perspective,  If I told you that if you cross the street 5 times and that you would be hit and killed once in five would you cross the street.  

It really made us think. Happily even though she coded and has some residual brain damage she has survived for 25 years now. 

• Like 8

12 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I think this tread has finally run its course, no we are arguing over 80% effective bullet proof vests. LOL

Oh I heard they added 80% bullet proof vests as a new benefit in premium suites.  It has been rumored that it is fashionable for Chic nights to wear one.

This odd turn of the thread got me thinking...

I'm much more comfortable wearing even an old school (heavier) vest than a mask.  When masks were required, I also often noted how much the masks I was wearing screwed with my downward peripheral vision.  

50 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Oh I heard they added 80% bullet proof vests as a new benefit in premium suites.  It has been rumored that it is fashionable for Chic nights to wear one.

I was thinking a full hazmat suite with respirator would be more appropriate.

Dupont Encapsulated Suit,  3XL,  1 ,  Yellow,  Tychem(R) 10000,  Zipper TK555TLY3X000100

• Haha 4