Passport expires five months after end of cruise, is this a problem?

Mark_K

When filling out the check in, it said strongly recommends six months after, but didn’t say required.  Then I noticed under travel documents it said must be valid for six months after.

if it makes a difference, it’s a Panama Canal cruise stopping in Columbia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Mexico.

My understanding is that it is Not required. It is good policy because you might get sick (or injured) in another country, and then you might not be able to come home (with an expired passport).

Is this a closed loop cruise (I.e., starting and ending in the U.S.)?

11 minutes ago, DingoMom said:

My understanding is that it is Not required. It is good policy because you might get sick (or injured) in another country, and then you might not be able to come home (with an expired passport).

Not closed loop, but it does begin and end in the US.  Fort Lauderdale-San Diego.

Many countries require the 6 months, in my experience. 

Is there time to get it renewed before you go? Even if you have to pay for expedited service, it may be worth it tin the long run, for the peace of mind. You will likely not feel the expedite fee over the course of the ten years your new passport will be valid.

Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

Here is a list of countries that require a 6-month Passport validity:

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/countries-that-require-six-months-validity-in-a-passport.html 

Guatemala is on it. But not sure if this is required if you fly in and stay, or if a one-day cruise call is also part of the required. Check with your TA or whatever, but this is what is on the internet…which is, as we all know, always correct!

den

2 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Here is a list of countries that require a 6-month Passport validity:

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/countries-that-require-six-months-validity-in-a-passport.html 

Guatemala is on it. But not sure if this is required if you fly in and stay, or if a one-day cruise call is also part of the required. Check with your TA or whatever, but this is what is on the internet…which is, as we all know, always correct!

den

That would be for entering the country through customs which you do not do on a port stop.

21 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Many countries require the 6 months, in my experience. 

Is there time to get it renewed before you go? Even if you have to pay for expedited service, it may be worth it tin the long run, for the peace of mind. You will likely not feel the expedite fee over the course of the ten years your new passport will be valid.

Best of luck to you!

I recently got my US Passport renewed using the mail-in expedited service.  I had the new passport in less than 3 weeks.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

When filling out the check in, it said strongly recommends six months after, but didn’t say required.  Then I noticed under travel documents it said must be valid for six months after.

if it makes a difference, it’s a Panama Canal cruise stopping in Columbia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Mexico.

It could be an issue if an emergency arises mid-cruise and you need to fly home.

55 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

It may matter to the countries you are visiting.  I believe Costa Rica and Colombia require at least 6 months remaining on your passport but check with Celebrity for sure!

1 hour ago, Mark_K said:

Best to follow US Govt Policies, go to the website, take the time to do your diligence officially, you’ll get multiple different answers here on CC.  Take no chances.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DingoMom said:

Closed loop means starting and ending IN THE SAME CITY, not just starting and ending in the U.S

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

It could be an issue if an emergency arises mid-cruise and you need to fly home.

Why? Who would make it an issue? Do you think the country you were in wouldn’t let you leave? Certainly its not an issue once you arrive back in the US.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Best to follow US Govt Policies, go to the website, take the time to do your diligence officially, you’ll get multiple different answers here on CC.  Take no chances.

Haha. Just read the thread where you got called out for advocating breaking Celebrity rules on shorts at dinner and here you’re saying “Best to follow US Govt policies. Lol. I get amused easily. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mfs2k said:

Haha. Just read the thread where you got called out for advocating breaking Celebrity rules on shorts at dinner and here you’re saying “Best to follow US Govt policies. Lol. I get amused easily. 

I’d rather be called out for “violating “ celebrity dress code, shorts at dinner, than worrying about passport issues, I may be wrong but I think a bit different.  BTW I’ll still be wearing shorts and my passport will be in the recommended 6 month compliance 🤣

• Thanks 1

FAQs: Travel Documents to Gather & Bring | Celebrity Cruises

Required travel documents for International Sailings

Passport

A valid passport is required for travel. Ensure there are sufficient blank visa pages within the passport for visa stamps. For additional passport information look here

For your protection, we recommend that your passport expiration date not occur within six (6) months of the sailing termination date.

U.S. citizens carrying an Official (maroon cover) passport must also be in possession of a valid Diplomatic or personal (blue or green cover) passport to allow ship embarkation.

In addition to the Passport and Visa requirements indicated on this page, guests are asked to bring with them a second official form of identification in the way of a Passport Card (US), a laminated driver's license or identification card issued by a federal, state, provincial, country, territory or municipal authority.

Depending on your itinerary, the ship may collect your passport to speed up the clearance formalities at each port of call. We suggest you bring with you a few photocopies of your passport's personal page which includes the picture, and that you carry one of these photocopies with you each time you leave the ship.

Edited by gerelmx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Due to stricter border controls in many European countries, the US State Department recommends that American citizens traveling to the countries in the Schengen Area should have a passport with six months of remaining validity. That said, the official requirement is only three months.  Go to the State Department website to get the real and official answer in relation to where you are going.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My husband was needing to get his passport renewed. It took 8 months…finally had to contact our representative in Congress. Was a total zoo. Go with the company that will get it for you. Do not take any chances. We were so frustrated as we could not make any plans. 

8 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

Closed loop means starting and ending IN THE SAME CITY, not just starting and ending in the U.S

Thank you for correcting my mistake…tried to edit my post but couldn’t figure out how!

2 hours ago, DingoMom said:

Thank you for correcting my mistake…tried to edit my post but couldn’t figure out how!

To edit, you need to press the 3 small dots on the top right of your post.

However, this will be locked after 20 minutes.🙈

• Like 1

17 hours ago, blackshirt said:

Why? Who would make it an issue? Do you think the country you were in wouldn’t let you leave? Certainly its not an issue once you arrive back in the US.

All U.S. citizens must show a passport to reenter the country by air.

So, yes, it IS an issue.

Edited by CILCIANRQTS

32 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

All U.S. citizens must show a passport to reenter the country by air.

So, yes, it IS an issue.

Of course the passport is needed to re-enter the US but why would it be an issue if the passport expires in 5 months? It wouldn’t be. Why do you think it would be?