Now that the CDC has dropped travel health notice for cruises...

LauraS

Now that the CDC had dropped travel health notice for cruises, will you book a future cruise?  

7,260 members have voted

1. 1. Will you book your future cruise?

• Actually, I'm already booked!
    • Yes, I'm looking to book very soon
    • Yes, but I'm still waiting to see if protocols will be loosened (masks, testing, etc.)
    • Yes, but I'll wait until there are less cases of Covid-19 & variants
    • I'm unsure whether I will cruise in the near future
    • Nope. Uh uh no. Never cruising again.

We've been diligent about getting vaxxed and boosted as soon as available, and that's given us the confidence to start cruising again. I'm back to working in the office 2 days a week and we've already had a couple mini-outbreaks at work. Fortunately omicron variants are mild and everyone recovered quickly. My assumption is someday I'm bound to be exposed, and being vaxxed/boosted will keep any actual effects to the minimum.

We've already sailed on two cruises (our first on RCL Allure last October and this January on MSC Seashore). We have NCL Joy in 19(!!!) days, then later this year will be our first time on Carnival on the Mardi Gras then next year we will be on NCL Prima and Virgin Resilient Lady for our first transatlantic voyage.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 3:25 PM, Keksie said:

Have a wonderful trip.  We are going on a road trip at the end of the month.  

Thanks Keksie.  I said Princess because it is out of SF and I made an assumption.  We will actually be on Carnival. I see their vaccine/mask/distance rules are very similar to Princess.   It will be a new experience as we haven't sailed on Carnival in years. 

Enjoy your trip!  

Hubby and I have been only several cruises in 2021 and we're going on our second cruise for 2022 in August.   We cruised in Aug. 2021, Oct. 2021, Dec. 2021 & Mar. 2022.  I don't have a problem wearing a mask in the terminals, crowded areas or doing a pre-cruise test.  Yes it would be great if all that was lifted, but in the mean time I go with the flow.  Every corner you turn on a ship they have hand sanitizer.  Common areas were always being wiped down.  I always felt safe. 

Edited by ReneePaulie1993
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 10:46 AM, LauraS said:

Take the poll....share when or where you'll cruise in the replies!

Hi, Laura S,

My wife and I booked a transatlantic on Anthem of the Seas this week. We leave from Southampton on Oct. 15, 2023. This will be our second TA with RCI (Navigator, 2008). We will be celebrating primarily my wife's 80th birthday (my 82nd but who is really counting?). Before the cruise we will be in NYC then Amsterdam (a week each) followed by a train trip to London (2 days) and another train to Southampton (another 2 days). We booked a forward facing, spacious ocean view (8500) cabin. We have not had an OV since 1989 on Costa Riviera. Our last 4 have all been inside, lower deck. Could not beat the price. 10% less for 15 nights than 11 nights on Rotterdam.

Jim/Madie

On 4/4/2022 at 2:03 PM, KBs mum said:

I'm not currently planning to go anywhere near the US, or on a US owned or flagged ship. Why would the CDC be more relevant than their equivilents in the countries we are in/going to? 

There are very few US flagged cruise ships. Many are US based but not flagged US. Most cruise lines DO follow the CDC guidelines even for ships not based in the US.

On 4/9/2022 at 7:21 PM, LeeRB said:

It has been just over 2 years and a month since I walked off my last cruise ship on March 7th 2020 then cruising stopped the next week. That seems like an eternity for someone who has gotten used to doing three or more cruises a year. I admit I have canceled three cruises since that date (all before FPD) and two of them before the CDC cancelled them for everyone the third I didn’t like what I was seeing with the COVID numbers. As things would happen, that cruise sailed, sort of, they changed the ship and the itinerary; some people were not happy about those changes. Anyway, it took a while, but I got a full refund on all three bookings.

I have a list of 5 things that would be deal breakers for me and result my canceling the Princess cruise I just booked on March 28th for April 2023. I am trying to think optimistically about this cruise; if it goes off as planed it will mean I am only one cruise away from a black card/medallion group.

For the record, I have been vaxed and boosted once and have been told I can get the second boost soon. Also, the only concern I have with the test is where can I obtain a COVID test within 2 days of sailing (if it is still required by then). I will be driving in to Fort Lauderdale from Central Alabama. I also have several of those “underlying conditions”.

