The Daily for Friday 03/18/2022

richwmn

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I've had my share of awkward moments, but prefer not to have a day to bring them back.  I understand Red Nose Day was brought about to help raise funds for the homeless, such a worthwhile cause.  Bless the Preschool Teachers; they take our little ones into their care and make them comfortable in a school setting.  They put up with tears, toilet accidents, arguments, etc., and yet they love their jobs.  They definitely deserve a day to be recognized.

It's looking like spring might actually be here; yesterday we had + temperatures and bright sunshine, which greatly compacted the snowbanks in the yard.  As we were sitting reading yesterday afternoon, there was some activity in the middle of the street - a couple of large white rabbits were running around, chasing one another through the snow and right in front of our house.  Looks like we might have little bunnies in the neighbourhood in the future. . .

Looking back at my memories on FB, it was 2 years ago today that our province declared a state of emergency with closures of many facilities, notifications to only go out when necessary, etc.  Here we are 2 years later with the world opening up to travel again, but we're still being careful, wearing masks when we go out and using soap and sanitizer whenever we need to.  I think I'm going to document a lot of the things we've done over the past 2 years and put it in a file for our grandsons - the older one will remember the restrictions, as he was in school, but our youngest was born during the pandemic.

I'd love to try today's wine selection, but unless I win the lottery, that's not likely to happen.  I'm not a fan of bourbon, so would likely sub in vodka for the drink of the day.  When I read today's menu selection, I thought it said acqua pizza and thought - hmm, fish on pizza, might have to try it.  Then I put my glasses on and realized it wasn't pizza.  LOL   It's Friday night pizza night at our house, so instead of having fish pizza, I think we'll try some other ingredients for our dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Ukraine and all who are offering assistance.  Extra prayers our Daily-ites who are suffering health related issues.  We'll clink our glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, wear your masks when you need to, get your boosters, wash your hands, and be well!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30

49 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

Sunny 62°F but breezy today.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for the various lists.

Interesting days and quotes.

I will give the food and drink a miss.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Take care.

Graham.

16476092746642390190047423605248.jpg

Screenshot_20220318_141152.jpg

Screenshot_20220318_145616.jpg

Screenshot_20220318_150353.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 7

Cape Town, South Africa is probably one of my top 10 destination ports.  On the good ship Rotterdam VI, we had the pleasure of 3 overnights docked at the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront area.  I used the HOHO bus which had several great routes with scenic high road and coastal views.  Other stops were the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and a drive to see the penquins at Boulders Beach. Table Mountain makes an impressive backdrop to the city. Hope I get to return!

IMG_3191.JPG

IMG_3216.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_3228.JPG

IMG_3215.JPG

IMG_3238.JPG

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Just had our Covid test at Lab Doctor in Fort Lauderdale at a small shopping center almost across from Comfort Inn and a ten minute walk from our hotel. Very efficient and $98 for two of us.

Negative results!

Did you need an appointment or could you just walk in?  Thinking of using them as a backup.

• Like 14

FAREWELL TO KAKALENA

Our dear Kakalena passed quitely in her sleep yesterday with her son at her side. I promised her that I would let her Cruise Critic friends know when the time came.

For those of you who didn't know her p0ersonally, Kakalena was  a long time member of Cruise Critic, and had almost 800 days cruising on HAL ships. She was a very talented vocalist who would frequently join in where they had performers singing in the crows nest. She delighted in organizing Meet & Greets. She was also an accomplished and published poet.

Kakalena will be missed by so many.

Jane

• Like 13
  • Thanks 28

Good morning all!

@lazey1thank you for giving us the news about Kakalena.  Sad news but good that she passed away peacefully in her sleep.  I never met her but wanted to, and always enjoyed her posts and trip reports.

It will be a cool day here (low 50's) but no rain expected, so that's good.  I hope to get in the garden again.  Tomorrow is the HAL Travel Show in Seattle, we plan to go to that and probably visit the kids and grandkids on the way there or back.  Sunday hopefully I'll go with DD and DDIL to see the 29 cherry trees in bloom at the UW Quad.  That will depend on the weather but I hope to get there Sunday or next week.  Every year people come from all over to view them.

I've had my share of awkward moments but like others prefer to forget them as quickly as I can.  The other two days are worthy of celebration.

I have mixed feelings about the meal.  I like fish and I like tomatoes, but not always together. 😄 If I made this, I would use cod that I have in the freezer but prefer it prepared other ways.  If someone else made it for me I wouldn't turn it down though!

