Celebrity and Matching Boarding Day Shirts

PinkSandGirl

This thread has given me an idea for shirts for next year's river cruise!

A few years ago, several of our traveling companions were on a Celebrity excursion to Pisa. To round up the groups, the guide would call out "Siblings!, Siblings! Follow me!" A few of our friends actually are siblings and my SiL/BiL were part of that excursion, though DH and I diy'd it to Portovenere that day. Ever since, we have referred to ourselves as The Siblings Group and our numbers have expanded with additional friends who in turn get their siblings to sail along with us!

For the Edge Eastern Caribbean Inaugural roll call members ordered shirts with a logo designed by one of our members, but they were polo-style and we could choose our color and fabric.

Last few cruises I have made sure DH and I wear the same color... for a simple reason...so I can find him when either one of us wanders off. That way.. I just check my own shirt color to know what to look for across a crowded terminal. I really need to do this when we go to Costco or Home Depot... he will wander off with the cart while I am looking at something and then I have to search for him while carrying a 25 lb bag of potting soil... 🙂 

• Haha 1

We have never taken a group cruise.  We only travel as a couple of with our immediate family.  Therefore, no group shirts.  Perhaps we would wear them if part of a large group, but it is really not our style.  For what it's worth, we are not lanyard people either.

23 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I'll not waste any precious time on a cruise passing judgement.

LOL-- Same here-- I don't pass no judgment unless I see something " good ".

Hey, it's one of the best parts ( fun ) of the cruise " Experience " --ok, ok for me.

Ever tell ya about the " old f--t " with  etc, etc--- 

And, about the matching t shirts --- Not a chance--- Who knows, Ya might end up in the wrong room and have a better time than you deserve . On the other hand,--------- maybe it's not such a bad idea??

Also, that photo above----- Yikes, Are they part of the 200 hookers ----- that I'm thinking about ????

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2022 at 5:32 AM, Moby Jones said:

Last cruise we had over 200 hookers sailing onboard that all wore matching t-shirts. 

They took over large areas of the OV cafe at times but where not hindering people at all. 

I also learned that the word 'hooker' was the word given to these ladies who crochet! They were all part of an international crochet club...... 🙂

I am glad you explained.  I was wondering what kind of cruise line this was. LOL

On 3/21/2022 at 9:12 AM, kearney said:

Last few cruises I have made sure DH and I wear the same color... for a simple reason...so I can find him when either one of us wanders off. That way.. I just check my own shirt color to know what to look for across a crowded terminal. I really need to do this when we go to Costco or Home Depot... he will wander off with the cart while I am looking at something and then I have to search for him while carrying a 25 lb bag of potting soil... 🙂 

Brilliant..I wonder off from my Wife all the time.  🙂

On 3/20/2022 at 8:58 AM, davy jones said:
On 3/20/2022 at 8:32 AM, Moby Jones said:

Last cruise we had over 200 hookers sailing onboard that all wore matching t-shirts. 

They took over large areas of the OV cafe at times but where not hindering people at all. 

I also learned that the word 'hooker' was the word given to these ladies who crochet! They were all part of an international crochet club...... 🙂

Expand  

I thought that you were talking about a rugby club.

Never occurred to me it meant anything other than HOOKERS....so it immediately came to mind the t-shirts would be very very interesting!

Edited by Oceangoer2

9 minutes ago, SWFL Cruisers said:

I have fun no matter what anyone else thinks. This is from the group cruise I organized for our Corvette Club. We had many folks who commented how fun our group was and wanted to hang out with us all week!

275550920_10221689620412579_7671840825454325476_n.jpg

275557071_10221689623852665_2996205369920286137_n.jpg

275581530_10221689624612684_1529676497182993073_n.jpg

275781764_10221689622252625_5506513448551952602_n.jpg

Love it!  So fun!  

Just like us.  😉

🍹

On 3/19/2022 at 9:17 PM, PinkSandGirl said:
Hi!  So, there have been some recent posts about Lanyard use while cruising.  I personally don't use one, I use wristlets while onboard, but for those that do, no big deal.  They find it convenient and if they prefer to use them, then they should.  Well, after seeing some posts here on Cruise Critic, I find it funny how some people find it almost appalling to use them on Celebrity.  🤣 

That got me thinking.

Not that it matters because I still will, but I'm curious as to what others think of Boarding Day Matching Shirts?   Do those same people who scoff at lanyards think the same of matching shirts?  😅

Ever since my first cruise, we all wear matching shirts the first day.  It has become tradition and there are aspects of the design that have 'secret' meanings and traditions along with new things. 

I started cruising on Royal Caribbean and then moved to Celebrity.   There are definitely less 'groups' with matching shirts on Celebrity.

I have found with each cruise, people love the idea.  Strangers come up and comment, the crew comments.  Some people will say I saw 'one of you' over there.   Some ask questions.   

I do it for us.  Have always done them and always will. 😃  Everyone knows that if you are a part of a cruise I plan, then you are wearing a shirt.  😉

Like I said, the anti-lanyard crowd made me wonder about Our Matching Shirts.  😉

Is there an anti-matching shirt crowd that sails on Celebrity as well? 😉

Do you wear matching shirts?  Do you have a tradition of wearing something special on Boarding Day?

