Now that the CDC has dropped travel health notice for cruises...

LauraS

Now that the CDC had dropped travel health notice for cruises, will you book a future cruise?  

7,260 members have voted

1. 1. Will you book your future cruise?

• Actually, I'm already booked!
    • Yes, I'm looking to book very soon
    • Yes, but I'm still waiting to see if protocols will be loosened (masks, testing, etc.)
    • Yes, but I'll wait until there are less cases of Covid-19 & variants
    • I'm unsure whether I will cruise in the near future
    • Nope. Uh uh no. Never cruising again.

Booked in 2020 this Amazon cruise with Regent, is the only cruise left, all bookings made since March 2019, were changed and eventually cancelled due to covid. On the 6th cancellation we finally opted to get our money back, leaving just this one cruise left booked. I can not wait, roll on November, it is my planned retirement cruise. Happy cruising everyone

2 Questions:

1.  If you live in the US, you are still required to test for reentry.  So, if a cruise relaxes its covid protocols, are they really doing you a favor?  Think about it.

2.  As noted in recent posts, if you get covid while cruising, your trip will be miserable.  So, again, if a cruise relaxes its covid protocols, are they really doing you a favor?

I'm sorry, but getting vaccinated and tested, wearing a mask and distancing, won't have any effect on me having a good time on a cruise.  Only the consequences of getting covid will.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have a European trip planned for July (Trafalgar land tour plus Carnival cruise). Not sure if that will really happen though! I also have a Viking Great Lakes trip in September, and two Royal Caribbean trips out of Baltimore in October and November (had to use those FCCs before they expire).

Booked third attempt to get a cruise to Israel a year ago to leave October this year. As of now Israel not friendly to cruising and if not certain we will get there will sacrifice deposit when full balance due. Might also back out if Odyssey ot Seas has mask mandate.

Further cruise booked for Feb 23 , Panama on Emerald Princess. Do not see how restrictions can last that long but who knows?

It has been just over 2 years and a month since I walked off my last cruise ship on March 7th 2020 then cruising stopped the next week. That seems like an eternity for someone who has gotten used to doing three or more cruises a year. I admit I have canceled three cruises since that date (all before FPD) and two of them before the CDC cancelled them for everyone the third I didn’t like what I was seeing with the COVID numbers. As things would happen, that cruise sailed, sort of, they changed the ship and the itinerary; some people were not happy about those changes. Anyway, it took a while, but I got a full refund on all three bookings.

I have a list of 5 things that would be deal breakers for me and result my canceling the Princess cruise I just booked on March 28th for April 2023. I am trying to think optimistically about this cruise; if it goes off as planed it will mean I am only one cruise away from a black card/medallion group.

For the record, I have been vaxed and boosted once and have been told I can get the second boost soon. Also, the only concern I have with the test is where can I obtain a COVID test within 2 days of sailing (if it is still required by then). I will be driving in to Fort Lauderdale from Central Alabama. I also have several of those “underlying conditions”.

I booked Before COVID and kept moving it every time it got canceled. Did back to back in December 2021, one from Charleston in February this year, have one booked for Alaska in June and Transatlantic in September.

So yeah I am cruising.

Edited by poolboyclay

We probably won’t book until masks and testing are not required anywhere in the trip and cruise. We are not opposed to these requirements during this time when they are needed. We just don’t want more inconvenience that we have to pay for!  But we hope that some form of Covid vaccination status is required far into the future. We have been fully vaccinated plus two boosters. We will get further boosters in accord with CDC recommendations, and wouldn’t book a cruise that did not require all aboard to be fully vaccinated in accord with recommendations in effect at time of sailing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dolebludger said:

We probably won’t book until masks and testing are not required anywhere in the trip and cruise. We are not opposed to these requirements during this time when they are needed. We just don’t want more inconvenience that we have to pay for!  But we hope that some form of Covid vaccination status is required far into the future. We have been fully vaccinated plus two boosters. We will get further boosters in accord with CDC recommendations, and wouldn’t book a cruise that did not require all aboard to be fully vaccinated in accord with recommendations in effect at time of sailing.

what about natural immunity? would you be accepting of those with a current test that show they have good immunity?

