Questions... Children, Formal Dress, Smoking, more???

joseph123

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

I don't mean to be in a spitting war with you, really. 😉 You said what I wrote was nonsense ("I call bunk") for saying taking extra clothing for a single night can be challenging with luggage weight limits. That's all I was saying, by way of explanation why some people raise questions about the dress code.  We can have different points of view, but saying that I'm writing nonsense when I'm simply sharing my reality is what I felt was offensive. And now in your reply, you said my explanation which you quote above is also offensive ("hold up a mirror in front of your face")? Why would you find my point of view offensive? You can disagree; you can find my point of view silly — but why is it offensive to you?

Now, let me try to clarify words you seem to be putting in my mouth. You wrote: "you believe SS should allow you to dine wherever you want regardless of the evening’s dress code." Nope! I never wrote that, and in fact I have written several times that I always have and always will comply with Silversea's (or any cruise line's) dress code. Does that mean I can't offer an opinion that I'd prefer to see slight changes in the dress code in the future? I would prefer not to have to pack extra formal clothes that I might wear only one night. But unless the dress code ever changes, I have, and I will. I've only said that I'd prefer not to. I've said I understand why others may want to dress to whatever degree of formal clothing they like, whether it's a dark suit/tux/dinner jacket, ball gown, or whatever, but I don't understand why, if I wore a blue sport jacket with gray pants rather than a black suit, it would detract from the cruises of others.

You challenged me in your previous post why we wouldn't just bring an extra suitcase. I tried to explain that doing so was both more expensive than you said, but would carry additional hidden costs which I tried to specify. For this, you said I was being offensive. Really? So people can't have a pleasant conversation on this site if it includes an opinion and reasons why we might prefer to see current policies tweaked in the future? Actually, I wasn't even advocating for change; I was just explaining why some people may not love the current policy. 

Thanks. No, I would never put the machine (which is for my wife) in our checked luggage. I usually put it in our carry-on bag; unfortunately, it uses up about 1/3 of the space in the carry-on bag. I only mentioned it in reference to the idea of putting more clothing into our carry-on. Yes, we could carry it separately and not be charged, but I'm normally handling the carry-on bag plus a small camera bag, so carrying a third bag with the CPAP machine just gets a bit unwieldy to carry on. I've done it, but generally aim to put the machine in the carry-on bag so there's one fewer thing dangling from my arms and no need for further interaction with gate agents. 😉

Space in the bag isn't the issue; its weight. Filling shoes/boot with socks/underwear saves space, but not weight. 😄

I could do that, too, although I'd note that technically it doesn't meet the requirements of a formal night, which calls for a dark suit. Since some SS cruisers here strongly challenge people who don't follow the dress code, I comply by also bringing a black suit in addition to a sport jacket for informal nights. That's what led me to say the weight adds up... which then engendered this whole spin-off of the conversation. Yikes. I only tried to explain, but each further explanation was picked apart, so I guess I failed and should have kept my mouth shut.

Well I don’t know why anyone should understand this—-You’re right on - great response as I see it and honest at that.

Edited by ronrick1943
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 5:08 PM, joseph123 said:

So sounds as if I am not going to fit in here? This was not a debate on a policy change. I am asking these questions to determine if I should book this cruise. From the sounds of many of these posts, it does not seem that smartly casual attire would be welcome on any nights other than the casual dedicated evenings. If there are others that would disagree please let me know.

If the dress code for the evening specifies "jacket required" then a jacket is required in the main dining room.  I've seen people sent back to their room for a jacket.  You could dine on the pool deck at the Grill instead.  I have also seen the bartender mention to folks who come in to the bar after 6 that the dress code is now in effect.  That means please change out of your shore excursion shorts and t-shirts.

Have you looked at the expedition ships?  I don't think they have formal nights (someone chime in here, I'm boarding my first expedition on the Cloud next week!)

