Helicopter Pad

W283386

I have been watching the Summit leave Miami for the past few weeks and noticed that there are passengers on the helicopter pad.  Is this open to everyone or is it an invitation only event.  I have only been on 5 Celebrity sailings but I am in a sky suite.   Any chance of attending?

1 minute ago, talljules1 said:

A helipad sailaway (or sail in) is something I'd love to do.Not happened yet, but I remain hopeful.  We have 3 cruises in suites this year so fingers crossed.

Make sure you let the concierge know this is on your wish list. We have experienced sail away cruises with champagne and sail ins (early morning)  with hot chocolate, both very enjoyable.

Also let the concierge know if you are interested in any behind the scenes tours (galley, theatre, bridge…). Owing to distancing they may not be available at present but we have thoroughly enjoyed on previous cruises.

• Like 4

Just now, chemmo said:

Make sure you let the concierge know this is on your wish list. We have experienced sail away cruises with champagne and sail ins (early morning)  with hot chocolate, both very enjoyable.

Also let the concierge know if you are interested in any behind the scenes tours (galley, theatre, bridge…). Owing to distancing they may not be available at present but we have thoroughly enjoyed on previous cruises.

We definitely will do that! I'd be interested to see behind the scenes too - but not to the extent of wanting to pay what seems like a fairly hefty fee for the privilege!

• Like 1

Just now, talljules1 said:

We definitely will do that! I'd be interested to see behind the scenes too - but not to the extent of wanting to pay what seems like a fairly hefty fee for the privilege!

Suite behind the scenes tours are fairly small groups and just focus on one thing….A galley tour or a theatre tour. The tour you can sometimes book (and pay for) is a full ship experience. If you have a lot of sea days it can be worthwhile, especially if you have not experienced any behind the scenes tours before.

We were on the Silhouette in September and all these suite activities/perks were suspended. I don’t know how many have now been resurrected. Obviously the Helipad is the one most likely to be able to happen as it is outdoors. I wouldn’t be surprised if galley and bridge tours were still (for obvious reasons) not being resumed as yet. Just discuss with the concierge on boarding and they will let you know what is possible.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Suite behind the scenes tours are fairly small groups and just focus on one thing….A galley tour or a theatre tour. The tour you can sometimes book (and pay for) is a full ship experience. If you have a lot of sea days it can be worthwhile, especially if you have not experienced any behind the scenes tours before.

We were on the Silhouette in September and all these suite activities/perks were suspended. I don’t know how many have now been resurrected. Obviously the Helipad is the one most likely to be able to happen as it is outdoors. I wouldn’t be surprised if galley and bridge tours were still (for obvious reasons) not being resumed as yet. Just discuss with the concierge on boarding and they will let you know what is possible.

Yup - they were all suspended when we were on in July in our RS too. This year we have sky suites but we will surely ask the hosts in the retreat lounge on 1st day.  The helipad is the one I would like to do most. (Have done a galley tour on Eclipse as part of the chef's table dinner - and another on our first ever cruise on Infinity)  We have a RS booked on the Infinity next year, so if we don't get lucky this year we can try again next year.

I sailed in a SV on Reflection this past January.  I was invited to the sailaway when we left St Kitts.  I presumed it was because I had just made Elite.  Others told me that it's just the luck of the draw.  I was very happy to be included.

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

Also make sure to have closed toed shoes on. No sandals or flip flops allowed.

Especially if you are sailing in a suite, make the Suite Concierge aware that you would like to attend a Helipad sailaway.  More than likely it will happen.   While closed toe shoes are “required” and I have always worn them, even my gym shoes with dressy attire, many do not.   I say this just in case someone were to be invited and not have closed toe shoes with them, I would go anyway unless mobility is an issue.   Depending on the ship it could be a little tricky with inappropriate shoes although flip flops would work better than stiletto’s.   

