The Daily for Wednesday 04/06/2022

richwmn

Today is Army Day, Global Day of the Engineer, and Paraprofessional Appreciation Day

Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts.--Winston S. Churchill

Meal Suggestion for today - tomato sandwiches
Drink of the Day - Apple Highball
Wine of the Day - Château Ducru-Beaucaillou 2018 Saint-Julien Borde
Destination of the Day - Cadiz (Seville), Spain

Ships With Passengers

Cabo San Lucas, MX

Zuiderdam  

Colon, Panama

Eurodam   15:00 - 20:00

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida

Nieuw Statendam   07:00 - 16:00

Nassau, Bahamas, New Providence Island

Nieuw Amsterdam  

San Francisco, California

Koningsdam   13:00 -

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Rotterdam   13:00 - 23:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Atlantic

Zaandam   Destination Port Everglades eta 4/14

Freeport, BS

Noordam   Shipyard

Los Angeles, CA US

Westerdam  

Palermo, IT

Oosterdam   Anchorage

0406World.thumb.png.6b5d6d40d1562fa751eb28456369c30d.png
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 14

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

I just got back from walking Bertie.  It's only 3C but supposed to get up to 13C this afternoon.  There was a teen waiting for the school bus wearing shorts!    I was happy I didn't have to wear boots.🙂

Interesting days.  Love the quote.

Tomato sandwiches sounds like something to eat in the summer when the tomatoes are fresh picked from the garden.  We are going to have tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

The drink sounds good.   Looking forward to reading about the wine.

Another port we have not visited, I think it was on a cruise from 2020 that was cancelled.  Oh well, maybe someday.

Prayers for everyone.

Happy Hump Day.

Stay safe.

• Like 28

Good afternoon from a sunny 51°F North East England.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for today's lists.

Nice selection of days today.

Our armed forces do a magnificent job.

Interesting quote.

I will miss on today's food and drink.

We have been to Cadiz on our last cruise a few weeks ago.

Prayers 🙏 always for our care list.

I hope everyone is well.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220406_130008.jpg

Screenshot_20220406_125719.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  Three great days today.  I wonder what's up with Nieuw Statendam, it isn't scheduled to leave Fort Lauderdale until Friday, perhaps a maintenance issue?  I love the Churchill quote.  I visited Cadiz on my 2017 Prinsendam transatlantic.  I'll pass on the Turkey sandwich.  My alternative is  Honey Pineapple, Rack of Lamb, and Black Forest Cake as served on MS Zaandam April 6, 2017:

dishes06.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Rowsby DH 4/1/22
RIP Lebanon PA Lt. LT William Lebo 3/31/22
Strength for Jacqui
Strength for Marshawk and DH
Jam37 DH not feeling well, heading for Covid test
Buddy still having trouble getting food down despite slow improvement
Mr Boston’s sister with shingles
msmayir’s daughter struggling with motherhood
From the rotation:
Jen slow recovery from fall
Welfare of furloughed crews
Hartgrove older sister with aggressive cancer
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

A new mission for Volendam
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with guests
msmayor new granddaughter Lana
Promising scan result for dfish
New meds of potential benefit to Marshhawk DH
A diagnosis and treatment for NextOne Niece
2 days for Heartgrove DW and DSIL (Nieuw Statendam 4/8 to 4/17)
5 days for Cruzin Terri (Nautica 4/11 to 5 /5 plus Rome stay and FINALLY arriving in  Barcelona today
3 days for Oceansaway17 (Wonder OTS 4/8 to 4/15)
Vict0riann(4/9) , Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam to 4/10),  Crazy for Cats (Eurodam  to 4/10) and GTVCRUISER (Zuiderdam t/o 4/13)   at sea
Welcome home  Overhead Fred and  sassy-one
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 8

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich.  Lots of fawns here this lovely morning. Already 70. And boy was yesterday humid! 

