No independent exploring

silversurf

29 minutes ago, krrgolf said:

Dear all,

I emailed Mr Blanks last night (Sunday) and he replied within 20 minutes which I thought was very impressive.

I followed up this morning with a request to ‘publish’ his reply on CC to help others in the same situation. He provided the following statement for me to use:

”Mr Nigel Blanks, CEO, SAGA Cruises UK confirmed that so long as you can demonstrate that you have had Covid-19 previously (not within the last 14 days) and can support this with either your Covid NHS App or confirmation from your GP, you will be able to travel as long as the LFT is negative.”

This was in response to my email saying:

“Dear Mr Blanks,

One of my biggest concerns is the potential problem for me should my PCR test show a positive result whilst the LFT is negative. I had Covid in February, testing positive on the 7th of February and then negative on the 17th February. I have been negative on LFT since.

According to the NHS website, it is possible that the PCR test may show a positive result due to residual virus in my body for up to 90 days, but clearly no risk to anyone. I asked Terri what would happen in the circumstances as isolation would be wholly inappropriate as I am now Covid infectious free.

She advised that provided I could demonstrate that I had logged the results of my LFT tests with the NHS and had evidence in writing by text or email and showed this to the medical team on board, my PCR test would be treated as a “flawed positive“ and I would not be isolated.

Can you please confirm in writing that this is correct.”

That's great as long as you can prove you have had it. Not so good if you've had it and been asymptomatic and not realised you've had it. 

Dear Krrgolf 

Thank you very much for  doing this, very much appreciated. 

Your statement  will be very useful  for those who tested positive before first April,  and registered it on the NHS app. However for those who were asymptomatic as Glenndale says and in the future for anyone who caught covid post April 1st and not eligible for a test  or not ill enough to go to hospital and be tested

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Glenndale said:

That's great as long as you can prove you have had it. Not so good if you've had it and been asymptomatic and not realised you've had it. 

Agreed but you can’t have everything. 

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Dear Krrgolf 

Thank you very much for  doing this, very much appreciated. 

Your statement  will be very useful  for those who tested positive before first April,  and registered it on the NHS app. However for those who were asymptomatic as Glenndale says and in the future for anyone who caught covid post April 1st and not eligible for a test  or not ill enough to go to hospital and be tested

Most people I know, if they felt unwell in the past had sent for free LFTs and tested to make sure that if they had Covid they knew and protected others from catching it. I didn’t think I had Covid (hadn’t since it first appeared in 2020) and was surprised to see that second line.

My wife has not caught Covid so far (and really hoping to stay clear for the next 2 weeks, then the next 3 weeks) but tests herself every week before seeing her 98 yo mother, symptoms or not. In fact on our last cruise in October, she had the most awful cough and cold and tested every day to be able to tell everyone she was negative - which amazingly she was and remained so. It’s a strange virus…….

• Like 1

One last piece of clarification from me. I asked Mr Blanks to clarify what ‘ok to travel’ meant as I had originally asked about isolation. He confirmed that if you can confirm you had historical Covid as per his previous statement and LFT is negative, you can travel and not be isolated, unless you have been in close contact with a positive LFT person. In this case the 5 day own cabin isolation applies.

Good luck everyone for the next 13 days and three weeks thereafter!

Let’s also hope the independent shore trips come back from 1st May and apply to ships already at sea!

• Like 2

The reply from Mr Blanks,  when I asked him about false positive  in asymptomatic people was prompt and clear.

Saga are taking a better be safe than sorry approach. If you can't prove you've had covid in last 90 days, and your PCR is positive then you will be treated as a new case and  denied boarding. They will not take any risk, even if it means causing disappointment.

My suggestion of daily LFTs was not taken up.

Well cant say I am looking forward to tomorrows cruise with the usual excitement.. The whole thing is a farce

If (as the CEO is saying) the idea is the authorities decide based on a formula of the average age of the pax and the % of cases why has this never been mentioned anywhere before (if we  new this it would actually make Saga a line to avoid - not sail with safely)

secondly - why does he think these rules mysteriously disappear in May - by my calculations the av age of pax goes up after Easter as the 50-65 lvl goes down with some returning to work or part time jobs.

Thirdly whats the point in the ships itinerary from tomorrow still including overnights (for you to enjoy Bordeaux at night on your own??? )

Lastly why am I still being told by agents that my booked trips will still include the free time to explore at the end... How is that different to free to explore on my own?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ighten said:

Well cant say I am looking forward to tomorrows cruise with the usual excitement.. The whole thing is a farce

If (as the CEO is saying) the idea is the authorities decide based on a formula of the average age of the pax and the % of cases why has this never been mentioned anywhere before .

Where did you hear about this formula. I can find no mention of any complicated formula like this. Authorities tend to set simple rules.  The Spanish one is simple   no more than 3.5% passengers and crew or you can't disembark.  No mention of age of passenger. Transmission isn't a function of age. No other cruise line mentions this. But then again they have been allowing independent excursions at ports. 

Are you sure this isn't an insight into Saga thinking.

• Like 1

ighten - just for once, I am not envious of you going on your cruise  tomorrow.  While hopefully it will all turn out to be enjoyable, the  anxieties beforehand and annoyance at the pathetic organisation of the current cruises must be a pain.  I am normally a great fan of Saga, done enough cruises to be a gold member of their club, but at present they need to get their  act together.

