Can I refuse a butler?

mscdivina2016

SInce MSC has not fixed my magical $1800+ fare increase despite being paid in full since last July, We are still going in a few days for our b2b Seaview sailing.

I am not happy about the hoops I eventually will need to jump thru and the time I have already wasted. As a consumer of alcohol products I don't want to interact with anyone really as I am not going to give a fake front. 

I would like to politely decline the butler and all of their services. 

• Like 1

I would just go to Concierge and request no Butler services or interaction.

I would ask that room steward servicing of room be done when you are out of cabin. 
“ we really value our privacy and would prefer no Butler services in our cabin or on board”.

It actually did bother us that Butler was able to track us around ship and constantly questioned why we went out of YC .  (We ate at Buffet a couple of times )

Good luck and try to enjoy yourselves.

Pat

The butlers perform so many service duties that I don’t see how you can as a practical matter refuse. They take drink orders, they service the cabins, and perform many tasks not associated with “butlering”. 

I guess I would just tell your assigned butler when you meet him or her that you prefer just the basics, you don’t want to be accompanied but all these services are such an integral part of the YC it will be awkward. 

I understand your anger but maybe redirect it and go with an open mind relative to the very hard working butlers?

1 hour ago, TrinaLC said:

The butlers perform so many service duties that I don’t see how you can as a practical matter refuse. They take drink orders, they service the cabins, and perform many tasks not associated with “butlering”. 

I guess I would just tell your assigned butler when you meet him or her that you prefer just the basics, you don’t want to be accompanied but all these services are such an integral part of the YC it will be awkward. 

I understand your anger but maybe redirect it and go with an open mind relative to the very hard working butlers?

Cant do that.   How is that going to go.......Hello sir, are you enjoying your day? NO, thanks to the screw up at the home office I was forced to pay another 30% for no reason at all or I will loose over $6000

Is there anything I can do for you? Yes, have the home office fix the screw up.

How is your room? Not worth the extra $1800 overcharge.

Doesn't the crew represent the company?  The same company that is doing another screw job on me?

14 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Doesn't the crew represent the company?  

Not in this case.. No crew member is responsible for corporate decisions. You are going after the weakest link of MSC.. the butler. You need to include staff working in YC Restaurant, YC Top Sail Lounge and Concierge desk.. they all may ask if you are enjoying your day.

I would consult a Maritime Law Attorney and go after MSC management.

.. just my 2 cents..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Doesn't the crew represent the company? 

To the same extant that you represent the whole universe of MSC cruisers.

I am sure that your attitude and behavior will not be applied by the staff as what to expect from the other passengers.

By the way, be abusive enough and you will probably find yourself put ashore.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

By the way, be abusive enough and you will probably find yourself put ashore.

That's not me. I have attorneys to be the real bad guy. I just get a little happy loud after a dozen drinks.😁

I would also never subject my wife to anything anyways. She is worth more than $1800 to me and her happiness is my top priority.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SirWolf said:

. No crew member is responsible for corporate decisions. You are going after the weakest link of MSC.. the butler. You need to include staff working in YC Restaurant, YC Top Sail Lounge and Concierge desk.. they all may ask if you are enjoying your day.

Taking out your unhappiness with these staff members would be most inappropriate.  Doing so during your cruise, I can almost assure you that you will be "the talk of the staff" behind the scenes and the "service" that you then will receive may be less than satisfactory by some of the staff.  

I suggest that you cancel your reservation and not consider being a YC guest.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Personally I would never brow beat anyone in the YC.  They have little authority outside the YC.

Personally I would make an appointment with the Future Cruise Manager to start the process.  They come to the YC most nights at certain hours.

He/She directly reports to Hotel Director and I would have her schedule a one on one with the HD.  The HD has access to the powers to be in the USA, ie, Dick Sasso.

Best always to go through proper channels with a congenial attitude and no need to threaten legal action because they have more lawyers and more money than most passengers and that is not a threat to them.  Small Claims court is a joke in Brevard.

good luck.

38 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Taking out your unhappiness with these staff members would be most inappropriate.  Doing so during your cruise, I can almost assure you that you will be "the talk of the staff" behind the scenes and the "service" that you then will receive may be less than satisfactory by some of the staff.  

I suggest that you cancel your reservation and not consider being a YC guest.  

Would love to cancel, but it leaves in 5 days.

My issue should be resolved by 10am tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Seadweller001 said:

Personally I would never brow beat anyone in the YC.  They have little authority outside the YC.