From what I hear from reliable sources, Lab Doctor on 17th St. in Ft. Lauderdale is a great test site. Near the port and Embassy Suites hotel. Walk in and walk out with the results in under 30 minutes.

Jim

17 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

From what I hear from reliable sources, Lab Doctor on 17th St. in Ft. Lauderdale is a great test site. Near the port and Embassy Suites hotel. Walk in and walk out with the results in under 30 minutes.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I appreciate the info; I am hoping that I will not require one a year from now. I have decided to make it a 3 day drive each way to Fort Lauderdale and back to central Alabama. That’s more age related than anything else. I have done some initial checking and some of the large drugstore chains like CVS and Walgreens as well as the AFC urgent care chain are currently doing the COVID tests. If they are still requiring the tests 2 or 3 weeks before I sail, I plan on contacting them to 1) confirm they are still doing the testing and 2) schedule an appointment for the test (if I need one). I usually stay west of I-95 when I sail out of Fort Lauderdale.  Over the years I have found that I get more bang for my buck than east of I-95. I looked up Lab Doctor Fort Lauderdale online and got their contact info and address, just in case. I need to check with the other sources I mentioned above; I think I may be able to get the test free or at a reduced price with my insurance through one of them. I will still have the Lab Doctor as backup if the others are not doing the testing at that time. Lab Doctor is showing the COVID Antigen test at $49.00 with a 15 minute turnaround and the COVID RT-PCR test at $99.00 with an hour turnaround. It also said they do not take insurance and only do walk-ins, no appointments. While I understand the urgency of obtaining conformation of, or ruling out COVID; honestly by not taking any insurance plan and only taking walk-ins, it sounds a little on the shady side.

Rick

Edited by LeeRB
slight wording change for clarity

2 minutes ago, LeeRB said:

Thanks Jim, I appreciate the info; I am hoping that I will not require one a year from now. I have decided to make it a 3 day drive each way to Fort Lauderdale and back to central Alabama. That’s more age related than anything else. I have done some initial checking and some of the large drugstore chains like CVS and Walgreens as well as the AFC urgent care chain are currently doing the COVID tests. If they are still requiring the tests 2 or 3 weeks before I sail, I plan on contacting them to 1) confirm they are still doing the testing and 2) schedule an appointment for the test (if I need one). I usually stay west of I-95 when I sail out of Fort Lauderdale.  Over the years I have found that I get more bang for my buck than east of I-95. I looked up Lab Doctor Fort Lauderdale online and got their contact info and address, just in case. I need to check with the other sources I mentioned above; I think I may be able to get the test free or at a reduced price with my insurance through one of them. I will still have the Lab Doctor as backup if the others are not doing the testing at that time; they are showing the COVID Antigen test at $49.00 with a 15 minute turnaround and the COVID RT-PCR test at $99.00 with an hour turnaround. It also said they do not take insurance and only do walk-ins, no appointments. While I understand the urgency of obtaining conformation of, or ruling out COVID; honestly by not taking any insurance plan and only taking walk-ins, it sounds a little on the shady side.

Rick

Hi, Rick,

Glad to hear you have plans. And more plans. Taking care of yourself is the number one priority after all. When we took our Rotterdam cruise in Dec. 2021, testing was a real snafu but HAL stepped up to the plate in grand fashion at the Terminal. See my review of the cruise and testing below.

Jim

19 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

There are very few US flagged cruise ships. Many are US based but not flagged US. Most cruise lines DO follow the CDC guidelines even for ships not based in the US.

Yes, but why? The CDC recommendations are based on the situation in the USA. If not in or visiting the USA why are they relevant? 

We are already booked for two Celebrity cruises in early 2024; but if Celebrity does not relax their protocols for Covid quarantine to allow staying in our own balcony cabin rather than being transferred to an ocean view or inside cabin for quarantine, then we will probably cancel them.

It will be really hard to book a cruise now that we are on a land vacation with no mask requirement, no testing, no vaccination requirement and no possibility of having to quarantine in a lesser cabin.  We have found a variety of excursions during the day, adult beverages, good food and entertainment in the evenings.  We loved to cruise but I think it may a long time before it is back to what we loved.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

If you do not mind saying, what are the 5 things on your list?

