Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

Another perfect weather day in Le Rochelle with clear skies and 70-75 degree weather.    It was a little nippy early (about 58 F) but quickly warmed up.

They had a shuttle from the Port to Le Rochelle.   Still don't know how much it was as it has not yet posted to our account.  We got back to the ship around 2:00 PM

Masks were required on the bus and were handed out at the door.    Everyone was in compliance except a group of 5 traveling with a wheelchair bound teen.   Maybe since they boarded them through the back door they were not advised or given masks,  but out of common sense I would think any of us seeing everyone on the bus with a mask would don one.    They were never asked to put one on but I was happy we were 6 rows away.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sorry you had to cancel the trip.   We went into a almost total quarantine 3 weeks prior to the cruise.   I had been working my son almost daily for 3 months on his new home and advised him that we were going on lock down at that time.    His whole family had come down with it about 2 weeks prior and I had been keeping my distance.   

Look forward to seeing the Grand-kids when we get home. 

Unfortunately we are both still working (though not for much longer) so did our best and having avoided it for over 2 years the timing couldn't have been worse! Strangely despite my wife working in a large London hospital I got it it first but with 1 in 12 in UK at that time it's become difficult to avoid but was fortunately mild due to 2 jabs and a booster!

We are, therefore watching the trip through your fabulous posts, we do have a trip next week unfortunately not on Celebrity as we couldn't get the right itineraries to match up with timings but so needed a break. Totally gutted as this trip was first booked in 2018 and rebooked several times. With what's already booked we will try again in 2025!

It looks like I'll have no Celebrity sailings until a B2B next February Eastern Caribbean and Americas and Mexico out of Tampa! 

I'm glad we took the risk in September with out first post covid cruises.  It gave us confidence that we could be vigilant and have a fantastic cruise in the world of the new norm.    It helped being upgraded to a RS on one cruise and a PH on the second.  

We do spend much more time than normal in our room and my Roku has helped with the poor TV coverage on the ship.   We got back to the ship around 2:00 this afternoon and the only dining options were OV, Pool Grill and Spa Cafe.

We grabbed some soft rolls and cheese and returned to our room for lunch as their was hardly a seat up there.  

4DA02EBD-BE98-4794-B104-547F6AAE8A7D.thumb.jpeg.6ed875eecb5621ec873f9f3ac9b7a714.jpeg

it does make it comfortable having a dining room 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 12

We stayed aboard until 10 am thinking the lines would have calmed down for the shuttle to town.  So much for that idea. 

Luckily there were continuous busses and the line moved quickly 

72C9C926-A02D-4092-BEBF-881F6640A35D.thumb.jpeg.d98d87e59c714e25606d46559fd2fd5b.jpeg

We were dropped At Central Park (Parc Charruyer) on the edge of town.   It is a nice 1/2 mile walk to town. 

5898704D-EEEC-4C5D-BE16-BCEE3A386156.thumb.jpeg.3ff977e881d5e4bf3ac1cc339ccdf4b2.jpeg

C4BC46C5-6973-4E0C-878C-5DF13708D4D7.thumb.jpeg.142200482dbab13c9cc4e1ab0536e781.jpeg

A4B0D63A-1C6A-42AA-B822-989FC67CDEFF.thumb.jpeg.56dcbd9e390e7644838a665dd3f68c44.jpeg

Came upon this plant and every program identifies it differently.  Hmmm

ED2134C3-5707-4C4E-82D0-7755D6F9E9E9.thumb.jpeg.ab7af640106cc5183cd9646515eff876.jpeg

We walked via Porte des Deux Moulins (Gate of two Mills) until we got to The Chain Tower of La Rochelle. 

37151B68-FA48-48B7-A066-31164812FB50.thumb.jpeg.3c455a900fd7a4519f7707e51151fd54.jpeg

49CBE7C3-965B-45A5-8FF5-3690D8246E82.thumb.jpeg.a2a853be1607dadf26b36f3f9e9cf996.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Haven't been posting many foodie pictures as of late as the menus are on rotation.   I did have a desert that I had never had before last night and will post later.  

thank you lol. Stay safe

Thank you for sharing your amazing trip with us. Your pictures are stunning and I am learning so much from your explanation of everything...I'm doing quite a bit of googling. I am an avid walker also but you are making my feet tired just hearing of all of the walking. My question is...what kind of shoes do you both wear to keep your feet from absolutely falling off? 