Personally I would make an appointment with the Future Cruise Manager to start the process.  They come to the YC most nights at certain hours.

He/She directly reports to Hotel Director and I would have her schedule a one on one with the HD.  The HD has access to the powers to be in the USA, ie, Dick Sasso.

Best always to go through proper channels with a congenial attitude and no need to threaten legal action because they have more lawyers and more money than most passengers and that is not a threat to them.  Small Claims court is a joke in Brevard.

good luck.

Did the Future cruise manager in January on the Mera for 2 other issues with no results as well as a b2b on Seashore in December.

I understand the problems mscdivina2016 is experiencing. You can politely tell the concierge and butler that you want maximum privacy and will call them if you have any needs. It is your vacation. I was once in an NCL Haven and really didn't appreciate a butler at all. Like I need him to unpack my suitcase or have snacks brought to me at 3PM to tide me over until dinner...  I am a person of few needs.

mscdivinia2016, thank you for your posts concerning the unexplained up-charge after you had fully paid. And reading the threads, you are not alone with this problem from MSC. We were in the Yacht Club on The Divinia back in 2014, and were considering another cruise in the MSC YC because we liked our 2014 cruise. MSC is off out consideration list now, because of this problem. So thank you for informing us.

As to your immediate situation, I recommend allowing onboard service personnel to do their jobs. They are not responsible for your problem and cannot fix it.  It will be difficult for you to enjoy this cruise, but try. Work to fix it when you get home. I feel that what MSC did in your case is criminal. Hint.

And for your future cruises, I suggest you use a good TA. Booking on line with the cruise line has become so confusing that I can’t understand what I’m doing on anything but a lux line that. Of course, I can’t recommend a TA given board rules. But I hope I can say that my  un-named TA  recommends against MSC at this time.

Edited by Dolebludger

7 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Doesn't the crew represent the company?  The same company that is doing another screw job on me?

I have read of your very serious issues with MSC but they are not with the ship's crew.  Stop and think how these hardworking staff will react to a visibly angry passenger with issues beyond their control.  They didn't create the screw ups, nor can they fix them.  Taking out your anger on them by throwing a tantrum every time a crew member interacts with you is childish.  I hope once you get on board you can relax, let go, and enjoy the peace and calm of the Yacht Club.  When the cruise is over you will have time to continue your pursuit of a refund.  I hope you are successful.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Did the Future cruise manager in January on the Mera for 2 other issues with no results as well as a b2b on Seashore in December.

🤪

The future cruise manager cannot even decide about a MSC lanyard worth 2 € for Gold member. 

14 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I don´t know if this is the same at the US cruise companies, but the "normal" crew is not employed by MSC. The cruise director certainly represents the company, but he will say "Nothing happened off that boat is my business". 

5 hours ago, perakcruiser said:
15 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

🤪

The future cruise manager cannot even decide about a MSC lanyard worth 2 € for Gold member. 

Agree 100%. The FCM on Mera is COMPLETELY worthless and one of the worst people on the ship.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Agree 100%. The FCM on Mera is COMPLETELY worthless and one of the worst people on the ship.

We actually had 2 on Mera this past January, they switched them out halfway during the week.   All they are to do is sell cruises.

On 3/7/2022 at 3:48 PM, mscdivina2016 said:

.....I would like to politely decline the butler and all of their services. 

You are clearly beyond bitter with MSC, and it is your choice to decline anything you wish. Just be aware this may result in what might be described as 'ostrication' within the YC area. Only you know if that is what you really desire. Do remember that culturally most of the crew will have no idea or even begin to understand why you would wish to do this!

Also, you wrote earlier in this thread 'I would also never subject my wife to anything anyways. She is worth more than $1800 to me and her happiness is my top priority.' I would never subject my wife to such as you propose so, if you truly believe what you wrote, maybe it's time to be the man and just suck up your prejudices against Corporate MSC! After all, gracious onboard crew in YC and other areas want to do their job well....let them do it, and bin your bitterness, is the best advice I can offer! 😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hamrag said:

You are clearly beyond bitter with MSC, and it is your choice to decline anything you wish. Just be aware this may result in what might be described as 'ostrication' within the YC area. Only you know if that is what you really desire. Do remember that culturally most of the crew will have no idea or even begin to understand why you would wish to do this!