This may be a little long but here are the 5 things that would have been and still are a deal breaker when this written back on September 24th 2020 and documents the instructions I gave my TA that handles my RCI cruises. It only mentions RCI because of an issue with Princess/Carnival Corp over a cruise and have not sailed with them since November 13, 2017 until now. I have recently booked a Princess cruise for Apr 2023 but FPD isn’t till Jan 5th so that is still open to change. I handle Princess and Carnival cruise myself it’s a long story and not worth going into on here.    

My booking requirements for future cruises

On the morning of September 23rd) I advised my TA to call RCI and cancel my Independence OTS cruise I have booked for February 2021 and I also wanted a refund; not a future cruise credit. I still have not received all of the refund for the Empress OTS cruise I canceled May 22nd (four months earlier at that point). They still owe me $324.51 on it and I am tired of being told ‘something went wrong’, ‘we don’t know what happened’, it was sent to the travel agency, it will be mailed to me or ‘it should be credited back to your credit card by no later than ….’ and it either doesn’t show up and we are told ‘it will be another 45 or more days before they can get the rest to me’ AGAIN. The last partial refund I received from the Empress cancellation was credited back to my credit card was on July 17th. The Independence was cancelled on September 23rd and I had a full refund by October 5th on for the Inde cruise.

I also told her to tell RCI, in September, I will not be booking another cruise until, at a minimum:

1)  The cruise lines have started sailing out of the US again.

(Accomplished?)

2)  I have received the FULL REFUNDS for the Empress, Independence & Brilliance OTS cruises.

(Accomplished, the last of the partial refunds was received on 05 Nov 2020 for the Empress OTS.)

3)  I am assured that I can leave the ship in a POC (and re-board) without having to be on a very restrictive/tightly controlled ships ‘bubble’ excursion, be restricted to the port area itself or be prevented from exploring independently;

(Having been to many of the ports in the Caribbean multiple times, I have specific places I like to eat and shop; and local tour companies I do business with, which are just as good if not better (in my sole opinion) than what the ships offer; and in many cases are cheaper than the ships excursions. I am also not a fan of most of those high end places they want us to shop, have not been impressed by the few eateries they recommend that I have eaten at and am not fond of the majority of their ‘Private Islands’.) (ok for now) 

4) I must have an understanding of what the ‘new normal’ is; AND IT IS ACCEPTABLE  TO ME before I will book a cruise. I WILL NOT spend thousands of dollars, to take a ride on a big boat that stops in foreign ports, maybe, where everything I do, both on and off the ship, is choreographed by someone that works for the cruise line, with no exceptions permitted; (ok for now).

5) COVID-19 is under control and is no longer a MAJOR threat OR I have been vaccinated for it. 

(I received my 1st Pfizer shot Feb 11 2021, 2nd Pfizer shot Mar 4th 2021; and a Pfizer booster Oct 18th 2021 and am now am eligible for a 2nd booster but have not received it yet) (ok for now).

* Modified 3-8-2021

Updated 3-19-2022

Updated again 4-9-2022 (My concerns about items 1 appears to be resolved and 3, 4  and 5 have been addressed for now; but FPD isn’t until  Jan 5th 2023. Things can change between now and then.         

My booking requirements for future cruises

On the morning of September 23rd 2020) I advised my TA to call RCI and cancel my Independence OTS cruise I have booked for February 2021 and I also wanted a refund; not a future cruise credit. I still have not received all of the refund for the Empress OTS cruise I canceled May 22nd (four months earlier at that point). They still owe me $324.51 on it and I am tired of being told ‘something went wrong’, ‘we don’t know what happened’, it was sent to the travel agency, it will be mailed to me or ‘it should be credited back to your credit card by no later than ….’ and it either doesn’t show up and we are told ‘it will be another 45 or more days before they can get the rest to me’ AGAIN. The last partial refund I received from the Empress cancellation was credited back to my credit card was on July 17th. The Independence was cancelled on September 23rd and I had a full refund by October 5th on for the Inde cruise.

I also told her to tell RCI, I will not be booking another cruise until, at a minimum:

1)  The cruise lines have started sailing out of the US again.

(Accomplished?)

