Bit of fun - No room higher than a guaranteed interior is worth it. Change my mind.

We’ve done insides but not for a few years.  I’d only do it again if we want to save money, in other words if it was only way we could go.  

We have sailed in every category.  While we love suites for the most part I can’t see the higher price tag as worth it.  I love the space and storage of a Jr suite so that’s our sweet spot.  However I have 2 Jr suites and 2 balcony’s coming up and will be happy in all of them.  I don’t care for promenade rooms as there is no privacy, I’d prefer an inside over it.  

If you only sleep and change/shower in your room save your money.  We love sitting on the balcony.  Don’t knock if you haven’t tried it.  

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses so far. I was watching videos and I can totally understand the extra £30 for neighborhood view and £150 for balcony. I can't understand the huge jump up to a junior suite (I think that came in around £980 for lowest bid). 

I'd love to try a balcony so maybe one day we'll give it a go 😀

Don't worry, I didn't do this to start an argument, just interest to see folks point of view. For me, I set a total cost of the holiday right at the start and everything needs to fit into that budget ....happy to pay an extra £150 for balcony but would need to find it somewhere else to chop off (imagine how fun I am to go on holiday with??)

• Like 1

We started cruising with 2 kids and set a budget. (25 yrs ago or so).  At that time the inside cabins and an occasional upgrade to an OV fit us just fine. About 5 years ago we tried our first balcony and haven't gone back to inside or OV, not that I wouldn't cruise in either of those rooms, but really enjoy my balcony. Of course we no longer are paying for 4, just 2, so even though we are getting a balcony our total bill is less. I haven't felt the "need" to upgrade to a suite or higher level cabins. Would rather cruise more often than pay a lot for one sailing.

Funny thing is even when circumstances change and your budget can be more per cruise, once you've set your mindset on a dollar amount it's hard to change out of the original mold.

• Like 2

FWIW,  We've had balcony cabins twice, once because we were moved there from an inside, and once because balcony was cheaper than OV.  We were not convinced there is a value, to us, of having a balcony.  We still prefer OV.  We do spend some time in the cabin, as well as out and about on the ship, but we just did not enjoy being out on the balcony that much.  I would never pay more to get one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

I love the bustle and activity on a cruise ship but there are a few times I love the solitude of my balcony.

Unless you’re next to a smoker (which they shouldn’t be doing anyway), a non stop talker, a music lover who likes to share, a whistler….😂😂😂

OP,

I am a solo traveler, and I’m perfectly happy in an interior cabin. If you like interiors, and you like the cabin you’re in, stay there. There is a chance you might get a nice cabin with Royal Up, or you may get a less than desirable one. I don’t gamble, so what I pick, I stick with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

I'll say it with a picture.  

00-0_Wi3W2U0uKovxFP3LfRUyRTFzTES0RSTkIuxhiUvvaOBSpuOtL7wC7M9ve5oVdJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1438444974

Nuff said.  

NO! No! No! That's a fake photo. The oars have been edited out! 

Sure, they feed you breakfast (the only meal you get) but only after they force you to row for hours and hours and hours. 🚣‍♂️

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jingerwoppy said:

We mostly book interiors unless there is a really good price. We're hardly in the room so the pool deck is our balcony. Interior is a must with Alaska because it's light so long. 

The blackout drapes work well. Having a balcony is great...a small quiet personal out door space for watching Alaska go by early mornings in my PJ's, a blanket and a hot drink...just heavenly. 

• Like 1

Done inside 6 times, did balcony twice.  Always sailed solo.  Originally booked balcony (studio balcony on Anthem), because was only 20% more than inside.  Of course this was for a COVID cancelled sailing, so I took the FCC.  Had a 2nd cruise COVID cancelled, so again took FCC.  Booked Anthem studio balcony for the year after cancellation with the FCC, this time I intentionally selected the Balcony as I intended on spending far more time in the cabin than I typically did;  I wanted to play the introvert.  Then I had a big price drop, and had a bunch of unused FCC.  So I booked another Anthem studio balcony for before Christmas.  

Now I'm booking the next year's vacations.  The Grand Cayman trip will be an inside for 6 days.  The Eastern Carib is currently that same Anthem Studio Balcony (again), but if the price doesn't drop like the last two I'm switching to an inside;  I'm not interested in playing introvert without the COVID excuse.  I'll save at least 35% on cabin fare, and take the double points for C&A.

I want to be on the ship.  🙂

Just for fun we booked an inside cabin on a last-minute trip, to reminisce a bit about our early cruises, and it was surprisingly fine.  We did notice we spent less time in the room, but luckily there are lots of public spaces to chill.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Lol I know a good TA you can talk to. People keep saying deck 7 is bigger but needs 3 to book. I'm happy. My on the spot TA got it for me. Going to be a long walk to the elevator though. I saw the one opposite and have both a upright chair and a lounger. So as a solo I got my choice looks like plus a table. 