Thank you for keeping our lists Roy! Morning Dailyites! After yesterday’s workout, my booster injection site was a bit sorer and the skin around it was red. This morning it no longer is sore, but it is still red. A tiny price to pay to be vaccinated. 

Morning chores, gym & yardwork - weather permitting. Need to work off last night’s meal.  The wine bistro’s wine guru had a very interesting wine tasting to start us off. He paired five different wines with different chips. It was so much fun. And I have never enjoyed a Moscato - unless in Sangria, but that lemon Moscato was absolutely wonderful. Here’s the menu.
FE49F3EA-495F-4D33-8635-F7546E98CF37.png.509598f88695a3b5e8915203097e05ab.png

My favorite chips were the sweet potato & the cauliflower ones. 

A few smiles…

A3B499FD-AF27-48BC-A106-1AFED7A4827D.jpeg.bf25b9f7e1939e39ec9f471e3ba859a8.jpeg

E18F3B2D-7BB1-4D5F-8069-6FD54EE0D985.jpeg.7c761e41e2be28788f78ca5fa3f1fbf9.jpeg

605135F1-D753-4762-8F17-194C28A7BEF2.jpeg.e2265f3a231d70bfdbb15ce2316baf3d.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Château Ducru-Beaucaillou 2018 Saint-Julien Bordeaux
This spectacular wine sounds amazing, and I would love a taste. But it is very pricey. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $190.00 - and that was from some type of wine club. 
Winemaker Notes
Deep, intense, brilliant purple-black color. Vivid and attractive. Aromas redolent of black fruits, hint of graphite and violets.Powerful and elegant structure, fleshy, rich, polished tannins, remarkable length risen by a wonderful freshness. A new standard.  Blend: 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot
WE100
Wine Enthusiast

Vintage 2018 was generous to the style of Ducru-Beaucaillou. The rich character of wines from this estate is enhanced by the ripeness and concentration of this wine. At the same time it keeps an amazing freshness that comes out of the acidity. This wine will go down in the annals of this historic estate. It is not likely to approach drinkability before 2028. Cellar Selection

WS99
Wine Spectator

Another rock 'em sock 'em St.-Julien here, brimming with nearly exotic blackberry, plum, blueberry and açaí berry reduction notes, bristling with brambly energy and racing through a graphite-edged finish. Shows gorgeous perfume throughout, despite the fairly obvious level of concentration. Barrel Sample: 96-99

JS99
James Suckling

Aromas of blackberries, blackcurrants, new leather and bark follow through to a full body with a dense, deep palate that goes on and on, but is still shy and reserved. Large amount of ultra fine, cashmere-like tannins that are silky, sleek and wonderfully integrated. Extremely long and focused. Needs at least four to five years to start opening. A beautiful wine for the cellar. Try after 2027.

RP98
Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The 2018 Ducru-Beaucaillou is composed of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon and 15% Merlot, aged 18 months in 100% new barriques. It has a pH of 3.7, 14.5% alcohol and an IPT (total polyphenol index) of 95. Deep purple-black colored, it has a powerful nose of baked black cherries, blackberry preserves and crème de cassis with nuances of menthol, pencil lead, cedar chest and Indian spices, plus fragrant wafts of violets and licorice emerging after a few minutes. Medium to full-bodied, the palate bursts with impactful black fruits and exotic spices layers, supported by firm, ripe grainy tannins and bags of freshness, finishing on a lingering fragrant earth note. There is a brightness to the wine—surprising freshness—and yet it remains very rich and hedonic, presenting an extraordinary vinous paradox that will blow away fans of this great estate.