Hoping for you and all your fellow cruisers that everything runs smoothly and things turn out better than you fear.

• Like 1

Letter from Nigel B to say 50% refund of cruise price paid within 21 days .

Still having daily lockdown while more are transferred to isolation.

No daily tests.

No problems getting into speciality restaurants or theatre on a very quiet ship.

6 minutes ago, stephenSJ said:

Letter from Nigel B to say 50% refund of cruise price paid within 21 days .

Still having daily lockdown while more are transferred to isolation.

No daily tests.

No problems getting into speciality restaurants or theatre on a very quiet ship.

That sounds fair to me but more importantly are you happy with the outcome? It is certainly better than FCCs. 

5 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Where did you hear about this formula. I can find no mention of any complicated formula like this. Authorities tend to set simple rules.  The Spanish one is simple   no more than 3.5% passengers and crew or you can't disembark.  No mention of age of passenger. Transmission isn't a function of age. No other cruise line mentions this. But then again they have been allowing independent excursions at ports. 

Are you sure this isn't an insight into Saga thinking.

Maybe I mis read one of the earlier quotes - but if it isnt the case it makes it even more baffling as that would mean there are no requirements so why are Saga using them when no one else is.

Anyway on a positive note my inner therapist says put my positive hat on and look forward to tomorrow (I even booked another Saga cruise when the web site started working again - so have three in the list) .. Just hope the driver can find the farm track in the morning.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 9:51 PM, krrgolf said:

I also wrote an email to Nigel Blanks (CEO) and received a personal reply within 30 minutes which for a Saturday was impressive. He said the cessation of independent excursions had not been well received but evidence was showing that Covid numbers on board current Saga cruises were dropping so the plan was working. He reconfirmed that it was the destination ports that dictate the %age Covid maximum cases and they are desperately trying to do all they can to keep pax safe and maintain as good a quality service as they can.

Just remembered where I read the age related issue from -- perhaps Im reading it wrong because age was added to % (just realised it was shorthand)

Still packing -- by the way does the driver normally ring in the evening because if he is using an app map he has no chance of finding us using the postcode.. More Stress 🙂 .. Cant wait to post and say we are onboard

2 hours ago, Truro001 said:

That sounds fair to me but more importantly are you happy with the outcome? It is certainly better than FCCs. 

I think it fair. Not many companies would refund money without putting up a fight.

We are not regular Saga cruisers, our last Saga was on quest for adventure over 10 years ago. That was a rather old rattly ship. We booked this to see the new ships. We have done 6 cruises in the last 6months with different companies and all had much laxer COVID rules than Saga so I feel rather sorry for sagA to have highest standards yet worst results.

There was just one evening after two long lockdowns when there was so many crew isolated that it looked like it would all fall apart but the crew reorganized and fought back and it was saved. Plenty of moaners on the ship giving the crew a hard time ,none of which is deserved. They have all gone above and beyond.

30 minutes ago, ighten said:

Just remembered where I read the age related issue from -- perhaps Im reading it wrong because age was added to % (just realised it was shorthand)

Still packing -- by the way does the driver normally ring in the evening because if he is using an app map he has no chance of finding us using the postcode.. More Stress 🙂 .. Cant wait to post and say we are onboard

Have a good cruise, the premium spirits will help with stress. Keep us posted

7 minutes ago, stephenSJ said:

I think it fair. Not many companies would refund money without putting up a fight.

We have done 6 cruises in the last 6months with different companies and all had much laxer COVID rules than Saga so I feel rather sorry for sagA to have highest standards yet worst results.

Saga have played fair.

As to highest standards and worst outcomes , perhaps  Saga are victims of the the more you test the more you find. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ighten said:

Lol - sorry to have confused you. So easy to read these posts quickly and go ‘off piste’.

To all going on SoA's "St James" cruise today, I wish you all the best.  I feel relieved to have secured a full refund for this cruise, having expressed my concerns to Saga. I knew I'd done the right thing when no independent exporation was later announced. However, I also feel a pang of regret that the private car would have been picking us up in an hour's time. Safe journey everyone. I look forward to hearing your news and hopefully seeing some photos.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Saga have played fair.

As to highest standards and worst outcomes , perhaps  Saga are victims of the the more you test the more you find. 

There has been no testing for last 5days so the daily movement of pax to the isolation areas must be those who are showing severe enough symptoms to present themselves to the medics and not asymptomatic pax caught in ship wide testing.

Covid numbers of reported (tested) infections are dropping and have been for the past 3 weeks or so. This may be simply due to less people doing LFTs because they now have to pay for them, but let’s hope that is not the only reason.

Hopefully this will continue to be the case. 

Expecting luggage labels etc to arrive today - apparently packs were sent out on the 8th according to the Saga ‘chat line’ lady I conversed with yesterday. Assuming they arrive ok, another step completed!

Good to hear from Stephen that testing on board has been less frequent - nothing to do with getting close to the end of the cruise I’m sure! The cynic in me coming out!

I too wish you a good cruise, and hope that one or two people will have time to report on how it is going - testing, getting onboard, and then hopefully good news about the ship, food, service and excursions.  Do hope they are going to keep the mandatory testing down to a minimum.

• Like 1