Missy in Maryland

It is always amazing (funny) to read these (numerous) dress code threads on the SS boards.  All one has to do is read SS policies on-line regarding dress codes - they are spelled out rather clear.  After understanding the requirements (for dress, conduct, etc) one can decide to book a cruise with SS or not.  SS is only trying to fill several hundred cabins per vessel, not several thousand.  They, (& the passengers) will not miss you if you decide not to book because you don't want to follow the rules.  There are so many options out there that everyone's preferences for a cruise can be found.  IF you decide you want to sail on SS, please don't try to change them to meet your needs; change yourself to meet theirs - or book somewhere else.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mitz18 said:

It is always amazing (funny) to read these (numerous) dress code threads on the SS boards.  All one has to do is read SS policies on-line regarding dress codes - they are spelled out rather clear.  After understanding the requirements (for dress, conduct, etc) one can decide to book a cruise with SS or not.  SS is only trying to fill several hundred cabins per vessel, not several thousand.  They, (& the passengers) will not miss you if you decide not to book because you don't want to follow the rules.  There are so many options out there that everyone's preferences for a cruise can be found.  IF you decide you want to sail on SS, please don't try to change them to meet your needs; change yourself to meet theirs - or book somewhere else.

I do agree with you, but why not have a better restaurant then the pool/Grill for those that don’t want to wear a jacket.  How would that hurt.

36 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

I do agree with you, but why not have a better restaurant then the pool/Grill for those that don’t want to wear a jacket.  How would that hurt.

Well it seems that SS wants to maintain a certain dress code and probably would prefer not to have any casual areas, but have "caved" (or shall we say are trying to please) to the crowd that does not want to dress up.  I know & accept there are those that prefer not to dress up, but don't understand why they want to complain about a cruise line policy that goes against their feeling.  It would be like me complaining that Royal Caribbean doesn't enforce formal dress on formal night.  Or complaining there are too many kids on Disney.  I'm sure there are people that complain they cannot take their kids on Virgin.  There are so many options for cruising, why not pick a line that fits what you want out of a cruise?  That is my only complaint against these types of threads.  Don't complain against SS, just book with a different carrier and leave me my one formal line.

Edited by mitz18
spelling
  • Like 10

33 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Just making an opinion, time will tell.

I know.  I know.  You’ve made that point very clear in the past too.  You are definitely entitled to your opinions.  The problem is you didn’t express it as opinion, but as a question.  But, I digress.  The bottom line is you continually miss the point of how I and others have responded to your opinion on the matter.

Here’s the deal… it’s not about Silversea changing their dress code policy.  They already have.  And, long time passengers of the line won’t be surprised if they change it again.  Businesses change their policies and approaches all of the time.  It’s the only thing that is constant in business; change.

But, when they do, we accept it for what it is; their decision. It’s their business.  They can do what they wish.  As consumers, we are left with one thing; choice.  We choose.  Moaning, whining, and complaining over and over across different topics about an issue you have zero control over does no one any good in this forum.  Accept it as it is.  If not, and you don’t like it, move on.  But, don’t incessantly begrudge the people who enjoy the experience the way that it is at any given point in time.  

Edited by Stumblefoot
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

One of the reasons I first booked with Silversea is that I like to dress up. I used to cruise with another line whose formal nights gradually got too casual for my taste. I agree that there are plenty of cruise lines out there with differing policies on dress and all kinds of things, and i wouldn't try to change a cruise line to fit my preferences. I do hope that Silversea continues to hold its present dress code and will continue to book as long as they do, once all this testing and restriction is over. ( I am on Whisper in late June, but the restrictions are spoiling the usual anticipation and excitement; I only booked because I honestly thought it would all be over by now!)

Edited by Clodia
typo

It is a vicious circle. Will SS alter their policies as passenger demographics change or will the RCCL policies force through a change? Who knows? I suspect .... and a personal opinion ... that things will be slowly 'relaxed' and as such many people will go elsewhere ... to be replaced by people who favour the new regime.

On a similar vein, the marketing policies surrounding D2D, P2P, and the all inclusive cruises are not for me so I have moved elsewhere., as I would have if the dress code was relaxed, the stricter dress  ode being one of the reasons I choose SS in the first place 😁

No point in moaning about it ... you pays your money and you make your choice. 🤔

I have always thought the simple answer is to have "formal night" apply to the main dining room and bar(decks 4 and 5) while allowing La Terrazza and the Panorama Lounge to be "jacket required"

That way everyone has options.

• Like 1

Sadly since the takeover by RCCL the writing has been on the wall for the dip in the luxury standards we have enjoyed since the mid 90s.

We shall live with the memories of 800 days of seeing the World in the luxury of SS ships.Sadly the present new regime does everything but inspire us to cruise again with them.

9 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I know.  I know.  You’ve made that point very clear in the past too.  You are definitely entitled to your opinions.  The problem is you didn’t express it as opinion, but as a question.  But, I digress.  The bottom line is you continually miss the point of how I and others have responded to your opinion on the matter.

