The Daily for Thursday 03/24/2022

richwmn

Good Morning from a warm and ove4rcast day at the beach

THe weather has been crazy lately. Not like what some of you are going thru but different for us. Suppose to have heavy storms moving in this afternoon. We cancelled our tee time, didnt want to but the others didnt want to take the chance.

Love a good cheesesteak and only like certain chocolate covered raisins. Although they are a favorite of my DD, along with nonpariels.

Have not been to todays port. Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for the great pictures!

@kazu Glad to read that you are making progress, even though it is a small.

Remember to take care of yourself also.

Prayers for everyone on this wonderful caring thread. It makes my day.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

It was a beautiful city so even the bus ride to our stops was enjoyable.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK3apBwy-aokcj0byvAm-YU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503937552

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIGddhL0SjJdBsQjOfWW3bf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503937544

Don't you just love Spain?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJbokrIiyPoDdYBba2TyKw7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503937560

Here we are arriving at the circle shaped Castell de Bellver00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIz39RuQ3-joHJsT3z4z65I?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503937575

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLLWK3iLHXGRf-7RT49r36d?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503937600

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK7R2S2gBVHbCx2EgvqIs8v?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503937610

The center of the castle is open to the sky and is now used for special events and concerts, however at one point it was actually a prison.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIU6Jki2V2S32zJGC2Y_QiB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503937627

But just look at these views!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIOrTQUZMwnh1jHdhnw4kbm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503937645

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIsR1N1Bkjzf0L3VlYClPy3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503937661

A closer look at the Westerdam00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJPVenMcZ7hYcHI3GdwVYhh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503937810

Turn around and you had this view00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKqJQnl2HOBT3G0PYulqA60?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503937824

Inside was a museum, and many statues on display.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLw_t8GunVsXRdAtWg3YOiK?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503937834

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJr76xD6-BlfbVKJgQaHeHi?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503937848

Then we left and enjoyed a short ride to a local bullring.  A stunning city!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJeLV1anhYCgN511DcT-_wX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503937896

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJJ1Ge0QPFuWdqcvco6hFkq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503937914

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK51i7UZkLwKH1JJBHVJn0g?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503938005

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJVUvyHatVqmy67HItb72R7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503938002

No bulls in the ring today!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJulpdy-zXfBkM_-uwLr9wS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503937960

Across the street was a mallorca pearl factory which I only briefly looked at.  I spent more time at the bullring looking around.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJIix7mmLAZxFBSl-cTnTyw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503937940

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJv_PDuLoUtbYlm211QUCVH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503937955

Tour over and back to the ship for some air conditioning and a delicious lunch. 

Excellent photos Sandi.

I have been going to Spain for 53 years and always love it.

The mainland of Spain, Balearic Islands or Canary Islands are all wonderful.

Graham.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks for the update.

I have been to Mallorca at least twice on crossings. I remember visiting a winery and going up into the mountains to stop at the Douglass family museum.

Thanks everyone for the prayers and thoughts on the  passing of Socks💔😢

It was strange not hearing him meowing this morning as he was the alarm clock of the family.

Blessings and prayers to all on lists ❤️🙏

• Like 20
  • Thanks 8

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  I hope @JazzyV escaped with no severe weather.  I think it's contrarian day for me as I don't drink, prefer my chocolate and raisins separately, and will pass on both the cheesesteak and chicken pita salad.  I've been to Mallorca twice but not since 2010.  I do like the Woody Allen quote.  My alternative menu suggestion is  Honey Pineapple, Rack of Lamb, and Black Forest Cake as served on MS Zaandam March 24, 2017:

dishes24.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP  Kakalina 3/18/22
RIP  PA Troopers Branden T Sisca and Martin F Mack
RIP Madeline Albright

Strength for Jacqui as she searches for a suitable facility for Jose
Marely’s continuing decline
Socks over Rainbow Bridge
Tana with rough nights
Cruzin Terri blood work
Rosby DH in hospital
Buddy still having trouble getting food down despite slow improvement
From the rotation:
Hartgrove older sister with aggressive cancer
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
HAL Sailor DH and Kazu DH Jose no longer able to cruise
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Noordam in Everglades
Noordam in service April rather than May
5 BHB with passengers
7 days for Crazy for Cats (Eurodam 3/30 to 4/10)
2 days for Vict0riann(4/9) , Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam 3/27-4/10)
DeeniEncinitas  (Ruby Princess to 3/27),  Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3),Aliaschief and Dwaliaschief (Rotterdam to 4/3),   Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS to 4/3), Overhead Fred, sassy-one, and sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to 4/6),  at sea
A new Camila photo
Cellist  Denys Karachevtsev
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for the lists Roy.