3 hours ago, lilbrownie95 said:

Thank you for sharing your amazing trip with us. Your pictures are stunning and I am learning so much from your explanation of everything...I'm doing quite a bit of googling. I am an avid walker also but you are making my feet tired just hearing of all of the walking. My question is...what kind of shoes do you both wear to keep your feet from absolutely falling off? 

I think we each have to find a show that works for us.   I have absolutely FLAT feet since I was a child.  

Years ago I discovered ASICS men's Gel-Venture 7 Trail and Running Shoe.   I like them as they have lots of room at the toes and ball of the foot.  Other shoes squeeze my toes and makes it uncomfortable for all the walking I do.

Iain discovered Sketchers and has stuck with those.

I think I have worn Iain out and he is napping.   As we were getting back to the ship he said I never thought I would say I'm looking forward to a Sea Day   That's what happen when you marry a many 5 years younger then you.   You wear them out.   LOL

Only recommendations I have is make sure you break them in before taking a long walk.   My shoes don't need break in but Sketchers have caused blisters for Iain when not broken in.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

After about an hour I let Emma know it was time to move on.  She was great in modifying our tour to be whatever we wanted.  

With the tap of a button our magic carriage appeared and the doors slid open. Off to tour Bilbao.  It is one of the cleanest cities you will ever visit. 

Wow - thank you so much for the tour of the museum - would love to experience in person!

28 minutes ago, Livestotravel said:

Wow - thank you so much for the tour of the museum - would love to experience in person!

I can’t say I understand modern art but really enjoy myself, albeit more than and an hour is like dragging me out shopping.  

• Like 3

Jim: I loved your Bilbao photos.  It is also one of our favorite places.  We visited there with our kids when one was teaching in Spain 6 years ago, while he was on his spring break.  We went back a few years later prior to a cruise.  It is astonishingly beautiful.

Tom & Judy

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I can’t say I understand modern art but really enjoy myself, albeit more than and an hour is like dragging me out shopping.  

I agree with you about not really appreciating modern art, Jim, but the pictures of everything you encountered at the Guggenheim I thought looked quite fascinating and very enjoyable!  I think maybe I've not given the idea of modern art enough credit. When in NYC several years ago, hubby and I passed on going to the MOMA because we didn't have any interest in that sort of thing... or so we thought! Maybe our tastes have changed - based on your visit to Guggenheim in Bilbao, I'd be willing to give it another try! 🙂 

Edited by nunuc2000
  • Like 2

We usually plot a course to the Central Market.  It usually leads you to an interesting area. 

Apple Maps sent us on a winding route along some interesting streets.  You never know what you will see before arriving at the outside market adjacent to the Permanent Market.

Merchr Aux Hallies in Vieuk Port (Old Port and old historic center of town). 

The building was first opened in April 1835.  

It is fun to just look at the variety of product. 

8A9A02CF-7C3D-449D-9998-F3B83C3AAF71.thumb.jpeg.2fa92e56551fc96be814edecd4460e82.jpeg

E61ABF4D-13C8-49E6-8D30-BC81B5FAEEAE.thumb.jpeg.84520df4a68818eca4cd16f0fe3f0ce6.jpeg

39556F54-669A-4C52-970C-CAF502291E41.thumb.jpeg.f4c1b2c507bc0aafb49868cb13acbc59.jpeg

159FD048-5593-4B05-B09C-8B7AF24C2ED7.thumb.jpeg.0b1ee07d07327db54f313bfccba45506.jpeg

F75AF3E0-9C4B-49F1-8906-6139AF2CCA89.thumb.jpeg.aa6f4f3cf997bf6440acf961f1f1ff64.jpeg

CAB3C622-2C7E-4FCB-B8E6-721B87463E1A.thumb.jpeg.84d25d2293c97965b0e70b34a288f28c.jpeg

• Like 7

Just got instructions for B2B COVID testing 

B2B meeting tomorrow at 9:45 and Testing on Last day (1day prior to end of cruise) at 7:15.  As you can figure Iain is not pleased as he hates early mornings. 