.... one more week. 

So you got a corner aft on deck 7?  if so be sure to pack your hammock.

https://www.novica.com/p/portable-parachute-fabric-hammock-dark-light/248382/

Edited by Jimbo

1 hour ago, vswan said:

We started cruising with 2 kids and set a budget. (25 yrs ago or so).  At that time the inside cabins and an occasional upgrade to an OV fit us just fine. About 5 years ago we tried our first balcony and haven't gone back to inside or OV, not that I wouldn't cruise in either of those rooms, but really enjoy my balcony. Of course we no longer are paying for 4, just 2, so even though we are getting a balcony our total bill is less. I haven't felt the "need" to upgrade to a suite or higher level cabins. Would rather cruise more often than pay a lot for one sailing.

Funny thing is even when circumstances change and your budget can be more per cruise, once you've set your mindset on a dollar amount it's hard to change out of the original mold.

That's exactly my thoughts... I try and now fit in more and more in now too. It used to be a cruise 🙈 this time it's New York, Florida and a cruise all for £3.5k all in 🙈😂

24 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

So you got a corner aft on deck 7?  if so be sure to pack your hammock.

https://www.novica.com/p/portable-parachute-fabric-hammock-dark-light/248382/

No I'm on deck 7. As my post says you need 3 to book deck 7 corner aft on liberty. I'm solo.

I think you and I went thru this before.. I'm still on deck 9. One person, I'll be fine. I will pack my tennis shoes. I expect to get in a lot of steps. 

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

No I'm on deck 7. As my post says you need 3 to book deck 7 corner aft on liberty. I'm solo.

I think you and I went thru this before.. I'm still on deck 9. One person, I'll be fine. I will pack my tennis shoes. I expect to get in a lot of steps. 

oh I thought  since it's closer to  the sailing, you were able to book deck 7 for one now.

For us,  we cruise for pleasure and a touch of luxury,  not to save money.  Sunrise and sunsets are priceless.   Morning coffee,  evening cocktails on the balcony is sublime.  But not everyone has the same tastes.  If just being on the ship is what matters,  then I guess a balcony is fine.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

oh I thought  since it's closer to  the sailing, you were able to book deck 7 for one now.

I've been booked forever. I was booked jewel 2021, lifted and shifted to allure, new terminal wouldn't be done, shifted to liberty... so I'd guess I've had this cabin booked for a year? 

I was so lucky rcl let us move from allure to liberty price protected, no obc. 

These cabins are rarely sitting there open for last minute booking. Truly I cant believe I'm finally going on this cruise it's been moved so many times. ..though not the hump balcony I booked on allure I was hoping for. 

10 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

For us,  we cruise for pleasure and a touch of luxury,  not to save money.  Sunrise and sunsets are priceless.   Morning coffee,  evening cocktails on the balcony is sublime.  But not everyone has the same tastes.  If just being on the ship is what matters,  then I guess a balcony is fine.  

I live alone and to me it's not fun to sit on a balcony alone. So I go up to the pool deck or some place where I can see people and read and watch the ocean. Doctor found 6 skin cancers in January and reminded me do not be in the sun. To me a balcony is a big window, nothing more.

• Like 3

If the sight, sound and feel of the ocean call to you, stay where you are. About the fisrt 10 cruises or so we had an indoor room and were completely satisfied. I tried a balcony, I do not remember why, and never went back. Now my cruising costs are double.

• Like 2

I would not try to convince you otherwise. If I have to pay for the cruise, which has not happened in 3+ years, I would not pay for anything more than interior. I do not find value for the money on any of the higher categories. I just got off the Oasis today, I had a JS and spent about 15 minutes total on the balcony for the whole cruise. That is about normal for me on a balcony... which is why I would not pay for it. 

5 hours ago, amurray88 said:

Ok folks - I'm heading on Symphony in 4 weeks time. I've only ever gone interior and Royal Up starts at £15pp for neighborhood view interior and £75 for balcony.

For some reason I don't feel I can justify this. Can someone prove me wrong? 😂

I love Interiors for the total darkness and ability to sleep undisturbed. I love a Balcony for the quiet outdoor spot to relax, read and enjoy a glass of wine with an ocean view. So.... it really depends on what your priorities are and the particular cruise you're on.

My photo of the port at Malta from the Balcony on my QE cruise is priceless. Sleeping in until 10 AM in my Interior on my last cruise was Heaven. Your choice/You choose.

• Like 2