Boarding times and Diamond

Flying in the day of the cruise for the Wonder April 1st.  Our plane will arrive FLL at 9:00 am.  We have a 12:30 boarding time.  Will we be able to board earlier for being Diamond.  Never boarded Royal in FLL always in San Juan where you could get on at 11:00.

No.  The boarding times are fairly consistently managed and Diamond has no leverage.  If they move through quickly, then you may board earlier.  The previous days of 11:00 general boarding - Diamond or otherwise - are behind us.  (At least for now).  If you are able to board earlier - or if there is a reason that they would push back your assigned time - you should get an email indicating that prior to the departure day.

No. With our two recent cruises, when you check in on line for your upcoming cruise you are presented with available times to select for check in.  The sooner you check in when available, the better the time options, as once one is filled, it closes.  If none is selected, typically the last boarding time will be assigned.  I am not certain about mobility preferences, but other than Pinnacle, C&A tier has no check in status.

As example, with our October cruise. we booked and consequently checked in late and 2:30 and 3:00 were the only available tims.  With our December cruise, we checked in when it first opened up 45 days prior and were able to select 11:30 - 1:00 in half hour increments.  We took 11:30. And only for purposes of these examples, we are D+.

We subsequently received an email the day before departure for the December cruise indicating a delay for us to 12:30 for ship cleaning, but when we arrived at the port that was completed early and they took us at 12:00 ahead of others with that and later times to try to accommodate our original time.

The point being, in our experience the times are being managed based on when you originally check in.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

9 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Keep updating your online checkin information.  Earlier times can open up.  Probably not with a new ship, but certainly happens all the time with older ones.

I've been checking a dozen times on liberty and earlier time has not opened up and it's a older ship. Seems like I'm always on a cruise at the 45 day out and forgot to check in. If I was home and on wifi my roll call would be posting about check in. Out at sea not seeing roll call lol. 

38 minutes ago, flamingo6363 said:

Anyone know of a bar or restaurant on the beach near the terminal that we could spend a couple of hours before we check in?

It's all commercial freight area there.  Docks, container ships, oil tankers...etc.  No beach, no bar.  

If you want some beach time, I would suggest your have your taxi take you to the actual beach, then pick you up later.  Nothing around the cruise terminal areas to walk to.  

Or at the very least....relax at the airport until just before you boarding time.  It's a very short distance to the cruise terminal.  Might be nicer to sit at an airport lounge, than stand in line at the terminal.  

Edited by island lady

Not just Key guests and Pinnacles...but suite guests as well board earlier. 

Last month when we were at the terminal in Ft. Lauderdale, our boarding time was 11 am.   We are Pinnacle and in a suite.  Supposed to be able to board up to an hour early of your scheduled boarding time.  They did not let us in until almost 11 am. 

We had arrived at just before 10:30 and were left standing outside during an unusual cold snap with a  bitter wind.  Did not have jackets on .....was not fun.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I've been checking a dozen times on liberty and earlier time has not opened up and it's a older ship. Seems like I'm always on a cruise at the 45 day out and forgot to check in. If I was home and on wifi my roll call would be posting about check in. Out at sea not seeing roll call lol. 

I just updated mine. I know you're doing a B2B and I'm not sure which leg we're on with you (we're on the 20th-27th) but... We were originally scheduled to check in between 12:00 - 12:30. I just moved it to 11:30 - 12:00

36 minutes ago, island lady said:

Last month when we were at the terminal in Ft. Lauderdale, our boarding time was 11 am.   We are Pinnacle and in a suite.  Supposed to be able to board up to an hour early of your scheduled boarding time.  They did not let us in until almost 11 am. 

We had arrived at just before 10:30 and were left standing outside during an unusual cold snap with a  bitter wind.  Did not have jackets on .....was not fun.  

I should have added suite guests in my response - was focusing on C&A status.  But as you indicate, my understanding is the suite guests still need to select a time during the on line check in, but can then board 1 hour earlier at the terminal, correct?  Unfortunately for some reason that appears not to have been the case with your recent cruise.

10 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I should have added suite guests in my response - was focusing on C&A status.  But as you indicate, my understanding is the suite guests still need to select a time during the on line check in, but can then board 1 hour earlier at the terminal, correct?  Unfortunately for some reason that appears not to have been the case with your recent cruise.

Yup....not as they state it.  😞  We were let in just a couple of minutes before 11 am.  Had 11am boarding time.  There was no flexibility on that early boarding time.

OP:  Don't show up early.   You won't like it.  

37 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I just updated mine. I know you're doing a B2B and I'm not sure which leg we're on with you (we're on the 20th-27th) but... We were originally scheduled to check in between 12:00 - 12:30. I just moved it to 11:30 - 12:00

I'm at 1130 and want 1100. I saw posts others got the 1100 time.

2 hours ago, flamingo6363 said:

Anyone know of a bar or restaurant on the beach near the terminal that we could spend a couple of hours before we check 

Sherri🙂

Edited by sjb317

12 minutes ago, RonPaula said:

Thank you for the clarification. I guess my husband will have to push me in my wheelchair along with the masses. Not happy about that.

I would contact RCI to see if there are any accommodations for you.  As I posted earlier I am just not aware of what may or may not be done to assist, and RCI should be able to confirm any specific arrangements available. 

2 hours ago, island lady said:

We will be in a suite on our next cruise. We have an 11:30 arrival time. So I should plan that the earliest we will be able to get in is 11?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Yup....not as they state it.  😞  We were let in just a couple of minutes before 11 am.  Had 11am boarding time.  There was no flexibility on that early boarding time.

OP:  Don't show up early.   You won't like it.  

I think it's an hour before your time as long as the terminal is open. Not surprised they don't open it up early. So if the first check in time is 11 the only time it's a benefit is if you got a checkin time 1130 or later. 

16 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

We will be in a suite on our next cruise. We have an 11:30 arrival time. So I should plan that the earliest we will be able to get in is 11?

With Covid protocols changing almost by the hour....there is no guarantee.  You could get there early and go right in...or could be delayed past your 11 am.  

But as a guess...I would say 11 am will be your time.   I had 11, and was able to go a few minutes just before 11.  That does not mean it will be that way for each cruise.  RCI:  Really Consistently Inconsistent.  😉 

Enjoy your cruise...no matter what time you board.  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, island lady said:

You can't board early if the ship isn't yet cleared for boarding. One of the caveats of having an early boarding time and wanting to use pinnacle/suite perks