Tipping guides

zqtchas

On 3/7/2022 at 1:47 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

I don’t tip on ship’s excursions, just assume all-inclusive means tips are covered, too.  But when tipping my own private guides I try to tip in local currency.

Not really, tour guides and drivers are independent from SS, therefore they rely heavily on tips.  If you went to a restaurant on land, on your own, you would naturally tip.  What's the difference?

1 hour ago, bohaiboy said:

Not really, tour guides and drivers are independent from SS, therefore they rely heavily on tips.  If you went to a restaurant on land, on your own, you would naturally tip.  What's the difference?

Some 'all inclusive' cruise lines do include tips for tour guides and drivers.  Noble Caledonia, even though they are not 'luxury,' make it clear that they do and that passengers are not expected to tip any further [and they don't]. 

If you go to a restaurant on land and the bill includes a gratuity, do you tip on top of that for tourtine service?  And if you go to a restaurant in a country where most restaurants include the gratuity in the bill, do you tip?  I wouldn't, because the locals I have talked to in those countries don't want tourists changing their culture.

IMHO when a cruise line calls itself 'all inclusive' it should include tips for tour guides and drivers, because its marketing has implied that it does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bohaiboy said:

If I went to an event in a restaurant hosted by a cruise ship I not tip.

10 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I typed “silversea excursion gratuities” into Google and this was the first result shown.

DB06E0DD-27B7-4F28-A0A9-7F071C640193.jpeg

Thanks for finding this. Of course this refers to paid excursions not included.  I still cannot find it on the current SS site though.  I’m not opposed to tipping at all but I don’t want to tip when not necessary.

50 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Thanks for finding this. Of course this refers to paid excursions not included.  I still cannot find it on the current SS site though.  I’m not opposed to tipping at all but I don’t want to tip when not necessary.

But until very recently, nearly all excursions on "classic" (non-expedition) sailings were "not included" (apart from excursions offered in connection with Grand Voyages, etc.).

I have always tipped tour guides and often drivers as well.  

I can understand that many passengers might feel that the "free" including excursions are as much a part of the cruise as coffee or TV access and thus tipping is unnecessary.  I am afraid this might do a real disservice to the guides and drivers, most of whom probably have fairly marginal financial situations.

It would be good for Silversea to clarify this matter as the line moves toward more and more included excursions.  

• Like 3

Without getting into the virtues of tipping or not, we tend to tip along the lines of the FAQ answer posted above.  That's just a matter of coincidence, as I didn't even know that answer was there.  Like with others, that's more a starting point, and I'll adjust up or down depending on our experience.  We've had some guides that were so wonderful that we would have paid real money for them to come home with us.  We've had others that were so terrible that we might have paid good money for them to stay away.

As for currency, that's totally a matter of where we're going and how long we'll be there. I'm not going to go through the effort and expense exchanging currency if we're only in a particular currency area for a day or two (especially while on a cruise) and it's an area that accepts USD.

That said, if I have an opportunity to hit up an ATM and grab a few sheckles for gratuities, I'm happy to do that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DCPIV said:

Without getting into the virtues of tipping or not, we tend to tip along the lines of the FAQ answer posted above.  That's just a matter of coincidence, as I didn't even know that answer was there.  Like with others, that's more a starting point, and I'll adjust up or down depending on our experience.  We've had some guides that were so wonderful that we would have paid real money for them to come home with us.  We've had others that were so terrible that we might have paid good money for them to stay away.

As for currency, that's totally a matter of where we're going and how long we'll be there. I'm not going to go through the effort and expense exchanging currency if we're only in a particular currency area for a day or two (especially while on a cruise) and it's an area that accepts USD.

That said, if I have an opportunity to hit up an ATM and grab a few sheckles for gratuities, I'm happy to do that.

Agree, most people will except US Dollars—I always say Sorry but I didn’t have time to exchange this, hope it’s OK.  Never has anyone said no.

• Like 1

I think the less First World a country is the more likely the guides would prefer USD.  To tip in USD in Europe I believe creates more work for the guide since it is not the legal tender there and they would probably have to exchange it or deposit it. 

• Like 1

Travelers who come from non tipping-culture countries have to comport with the customs of the rest of the world regarding tipping for these excursion guides when they travel abroad in these other countries. I've heard people from some these countries where there is no tipping say  "Oh I never tip in my home country. Its not expected.". But that IMHU is dead wrong. These tour guides and bus drivers are not high paid people. They live on these tips, and tip generously if you can, depending on the degree of support provided. I've also seen too many people skirt off after a tour and not tip. Leave from back door of bus, if there is one, and disappear quickly. Shocking.

• Like 2

I hate tipping and the idea of tipping yet do so to tour guides because their basic income is usually peanuts. I'm sure if we are dropping a few £k or $k on a cruise it's not too hard to find a few bucks down the back of the couch to support these people. 