🍹

I have worn matching shirts on all my ‘girls cruise’ cruises.  Maybe I will wear matching shirts with my husband on our Beyond cruise which you are also on!

• Like 1

We recently got off the Apex TA and became friends with a group young men (30’s-40’s) traveling together.  We would run into them on the Retreat Sun Deck and Luminae.  One night we were having dinner at the Roof Top Garden Grill and I noticed something strange … someone was walking around in a Shark “onesie” and said to my husband … who would do that!   Turns out I was wrong — it was a dinosaur 🦖.   Seems this group had picked a happy hour to dress in a onesie.  There were lumberjacks, Elmo,  a Cookie Monster and, of course, the dinosaur.  They had so much fun and brought smiles to everyone they saw.  In case you’re curious they changed before going to dinner “since it wasn’t dining attire”.   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, riredsox said:

I have worn matching shirts on all my ‘girls cruise’ cruises.  Maybe I will wear matching shirts with my husband on our Beyond cruise which you are also on!

Yes, definitely!  😉

🍹

20 hours ago, christy42 said:

Sorry for the off-topic @MamaFej. Can you guys make stencils with her Cricut and then airbrushes them on? I NEED TO FIND a PERSON like her...PLEASE!!!!! I would absolutely love to know how to do this! I recently purchased a Cuttlebug (hand crank die cutter) - and love it for my card-making projects. I was thinking that I could also use it for rice paper . . .

but rice paper is pretty fragile and might crack. I'm working on stuff for my son's graduation open house, so don't have much time to play with the Cuttlebug right now. This cricut is AMAZING! You can cut just about anything with it (I have the expressions, not sure about the other ones) including cutting things like chipboard. I never thought about making stencils with it, but from talking to a few people, yes, you can buy plastic sheets specifically for things like stencils.

I have the Maker. 
I have made stencils with mine for painting and for glass etching. I don’t know about airbrushing. You might consider looking for Cricut groups on the Zuckerberg social media platform. There are many of them, including one for campers and one for doing Cricut projects with supplies from DollarTree. 

I do mostly vinyl and paper projects, and I’ve barely chipped away at the tip of the iceberg of what the machine can do. I did design my current avatar in the Cricut Design Space software. 

Best of luck to you! 

On 3/19/2022 at 9:17 PM, PinkSandGirl said:
Hi!  So, there have been some recent posts about Lanyard use while cruising.  I personally don't use one, I use wristlets while onboard, but for those that do, no big deal.  They find it convenient and if they prefer to use them, then they should.  Well, after seeing some posts here on Cruise Critic, I find it funny how some people find it almost appalling to use them on Celebrity.  🤣 

That got me thinking.

Not that it matters because I still will, but I'm curious as to what others think of Boarding Day Matching Shirts?   Do those same people who scoff at lanyards think the same of matching shirts?  😅

Ever since my first cruise, we all wear matching shirts the first day.  It has become tradition and there are aspects of the design that have 'secret' meanings and traditions along with new things. 

I started cruising on Royal Caribbean and then moved to Celebrity.   There are definitely less 'groups' with matching shirts on Celebrity.

I have found with each cruise, people love the idea.  Strangers come up and comment, the crew comments.  Some people will say I saw 'one of you' over there.   Some ask questions.   

I do it for us.  Have always done them and always will. 😃  Everyone knows that if you are a part of a cruise I plan, then you are wearing a shirt.  😉

Like I said, the anti-lanyard crowd made me wonder about Our Matching Shirts.  😉

Is there an anti-matching shirt crowd that sails on Celebrity as well? 😉

Do you wear matching shirts?  Do you have a tradition of wearing something special on Boarding Day?

🍹

We wear matching shirts if traveling with a group.  If you enjoy of course continue- who cares what other people think.  Continue with your tradition.  I also wear a lanyard- easy for me since I don't have pockets on most of my clothes or swim suits, and do not want to bring a bag all of the time around the ship.

Enjoy

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 11:47 AM, raudacruise said:

I have no problem with lanyards or matching t-shirts.

A few of my very active CC roll calls have had matching shirts. My favorite was “Millie’s Marauders” for a TA with an image of the ship and the itinerary. 

We love TA cruises and many of ours have been quite active as well.

Years ago I, or someone else on the roll call, would design customized tee shirts which anyone could purchase if they desired. Not only was it fun to do, everyone would have the opportunity to get a special keepsake for their cruise.

I've never been on Millie, but “Millie's Marauders” is clever. Is there a story behind the title? 😉

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1

I wore matching tee shirts only once. It was on an extended family cruise for my sister’s milestone birthday.

I had matching  shirts made for everyone from grandparents to the toddler, with a birthday message on them. We all wore the shirts on embarkation day.

Throughout  the cruise, many people recognized us and gave us positive words.

It was a fun thing to do. We are going on a cruise in a few months with a group of friends. You may have just given me an idea!

And I do use a lanyard. I find it very convenient.  I don’t really care what others think. 

• Like 1

Tee shirts, magnets  etc were once very popular with roll call groups on Royal  and Celebrity..I still have a few tees..they have the dates, name of ship, name of  group, and list of ports.  Encouraged group spirit..for meet ups and excursions.

Seems roll calls  are not that poular anymore with fb groups etc in competition.

We  still post our  Cruise Critic sign on our door...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1