Will pass on the drink and wine, have never been to the port of the day.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list and for Ukraine.  Cheers to all who are celebrating!

• Like 18

12 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

FAREWELL TO KAKALENA

Our dear Kakalena passed quitely in her sleep yesterday with her son at her side. I promised her that I would let her Cruise Critic friends know when the time came.

For those of you who didn't know her p0ersonally, Kakalena was  a long time member of Cruise Critic, and had almost 800 days cruising on HAL ships. She was a very talented vocalist who would frequently join in where they had performers singing in the crows nest. She delighted in organizing Meet & Greets. She was also an accomplished and published poet.

Jane

I am sad that she has passed.... but I know she is at peace and the suffering has ended. She was such a good person.

Susan

• Like 14

Good morning, all. Thank you, Jane @lazey1for the news about Kakalena. I never met her, but always appreciated her posts. I'm glad she's at peace now.

We had heavy fog here this morning. This is what greeted me when I went out to grab the paper:

fog.jpg

• Like 17

Good morning and thanks all!  Sorry to hear the news about Kakalena. 
@St Pete Cruiser thanks for the photos!  Nice to see these ports I haven’t visited.  
@HAL Sailer hope you get some answers for your DH! 
Sending good wishes to all for a good nearly spring day! 
We are happy we have been able to move our holy land cruise over to next year,  with this new variant and unsettled world we are not quite ready this year.  

• Like 18

53 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

FAREWELL TO KAKALENA

Jane

Oh, I’m so sad to read this. She was a friend of mine on  Facebook and on the Hal board. Thank you for letting us know. I haven’t looked yet, but I hope you posted this on the Hal board. Rest In Peace, kakalena.

• Like 18

I've actually been to Cape Town 3 times, twice with Rovos Rail, and again in 2014 on Crystal Serenity/Amsterdam.  The photos are all from 2014.  I had 3 nights between ships and for the first 2 I stayed at the iconic Victoria and Alfred hotel which dominates the harbor view:

vahotel.jpg

@St Pete Cruiser has already shown us photos of Table Mountain so I won't repeat that.  The first day, after disembarking Serenity I took another boat ride out to Robben Island, sometimes used as a leper colony but mostly a prison, especially for political prisoners.  It's been closed since the early 90's and many of the former convicts work as tour guides.  Most of the cells have been cleaned out but Mandela's is still much as it was when he was there.

mandelacell.jpg

On a 2005 visit a worker was cleaning Mandela's cell while I was there and got to step inside it.

The boat used to transport convicts was also on display:

convictboat.jpg

The final night I took a field trip to Aquila Game Reserve.  Unlike the reserves in National Park the animals here are confined to the reserve, mostly animals that have been injured and are unable to survive in the wild but still magnificent.  There were several lions:

lions1.jpg

HAL ran a number of tours to Aquila but by booking an overnight tour I was able to do an early morning tour while the animals were more active.  Here's a leopard:

leopard4.jpg

And a Wildebewest:

wildebeest.jpg

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Daily and prayers for Roy's care list, Ukraine and Kakalena.    

I have been absent and brief - I am doing two talks at our local garden center today and it is taking my mind off from fun things.   Back to normal tomorrow.    

• Like 17

1 hour ago, lazey1 said:

FAREWELL TO KAKALENA

Jane

Thank you, Jane, for letting us know that Kakalena has passed.   I am grateful that she passed peacefully and that she is now at rest.  End of life is generally harder on those left behind, so prayers for her son that he finds healing in his mom's death and that memories sustain him.

• Like 18

20 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

FAREWELL TO KAKALENA

Jane

Jane, thank you for letting us know of Kakalina's passing.  I'm glad her passing was peaceful and that her son was with her.  Our condolences to her family, and to you and her other friends,

My regret is that I did not meet her on her last  cruise, and I did not think to ask you to see if we could have met briefly.  She sounds like a very interesting person.

May she rest in peace.

Lenda

• Like 17

Good morning, Dailyites and thanks to Rich, Roy, and all who post.  I'm very sorry to hear of Kakalena's passing.  

