Quickie - if anyone knows - broken bones protocols?

Guest BigRoger

Guest BigRoger

Hi all am reaching out to the collective wisdom….I’m due to cruise in only a couple of weeks but managed to break my arm this last weekend….

Does RC have any particular rules or protocols about pre cruise injuries like this? I still plan to travel if possible!

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Edited by BigRoger

You can board/cruise.    I've seen people in boots, casts and slings.  As long as your Dr has no problem with it...  I dislocated my kneecap and dislocated my ankle and broke my fibula 2.5 years ago about 6 weeks before a b2b cruise and WDW trip.  My Orthopedic Surgeon said No and he was right.  I didn't feel like going at all and due to my injury, surgery, therapy and Covid, we didn't actually go until this past Nov/Dec.  I had a complex injury.  A broken arm in a cast is something I've seen on several cruises.  Cruise line has no issue with it.

• Like 1

Guest BigRoger

Awesome very many thanks to all who replied!

So looking forward to this cruise! Not sure how I’ll look in my tux with it draped over my shoulder on one side and my hand underneath my dress shirt!

Maybe it might be a cool look! Cutting up my steak might be fun too……..

A few years ago, first night on 7 night Brilliance cruise, I broke my foot on uneven section of flooring in the CL.  Had strappy heels on, twisted my foot, went "splat" down to the floor.  In the morning, I got up to stand on it...foot told me "oh...no way"!!  

Down to medical.  Xray time...verdict...Jones fracture.  They casted me up, gave me crutches and a wheel chair to use.  DH wanted to jump ship at next port...I told him "Where else can I go this week where I am waiting on hand and foot?"  😉   No shopping, no cleaning, no cooking...  

Sooo we stayed on, still visited ports, enjoyed some touring.  Then...still with foot in walking cast, and later in walking boot...we kept our next 3 cruises.  Not much keeps this girl down!  😄 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, island lady said:

A few years ago, first night on 7 night Brilliance cruise, I broke my foot on uneven section of flooring in the CL.  Had strappy heels on, twisted my foot, went "splat" down to the floor.  In the morning, I got up to stand on it...foot told me "oh...no way"!!  

Down to medical.  Xray time...verdict...Jones fracture.  They casted me up, gave me crutches and a wheel chair to use.  DH wanted to jump ship at next port...I told him "Where else can I go this week where I am waiting on hand and foot?"  😉   No shopping, no cleaning, no cooking...  

Sooo we stayed on, still visited ports, enjoyed some touring.  Then...still with foot in walking cast, and later in walking boot...we kept our next 3 cruises.  Not much keeps this girl down!  😄 

I always wore a small wedge at most on cruises    I also wore flats more than anything and now, only flats.  After my knee/ankle I probably will never wear heels again.  Heels just aren't a good idea on a ship anyway.   I guess my DH's experience as a Naval Officer made me very aware of what type of shoes are the best to wear on a ship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigRoger said:

Hi all am reaching out to the collective wisdom….I’m due to cruise in only a couple of weeks but managed to break my arm this last weekend….

Does RC have any particular rules or protocols about pre cruise injuries like this? I still plan to travel if possible!

I broke my arm on Tuesday before a Saturday cruise, and asked the same question. No issues.

Room steward got me extra pillows for elevation, and I had no problems getting  my ice pack  filled.

For hand sanitizing, the washy-washy lady would put some on my hand and one of my friends would rub it in for me. The only problem was getting my pants zipped up after using the bathroom 🙂 but there was always some intrepid and kind woman who would help me out. 

Have a great cruise!

3 hours ago, BND said:

I always wore a small wedge at most on cruises    I also wore flats more than anything and now, only flats.  After my knee/ankle I probably will never wear heels again.  Heels just aren't a good idea on a ship anyway.   I guess my DH's experience as a Naval Officer made me very aware of what type of shoes are the best to wear on a ship.

Indeed...my shoes of choice....and have probably 25 pairs of them...good quality flip flops!  😄 

7 hours ago, BigRoger said:

Awesome very many thanks to all who replied!

So looking forward to this cruise! Not sure how I’ll look in my tux with it draped over my shoulder on one side and my hand underneath my dress shirt!

I call that the smoking jacket look, just consider yourself a debonair Clark Gable

• Like 1

Guest BigRoger
12 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

I call that the smoking jacket look, just consider yourself a debonair Clark Gable

Wonderful way to look at it…..

I fractured my wrist before a cruise a couple of years ago and was in a full arm cast.  As others have said, casts and crutches are no problem (except crutches in a crowded elevated, but not relevant here).  Because I wasn't able to do my hair and my DH was zero help, the spa gave me a discount package for the week.  I had a standing appointment to get my hair washed and dried each evening before dinner and dropped in every morning and they put my hair in a ponytail for me.  They were awesome!

• Like 6

On 3/28/2022 at 9:18 AM, BigRoger said:

The waiter had to cut mine. I tipped him well at the end. 

• Like 1

My sister in law broke her wrist at the hotel we stayed at in Fort Lauderdale the night before our cruise. Spent the night at the ER until 4:30 AM and all boarded without issue 7 hours later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beachluver9 said:

I had a standing appointment to get my hair washed and dried each evening before dinner and dropped in every morning and they put my hair in a ponytail for me.  They were awesome!

Brilliant, how kind of them!  

39 minutes ago, fweegy said:

My sister in law broke her wrist at the hotel we stayed at in Fort Lauderdale the night before our cruise. Spent the night at the ER until 4:30 AM and all boarded without issue 7 hours later.

Gamer, I'm impressed !

On 3/28/2022 at 5:43 AM, BigRoger said:

No flow rider for you. 🤙

• Like 1