The Daily for Friday 03/04/2022

richwmn

Good morning. I was able to hug  a GI last week when I saw my nephew.He has returned from 11 months in Africa with his National Guard unit.I like the idea of Holy experiment day.I am glad I am no longer an employee  in employer but I certainly  appreciate those who are working  now.

We have not. been to the port and I am still thinking about the quote.I do remember  being "head over heels" about DH in those early days   but I find now the love is something deeper and more significant. 

A big thank you once again to all who wished Tana  well with this latest setback.The dogs and I kept her company last night and we finally fell asleep after 3 or so.There is something  about the night that can make things  more difficult. 

@ger_77, I hope you and DH were able to get more sleep last night.I am thinking of you both.

We will pass on smoked salmon but we are making a baked salmon sheet pan recipe tonight that everyone  likes.Hooray!

Terry

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Happy Friday!

Good collection of days. I like the story about the Holy Experiment Day. My DSIL is in the Guard, so I will hug him. The drink doesn’t appeal to me, but the wine surely does. I’ve had some great Sicilian wines. 

I’ve never been to the port, but it sounds fun. My Key West stop for the cruise next week finally got moved to Nassau - darn it. But hey - I will still be on a cruise!

Should be a wonderful warm day here in the 70’s again. We cool off next week to the low 60’s but it’s still better than Michigan’s weather, so I won’t complain. That’s why we moved south. 

Prayers to those on the care list, and cheers to those on the other list. 

• Like 22

Good morning everyone. I slept late this am and found the aide didn’t wake Sam in time for his medical appointment. I am practicing mindfulness and trying to keep myself from anger at this man who is passive aggressive.

Praying for the brave people of Ukraine . I can not imagine how scared and desperate they must feel. My father was born in Odessa which was then part of Russia but is now part of Ukraine. He came to the states when he was 2. 
Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 27

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning.

Thanks to Rich and Roy for the lists.

Interesting group of days.  

As for today, we have lots of things going on.  DH has abdominal pain and not sure what it is.  Saw the doc on Tuesday and ordered a CT scan.  First available is March 11.  This is not sitting well with us since we leave for Europe on April 4.  Not really sure what is going on.  He did have a strangulated hernia a number of years ago and needed emergency surgery in Rome and then it recurred and needed surgery again two years later.  Sure hope it is not another recurrence.

That seems like a long wait when he is in pain, especially with his previous history, hope he gets relief soon

Yesterday was another busy day with doctor visits for DH. Fortunately I was able to be with him with the cardiologist's exam. I had not met him before was very impressed with him. He made some minor changes to the medications (again!) but explained that lifestyle choices were going to have the greatest impact on his health. Fingers crossed that he will take it to "heart" His son is getting married later this year so that may be a good motivator.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List, and thankful there are so many on the celebration list.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Prayers for all who need them and for the people of Ukraine.

Update on SIL.  She had 4 stents inserted.  Hope the heart issues were why she was not feeling well and things will improve.  She is in a hospital but will go to a rehab shortly.

Leaving on 3/20 on Anthem of the Seas for two weeks.  It sure sounded good when I booked all these trips months and months ago to use up FCC!  Friends ask if I ever get tired of cruising and I say “No, but I do get tired of packing and unpacking”.  Lots of medical/dental appointments to get through before we leave.

Thanks to all who post.  Katherine 

• Like 31

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  On Hug a GI day I'll think of our National Guard, trained for war but now deployed testing people for Covid, and perhaps soon dealing with a Convoy outside Washington.  Holy Experiment Day seems to be influenced largely by Quakers and I'll salute it.  Hard pressed employees deserve all the appreciation they can get.  Not sure what to make of the quote.  Been to Ocho Rios just once.  Since I don't eat seafood, I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Blackberry Soup, Penne Primvera, and Mango and Berry Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam March 4, 2019.

dishes04.jpg

Today’s care list:

Kakalina with esophageal blockage and numbered days
Ukraine

StLouisCruiser’s niece Jen with post fall complications
Sea Viewer DH bruised from fall
Strength for Jacqui Jose, the doctors and a happy remaining life for Marley
Welfare of furloughed crews
ger_77 DH Cardiac issues and procedure March 7
Tana with pneumonia
Cruzn single post-covid fatigue
From the rotation:
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise
StLouisCruisers Niece DH undergoing throat cancer chemo
Marshhawk awaiting surgery
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with passengers
Special status for Kazu
2 days for Aliaschief and dwaliaschief (Azamara quest to 3/17)
2 days for kb4683 (Nieuw Statendam to 3/16)
2 days for Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3)
Marshhawk returning to AA meetings
ottahand7 (Nieuw Statendam to 3/6),  DeeniEncinitas (Riviera to  3/8)  Mr. Boston (Nieuw Amsterdam to 3/5) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3) at sea
cunnorl taking over golf tournament for injured friend
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for the care and shout out lists. You are very caring

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

It is 43°F and raining here.

We had a lovely Italian breakfast this morning.

IMG_20220304_100313.jpg

That doesn't look very Italian! But bacon doesn't look English.