We were on b2b cruises on the Constellation in 2015.  First cruise embarked from Venice, and our Connections gathering was held on the helipad with sparkling wine as we sailed from Venice.  We were in Concierge Class on those cruises and those in concierge class were invited to a helipad gathering as we sailed from Valletta, Malta; it was the ship’s last call to Valletta for the season so Valletta saw us off by firing the huge cannons which guarded the port and a fireworks display.  The Connections gathering for the second cruise of the b2b was also on the helipad as we sailed from Sorrento.  All beautiful evenings!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, NCHPcruiser said:

While closed toe shoes are “required” and I have always worn them, even my gym shoes with dressy attire, many do not.

I've also seen many people sent back to their room to get close toe shoes.   Please respect your hosts requirements, there are safety reasons involved.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, W283386 said:

I have been watching the Summit leave Miami for the past few weeks and noticed that there are passengers on the helicopter pad.  Is this open to everyone or is it an invitation only event.  I have only been on 5 Celebrity sailings but I am in a sky suite.   Any chance of attending?

Talking to the suite concierge is an excellent idea.  Sailing mainly in plain old veranda cabins, the few times we have been invited, it was as Captains Club members.

1345274132_rMilfordSound.thumb.JPG.5b7ab416c63b3291091c08f14a19fa93.JPG

We were invited to a sail away on the Equinox helipad during our first cruise. We were in Aqua Class. Not sure why we were invited.

Same cruise, we were invited to the bridge for a tour. During the Celebrity Connections party for our Cruise Critic roll call, I just asked one of the officers for the bridge tour explaining that my son had a passionate interest in the ship's bridge. A couple of days later, the invitation came. 

I believe that invitation to the Helipad are at the Captain's Discretion.   We always get invited to at least one and usually 2 as a Zenith and a Suite Passenger.  On many cruises I've seen they have invites for Aqua and Concierge as well at different ports.    Some have told me that if you ask the Captain's Club Concierge they will try to get you invited.

In addition to the closed toe shoe also be aware that if it is drizzly  or high seas they will usually cancel.   On a recent cruise they had an invite for a 5:30 AM sail in under the Golden Gate Bridge.   We declined preferring to sleep in, but later heard that they had to cancel it at 5:00 due to weather. 

My all time favorite was Arrival into Manhattan just before sunset and the Captain made a very close approach next to Lady Liberty.   The departure two days later was equally exciting but was REALLY cold.

Edited by Jim_Iain

Agree with Jim_Iain…In our experience on most cruises they run a couple of separate helipad events….

I am fairly sure one is arranged by the suite concierge for suite guests and others with access to the suite lounge.

I think the other is arranged by the Captain’s Club host mainly for Elite and over.The Captain’s Club host can add guests he/she has chatted to who have expressed an interest, perhaps adding recommendations from guest relations (honeymooners, special occasions). Also perhaps as someone suggested people who have booked a future cruise on board.

So I guess if you are not in a suite the Captain’s Club host could be the one to chat to if you want a sail away invite. 

I would think that at both events there is some spare capacity so this is where Aqua and concierge may get random invites too. 

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

We have been a few times. One was as a B2B . One was because the CC host chose us. Can't recall the others, maybe Aqua class.

It can be wonderful or can be far too hot or windy. there is no shelter, no place to sit. I have seen hats go into the 'drink' .. aka overboard .. one upset guy who lost his Tilley.  In my experience people take a spot at the railings and stay so you can be stuck in the middle for the duration. Still we go at an chance we get and leave early if the elements fight us.

Sounds like the helicopter pad sailaway looks like more fun than it actually is on a hot day. 

Along with other uninvited passengers I saw the helicopter pad sailaway from another deck on Equinox and overheard people saying they wished they were invited. 

17 hours ago, chemmo said:

We did a bridge tour also which was informative.

A couple of years ago we did the helicopter pad out of Bayonne. We pulled up about a mile from the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.  We stayed there for about a half hour until the NCL ship left it’s pier in Manhattan. We then followed out of the harbor under the Verizano Bridge. If you do Bayonne going under the bridge is fun.

Be advised that the cruise line may do more than one viewing while leaving ports in order to accommodate more people.

Edited by dkjretired