Here’s the deal… it’s not about Silversea changing their dress code policy.  They already have.  And, long time passengers of the line won’t be surprised if they change it again.  Businesses change their policies and approaches all of the time.  It’s the only thing that is constant in business; change.

But, when they do, we accept it for what it is; their decision. It’s their business.  They can do what they wish.  As consumers, we are left with one thing; choice.  We choose.  Moaning, whining, and complaining over and over across different topics about an issue you have zero control over does no one any good in this forum.  Accept it as it is.  If not, and you don’t like it, move on.  But, don’t incessantly begrudge the people who enjoy the experience the way that it is at any given point in time.  

I see we actually agree, and yes the decision for now is what it is and yes when on a ship I do follow the policy they have - Just an FYI, The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection which in my opinion is more upscale than Silversea-guess what no jacket required.  I know you’ll say well cruise them, I have booked them—but also want to try Silversea at this time.

Edited by ronrick1943

30 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

I see we actually agree, and yes the decision for now is what it is and yes when on a ship I do follow the policy they have - Just an FYI, The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection which in my opinion is more upscale than Silversea-guess what no jacket required.  I know you’ll say well cruise them, I have booked them—but also want to try Silversea at this time.

The point is that It doesn't matter to Silversea what the other cruise lines are doing.   There is more than enough cruise demand for them to carve out their own niche instead of following the herd. 

44 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Like food, to say one line is more upscale than another is highly subjective.  Even more so when the claim is made about a line that has yet to even sail.

One thing for certain, Ritz Carlton is going after a completely different target demographic than Silversea; high-net-worth cruise skeptics who are young and in the family formation stage.  I cannot overestimate the importance of the new-to-cruise customer to Ritz.  Their business investment model is built on that singular premise that there are people in the luxury segment who travel frequently, who are existing guests of The Ritz-Carlton, but have never taken a cruise before.  This is why the vast bulk of Ritz itineraries are 7 to 10 days in order to attract this demographic with children.  

In addition, there are literally tens of thousands members of Marriott Rewards “Bonvoy” program who have millions of points to spend that aspire to travel in luxury on vacation.  For Ritz Carlton specifically,  there are nearly 400,000 households who are in this target.  And, it only takes about 3% to 5% of that target who anxiously await an opportunity to use their points as currency to experience a Ritz on the sea, not just at the sea, to be successful.

As such, the Ritz product needs to be vastly different than Silversea.   In the end, will this translate to a more upscale experience than Silversea?  Well that, as you like to say, will be just a matter of opinion.

Edited by Stumblefoot
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, mysty said:

The point is that It doesn't matter to Silversea what the other cruise lines are doing.   There is more than enough cruise demand for them to carve out their own niche instead of following the herd. 

I don’t think it’s following the herd, Silverseas will follow the money - just like all the cruise lines.

8 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

I don’t think it’s following the herd, Silverseas will follow the money - just like all the cruise lines.

Silversea is following the money in their own niche!  Why would they want to present as "just like every other cruise line"?  Why do you think new people want to book Silversea?  They are not like any other cruise line!

7 minutes ago, mysty said:

Silversea is following the money in their own niche!  Why would they want to present as "just like every other cruise line"?  Why do you think new people want to book Silversea?  They are not like any other cruise line!

I guess same reason that people leave Silversea to try other lines.  In fact I’m getting a little concerned about my bookings on Silversea after reading the Silversea Facebook comments.  But I want to try Silversea-so I’m keeping the bookings right now.

29 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

I guess same reason that people leave Silversea to try other lines.  In fact I’m getting a little concerned about my bookings on Silversea after reading the Silversea Facebook comments.  But I want to try Silversea-so I’m keeping the bookings right now.

I'm sorry!  I don't follow your logic.  People are leaving Silversea for the same reason that new people want to book on Silversea?   I'm not sure you can assume that people are leaving Silversea for the reasons you keep mentioning.  Has there been a poll of folks moving on to "greener pastures"?

48 minutes ago, mysty said:

I'm sorry!  I don't follow your logic.  People are leaving Silversea for the same reason that new people want to book on Silversea?   I'm not sure you can assume that people are leaving Silversea for the reasons you keep mentioning.  Has there been a poll of folks moving on to "greener pastures"?

No, just reading CC and Facebook.  For one thing food is very important on a cruise—-Silversea seems to plate for on trendy looking plates, yet people are saying the food isn’t consistently good. This is not me-it’s people on the cruise saying it.