Discovery Princess arrives in CA

arizonaperson

Hopefully the promised instructions about how we board the ship on 3/27 will also soon arrive by email for the first time a cruise ship has boarded at the remote Berth 50 with no terminal building. 🤞

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Hopefully the promised instructions about how we board the ship on 3/27 will also soon arrive by email for the first time a cruise ship has boarded at the remote Berth 50 with no terminal building. 🤞

Agree ,my mom and her husband are on the April 3 voyage and I hope all of you that are on March 27th will post what your experience is with Parking, drop off, shuttle, check in etc.. My  mom lives local in Southern California ,so the pictures were taken yesterday by her. She’s on Cruise critic but rarely looks at it and almost never posts.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

Agree ,my mom and her husband are on the April 3 voyage and I hope all of you that are on March 27th will post what your experience is with Parking, drop off, shuttle, check in etc

One person on the roll call posted they’ll create a Live thread to include videos. Probably a few of us will also post on it about our experiences beginning with the boarding procedure. While cruising might be an adventure it’s good to know the procedures. 😊

We’re B2B & due to the uncertainty about the embarkation/disembarkation procedure will be dropped off & picked up instead of parking.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

Agree ,my mom and her husband are on the April 3 voyage and I hope all of you that are on March 27th will post what your experience is with Parking, drop off, shuttle, check in etc.. My  mom lives local in Southern California ,so the pictures were taken yesterday by her. She’s on Cruise critic but rarely looks at it and almost never posts.

Thank you for sharing her photos!!

• Like 1

I am so excited Discovery has finally arrived. If anyone who is in the Owners Suite and the Penthouse Suite could you please take photos. We are having a hard time deciding which room we would like. Also can you please let us know if the Owners Suite is noisy at night. I hope everyone who gets sailing has a wonderful time. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Interesting...no terminal building? I can't really picture how all that will work.  We don't board until October so this should be interesting!

13 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Interesting...no terminal building? I can't really picture how all that will work.  We don't board until October so this should be interesting!

What we think is happening is people will park, drop off luggage, go into the regular terminal building to check in and then be shuttled over to Berth 50. No official word on that yet though.

15 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Same here.  August 14th?

August 21. You'll have to let us know how it goes on the sailing of the 14th. (And take good care of the ship for us. 😂)

2 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

As you can see there is only a small tent at B50 which is not large enough to process passengers & luggage. As tonit964 wrote that’s the unofficial word for B93 (check-in, luggage, shuttle to B50) which is vacant on days Discovery is docked at B50…first time it’s being used for a cruise ship. Possibly the small tent will be used for a final security check or as a VIP tent for the inaugural cruise. That tent is not large enough for disembarkation CBP processing & luggage so will likely need to be shuttled back to B93 for those things. Older photos show a large tent at B46 which was Discovery’s original berth but was changed to B50.

It’s frustrating that Princess did not reserve B92 (only LA terminal long enough for these larger ships) for Discovery’s first cruises before NCL got it for Bliss. It is even more frustrating that only 6 days before we embark Princess has not sent the Emergency Notification they have promised several times with the procedures.

Based on the port’s berth assignments during all of October Discovery has B92 with an actual terminal building…lucky you.

https://www.portsamerica.com/operations/cruise-los-angeles-terminal-schedule

2 hours ago, tonit964 said:

What we think is happening is people will park, drop off luggage, go into the regular terminal building to check in and then be shuttled over to Berth 50. No official word on that yet though.

AD7FFBBB-5D77-49B4-BF40-199E6DEA2196.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Peachestravels said:

Was the Owners Suite very noisy from the lounge down below?

Never heard a peep. Huge room but lacked a dining table. There was plenty of room for one. I guess I'm just spoiled to suites on Celebrity. Verandah had no cover from the sun at all. We are booked on the Discovery for Alaska in 2023. 

17 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

@Astro Flyer They are going to need a bigger tent! lol

Hopefully the "shuttle" is a quick on/off tram situation and not big busses that will take time to get everyone loaded on/off.  That would take so much extra time for embarkation and disembarkation.  Thanks for all the info!

You’re welcome…definitely need a much larger tent! ☺️

When boarding Golden Princess in Buenos Aires passengers check-in & check luggage at the terminal building and were shuttled on buses such as we’ve used at other ports & from planes to a terminal…the kind where many stand up for a short ride and luggage was transported by truck to the ship.

This shows a large tent that was previously erected at B46 which appears to have been large enough for check-in, luggage & CBP processing. In the background is the Liberty ship SS Lane Victory which was previously docked at B50.

image.thumb.jpeg.f6c4a3294666334f6b77e88ab3452dbe.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 2

The Discovery has been moved to the regularly used Berth #92/93 terminal.  It is only temporary.  They are having some publicity events for a few days this week. 
VIP types, TA’s, & who knows who else are invited to board. 

59A8DC04-3267-4A91-A24B-B5C97F58A26A.jpeg

Edited by Rick&Jenny
Add photo

So if they can park her at 93 for the VIP events, why can it not be used for a normal turnaround?  Makes no sense.  Either the berth can accommodate the vessel or it cannot it would seem.  Or is it a case that she can dock at either 92 or 93 when the other berth is not in use by another similarly sized or larger vessel as the two ships would cause issue somehow?  This all makes no sense?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

So if they can park her at 93 for the VIP events, why can it not be used for a normal turnaround?  Makes no sense.  Either the berth can accommodate the vessel or it cannot it would seem.  Or is it a case that she can dock at either 92 or 93 when the other berth is not in use by another similarly sized or larger vessel as the two ships would cause issue somehow?  This all makes no sense?

She can't fit in Berth 93 and NCL Bliss is in 92 but not today because she is out on a sailing.

That's why they are doing the activities mid week.

• Like 1