Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, Babr said:

When the Celebrity COVID assistance ends on May 1, you might want to revisit your coverage as long as testing and quarantine are in play.

Chase trip interruption will reimburse you for unused prepaid nonrefundable expenses, but it does not cover your return flight as a comprehensive travel policy does.

More significantly, the trip delay provision - which is the part that pays for quarantine in comprehensive policies - is only $500 with Chase, and it covers only delays caused by equipment failure, etc - not quarantine. If you had to quarantine in a hotel before returning home, you’d have no coverage for that or the return flight.

Chase has the most generous credit card benefits, but it leaves some gaps at a time when quarantine still presents a real risk.

Just an FYI -- there are 2 Chase Sapphire cards: Sapphire Preferred and Sapphire Reserve.  They have similar benefits but there are differences, especially regarding the amount of coverage.  Naturally, anyone using the cards should be clear on what it provides.

55 minutes ago, raudacruise said:

6148 was our cabin for our first ever Celebrity cruise. An extra special treat from DH. It was perfection.

Doubt I’ll ever sail in a PH again. I’ve tried move-up bids (some stingy, some pretty high) for CS on up and have never been successful. I’ll keep trying. Think I’d prefer Millenium class PH over Solstice class. Best veranda ever. Dream on…

Ya never know we got an upgrade from a SS to a Penthouse on Equinox.   It was amazing. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Well did say less than 5% so have to watch CDC

Does CDC still track once we leave the US for the summer?

Following your initial mention of Covid cases on board, I checked the CDC website to assess the color coded status of Silhouette.... To no avail. The ship was not mentioned at all and I assumed it was a result of the ship having left U.S. waters for an extended period of time.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

Just an FYI -- there are 2 Chase Sapphire cards: Sapphire Preferred and Sapphire Reserve.  They have similar benefits but there are differences, especially regarding the amount of coverage.  Naturally, anyone using the cards should be clear on what it provides.

Yes, I know. The definition of Trip Interruption remains the same for both cards. They cover unused prepaid nonrefundable costs - not return transportation as comprehensive travel insurance does.

Trip Delay is $500 for covered reasons in both. Quarantine is not one of the covered reasons.

The amount of coverage is not the only consideration. One has to know what is covered.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

image.png.4258387ace89fdd30f40a584b46b04ac.png

Jim I am going to have to keep an eye out for those wonderfull White tuxedos when we board in two weeks .... do you change to black when you cross into the North. see you in the North sea in 14 days.....😎 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've known many to do that.    They buy a Round Trip that coinside with both cruises. 

A number of others have take the Westbound and the the QM2 for the return.

Exactly what we do so we get 2 trips to stay with our grandson and 2 cruises out of one return ticket. We also book the flights as a vacation that way the price is lower and we only have to pay a deposit. To make it into a vacation you just need 1 days hotel or 1 days car rental - the rental can even be before the first flight. If you really don't need either just book the cheapest 1 day car and don't show up.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Exactly what we do so we get 2 trips to stay with our grandson and 2 cruises out of one return ticket. We also book the flights as a vacation that way the price is lower and we only have to pay a deposit. To make it into a vacation you just need 1 days hotel or 1 days car rental - the rental can even be before the first flight. If you really don't need either just book the cheapest 1 day car and don't show up.

Yup. We leave for Portugal Monday in Business Class on Air France, with three days hotel in Lisbon, booked with Delta Vacations. The return ticket is basic economy, and we won't use it (will cancel after we land). At the end of this 62 day trip, we are flying home on FinnAir out of Stockholm (killer deal on airfare with a points sale - 2 Business Class RT tickets for $2449). We fly back to Stockholm in late July, eventually cruising from Iceland to Boston, two more RT Boston cruises, and flying home to SoCal in late September. 

We have some shorter flights within Europe, but it's nice to have the long ones in lie flat seats. 

As for the rental car, when we have to fly out of Los Angeles, rather than our small local airport (as we usually do for international) we get a one-way rental car. It is so much cheaper than a car service, ride share, or airport parking. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

As for the rental car, when we have to fly out of Los Angeles, rather than our small local airport (as we usually do for international) we get a one-way rental car. It is so much cheaper than a car service, ride share, or airport parking. 

We are doing this for the first time in two weeks when we head out on a B2B.  Renting a one way car on the Central Coast, drop off at LAX, and then get a one way in the other direction when we return in June.  We sometimes just leave a car at Judy's cousin's house in the LA area and take Ubers, but this seemed like a long time (5+ weeks) to tie up part of their driveway.

Tom & Judy

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TFree said:

We are doing this for the first time in two weeks when we head out on a B2B.  Renting a one way car on the Central Coast, drop off at LAX, and then get a one way in the other direction when we return in June.  We sometimes just leave a car at Judy's cousin's house in the LA area and take Ubers, but this seemed like a long time (5+ weeks) to tie up part of their driveway.

Tom & Judy

It will be even easier next year, once the People Mover between the rental agencies and the terminals is finished. Yay! No more shuttle vans!

I am enjoying following you on your journey! I just found it yesterday and had a lot of catching up to do !! I am enjoying seeing all of your pictures.We will finally board the Summit in Sept. in a SS and look forward to having some great food in Luminae !! 