I have been to Cape Town, but I was just 3 and all I have is my mother's memories of it.  We had been prisoners of war in Shanghai and as my mother was not well, we became part of an American prisoner of war exchange.  We went from Shanghai (in September, 1943) to Hong Kong and then Goa for the exchange, then Cape Town for restocking.  We were sent ashore, and a kind family took us in for a few days and provided us with some clothing  My mother kept in touch with them for years.  After Cape Town we sailed to Rio, and then NY where we were put on a train for Montreal.  By then it was December, and the Red Cross in Montreal gave us winter clothing.  We took the train to Vancouver to live with my grandmother in Victoria, and arrived in time for Christmas.  I actually have been thinking of those days, although I don't remember them, now that there are refugees trying to find places to go away from their homes in Ukraine.  I must have been a terrible 3 year old, and just about drove my mother crazy.  When I see the small children in the refugee centres, I wonder how the mothers are managing!

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 6

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  I'll need to see what Graham has to say about Red Nose Day.  I've had a few Awkward Moments and Preschool Teachers are very important.  I like the Rowling quote.  I spent 3 days in Cape Town between disembarking Crystal Serenity and boarding Amsterdam and was due to be back in 2020 on QM2.  I had to look up Acqua pazza and will give it a pass as I don't eat seafood.  My alternative is Chilled Raspberry Soup, Caribbean Jerk Chicken Breast, and Apple Cinnamon Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam March 18, 2019.

dishes18.jpg

Today’s care list:

Kakalina with esophageal blockage and numbered days
Ukraine
Hartgrove older sister with aggressive cancer
Strength for Jacqui as she searches for a suitable facility for Jose
Marely’s continuing decline
Welfare of furloughed crews
HAL Sailer DH in hospital with unsure diagnosis
Tana with pneumonia and rough nights
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
Buddy still having trouble getting food down
Sam with tinnitus and TMJ
From the rotation:
Cruzn single post-covid fatigue
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise
ger_77 DH awaiting pacemaker
Marshhawk awaiting surgery and problems with Doctor/pharmacy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with passengers
Roofing progress on durangoscots shelter
60 years for irishjim and DW
3 days for Aliaschief and Dwaliaschief (Rotterdam to 4/3)
2 days for Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS to 4/3)
 Navybikermom (Nieuw Amsterdam to 3/19),  GTVCCRUISER (Koningsdam to 3/20), DeeniEncinitas  (Ruby Princess to 3/27),  Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3)Overhead Fred, sassy-one, and sailingdutchy (Niew Statendam  to 4/ 6) at sea
Last minute bookings for Vict0riann and AV8rix
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - enjoying a well earned vacation. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Just  read  Kakalina     passed  away  this  morning  may  she  RIP.

Jim.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Did you need an appointment or could you just walk in?  Thinking of using them as a backup.

Walked in. Actually stood outside door. Worker came out took our name. Asked if we had smart phones. Told us to scan our phones follow link fill out questionnaire and twenty minutes later we walked away with a printed certified Covid test.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites and thanks to Rich, Roy, and all who post.  I'm very sorry to hear of Kakalena's passing.  

I have been to Cape Town, but I was just 3 and all I have is my mother's memories of it.  We had been prisoners of war in Shanghai and as my mother was not well, we became part of an American prisoner of war exchange.  We went from Shanghai (in September, 1943) to Hong Kong and then Goa for the exchange, then Cape Town for restocking.  We were sent ashore, and a kind family took us in for a few days and provided us with some clothing  My mother kept in touch with them for years.  After Cape Town we sailed to Rio, and then NY where we were put on a train for Montreal.  By then it was December, and the Red Cross in Montreal gave us winter clothing.  We took the train to Vancouver to live with my grandmother in Victoria, and arrived in time for Christmas.  I actually have been thinking of those days, although I don't remember them, now that there are refugees trying to find places to go away from their homes in Ukraine.  I must have been a terrible 3 year old, and just about drove my mother crazy.  When I see the small children in the refugee centres, I wonder how the mothers are managing!

I am so in awe of your story and all these amazing people.  My grandparents left Russia before the Russian revolution and came to Canada with my dad as a baby and his young sister. They both got German measles on the boat and lost their hearing.   It is truly awe inspiring  what some people are going through, I pray for safe passage for these poor uprooted people from Ukraine. 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 5

Thank you @lazey1 for sharing the news about Trisha.  Although we never met in person, we’ve had several communications over the past few years. Is email and FB messenger. I like to think I was one of the voices that helped her finally decide to self-publish the poems she’d written as a gift for her son and grandchildren.  

May her soul Rest In Peace, as she and her dear Virgil are reunited for eternity.

Gerry

• Like 18