• Like 9

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Haven't had either a cheesesteak or chocolate covered raisins in a long time, and most days I think we all could use a good cocktail.  Like @0106, we discovered Aperol Spritzes a few years ago when we were in Spain pre-cruise and that's been our go-to summer cocktail because it's so refreshing.

We've been to today's port a few times on our trans-Atlantic cruises, the last time we didn't take a tour, we walked to the Hard Rock Cafe for our requisite beer in every port and so DH could get another t-shirt from there.  

Not too much happening here today; DH will have a telephone visit with the cardiologist at 4 this afternoon - hopefully we'll find out what the next step is for him.  He still doesn't have the stamina he's used to, and gets angina with just mild exertion.  I know his dad suffered from chronic angina during the last 5 years of his life, so maybe it's genetic, who knows?

I had quite a surprise when I went in to get my nails done yesterday.  When I walked into the salon, the only person I recognized was the owner.  I looked at her strangely and she summoned me over to her station - I asked her who these new technicians were and where were the others who had been there for the past number of years.  She had fired them all!   Apparently one of them was cooking the books, while the rest of them were participating in daily theft from the salon.  She had suspected something was wrong when the monthly accounts didn't add up, and had started keeping a very close eye on what was happening with each one's appointments.  The sad thing is that a number of women working there were relatives of her husband, so you know what that does to family dynamics . . .

@smitty34877 oh my gosh, what a beautiful photo of Miss Camilla you posted yesterday!  She looks so mature - and big, too!  I bet she's a delight to be around.

@RowsbyI'm sorry to hear your DH is unwell; I am sending my prayers and wishes for the best possible outcome for him, and for you as well.

@marshhawk I make a lot of comfort food; it's easy and DH loves it.  That's why I'm not a svelte size 6.  LOL   And believe me, you'd be welcome at our table any time, not needing to bring anything except yourself.

I like today's menu suggestion, and may tuck the recipe away for use on a hot summer day when we can enjoy it on our deck.  I like the idea of cheesesteak for dinner, and know that there's a couple of small steaks in the freezer, so will partially defrost them and it's looking like cheesesteaks, air fryer fries and coleslaw will be on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Ukraine and all who are providing aid to them.   Every time I see that another oligarch's superyacht has been confiscated, I cheer loudly.  The madness must stop!   We'll raise our glasses together tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, wear your masks when you need to, get your boosters, wash your hands, and be well.  

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂
Gerry

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Love Philly cheesesteaks.  Anything chocolate is good for me.  Will make a cocktail for dinner tonight.  I really laughed out loud at the quote.

Have not been to today's destination.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Please continue to stay safe and wear your mask.

Strawberry Crush:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Hornitos® Plata Tequila
1/2 part DeKuyper® Pucker® Strawberry Schnapps
3/4 part Simple Syrup
3/4 part Fresh Lemon Juice
Garnish: Strawberries

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in an ice-filled shaker and shake until well chilled. Strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice. Garnish with a lemon peel or wheel and fresh strawberries.

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 9.39.30 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

42 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Forgive my ignorance, but how did the Daily get started?

Rich @richwmnhad taken over the fleet report (which used to report where the ships were).  with covid and no ships sailing, he evolved it making it a great place for many of us to come for the past 2+ years.

He still shows the locations but when he saw what people were talking about, he added and improved the Daily.  He’s done a fantastic job and I am very grateful to his dedication to this thread.

53 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@kazuJacqui I'm so happy to hear you've made another step up getting on the wait list for Jose.  I hope it's not long before he can be placed in his new home.  Is it far from you?  We're all praying for you!🙏

Thanks.  The 2 nursing homes I chose are the best according to doctors and people I know who have had relatives there.  They are both in my area. My #1 choice is a bit further away but only 10 minutes.  A huge improvement over 1.5 hours to the hospital (between travel time & the time it takes lined up, screened and allowed in to the unit)

The wait is long, but I’m hoping down the road to improve the odds.  Time will tell.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 8

15 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good morning and thanks for the update.

I have been to Mallorca at least twice on crossings. I remember visiting a winery and going up into the mountains to stop at the Douglass family museum.

Thanks everyone for the prayers and thoughts on the  passing of Socks💔😢

It was strange not hearing him meowing this morning as he was the alarm clock of the family.

Blessings and prayers to all on lists ❤️🙏

Sending you our prayers 🙏 for Socks.