Edited by Sea Viewer
  • Like 11
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

That seems like a long wait when he is in pain, especially with his previous history, hope he gets relief soon

Thanks for your concern.  That is the best we could do.  The original date was March 18.  i called back and begged and pleaded and they changed it to March 11. But we have to travel 25 miles away to get the earlier date.  

That’s the way it is when you live in the boondocks.  Gosh, how I miss New York City.  20 years and it still isn’t out of my system.

Terri

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from a very windy Quartzsite.

Employees deserve appreciation everyday, especially those who worked during the last two years.  Holy Experiment Day is a good day to celebrate all the different people and religions of the world.  DH was a GI and I'll give him a hug when he gets up.

The quote is good, but sometimes love does grow over time.

Cedar planked salmon is good, but I'm not fond of regular smoked salmon since I find it too dry.  I'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds good.

We have been to Ocho Rios twice.  In 1975, we went with a group from the Engineering Department at du Pont, and spent a week at a resort in Falmouth.  We rented a car for three days and had a great time touring around.  Our second visit was to Ocho Rios in 1996 or 1997 where we hired a taxi for the day in Ocho Rios.  I'not sure about going back anytime soon.

This morning , we're heading to Parker for out Covid tests, and we just hope it goes better than it did in November.

There was an email this morning from HAL that our borading time has been moved back 20 minutes.

I better go get ready, and I'll check back later.

Lenda 

• Like 25

👍Thank you for The Daily, Rich @richwmnand to Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration Lists. Some much needed sprinkles today.😊 

🛳️I read that Princess Cruises is modifying their itineraries on calls to St. Petersburg in light of the recent attacks on Ukraine.

🙏Prayers for all in need today and stand for peace.

Katie

20220304_075011.jpg

• Like 26

Good morning. Sunny now, but temps are due to drop and we are supposedly in for 3-4 days of rain?snow?hail? sleet? or maybe not.... weather gurus can not make up their minds. I will head out in a few minutes to pick up some last minute items just in case but my own feeling is it is going to by-pass us. If not, rain hopefully.  The roofers at the shelter are securing everything just in case. We did get the new structural beams in place and some other interior work done this week with minimal disruptions. Glad to see the progress.

Sending out prayers and best wishes to all on the care lists. And special prayers for the Ukrainian people and those assisting them. What a nightmare!!!

• Like 21

My morning took an unexpected turn today. I was just getting ready to get on the treadmill when I got a text from my neighbor asking if I would be interested in helping pack boxes of supplies for Ukrainian refugees. Well, sure! A quick change of clothes & we were off. Went to a warehouse that was stocked with boxes of donations - really heartwarming to see how generous people are! Apparently Amazon has an arrangement that you can order a donation and it gets sent to this warehouse. Hadn't heard about this before, but obviously others had. Truly a bright spot in the middle of the horror.

• Like 32

Good morning, Dailyites.  (Haha, for the first time, my MacBook hasn't changed Dailyites to something else.  Finally recognized as a real word!)   Lots of prayers to say today, for my friends here and especially for the Ukraine.  Just so wish there was more that could be done, outside of causing another world war...

We spent yesterday organizing flights to England and Copenhagen for our cruise in July.  We eventually were able to use some of the credit we had stashed away with Air Canada.  Working on hotels now.

I know I have been to Jamaica, I have the charm, but it was a long time ago (teenager?) and must have been completely forgettable.

My favourite breakfast on a bhb - smoked salmon and a pecan pastry (the picture shows an apple pastry, they must have been out of the pecan ones but you get the idea.

IMG_6018.thumb.JPG.fd32e0dfddc6b0fe3ff060a3ae15e53d.JPG

Spring has sprung here, it seems.  Temps in the 50's, lots of flowers.  My poor hellebores are just recovering from the freezes we had last month, they had pretty much fallen right over, now they are beginning to hold their heads up again.

• Like 26

Good morning, all! I don’t have employees, and won’t likely get the chance to hug a GI today. However, I CAN have oatmeal in a tribute to Quakers, so that will have to do. We have a fillet of smoked salmon in the freezer, and tonight seems like a perfect day for it.

We've never been to Ocho Rios, but it’s on the itinerary of one of our upcoming cruises this fall. Or maybe it was one of the cruises that was cancelled last fall. It’s hard to keep track.

We are having a ‘read in bed’ morning. It’s just so peaceful with the bad neighbours gone. Neighbours are starting to come out on their balconies to relax again. Life is good.

I brought some eucalyptus home from California, and did a test print yesterday. Some varieties print a beautiful bright red, and sure enough, one of the types I picked did. I’m very pleased. If only I’d known, I could have stuck with that variety. Eucalyptus doesn’t grow here, so it’s a rare commodity. I can’t wait to sort it out and use it on some real pieces.

805965D8-03AE-4443-A54B-8BDEE10821E5.thumb.jpeg.ca273b4b94171ad858979c559adcbf57.jpeg

Happy Friday, especially to those lucky enough to be packing for a voyage on a BHB this weekend!

