No independent exploring

silversurf

12 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Sorry  Denarius if you thought I was saying you were wrong. I was trying to highlight what you just said,  that Saga were either lying or just ignorant of what other cruise lines were doing.

By the way on a different point I just looked at a table on Cunard website about requirements for testing at ports. In Europe only Greece insists you have a test before disembarkation. By testing everyone every day Saga is highlighting it's infection level and causing problems,  but NOT it seems reducing covid.

Other cruise lines are  just getting on with life and letting people enjoy  holiday. 

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, stephenSJ said:

We will not be getting off today 

The solution is to debark pax and crew with COVID now to get below the acceptable level otherwise the cruise cannot continue to Barcelona.

That will happen this afternoon once arrangements can be made re hotels etc 

I am surprised and admiring that some of you on board are coping with this situation without complaining like mad.  If people are being taken of the ship in numbers like this, surely the cruise should go straight back to the UK, passengers should be reimbursed for what they have lost, and Saga should cancel future cruises until they have sorted themselves out.  I am generally a big fan of Saga cruises, but this does sound like a really bad situation, and not being dealt with well.

• Like 2

Captain has said Valencia do not want our covids and denied permission for them to disembark. We are going on to Barcelona where he hopes for a more sympathetic greeting. I can see us not being allowed of in Barcelona next.

Captain did say he realised we are not getting the holiday we were expecting.

On the upside we have been given a tin of biscuits to make up for the Grand Dining room afternoon teas being cancelled. 

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Sorry  Denarius if you thought I was saying you were wrong. I was trying to highlight what you just said,  that Saga were either lying or just ignorant of what other cruise lines were doing.

By the way on a different point I just looked at a table on Cunard website about requirements for testing at ports. In Europe only Greece insists you have a test before disembarkation. By testing everyone every day Saga is highlighting it's infection level and causing problems,  but NOT it seems reducing covid.

Other cruise lines are  just getting on with life and letting people enjoy  holiday. 

Quite correct. We know that most people infected with omicron either show no symptoms or very mild ones; nothing that would cause them to seek medical attention. Other lines like P&O are taking a reactive approach, dealing with covid if any passenger needs medical attention but not going out of their way to look for it. In other words, living with it and getting on with life. Saga on the other hand, are with their constant testing (yet another tomorrow!) going out of their way to look for it and identifying infected people who would probably not become ill; certainly not enough so as to require medical attention. And by doing so making a rod for their own backs. Sheer stupidity. I have another cruise booked with them for the Summer and if they are still carrying on as at present when my balance is due I will not pay it, and sacrifice my deposit if necessary. I have had enough!!!

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Denarius said:

Quite correct. We know that most people infected with omicron either show no symptoms or very mild ones; nothing that would cause them to seek medical attention. Other lines like P&O are taking a reactive approach, dealing with covid if any passenger needs medical attention but not going out of their way to look for it. In other words, living with it and getting on with life. Saga on the other hand, are with their constant testing (yet another tomorrow!) going out of their way to look for it and identifying infected people who would probably not become ill; certainly not enough so as to require medical attention. And by doing so making a rod for their own backs. Sheer stupidity. I have another cruise booked with them for the Summer and if they are still carrying on as at present when my balance is due I will not pay it, and sacrifice my deposit if necessary. I have had enough!!!

Reading  blogs on Cunard and P&O they take a more sensible but not cavalier approach.  Ship wide testing of everyone on day 3 , to catch anyone who did not show positive on boarding. Then as required if people have symptoms.  Yes they may miss a few people. But their ships are not banned from ports and people have a relaxed holiday.  Live with it.

Saga's  zero covid , Chinese approach , is just designed to shoot themselves in foot and deny passengers the cruise they paid for. Of course Saga management  will say  safety is paramount.  I say if safety is paramount,  stay at home. 

• Like 2

Quite agree. It’s supposed to be a holiday from this 2 year nightmare, not daily lateral flow tests and covid stats. Have SAGA forgotten they are a travel company supposed to be providing an enjoyable experience? 

Docked Barcelona. Code Quebec 8am so now locked down in cabins whilst the pax and crew who are infected are disembark here. 

Daily tests then waiting in cabin for result with prospect of being locked up do take the shine of the experience. 

As the quarantine area must be full there are prisoners on most decks. Our neighbors have been taken off today and the sight of used plates and lft tests lying in the corridor are a reminder. 

Feel so sorry for those who are leaving and just hope they are well looked after.

I see that Saga have now updated their website to specify no independent trips ashore, and also updated it for mask wearing in all indoor spaces.

Those who booked before this was a part of the terms and conditions must surely have a valid case for a claim for at least a partial refund (if you are now on board) or the ability to cancel with a refund (if not yet sailed).

At one stage the booking conditions were starting to look almost normal, now they are so draconian that had I booked, I would be cancelling. Glad I was too suspicious to book.

Incidentally, is it actually legal to refuse permission for people to get off the ship independently when the person has not tested positive, is not a close contact, and the port itself has not placed restrictions? Although I suppose they could refuse to allow you back on.

Witnessed a bout 100 souls leaving the ship this morning of which around 30 were crew. It's a very sad sight to see a lone elderly person wandering allong behind a hazmat suited helper.