I'm so sorry to hear of his passing.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211125_085547.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

@StLouisCruisers 

Sandi,thank you for the great pictures and commentary  as well as the remarks about  Camilla.She  is a joy to us all and has remarkably long legs. Her grandmother,my niece told me she weighs  12 pounds now! @erewhon had asked about her weight yesterday  and I just realized I never replied.

@dfish,Debbie, we are trying recipe  #1.Thank you for the Daily ideas and your prayers for our family.

@kazu,I too am glad to hear you are one step closer in the long process for Jose.I hope the Vet can help Marley today.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone

I have a rare quiet morning today as DH has gone to  cardiac rehab by himself. I'm taking the opportunity to do a little cleaning around the house without interruptions. It is a nice sunny day here today and the wind seems to have dropped. For the last 3 weeks it's been extremely windy here at the beach.

It's somewhat concerning to hear reports of recent covid cases hopefully symptoms will be minor and we can continue to resume our progress to normalcy.

Prayers and celebrations for those on the lists.

• Like 25

I am thinking that my plan for today is to start with a cocktail, then enjoy a Phili Cheesesteak sandwich, followed up with a small bag of chocolate covered raisins for dessert, and then probably end up with another cocktail.  It isn't often I get this excited for the various days anymore.  LOL

• Like 17
  • Haha 13

Good Morning All,

And thanks again for the Daily.

We have a cool morning that is supposed to warm up. Yesterday we hit the high 80s. I had gone on a tour to San Diego for the day, and it was lovely there. The tour was of The Del (Hotel Del Coronado) and it was lovely. I’m a So Cal native and there’s many places I have yet to visit.  And I got a few ideas of what to further explore with DH next weekend when we go to San Diego to catch Zuidie. We have a late embarkation.

Have a great day everyone!

BFA3DA6B-94E3-4ACA-A85F-0074C70E5825.jpeg

84FBBA82-C04A-4F22-8184-AED44A3CFAD5.jpeg

40458340-8EFB-492E-B4B5-6318B11F45B2.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the care lists.

Philly cheesesteaks are wonderful. I've tried the origial version and many other versions as well - they are all good.

They are forecasting some rain today. We really need it here. 

Stay safe evereyone.

• Like 23

Good morning, all!

I would like to have your weather @grapau27as it’s 37 F and raining, about as gloomy as anything.

I must admit to reading cheesecake day at first and I do adore cheesecake. But a cheesesteak is okay too. I love anything covered in chocolate, but don’t do the raisins very often. I love a nice cocktail when out to dinner. 

Today’s dish sounds good, drink and wine are okay. Have never been to Spain 😢. The quote is probably true for a lot of us.

Been practicing the 4-7-8 breathing this am. A little tired today because I went out last night. Getting dressed and getting to the destination is harder all the time. But my church had a Lenten event called Meal, Message and Music which was worth it. Catered dinner, a short meditation by a friend who is a fellow layspeaker followed by music from a quartet called the Rivertown Sounds. Nothing more beautiful than “Amazing Grace” in gorgeous four part harmony. I will do the whole thing again next Wednesday as the lay speaker is me! I will also be preaching this Sunday at our local retirement home. Combined with my visit tomorrow for my screening for my drug trial, no wonder I am feeling a tad anxious this morning.

Lots of prayers going up this morning. My pastors mom has just been put on hospice. Although she and I had never met in person (she lives in Springfield MO) we have both been doing online church and chatting on Sundays so I feel like I know her. Hospice is a wonderful thing. Both my mom and my sister-in-law were cared for by those wonderful people. So prayers for all in need, especially the people of Ukraine 🙏. And a toast to the celebrations that make life so special 🍷.

Take care, everyone!

St Louis Sal

• Like 31

1 minute ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Nothing more beautiful than “Amazing Grace” in gorgeous four part harmony.

I sailed many times on the old Windjammer cruise line.  They always played it when they raised the sails, used to bring a tear to my eye.  Also love it on the bagpipes.  

• Like 27

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is National Cheesesteak Day, National Chocolate Covered Raisin Day, and National Coctail Day

I'm not afraid of death; I just don't want to be there when it happens.--Woody Allen

Meal Suggestion for today - chicken pita salad
Drink of the Day - Strawberry Crush
Wine of the Day - St. Amant 2019 Mohr-Fry Ranch Old Vine Zinfandel (
Destination of the Day - Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination Half Moon Cay eta 3/25