D499343B-7470-4C27-B062-93CFFC9167D3.thumb.jpeg.6ecd4a7f21652ee429309e2bd1fe9c4f.jpeg

• Like 28

4 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

As for today, we have lots of things going on.  DH has abdominal pain and not sure what it is.  Saw the doc on Tuesday and ordered a CT scan.  First available is March 11.  This is not sitting well with us since we leave for Europe on April 4.  Not really sure what is going on.  He did have a strangulated hernia a number of years ago and needed emergency surgery in Rome and then it recurred and needed surgery again two years later.  Sure hope it is not another recurrence.

Sorry @Cruzin Terri to hear that Terri.  DH and I are actually just back from DH having a fluoroscopy for his stomach pain that’s been going on for 12 years.

Apparently it’s not related to his hiatal hernia but they can’t seem to find out what causes it. He was medivac off a plane on our way back from Israel one time. I think something, maybe an intestine spasms ad twists and finally after excruciating pain flips back into place. That’s my laypersons diagnosis from dealing with it all these years 🤪. There’s no rhyme nor reason for it’s occurrence but interesting he doesn’t have an attack on a BHB.

Hope they find a reason and a treatment for both of our DH’s. Take care. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily @richwmn and to all contributors.

A salute to employees and Holy Experiment Day. I'd hug a GI if one were around. It's also National Grammar Day.

Not sure I agree with the quote; it can take time for love to develop.

I will pass on any fish meal. Also on the drink, but the wine sounds good.

I've never been to Jamaica, and hear not so good things about it.

It was cold this AM, but it's sunny and going up into the 40's. 60's the next few days but rainy, then some possible snow on Tuesday. I did ok yesterday until around 3, then had to take something for the headache. I'll see how it goes today. At the big box store when I stopped after dinner with BFF, there were still about 50% of people wearing masks, even after the relaxation of requirements.

@kazu I hope your weather permits visiting Jose today.

@grapau27 Nice breakfast. Thanks for the explanation of Holy Experiment Day.

@Cruzin Terri I'm sorry to hear DH isn't feeling well and can't get the CT scan sooner. 

@ger_77 Perfect coffee meme!

@ottahand7 Congrats on becoming 4 star!

@StLouisCruisers Continued prayers for Jen and Amy's DH. 

@smitty34877 Prayers for Tana. Blessings to you for keeping her company last night.

@mamaofami Ugh on the aide not waking Sam so that he missed his appointment! Ridiculous. 

@Sea Viewer I hope DH makes the changes he needs to.

@Lady Hudson Hopefully SIL will feel lots better with the stents and getting more circulation to her heart.

@NextOne Yes it's nice to see people generously donating to help the people fleeing Ukraine.

@aliaschief Yay on the negative tests!

Prayers for the Care List. Extra prayers for Ukraine, the refugees and those helping. Insane what Putin is doing, and I fear his nuclear capability and ruthlessness.

A Cheer for the Celebration List.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thanks all!  Never been to Jamaica, and no desire.   Am severely allergic to smoked salmon so .DH has my share!  Love the Nero D’ Avila.  We drank it nearly every day on our last med cruise and visited one of the wineries! Yum! 

@Cruzin Terri hope your DH gets the help he needs, better at home than away.

anyone else having their posts go poof?  

942055EF-CCB6-4F24-8EF3-EB2DEE346304.jpeg

448C22B5-57C5-4A83-902B-902DE3B7412E.jpeg

D603503C-AA0A-4E8B-BFBC-CFDBB05A32A3.jpeg

815BAB5A-B028-45EA-87E5-8520BA2C33F3.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Prayers for all who need them and for the people of Ukraine.

Update on SIL.  She had 4 stents inserted.  Hope the heart issues were why she was not feeling well and things will improve.  She is in a hospital but will go to a rehab shortly.

Leaving on 3/20 on Anthem of the Seas for two weeks.  It sure sounded good when I booked all these trips months and months ago to use up FCC!  Friends ask if I ever get tired of cruising and I say “No, but I do get tired of packing and unpacking”.  Lots of medical/dental appointments to get through before we leave.

Thanks to all who post.  Katherine 

Sending your SIL best wishes that the 4 stents solve any heart issues she has.

Graham.

• Like 18

Good afternoon all,

Its looking like rain now, so not sure if it’s “safe “ to ride or not. Tomorrow my group has a special mountain bike ride/ open house, so I hope that’s still a go.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Lovely printing. If it was legal, I’d be willing to supply you with lots of eucalyptus. Somehow I don’t think our governments would be in favor.

3 hours ago, NextOne said:

My morning took an unexpected turn today. I was just getting ready to get on the treadmill when I got a text from my neighbor asking if I would be interested in helping pack boxes of supplies for Ukrainian refugees. Well, sure! A quick change of clothes & we were off. Went to a warehouse that was stocked with boxes of donations - really heartwarming to see how generous people are! Apparently Amazon has an arrangement that you can order a donation and it gets sent to this warehouse. Hadn't heard about this before, but obviously others had. Truly a bright spot in the middle of the horror.

I wish they had something like that here. I’d go pack.

For anyone interested in genealogy, RootsTech ( online genealogy convention  associated with FamilySearch (LDS)) started yesterday. It’s free, you can still sign up if interested.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2