Potential fix for E-Muster no shows

Karter

Unfortunately, there is a not “perfect” solution with this. I don't think it's necessary to restrict everyone's access to bars and activities by closing them, since those who did comply with the muster checking in, should still be able to enjoy the amenities, and not be “punished” because X amount of people can't seem to take care of something that only takes about 5-10 mins tops.

Stickers are a good idea, but then it's on the crew to not serve these people or allow these people to partake in anything ship wide unless they have said sticker. That can lead to confrontational moments, to which I'm sure the crew does not want to be put in the middle of. You know how some people get and they start “flexing their attitude” and not all crew members should have to deal with that. Especially the ones who are just doing what they are told to do, and don't have any say on any exceptions. 

Public announcements by name is good, but only works if said people are paying attention and actually give a "f". It seems to work, when there is a consequence associated with it, We don't leave unless XXXX check in, XXX from Cabins XXX  will be denied cruising...ect.......

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

So you can use RFID on those ships.  Doesn't help the others. 

I should have done a separate post and quoted the poster I was referring to.  The one who said the RFID chip was in the WOW bands and not the seapass cards, which is incorrect.  It's in both on ships with that technology.  It's why they tell you to not punch a hole in those cards because you can damage the antenna and the chip.  On ships that don't use RFID, you can punch a hole because there's nothing to damage.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

I don't know why the beer tastes better today. It could be the beautiful day. It could be watching a bunch of folks go on and on creating a solution in search of a problem. 

No telling. 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Why would they need the approval of the CG? It’s not changing the muster drill at all. They’re only changing when they give out the sea pass cards.

What I meant was that since muster is a CG requirement, perhaps the initial change from direct participation at the muster stations to the app driven approach would require their approval to go to that format - and that how they confirm a passengers participation would be part of that overall process.  Not that specifically how they would issue the SeaPass card would require their approval.  All just part of a speculative comment as to why the one poster's suggestion was not in place with the cruise line.

22 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

And BTW it is the WOW bands - at separate purchase for non-suite guests and issued to suite guests - that have the RFID chip, not the SeaPass cards, and are intended to use in place of the SeaPass cards.  (Unless that is a very recent addition). 

Some ships have RFID chips in the SeaPass cards.

This was discovered by some people when they punched a hole in their card for a lanyard and damaged the RFID chip or antenna and the cards stopped working.  You have to punch them in a specific location.

2 minutes ago, SRF said:

Some ships have RFID chips in the SeaPass cards.

This was discovered by some people when they punched a hole in their card for a lanyard and damaged the RFID chip or antenna and the cards stopped working.  You have to punch them in a specific location.

Yeah I am hearing that as well.  I guess it is on ships that also offer the WOW bands as they are RFID capable.  Keep reading and learning!

I just think the issue is communication by Royal. If you are not on CC or FB, how do you really know you are supposed to do this.  Our first cruise my wife had no idea what I was talking about when I said let's do the drill on the app.  Maybe at check in they should make sure they tell people that it has to be done and how to do it.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

We complete the e-muster before our cabin is available, so before we have access to our sea passes (we only have our set sail pass in hand).  Waiting until after cabins are available pushes the e-muster into a much shorter timeframe; it may reduce compliance rather than increase it.

No need to push muster back, they can give you the sticker to put on your card when you get it.  This is what they do if you purchase a beverage package before getting your sea pass card. 

3 minutes ago, akcruz said:

No need to push muster back, they can give you the sticker to put on your card when you get it.  This is what they do if you purchase a beverage package before getting your sea pass card. 

The sticker idea certainly would work for many people, but not everybody uses their card on the first day (other than to get into their room).

14 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

The sticker idea certainly would work for many people, but not everybody uses their card on the first day (other than to get into their room).

100% agree which I said in original post.  Responding to a comment about not having a card to put a sticker on.  

There is no solution that hits all, need to get to as many as possible so we can keep the e muster and not have to go to the old cattle call that shut everything down.

Edited by akcruz
  • Like 2

Since you cannot hear the announcements in the cabins, even those do not get everyone.

About the only way to make everyone do it, is to have the system to not allow access to the cabin until the muster visit has been done.