This time we got instructions to create an account.   Last time you needed a login to get results and we didn’t have one so they called with results and then delivered results. 

C1A15041-176F-4B5A-8B33-D3A1155DB537.thumb.jpeg.603c201ad94c330402c3213c49246f57.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Just confirm our 3rd Stateroom attendant is in isolation.   We have had virtually no contact with him.   

it would be nice if we knew if there is a major outbreak.   No news only breed rumors. 

More are masked but 95% unmasked and a big party  tonight.   

• Like 1

Captain George must have read my post.   He just came on and we are about to leave ( a couple hours early so everyone must be on board). 

He just announced more cases have been reported on board and we are now slightly over 1%.   Depending how they count.  If count crew probably 50-60.  

44 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

Someone is reporting on FB that the person airlifted from your TA was taken due to Covid. Have you heard anything more on this?

I would say a word I hate. - Fake News

Linda on our FB thread for the cruise wrote she had a Heart Attack and was home doing well.  She was asking for pictures to see the airlift.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jim: at your last B2B meeting, you reported that Certificates of Recovery are not being accepted for the B2B testing.  Which seems inconsistent with Celebrity's policy of accepting CoR in general.  If you think of it, could you check on that this time, too?

Tom & Judy

26 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Just got instructions for B2B COVID testing 

B2B meeting tomorrow at 9:45 and Testing on Last day (1day prior to end of cruise) at 7:15.  As you can figure Iain is not pleased as he hates early mornings. 

This time we got instructions to create an account.   Last time you needed a login to get results and we didn’t have one so they called with results and then delivered results. 

C1A15041-176F-4B5A-8B33-D3A1155DB537.thumb.jpeg.603c201ad94c330402c3213c49246f57.jpeg

Hi Jim,  Following along with you and Iain and enjoying all your posts and pictures very much.  Just noticed that the Guest Relations Director is Julie Sherrington.  If you have a chance, please wish her a belated happy birthday (April 25th) from Mike and Mary!  Looking forward to sharing the rest of your voyage and meeting you in person one of these days.  Thanks, Mike and Mary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jim and Lain;

I just noticed this thread has 190,000 plus hits. Not sure if that’s a record…, but WOW. I have followed you for the last year or so. Do you find people stopping you to say hi, or grab a selfie ? You both are quite the Celebrities, on Celebrity 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I would say a word I hate. - Fake News

Linda on our FB thread for the cruise wrote she had a Heart Attack and was home doing well.  She was asking for pictures to see the airlift.  

Thank you! Seemed odd so wanted to confirm.

20 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

Well, Happy Cruiser, finally after all of these years you are now in the PS on the revolutionized Summit. I hope that it meets your expectations in spite of all the the ‘Hoppen” design flaws.  As you know, we found it to be wonderful with many great improvements and a few minor misses.  Enjoy every moment of your cruise in that wonderful suite!  The desk in the bedroom serves as a fine substitute for the dressing table and many of the improvements in the suite make up for that loss.  We immensely enjoyed 21 nights in that suite before Covid and counted ourselves very fortunate for every moment that we spent there.  Happy sailing in your “private yacht.”

Well, I don't know when you were on, but the desk in the MBR does not serve as a fine replacement for the wonderful dressing table area.  It has only a European socket and the hairdryer provided has an American plug.  Attention to detail seems to be sadly lacking.  The only American sockets are located on either side of the bed and those bedside lamps are plugged into them.  Seems to me with the gazillion European sockets on board, they should have acquired lights and appliances with European sockets!  The color scheme is restful and light, I'll give her that.  And I suppose all that storage on the floor is fine for Millennials, but it is not helpful for us older folks.  Much of the Hoppencrap decor has been consigned to those bins.

The staff has been absolutely wonderful and they are really what makes the cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1