Although I dislike tipping I very much approve of the crew fund; a simple way to show appreciation not just to the front of house staff but also those behind the scenes who work so hard so that we don't have to. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, brittany12 said:

Travelers who come from non tipping-culture countries have to comport with the customs of the rest of the world regarding tipping for these excursion guides when they travel abroad in these other countries. I've heard people from some these countries where there is no tipping say  "Oh I never tip in my home country. Its not expected.". But that IMHU is dead wrong. These tour guides and bus drivers are not high paid people. They live on these tips, and tip generously if you can, depending on the degree of support provided. I've also seen too many people skirt off after a tour and not tip. Leave from back door of bus, if there is one, and disappear quickly. Shocking.

As long as when those that come from a tipping culture when asked not to tip or tip only a little in countries where tipping is not the main culture we are good to go. 🙂.

Interestingly with regards people not tipping tour and bus drivers which I do, especially in poorer paid countries.It surprised me to see many from a country with a strong tipping culture not tip, and I rarely do group tours.

• Thanks 1

I live in one of two states in the US (Oregon, New Jersey) where you can't dispense gas into your car's tank, State law requires they have folks that do it for you.  (Thank God.)  I (and my wife and children) tip these underpaid saints a dollar for their efforts every time.  It is pretty clear than no one else does - they are usually gobsmacked.  (And often throw in an unsolicited windshield wash, I might add.)  I think their gratitude is all out of proportion of the amount of dough, but they don't get much respect, and really appreciate the thought, or so I think.  So - full disclosure - I'm obviously a serial soft touch and easy mark.  But a buck buys a brief smile and sincere thank you, and that is a fair deal IMHO.  

So, as it relates to tipping drivers and guides, I'm obviously not driven by personal thoughts of "Silverseas says all inclusive, and I'm holding them to it, by gum!".  Tip the poor sots, and sleep soundly.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

I live in one of two states in the US (Oregon, New Jersey) where you can't dispense gas into your car's tank, State law requires they have folks that do it for you.  (Thank God.)  I (and my wife and children) tip these underpaid saints a dollar for their efforts every time.  It is pretty clear than no one else does - they are usually gobsmacked.  (And often throw in an unsolicited windshield wash, I might add.)  I think their gratitude is all out of proportion of the amount of dough, but they don't get much respect, and really appreciate the thought, or so I think.  So - full disclosure - I'm obviously a serial soft touch and easy mark.  But a buck buys a brief smile and sincere thank you, and that is a fair deal IMHO.  

So, as it relates to tipping drivers and guides, I'm obviously not driven by personal thoughts of "Silverseas says all inclusive, and I'm holding them to it, by gum!".  Tip the poor sots, and sleep soundly.  

I find it interesting that people will pay $20,000 to $100,00+ plus for a cruise and sweat giving a good tour guide $5 to $10+ for a half or full day tour. "Come on man!!".

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

I find it interesting that people will pay $20,000 to $100,00+ plus for a cruise and sweat giving a good tour guide $5 to $10+ for a half or full day tour. "Come on man!!".

Maybe just cheap people - I agree tip.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

People do get hung up on tipping. from my experience not all tipping is beneficial. In some of the countries we have been we were there before tipping was introduced by people who tipped without thinking. The changes were not very good for those places. So rather than tip I have other ways to distribute money.

First Papua New Guinea. Here what I have done on my SS cruises is buy something from the local village and only pretend to barter. This supports those who have done something to earn the money. A secondary benefit is that I usually then give the article to an SS crew member. usually a deckhand or someone without a people meeting role. Often makes a good gift for their family.

I also ask a local- often a guide what people would like to get from tourists. It is not always money. I had a fabulous time in Cuba. Often took off by myself and sore the fake beggars who flock around a tourist bus which stops. Our local driver on our American car trip said the locals often liked essentials such as soap or cooking oils as they were often in short supply so didn't matter if you had the money. So I went to the Supermarket and bought lots of soap then wandered the back streets. It was just so amazing the response particularly the elderly.

In Burma our guide said the locals all love their children so take a supply of local lollies and give them to the children.Worked a treat Many of the parents then insisted they got a photo with me and their children. I often wonder what people think going into houses with my picture up on the wall.

Of course on SS it is a donation to the crew fund.

So think outside the box. Sorry to go way off topic.

But answering zqtchas question for me it is usually US dollars.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, drron29 said:

But answering zqtchas question for me it is usually US dollars.

One thing we're seeing these last few weeks is the the desirability of US dollars has reached a new high!

“Come on man!!”, tipping is an American disease. Get real with the rest of the world, pay people appropriately and let the rest of us enjoy an environment where ‘tipping is neither expected or required’. If you must give, then make a donation to the crew welfare fund and leave the rest of us in peace.

• Like 7