2)  I have received the FULL REFUNDS for the Empress, Independence & Brilliance OTS cruises.

(Accomplished, the last of the partial refunds was received on 05 Nov 2020 for the Empress OTS.)

3)  I am assured that I can leave the ship in a POC (and re-board) without having to be on a very restrictive/tightly controlled ships excursion or restricted to the port area itself;.

(Having been to many of the ports in the Caribbean multiple times, I have specific places I like to eat and shop; and local tour companies I do business with, which are just as good if not better (in my sole opinion) than what the ships offer; and in many cases are cheaper than the ships excursions. I am also not a fan of most of those high end places they want us to shop, have not been impressed by the few eateries they recommend that I have eaten at and am not fond of the majority of their ‘Private Islands’.) (ok for now) 

4) I must have an understanding of what the ‘new normal’ is; AND IT IS ACCEPTABLE  TO ME before I will book a cruise. I WILL NOT spend thousands of dollars, to take a ride on a big boat that stops in foreign ports, maybe, where everything I do, both on and off the ship, is choreographed by someone that works for the cruise line, with no exceptions permitted; (ok for now).

5) COVID-19 is under control and is no longer a MAJOR threat OR I have been vaccinated for it. 

(I received my 1st Pfizer shot Feb 11 2021, 2nd Pfizer shot Mar 4th 2021; and a Pfizer booster Oct 18th 2021 and now am eligible for a 2nd booster but have not received it yet) (ok for now).

Modified 3-8-2021

Updated 3-19-2022

Updated again 4-9-2022 (My concerns about items 1 appears to be resolved and 3, 4  and 5 have been addressed for now; but FPD isn’t until  Jan 5th 2023. Things can change between now and then.         

14 hours ago, Keksie said:

It will be really hard to book a cruise now that we are on a land vacation with no mask requirement, no testing, no vaccination requirement and no possibility of having to quarantine in a lesser cabin.  We have found a variety of excursions during the day, adult beverages, good food and entertainment in the evenings.  We loved to cruise but I think it may a long time before it is back to what we loved.

Sounds like you are enjoying the trip -- 👍👍👍

Are you traveling internationally or ??? 

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

Sounds like you are enjoying the trip -- 👍👍👍

Are you traveling internationally or ??? 

International would require flying and that we won't do because of the mask/maybe mask requirements and who knows what testing protocols would be needed.  We are in Gatlinburg.  Yesterday we saw bears and turkeys and today elk.  Plus a lot of scenery.  Ole Red has live entertainment a short walk away.  

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 12:28 PM, KBs mum said:

Yes, but why? The CDC recommendations are based on the situation in the USA. If not in or visiting the USA why are they relevant? 

KBs mum,

That is a very good question. My guess is that the CDC science is why. 

Jim

• Haha 1

On 4/4/2022 at 2:03 PM, KBs mum said:

I'm not currently planning to go anywhere near the US, or on a US owned or flagged ship. Why would the CDC be more relevant than their equivilents in the countries we are in/going to? 

I followed this string back to try and understand the issue.   I think the point wasn't that CDC rules applied everywhere.  It was that the rules of the country where you port apply.   If US ports are involved then US (CDC) rules.  If say European ports, then EU rules apply.   I'm probably not saying this well, but hopefully this helps.   Or, maybe I'm all wet!  😄

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I followed this string back to try and understand the issue.   I think the point wasn't that CDC rules applied everywhere.  It was that the rules of the country where you port apply.   If US ports are involved then US (CDC) rules.  If say European ports, then EU rules apply.   I'm probably not saying this well, but hopefully this helps.   Or, maybe I'm all wet!  😄

I was annoyed at the survey appearing everytime I looked at anything on the boards. There isn't an option for 'makes no difference to me as CDC is not relevant where I am and plan to go' ticked the 'got a cruise booked anyway' option to get rid of it

1 hour ago, KBs mum said:

I was annoyed at the survey appearing everytime I looked at anything on the boards. There isn't an option for 'makes no difference to me as CDC is not relevant where I am and plan to go' ticked the 'got a cruise booked anyway' option to get rid of it

Yes, I see.  Sometimes I use that arrow in the quoted box to trace back in an attempt to understand a quoted comment.  Didn't work this time!