On 3/24/2022 at 9:35 AM, Seville2Cabo said:

I just think the issue is communication by Royal. If you are not on CC or FB, how do you really know you are supposed to do this.  Our first cruise my wife had no idea what I was talking about when I said let's do the drill on the app.  Maybe at check in they should make sure they tell people that it has to be done and how to do it.  

So by having them pick up their room keys at the muster station it also solves the above concern.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 9:35 AM, Seville2Cabo said:

when you book your cruise, you get an email that gives you a link to the cruise countdown.  Once you click on link, your reservation pops up.  You will see a suggestion to download the royal app on android or apple.  Then the app has the safety briefing.  I think Royal is pretty clear about this.  I didn't need social media or cruisecritic.com to figure this one.  I simply read my email and went from there as did my husband who is on neither.

Screenshot_20220325-102746_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220325-102622_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220325-102928_Royal.jpg

4 hours ago, jean87510 said:

when you book your cruise, you get an email that gives you a link to the cruise countdown.  Once you click on link, your reservation pops up.  ...

I guess only when you book directly. The only emails I got were from my travel agent but no cruise countdown.

So this would not work for everyone.

• Like 2

Again: There's no obvious and 100% viable solution for this, but let us to learn something from the airline industry. When you enter a plane you'll enjoy the safety video while your plane remain "docked" to the air bridge, or at least this is how they do it here in Europe, so, why not just to play the safety video consecutively on the terminal's screens and have an announcement to be made at the port for you to go to your muster station from a certain time to sometime before sail away. Me thinks that should at least to help. The above mentioned green sticker on your cruise card would as well. Otherwise... A fine to the ones not complying in due time must to be ultimate measure because some folks will only to "learn their lesson" once the powers that be go on their pockets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckruetze said:

I guess only when you book directly. The only emails I got were from my travel agent but no cruise countdown.

So this would not work for everyone.

I dont use TA but don't they send you anything that would relate to the cruise planner?  Because how do you choose excursions or compare drink packages?  No criticism.  Im just curious because at one point you have to go online for the cruise planner, correct?

34 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I dont use TA but don't they send you anything that would relate to the cruise planner?  Because how do you choose excursions or compare drink packages?  No criticism.  Im just curious because at one point you have to go online for the cruise planner, correct?

Yes, the cruise shows up online in the cruise planer or you have to manually add it with the details the travel agent gave you.

1 hour ago, Nunagoras said:

Again: There's no obvious and 100% viable solution for this, but let us to learn something from the airline industry. When you enter a plane you'll enjoy the safety video while your plane remain "docked" to the air bridge, or at least this is how they do it here in Europe, so, why not just to play the safety video consecutively on the terminal's screens and have an announcement to be made at the port for you to go to your muster station from a certain time to sometime before sail away. Me thinks that should at least to help. The above mentioned green sticker on your cruise card would as well. Otherwise... A fine to the ones not complying in due time must to be ultimate measure because some folks will only to "learn their lesson" once the powers that be go on their pockets.

Most of the time on flights in the US, they're still doing the safety briefing while taxiing to the runway.  As for constantly showing the video on the terminal screens, really?  It's kind of like the Captain's noon announcements.  Some people can't be bothered to shut up for 3 minutes to hear what he has to say and then are completely surprised by the fact the ship runs into high seas or rain the next day. What they're doing works fine.  In the past, if you didn't show up for the drill, they made you come to a group one the next day.  How is this any different?  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ckruetze said:

Yes, the cruise shows up online in the cruise planer or you have to manually add it with the details the travel agent gave you.

You need to add your cruise on the website or app.  All you need is your reservation info, such as last name, date of cruise, ship name and reservation #.  I can't imagine that there are many people cruising today who wouldn't realize that EVERY  travel company has a website where you can manage/look at your reservation.  Our TA sends us the invoice which has everything on it.

On 3/22/2022 at 5:32 AM, molly361 said:

They should have the E Muster folks ready as soon as you board.  On the past 3 cruises I have been on I have boarded before noon and tried to visit the muster station on my way into the ship.  All three times  I was told to come back around 12 - 12:30pm

This is what I say. Watch the video in the terminal and then immediately upon boarding report to your station. Too many get distracted or drunk before sail away, LOL

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

You don't need a "countdown email" to be able to access the Cruise Planner. 

And I get marketing emails almost daily from Royal advertising drink packages, excursions, etc., even though I book with a Travel Agent.