7 hours ago, Tigrou said:

It was actually slightly busier around 0830 but not much.

On QM2 eastbound crossings they put the clocks forward at midday rather than overnight. Captain does his noon broadcast then suddenly it’s a few minutes after 1pm. I found that less disruptive and crew said it’s much better for them too.

Royal did that transpacific.  It seemed easier to end the day earlier! 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

It will be even easier next year, once the People Mover between the rental agencies and the terminals is finished. Yay! No more shuttle vans!

Somehow, I was not aware of this project at all.  I just looked it up, and it seems as if it will be great.  At any rate, if it reduces congestion at all, that will be a huge plus.

Tom & Judy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Ya never know we got an upgrade from a SS to a Penthouse on Equinox.   It was amazing. 

I’m jealous but with your wonderful live reviews you totally deserve it. Maybe you have an asterisk by your name. Think I have a black smudge. But like I said, I’ll keep trying.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

1543174174_Luminae-Dinner_Page_11.jpg

Ordering the Corn Soup, double order of Salmon Poke appetizer, and the raspberry thingee for deSSert! 

Please send ASAP via DoorDash. 😉

…and I’ll tip the Dasher handsomely! 

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

This sounds like a desert in the MDR where the Strawberry Shortcake hasn't had strawberries in several years.  Only strawberry sauce.  

If you’ll quit peeinginthepool, and spell deSSert correctly (!), I’ll bet my raspberries you’ll see strawberries on your shortcake! 🤣

• Haha 7

Good Morning from Ponte Delgado 

We have a 9:00 excursion to go Whale Watching.  Was worried about weather but it’s beautiful and watched the sun come up.  15 minutes a Princess Enchantment docked blocking  much of the view.

245DD279-B535-4E3A-A5BC-9AD43A96DF8D.thumb.jpeg.0b7399586809d0c244d6fbdc9be43883.jpeg

2C5CE850-AA51-44BE-93B0-381027B08C9E.thumb.jpeg.1c7d19db3129649b00eafd57bf35817d.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mchell810 said:

You are correct.    i have the Reserve.   It's expensive at first glance at $500 per year, but you get a rebate of the first $300 spent on food or travel (really easy to do by just placing a deposit on a cruise.   Also gives you Reimbursement for TSA Global Entry.   To be covered you have to charge the trip on Chase Reserve.

image.png.565b535948058ca475f1d0422f504b53.pngimage.png.565b535948058ca475f1d0422f504b53.png

• Like 3

On 4/3/2022 at 3:41 PM, goldsmip115 said:

So looking forward to following along, Jim.  Karen and I will miss seeing you both in San Francisco.  We board the Millenium on May 3rd, San Diego to Vancouver.  We’ve made some new friends on the Boards, Randy and Connie.  They are on the Silhoutte right now in a PS. They will be our neighbors in 6148 for the May 3rd cruise.  First time sailing in a PS where we know our adjoining neighbors.  This is the first time in all my cruises where I don’t have everything planned.  Gratefully the hotels and first class air are booked on both ends.  I did book two massages and an interesting “open air” excursion to see the bison in Catalina island. I think the rest will be Private Journey.  Safe travels my friend.  We’ll be following you.

Trish and Karen -  Good hearing from you

Have you checked on your booking recently.   You may be in for a disappointment as they are swapping the Solstice cruises from Millennium   Hopefully it is after your cruise.   I know you love the PH on the M-Class.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Trish and Karen -  Good hearing from you

Have you checked on your booking recently.   You may be in for a disappointment as they are swapping the Solstice cruises from Millennium   Hopefully it is after your cruise.   I know you love the PH on the M-Class.

Jim

The change happens after our cruise…Whew!  Here are the particulars in a letter issued to those itineraries involved;

We are contacting you to provide an update on the status of your 2022 cruise vacation.  As a result of deployment changes, the Mexican Riviera sailings on Celebrity Millennium departing September 24, 2022 through December 11, 2022, will now be onboard Celebrity Solstice.”

Randy

• Like 1

As always following your posts. Following closely since we will be on the silhouette in August September on a B4B.  Celebrity released the Covid test requirements for our August trip. I'm curious if celebrity will be doing the testing for your second and third cruises or if you're taking along the proctored test?

1 hour ago, Mosttoyswin said:

As always following your posts. Following closely since we will be on the silhouette in August September on a B4B.  Celebrity released the Covid test requirements for our August trip. I'm curious if celebrity will be doing the testing for your second and third cruises or if you're taking along the proctored test?

By August I suspect the testing requirements will be changed and/or gone away as most of Europe is no longer requiring them to enter. The only requirement that may be around is up to date full boosted vaccinations. 

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

You are correct.    i have the Reserve.   It's expensive at first glance at $500 per year, but you get a rebate of the first $300 spent on food or travel (really easy to do by just placing a deposit on a cruise.   Also gives you Reimbursement for TSA Global Entry.   To be covered you have to charge the trip on Chase Reserve.

image.png.565b535948058ca475f1d0422f504b53.pngimage.png.565b535948058ca475f1d0422f504b53.png

Yes, I have that card; the annual fee is definitely worth it.

• Like 1