For those of us on board we still await to find out if we can get off. Permission is currently still denied.

10 minutes ago, stephenSJ said:

Witnessed a bout 100 souls leaving the ship this morning of which around 30 were crew. It's a very sad sight to see a lone elderly person wandering allong behind a hazmat suited helper.

For those of us on board we still await to find out if we can get off. Permission is currently still denied.

Sounds like a nightmare. Saga have well and truly shot themselves in the foot, and with both barrels. How many of those removed were actually ill; ie, needing medical attention? Does anyone know?

4 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Sounds like a nightmare. Saga have well and truly shot themselves in the foot, and with both barrels. How many of those removed were actually ill; ie, needing medical attention? Does anyone know?

All were moving by themselves that I saw

53 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

17 minutes ago, stephenSJ said:

All were moving by themselves that I saw

Does not surprise me. I suspect that most if not all had merely tested positive in the enforced testing, and are not unwell. On other lines they would not have been identified as infected and port visits, and independent exploration would have gone on as normal. As I said, both barrels! They are hoist by their own petard.

Edited by Denarius
Clarification
  • Like 2

What a Saga! I notice that these threads concerning Saga cruises are being followed by literally thousands of potential / current Saga cruisers. It is no wonder Saga can't sell any of the recently advertised cruises on the Spirit of Adventure's Black Sea cruise in May. How can the management get it so wrong? I would at least hope  they have someone in their Head Office monitoring these threads in order to keep up to date with what their customers are saying. After all, Saga only have 2 ships. 

We really feel for you all on board at the moment. Your cruise has turned into a real nightmare. 

I presume Saga are testing people all the time, so anyone positive though perfectly well is likely to be thrown off the ship?  I am pretty sure other cruise lines are just not testing , and if people are not unwell there is no big problem.  I would hate to be on board, and Saga are going to lose out  on getting passengers in the near future when people start telling their stories.  So sorry for those who have been put ashore unnecessarily, and indeed for everyone still on board.  

4 minutes ago, Truro001 said:

What a Saga! I notice that these threads concerning Saga cruises are being followed by literally thousands of potential / current Saga cruisers. It is no wonder Saga can't sell any of the recently advertised cruises on the Spirit of Adventure's Black Sea cruise in May. How can the management get it so wrong? I would at least hope  they have someone in their Head Office monitoring these threads in order to keep up to date with what their customers are saying. After all, Saga only have 2 ships. 

We really feel for you all on board at the moment. Your cruise has turned into a real nightmare. 

Thank you. I am on SofA not SofD so am less affected than passengers on tha latter. Incessant testing has identified a handful of cases during the cruise but as far as I am aware none have been identified because people needed medical treatment. Are now in Tenerife next ti a Celebrity ship whose passengers are going ashore independently whilst we remain under house arrest. Most frustrating! First Saga cruise and may well be my last. 

2 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I presume Saga are testing people all the time, so anyone positive though perfectly well is likely to be thrown off the ship?  I am pretty sure other cruise lines are just not testing , and if people are not unwell there is no big problem.  I would hate to be on board, and Saga are going to lose out  on getting passengers in the near future when people start telling their stories.  So sorry for those who have been put ashore unnecessarily, and indeed for everyone still on board.  

I'm not sure that this is the case although I could be wrong. I suspect that people with a sore throat, sniffle, cough are self reporting because they feel it is the right thing to do. Subsequently they are tested and confirmed as covid positive and then all protocols come into play. Just a guess.

• Like 1

As we take self medication with us when we cruise to cover most eventualities we would just get on with it. Partner usually gets the cruise 'cough' and the aircon plays havoc with my sinuses. Stop testing for Covid, treat as medically necessary. We are due to sail in June becoming less confident that it will be a good experience.

6 minutes ago, lincslady said:

You have hit the nail on the head. As I understand it P&O, whose Arcadia we were tied up opposite in Gran Canaria tested all passengers prior to boarding and then again two days later. They have not been tested since. They may well have infected people onboard but they are not unwell and unlikely to become so.   The cruise goes on as normal including independent shore visits. Meanwhile on SofA we have already been tested 6 times and are being tested again today. People are on edge in case they test positive and are cast ashore. Not happy bunnies. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

I'm not sure that this is the case although I could be wrong. I suspect that people with a sore throat, sniffle, cough are self reporting because they feel it is the right thing to do. Subsequently they are tested and confirmed as covid positive and then all protocols come into play. Just a guess.

I doubt that is the case. When a case is identified onboard a Code Quebec is announced over the loudspeakers and passengers are instructed to return to their cabins whilst contacts etc are traced. Code Quebecs have so far only been issued during the testing sessions, implying that all cases so far have been identified by testing.

Just reading on face ache spirit of discovery page two of the people offloaded in Barcelona are still in the cruise terminal and nobody knows what is going to happen to them. quote from person "apparently they were disembarked before official approval from the port of authority was given"

6 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Not in the Canaries.

But SoD isn't in the Canaries and I believe Valencia, Barcelona etc. require ships to have less than a certain %age of Covid cases.

Edited by Glenndale
  • Like 1