• Haha 1

On 4/9/2022 at 7:21 PM, LeeRB said:

It has been just over 2 years and a month since I walked off my last cruise ship on March 7th 2020 then cruising stopped the next week. That seems like an eternity for someone who has gotten used to doing three or more cruises a year. I admit I have canceled three cruises since that date (all before FPD) and two of them before the CDC cancelled them for everyone the third I didn’t like what I was seeing with the COVID numbers. As things would happen, that cruise sailed, sort of, they changed the ship and the itinerary; some people were not happy about those changes. Anyway, it took a while, but I got a full refund on all three bookings.

I have a list of 5 things that would be deal breakers for me and result my canceling the Princess cruise I just booked on March 28th for April 2023. I am trying to think optimistically about this cruise; if it goes off as planed it will mean I am only one cruise away from a black card/medallion group.

For the record, I have been vaxed and boosted once and have been told I can get the second boost soon. Also, the only concern I have with the test is where can I obtain a COVID test within 2 days of sailing (if it is still required by then). I will be driving in to Fort Lauderdale from Central Alabama. I also have several of those “underlying conditions”.

Your first sentence is kind of sobering.  We walked off our last cruise the first week of Feb, 2020.  A few days before boarding in Singapore we received an email from the cruise line that anyone from or traveling though China would not be allowed to board.  Shortly after we got home to California we were advised things would shut down for a couple of weeks to flatten the curve.  Crazy.  

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

Your first sentence is kind of sobering.  We walked off our last cruise the first week of Feb, 2020.  A few days before boarding in Singapore we received an email from the cruise line that anyone from or traveling though China would not be allowed to board.  Shortly after we got home to California we were advised things would shut down for a couple of weeks to flatten the curve.  Crazy.  

Our last cruise was in 2019.  Had one planned for March of 2020.  The way things are going we will probably be too old to cruise before the protocols are lifted enough to make for a fun cruise.  Thank goodness there are a lot of places to explore we can drive to that will be fun.  

As many of you-I stepped off the NCL Getaway ship  in January of 2020 and shortly after-all hell broke loose.

For those of you who have been cruising-I truly am happy for you.

For those of us who understand what goes in to planning, costs, time off from work and all the other things that go with organizing this thing we call vacation [and BTW-supposed to be stress free] I hope we all are on a ship soon. Trip insurance is in no way shape or form any means of comfort. It's been over 2 years-I'll wait more if I have to.

Because someone is tested 48 hours prior to boarding is no comfort to me either. My being fully vaccinated is my comfort zone. Hopefully that will be enough for me to be a passenger soon.🙏

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

Our last cruise was in 2019.  Had one planned for March of 2020.  The way things are going we will probably be too old to cruise before the protocols are lifted enough to make for a fun cruise.  Thank goodness there are a lot of places to explore we can drive to that will be fun.  

We have a 7 day Mexican Riviera coming up in May.  Our family decided we would test the waters so to speak.  I have had concerns about on-board restriction and the masking requirements in particular.    For this upcoming cruise, Princess says:  "Masks are recommended but not required". Of course, exceptions will apply in certain venues.   This cruise will be kid of unusual for us.   It will be more about our family group enjoying the ship as opposed to the itinerary.  We shall see.   

The "negative test within 48 hours of cruise" is like the TSA security check, to me.  A negative test does not mean you are not infected; it means you could have COVID but not enough virus to test positive.  If you took a test within the following 2 days, you could indeed test positive.  Just like because someone clears TSA, it doesn't make me feel like I'm safe.  

This negative/positive showed up with all of us here at work with the "O" variant this winter.  We test negative at first, even though we felt lousy, but then go back in on day 4 and "BOOM", we test positive.  Good think my workplace gave us all 7 days of COVID sick days outside of any other off days.  They wanted us to stay home if we felt bad.  We were all sick within 2 weeks of each other.  

Not trying to fear-monger or shame folks:  I just want people to not be Pollyana'ish about this. 

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

We have a 7 day Mexican Riviera coming up in May.  Our family decided we would test the waters so to speak.  I have had concerns about on-board restriction and the masking requirements in particular.    For this upcoming cruise, Princess says:  "Masks are recommended but not required". Of course, exceptions will apply in certain venues.   This cruise will be kid of unusual for us.   It will be more about our family group enjoying the ship as opposed to the itinerary.  We shall see.   

Have a wonderful trip.  We are going on a road trip at the end of the month.