LIVE from Discovery Princess - March 27th, 2022 - 7 Day Mexican Riviera Inaugural Sailing

scottsdalelove

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic"

scottsdalelove was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Reviews, Daily live updates, pictures, and videos from Discovery Princess’s March 27th, 2022 Inaugural Sailing.

• Like 10

So we promised in the Discovery Princess Roll Call that Christy and I would be posting live updates daily on the cruise, reviews, photos, and videos…so here it is!!

It is 9pm, the Saturday Night before the cruise, and I am writing this from our Balcony at the Double Tree San Pedro while enjoying the view of Discovery Princess. Discovery Princess (DP) is berthed at the seldom used Berth 50 which is across the marina from the Doubletree. If you don’t know where Berth 50 is (almost no one did) search for the “SS Lane Victory” and you will find it. Lane Victory is a WW II era cargo vessel at the end of Miner street in San Pedro. It was moved a couple hundred feet down the way to give a place for DP to be berthed for all of her spring 2022 voyages (until she repositions for Alaska this summer). There wasn’t room for DP at the traditional cruise terminal due to her length and also due to the fact that too many cruise ships are berthed in LA compared to previous seasons. 

The port has released plans about possible expansion to add more capacity for more cruise ships in the area where DP currently is but that is a long way out. Until then, Princess has sent messages to us all directing us to park or get dropped off at the old berth 93 (the terminal featured in the Love Boat TV show) with your luggage. There you will check in and luggage will be drop off and then shuttles will take everyone down to Berth 50 for boarding. There will be special arrangements for anyone with mobility issues per the statement they sent us all. They say do NOT go directly to the ship yourself as there are no facilities to house you or check you in. Just a security tent to scan carry on bags as you get off the bus and then you walk up a ramp onto the boat similar to when you are in port on a pier.

The Double Tree San Pedro is a little older but it is nice hotel in an otherwise residential area with little to do for out of town visitors in the immediate area. When you book on the hotel website you can choose a rate with a park and shuttle option available so you can leave your car here for the week while on the cruise and be shuttled to the pier and back. I’ve been told there are limited “spaces” each week for this and I’m not sure if you can get it ala cart if you book without so call the hotel to see if you are interested. 

There is also a restaurant in the lobby with interior and exterior dining. They are open for breakfast lunch and dinner and have a bar. Hours were 6am-10pm in the restaurant for breakfast lunch and dinner with views of the marina (and DP!!). Breakfast and dinner entrees are around $20 each +/- and the service was good enough. 

After dinner we took a ride down to Miner St and took the video below of the ship. Beautiful ship!!! We will try to post everything timely as I know people are curious/interested! Bon Voyage to my fellow passengers!!! See you all aboard in 12 hours!!!! 

Joseph and Christy

Scottsdale, AZ

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

19 minutes ago, scottsdalelove said:

IMG_1230.MOV 128.99 MB · 1 download  

So we promised in the Discovery Princess Roll Call that Christy and I would be posting live updates daily on the cruise, reviews, photos, and videos…so here it is!!

It is 9pm, the Saturday Night before the cruise, and I am writing this from our Balcony at the Double Tree San Pedro while enjoying the view of Discovery Princess. Discovery Princess (DP) is berthed at the seldom used Berth 50 which is across the marina from the Doubletree. If you don’t know where Berth 50 is (almost no one did) search for the “SS Lane Victory” and you will find it. Lane Victory is a WW II era cargo vessel at the end of Miner street in San Pedro. It was moved a couple hundred feet down the way to give a place for DP to be berthed for all of her spring 2022 voyages (until she repositions for Alaska this summer). There wasn’t room for DP at the traditional cruise terminal due to her length and also due to the fact that too many cruise ships are berthed in LA compared to previous seasons. 

The port has released plans about possible expansion to add more capacity for more cruise ships in the area where DP currently is but that is a long way out. Until then, Princess has sent messages to us all directing us to park or get dropped off at the old berth 93 (the terminal featured in the Love Boat TV show) with your luggage. There you will check in and luggage will be drop off and then shuttles will take everyone down to Berth 50 for boarding. There will be special arrangements for anyone with mobility issues per the statement they sent us all. They say do NOT go directly to the ship yourself as there are no facilities to house you or check you in. Just a security tent to scan carry on bags as you get off the bus and then you walk up a ramp onto the boat similar to when you are in port on a pier.

