Cruise Directors Review

tx121

Has anyone noticed that the Cruise Directors on Royal Caribbean seem to be less visible (even before pandemic)? It seems like the only time I see them is to open the shows or for special events to introduce the officers. I feel like over the years they have become more administrative than actually front of the house, especially the older Cruise Directors. 

In my opinion, I think  having them at more activities and being visible around the ship, makes a important connection to the guests. Former Cruise directors for RC like Richard Spacey, Jimmy Rhodes, Kirk Detweiler.....were always around for the events and seen around the ship. A current Cruise Director that still does this is Mike Szwajkowski. He was always seen around the ship and even hosted a game show called the Broken Link (which is hilarious) on our Odyssey Sailing last year. He is very polished and seems like the "old school" cruise Directors of the past. 

What is your opinion on Royals current Cruise Directors? Who is your favorite and were they "active" during your cruise?

They are important public ambassadors who act as the most visible link between Royal and its guests, but equally they have to manage the entertainment and activities staff. 

I imagine since the restart a lot of their time’s been taken up with ever-changing Covid protocols and rejigging schedules when performers and crew go sick or have to isolate.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Mike Szwajkowski is awesome. He is the best CD I have encountered. Other than him I have found most CDs either full of themselves, annoying, or both.

Definitely agree.

Mike and Graham Seymour are definitely the best two cruise directors we’ve ever had.

Mikes own “Fountains” show back in the day was superb.

• Like 2

Interesting topic for sure.

I have always found the cruise directors hit or miss.... like always.

I have had some I've adored,  like Spacey and Alan Brookes....  Rhodes was good too, as you mentioned.

Lately it's been some that have been really nice.  We had one named "Cece" on vision who was wonderful.  I think she was just an activities manager filling in but we thought she was amazing.

But our last few have been meh....  to blah....  the one I had on Allure last time ( Cory Rogers ) was my least favorite he was virtually non existent and his programming wasn't good. 

I've never been a huge fan of Ken Rush, but his energy level and being out and about and contributing to an awesome vacation is always consistent and reliable and I'll take him anytime over the last two I've had. 

I'm hoping for another good one soon.

6 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

Interesting topic for sure.

I have always found the cruise directors hit or miss.... like always.

I have had some I've adored,  like Spacey and Alan Brookes....  Rhodes was good too, as you mentioned.

Lately it's been some that have been really nice.  We had one named "Cece" on vision who was wonderful.  I think she was just an activities manager filling in but we thought she was amazing.

But our last few have been meh....  to blah....  the one I had on Allure last time ( Cory Rogers ) was my least favorite he was virtually non existent and his programming wasn't good. 

I've never been a huge fan of Ken Rush, but his energy level and being out and about and contributing to an awesome vacation is always consistent and reliable and I'll take him anytime over the last two I've had. 

I'm hoping for another good one soon.

I think Cory Rogers is awful.

The Cruise Director has never been a large part of my vacation and I don't especially pay much attention to them. Bill Brunkhorst's awful radio/gentlemen's club DJ voice is still burned into my brain from a cruise I took in 2005, so I guess he left the biggest impression(not a good one). Leo Papa was entertaining, but I don't believe he is a CD any longer.  Other than that I don't know that I could name another from the cruises we've taken.  

On 3/15/2022 at 5:58 AM, Ocean Boy said:

Mike Szwajkowski is awesome. He is the best CD I have encountered. Other than him I have found most CDs either full of themselves, annoying, or both.

I agree. Had him for a Brilliance TA and it was great. On the larger ships, it is a lot more administrative. When we had Mike, it was just before he went to the Symphony. I don’t recall the exact numbers but he indicated that he would be going from supervising a staff of 60 or so to over 250. Only so many hours in a day so the demands on their time on the large ships must be dramatic. 

mac_tlc

We enjoyed our Royal cruise director mostly more than any of our past Carnival CD's. We did have one fun Carnival CD, but the rest were not our cup of tea. We enjoyed on this cruise that he came over the PA for important information, updates, activities, etc. And we saw him around the ship at stuff. But he didn't feel intrusive, it actually felt like he was directing the cruise and entertainment.  

On 3/15/2022 at 4:49 AM, tx121 said:

…A current Cruise Director that still does this is Mike Szwajkowski. He was always seen around the ship and even hosted a game show called the Broken Link (which is hilarious) on our Odyssey Sailing last year. He is very polished and seems like the "old school" cruise Directors of the past. 

What is your opinion on Royals current Cruise Directors? Who is your favorite and were they "active" during your cruise?

We were also on some of Odyssey sailings last October and enjoyed Mike. He is now on the Wonder with us. 

Sat next to a former cruise director at Chops last week on Navigator.  Didn't get his name but he was an English guy from Birmingham, who now lives in Vegas.  He couldn't believe they are still doing the same activities he was doing 10 years ago.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mil76 said:

Sat next to a former cruise director at Chops last week on Navigator.  Didn't get his name but he was an English guy from Birmingham, who now lives in Vegas.  He couldn't believe they are still doing the same activities he was doing 10 years ago.

I can. Hardly a day goes by on here without someone asking “Are they doing Quest” or “Are they doing Love & Marriage”.

Some are more visible than others, but the reality is, a lot of their job is managing the entire entertainment staff.  They can't be everywhere which is why you hear them making announcements more than you see them.  It's especially hard on the large ships.  Our cruises on Vision class, we've had lots of interaction with the CD because there are less venues and they can spend more time with guests.   On Oasis class, we rarely see them.  

26 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Sounds like to some people, the ideal cruise director is one they never see, while to others, it's the one they see all the time. 

It's not so much seeing or not seeing them, it's hearing some of the annoying announcements.  Bingo!. . Bingo!. . BINGO!  . . . Don't miss the ART AUCTION!. . .Have we got a deal for you...

• Like 1