Also, you wrote earlier in this thread 'I would also never subject my wife to anything anyways. She is worth more than $1800 to me and her happiness is my top priority.' I would never subject my wife to such as you propose so, if you truly believe what you wrote, maybe it's time to be the man and just suck up your prejudices against Corporate MSC! After all, gracious onboard crew in YC and other areas want to do their job well....let them do it, and bin your bitterness, is the best advice I can offer! 😉

Actually my wife doesn't want the Butler either🙂.

Our best friend in YC is the bartender 😁

The $1800+ issue has been adjusted back.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Excellent! 

You should make a note on all your threads that you did prevail.

Now go and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Excellent! 

You should make a note on all your threads that you did prevail.

Now go and enjoy your cruise!

I just did on the main thread.

If others pop up I will reply.

Still have an issue of the pricing being wrong, but I was told to wait till I actually got on to address that. At least the $1800 issue is resolved.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I just did on the main thread.

If others pop up I will reply.

Still have an issue of the pricing being wrong, but I was told to wait till I actually got on to address that. At least the $1800 issue is resolved.

I want to thank you for posting about your issues.  We've had one MSC cruise right before the pandemic (YC on Meraviglia) that went off without a hitch - other than me absolutely cursing their website everytime I used it.  Our status match will expire next year I think and I've started thinking about another cruise but I'm still cursing the website and your postings and those of others who have experienced what I consider unconscionable issues (including date, ship and departure port changes) has me very nervous about booking.

On 3/9/2022 at 8:51 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

Actually my wife doesn't want the Butler either🙂.

Our best friend in YC is the bartender 😁

So is your wife going to make up the bed and tidy the room?  That is the purview of the butler and his assistant.

Are you going to refuse drink service in the lounge and around the pool when offered by butlers?

And decline the accelerated YC lines when manned by butlers?

And of course decline the head of the line service from your Butler at the end of the cruise to disembark?

You will lose the YC experience - the whole point of traveling YC. (Cutting off nose to spite face?). See article linked below:

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/First-Call-Yacht-Club-takes-MSC-Seashore-to-the-next-level

Edited by TrinaLC

So is your wife going to make up the bed and tidy the room?  That is the purview of the butler and his assistant.

Are you trying to say that anyone who has a cabin other than the YC will not have their bed made up and their room tidy?

Are you going to refuse drink service in the lounge and around the pool when offered by butlers?

Are you trying to say that there will be no one to offer you a drink on the ship? No more waiters walking around to get you a drink?

Do you need an accelerated line to do anything on the ship? Is it really that slowwwww?

And of course decline the head of the line service from your Butler at the end of the cruise to disembark?

You cannot walk off the ship with your luggage any more?

You will lose the YC experience - the whole point of traveling YC. (Cutting off nose to spite face?). See article linked below:

Yes, you will loose the YC experience. I have booked the Seashore BB category and to book a YC Inside would cost me over $3,000 for 2 people. 

I sure am gaining a lot for that $3,000+ with the Butler who does all the above for me.

Just the other side of the coin. 

I don't need a butler to guide me around the ship or get me to the shows. I bring my phone and use the ships GPS. LOL

I am not trying to be funny. Just giving you my side of the cruise. 

Happy Cruising!

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

Are you trying to say that anyone who has a cabin other than the YC will not have their bed made up and their room tidy?

Are you trying to say that there will be no one to offer you a drink on the ship? No more waiters walking around to get you a drink?

Do you need an accelerated line to do anything on the ship? Is it really that slowwwww?

You cannot walk off the ship with your luggage any more?

Yes, you will loose the YC experience. I have booked the Seashore BB category and to book a YC Inside would cost me over $3,000 for 2 people. 

I sure am gaining a lot for that $3,000+ with the Butler who does all the above for me.

Just the other side of the coin. 

I don't need a butler to guide me around the ship or get me to the shows. I bring my phone and use the ships GPS. LOL

I am not trying to be funny. Just giving you my side of the cruise. 

Happy Cruising!

1.  No, I’m saying anyone in YC who is refusing Butler service will not have their YC room made up. 

2.  No, I’m saying that anyone in YC who is refusing Butler service while in the YC will at times have trouble getting a drink delivered. But there are regular servers at most hours and bartenders, so you won’t be shut out. 

3.  The butler assist with lines does in fact have real value. You can bypass several hundred people lining up to get on or off the ship. It is a great perk. But certainly you can forego that perk.

4.  Agreed don’t need butlers to guide around ship.

5.  Certainly many make a choice to spend thousands less and stay outside YC.  But to forego the YC benefits that one has paid for?  To make a point against MSC?