The Double Tree San Pedro is a little older but it is nice hotel in an otherwise residential area with little to do for out of town visitors in the immediate area. When you book on the hotel website you can choose a rate with a park and shuttle option available so you can leave your car here for the week while on the cruise and be shuttled to the pier and back. I’ve been told there are limited “spaces” each week for this and I’m not sure if you can get it ala cart if you book without so call the hotel to see if you are interested. 

There is also a restaurant in the lobby with interior and exterior dining. They are open for breakfast lunch and dinner and have a bar. Hours were 6am-10pm in the restaurant for breakfast lunch and dinner with views of the marina (and DP!!). Breakfast and dinner entrees are around $20 each +/- and the service was good enough. 

After dinner we took a ride down to Miner St and took the video below of the ship. Beautiful ship!!! We will try to post everything timely as I know people are curious/interested! Bon Voyage to my fellow passengers!!! See you all aboard in 12 hours!!!! 

Joseph and Christy

Scottsdale, AZ

Actually, Discovery moves to Berth 92 for her last two voyages in April. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Actually, Discovery moves to Berth 92 for her last two voyages in April. 

I didn’t see that last time I checked and of course you are right now. Unfortunately it won’t let me exit my original post or even delete it so I can repost. Oh well.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting.......I am sailing on the next cruise (4/3/22) and have appreciated all of the info that has been posted.  If you could, please post the evening dinner menu (MDR) each day so that I plan on which nights we want to eat at a specialty restaurant.         thanks again

• Like 2

7 hours ago, scottsdalelove said:

Thanks for starting this Live from Discovery & hopefully all of us who are boarding this inaugural cruise today will have as smooth of a boarding process as possible with this non-standard procedure.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 5

Hello from Scottsdale AZ!  Thank you for doing this live from and also for confirming that the Doubletree still has rates that include parking.  Someone on FB had said that they no longer are doing this and that they charge $15 a day.  Looking forward to reading about your experiences on the shiny new ship.  Enjoy your cruise!

12 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Hello from Scottsdale AZ!  Thank you for doing this live from and also for confirming that the Doubletree still has rates that include parking.  Someone on FB had said that they no longer are doing this and that they charge $15 a day.  Looking forward to reading about your experiences on the shiny new ship.  Enjoy your cruise!

Good morning! It isn’t automatically included. You have to go directly to their website to book and when you do you click on “offers” on the top (I’ll post the link below) and select the park and go rate.

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/lgbspdt-doubletree-san-pedro-port-of-los-angeles/offers/

One more thing… when you check in make sure you claim your slot on the shuttle with the front desk.

Joseph and Christy

Scottsdale, AZ

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks for starting this Live from Discovery & hopefully all of us who are boarding this inaugural cruise today will have as smooth of a boarding process as possible with this non-standard procedure.

I personally am ignoring all the thoughts of possible chaos that could occur (lol) and am focusing on just getting on board!!! I do feel bad though as I know there are a lot of people who are legitimately nervous and freaking out (like my sister who is sailing also on this cruise). But I have faith that at 4pm today, we will all be on board and sailing away.

See you Aboard!!

Joseph and Christy

Scottsdale, AZ

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, scottsdalelove said:

One more thing… when you check in make sure you claim your slot on the shuttle with the front desk.

What time does the shuttle start running from the Doubletree? 

13 minutes ago, scottsdalelove said:

Good morning! It isn’t automatically included. You have to go directly to their website to book and when you do you click on “offers” on the top (I’ll post the link below) and select the park and go rate.

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/lgbspdt-doubletree-san-pedro-port-of-los-angeles/offers/

Joseph and Christy

Scottsdale, AZ

That's exactly the way it used to be so thank you for confirming!

Just booked the April 10 cruise & I'll be reading this thread in rapt attention. My last 6 cruises have been with Viking Ocean but I'm intrigued with this ship & curious to see how Princess is doing in 2022. Because I live in LA I won't have to fly. Design wise there's a few things I'm not keen on(aft infinity pool looks too small & shallow & Retreat pool surrounded by cabins, blocking any sea views). I'll be going with an open mind. Mostly I think Princess does a great job in their price point.

Edited by Myrtle Ave. Mayhem

We arrived at B93 at 0950; dropped off luggage with porters; inside showed vax & test & got wristband; upstairs to check-in (Medallion & passports); in Elite lounge (bottled water) at 1005. Smooth process & waiting for shuttles to begin.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5