Red Banner?

travlin

Just now, azbirdmom said:

Red means do not disturb.  Green means room can be serviced.  You can activate these by clicking the icons down at the bottom of the screen.

I had NO idea! Thank you!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Does “locking” the door from the inside activate the “Do Not Disturb” bar?

No.

You have to actually press the screen button on the door sign. 

One button for Do Not Disturb and another for Service.

The buttons can only be set by a person with the correct medallion or by the cabin attendant. 

And I read a post from someone who may have accidentally turned on 'do not disturb' and left the room for the day, only to return and find the room had not been serviced. When checking they were told it was because of the 'do not disturb'.  We always doublcheck it before leaving for the morning!

1 minute ago, Buckeye10640 said:

And I read a post from someone who may have accidentally turned on 'do not disturb' and left the room for the day, only to return and find the room had not been serviced. When checking they were told it was because of the 'do not disturb'.  We always doublcheck it before leaving for the morning!

We accidentally left our do not disturb flag on one day and we didn't get our notice about a luncheon. It's easy to overlook. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

It only requires a short press to set it.

Holding it for too long seems to get it confused and it doesn't immediately change the screen. 

Yeah.  Our steward asked us about it when we returned that day.  Showed us how sensitive it is.

One port day when we were on the Enchanted in February, we accidentally set the don't disturb on.  We did not find it until we returned to find a dirty room.  Room steward talked to us about it later.  He suspected it was an error but could not service the room.  Lesson learned. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brisalta said:

I see a variant on Schrodinger's cat paradox here.

Brilliant! Except that your partner could wait outside the door and check what happens, the cat acn't get out of the box to check 🙂

5 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Brilliant! Except that your partner could wait outside the door and check what happens, the cat acn't get out of the box to check 🙂

Gee you do not know much of cats or partners. 😉 You really expect either to wait and help?

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MissP22 said:

No.

You have to actually press the screen button on the door sign. 

One button for Do Not Disturb and another for Service.

The buttons can only be set by a person with the correct medallion or by the cabin attendant. 

Being able to control that function from the Medallion app would actually make the app worth while.

Very cool - Thank You. So very glad this question was asked. We sail in May on our first ever Medallion cruise and this is useful information. I once had a (female) steward enter my cabin and start to open the bathroom door for service while I was sitting on the throne. Not cool. The fact that one can mark the room as "Do Not Disturb" is a plus but I'm happy that the steward can tell the room is occupied even without having that set.

We were actually booked on a Medallion Cruise back in 2018. It was supposed to be the first Medallion cruise for Caribbean Princess. They decided it wasn't ready for Prime Time and cancelled the Medallion aspect of the cruise. I had actually been looking forward to the new technology but, in retrospect, it's likely a very good thing that they didn't try to implement it at that time.

16 hours ago, antsp said:

The do not disturb sign is a bit of a waste of time, as the steward will check on his pda if you are in the room 

Actually no.  Use the Do Not Disturb. Use the lock.  

We just got off Enchanted. Our room steward one evening must have known we were both in IF she used her pda.
She knocked, called out “can I come in?” And when NEITHER of us answered - SHE CAME IN!!!  
Hubby was napping asleep & I was in washroom. Neither of us replied to her yelling. 

After that we put on the “do not disturb” and latched the lock every time we both came in.  

She was clearly a new employee. She was trying, but had no clue about western  privacy protocols. She had told us she was from rural Philippines and that she didn’t believe covid was real as they didn’t ever see it in her village. She was a sweet girl otherwise.  We gave her the benefit of the doubt as she worked hard and meant well. No reason to complain or say anything.  We just locked up!   And tipped her extra. 

17 hours ago, Thrak said:

Very cool - Thank You. So very glad this question was asked. We sail in May on our first ever Medallion cruise and this is useful information. I once had a (female) steward enter my cabin and start to open the bathroom door for service while I was sitting on the throne. Not cool. The fact that one can mark the room as "Do Not Disturb" is a plus but I'm happy that the steward can tell the room is occupied even without having that set.

Yikes!!!! 

See my comment above. Just because they have the tech doesn’t mean they use it. 
I highly recommend using the DND red banner and the lock!