At Sea Pacific

Zuiderdam   Destination Hiva OA eta 3/25

Oranjestad, Aruba Island, Dutch Antilles

Rotterdam  

San Francisco, California

Koningsdam   00:00 - 16:00

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands

Nieuw Statendam   08:00 - 17:00

Willemstad, Curacao Island, Dutch Antilles

Eurodam   08:00 - 16:00

Ships Without Passengers

Cadiz SP

Zaandam   Shipyard

Limassol, CY

Oosterdam   Operations off shore

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

Malaga SP

Volendam   Anchorage

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale, FL US

Noordam  

0324World.thumb.png.d4f95519a468f7a37a3821a6fde96389.png

was never  a  fan  of  Woody.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all.  I think that actually, today is deja vu day - I'm sure we've had chocolate-covered raisins (my favourite!) before and also, Palma, a lovely port.    Prayers going out for those who need them, especially @Rowsby DH today, also Jacqui and José,  and Tana,  and cheers to those celebrating.  I'm happy to be one of those on the Celebrations list - but things can get very confusing nowadays.  (1) The HAL website says you can test within 3 days of sailing if fully vaccinated. The email that came this morning says 2 days, and the new VeriFLY app they want us to use to board more expeditiously says 48 hours.  Sort that one out!  We have appointments to test about 50 hours before boarding, inside the 2 day limit, so I think we will not be using  the new app.  (2) Got my confirmation of OBC for share ownership for one cruise, but not the other.  Will have to check on that.  (3) Tony (sailingdutchy) said on NS he is not getting the 5 star discount at Nami Sushi, we've always got that before,  we will definitely be checking that one out!  (4) We have a letter on HAL stationery to say we are allowed to disembark in Victoria, but others on the roll call, and a neighbour who is on the cruise, have said they were told it will not be possible.... (5) Itinerary changes happening!  On the second cruise, no more Catalina, Astoria instead, and a change of days in SF.  

Oh, well, we'll soon be on a ship, no problems about that.😀

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

@Vict0riann, you've now given me something additional to check on -- within the last hour we completed (with the anticipated "failure") our proctored Covid tests.  I'm going to be most aggravated if we have to do it again tomorrow, but at least I'm prepared with spare boxes.  

Thank you all for making The Daily all the news that's fit to read!

• Like 20

Good morning all!

It's starting to feel like spring here.  The days are slowly warming up, inching towards highs near 60 F.  I think my Sweet Pea seedlings are ready to transplant outside, so that's what I'll be doing today. 

I'm surprised that I've never had Cheesesteak, it looks good.  Chocolate covered raisins are probably my least favorite way of eating chocolate.  I'd rather have chocolate covered nuts or better yet, plain solid chocolate. 😉  I'm more of a wine gal, but some cocktails are good.  I thought the quote was funny, will pass on the red wine and have never been to this port.  The drink looks good, and the meal looks very, very good.  I printed out the last one and am thinking of serving it for a family dinner coming up.

@RowsbyI'm sorry to hear that your DH has been in the hospital.  Sending prayers for you both.

@kazugood to hear about the step forward in getting Jose on a wait list for a home.

@dfishyour experience about being told you were a no-show for your phone appointment reminded me of when that happened to DH with the VA.  He had been sitting by the phone too.  How do they manage to mess things up so much?!  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, all.  I think that actually, today is deja vu day - I'm sure we've had chocolate-covered raisins (my favourite!) before and also, Palma, a lovely port.    Prayers going out for those who need them, especially @Rowsby DH today, also Jacqui and José,  and Tana,  and cheers to those celebrating.  I'm happy to be one of those on the Celebrations list - but things can get very confusing nowadays.  (1) The HAL website says you can test within 3 days of sailing if fully vaccinated. The email that came this morning says 2 days, and the new VeriFLY app they want us to use to board more expeditiously says 48 hours.  Sort that one out!  We have appointments to test about 50 hours before boarding, inside the 2 day limit, so I think we will not be using  the new app.  (2) Got my confirmation of OBC for share ownership for one cruise, but not the other.  Will have to check on that.  (3) Tony (sailingdutchy) said on NS he is not getting the 5 star discount at Nami Sushi, we've always got that before,  we will definitely be checking that one out!  (4) We have a letter on HAL stationery to say we are allowed to disembark in Victoria, but others on the roll call, and a neighbour who is on the cruise, have said they were told it will not be possible.... (5) Itinerary changes happening!  On the second cruise, no more Catalina, Astoria instead, and a change of days in SF.  

Oh, well, we'll soon be on a ship, no problems about that.😀

We were on the Rotterdam for 15 days in February. We did not get a 5 star discount at Nami Sushi and questioned it. After talking with several people, we were shown the benefits chart and it does not list Nami Sushi. And there was no budging anyone off this. But, it is very good and the prices are actually quite reasonable compared to land based in our opinion. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3