JD98
Jeb Dunnuck
The Grand Vin 2018 Château Ducru-Beaucaillou checks in as 85% Cabernet Sauvignon and 15% Merlot that was harvested at the end of September through October 10 and brought up all in new French oak. This is a gorgeous, incredibly complete, classic expression of this terroir, offering a heavenly nose of crème de cassis, cedarwood, unsmoked tobacco, new leather, spring flowers, chocolate, and a touch of chalky minerality. With full-bodied richness, a monster of a mid-palate, remarkable purity, and a great, great finish, it's one of the most concentrated, impressive wines of the vintage, and might also be one of the longest lived. It actually reminds me of an improved version of the 1996 or a hypothetical mix of the 2010 and 2016. For the tech geeks out there, the IPT checks in at a massive 95 and the pH is 3.7.
Rating: 98(+)
D97
Decanter
Extremely complex, this is tight and holds on with an initial austerity. The plentiful tannins layer up right through the palate, but they are sandwiched by gorgeous blackberry and cassis fruits. There's an inkiness and a spice box feel here, with notes of dried herbs, black olive tapenade and graphite, all generously present. The longer the wine stays in the glass, the more the flesh of the fruit takes precedence and yet the wine manages to also convey a St-Julien classicism. This has all the elements to age exceptionally well, and to give great pleasure along the way. 
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 5

Good morning! We survived yesterday’s storms and threat and May experience another round this afternoon. Hump day already! This week is running at warp speed.

Pretty much got everything done yesterday so maybe some research time for our upcoming Hawaii time is in order. Really looking forward to finally getting back after cancelling for the last two years.

May just have a tomato sandwich as I have two large heirloom ripening tomatoes awaiting on the counter. 

Have been to Cadiz a few times so will look through the photo albums.

RIP Bobby Rydell! You see a legend like that who you grew up with and the shocker is he was only three years older then moi!

Thanks Rich and May all of you have a safe and healthy day.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.

I'm heading to the pool in a few minutes and then for my next booster shot.  

I think I prefer my tomato sandwiches with bacon and lettuce.  My mom liked tomato sandwiches with a slice of what she called plastic cheese.   You know that stuff that comes with individually wrapped slices.  I think what matters with tomato sandwiches is the seasoning.  Here is the basic tomato sandwich:   https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/how-to-make-southern-tomato-sandwich/

304552609_tomatosandwich2.jpg.1df005f6bc98a30f1e114316c923d7bf.jpg

It does look refreshing.   Now, we can spruce it up a bit.  This one includes basil pesto and mozzarella.   Sounds good to me.  https://recipeland.com/recipe/v/basil-pesto-fresh-mozzarella-to-51936

1926346909_tomatosandwich3.thumb.jpg.2738b35e07073bd746b18e99eb13406b.jpg

Sometimes just toasting the bread adds to it.  https://www.nutmegnanny.com/summertime-tomato-sandwich/

252315964_tomatosandwich4.jpg.55882c39e68d1b95d69c099e7015418a.jpg

Or melting some cheese over the tomatoes.  https://recipesformen.com/grilled-cheese-tomato-sandwich/

1045099954_tomatosandwich5.jpg.a0a062251677461e3fd8644939c34263.jpg

Or you can go full out gourmet and add anchovies and capers.  https://www.seriouseats.com/anchovy-tomato-basil-aioli-sandwich-recipe

1756232055_tomatosandwich6.jpg.10eeb7b0554696642aa6b140d1584feb.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.   Cheers to those who are celebrating like me!    Wishing you all the best of days.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 9

Happy Hump Day!!  I like the days today.  Interesting Churchill quote.  I love the meal.  When I was young, in my first job, my roommate and I lived on Tomato sandwiches.  Her parents had a farm and would give us lots.  That was all we could afford after rend.

Have not been to the destination, will go back and look at the photo's that have already been posted.

Yea on Terry finally getting to Barcelona.  LONG day of delay's.

Prayers for our care list and a big WhoHoo to our celebrations.

Please continue to stay safe and wear your mask.

Apple Highball:

Ingredients
2 dashes Bitters
1 part Ginger Ale
1 part Apple Cider, Hard
1 part Jim Beam Black®
Garnish with Lemon Wheel

Instructions
Build in order over ice in a tall highball glass. Garnish with lemon wheel.

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 8.20.10 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Good morning and thanks for the update. 
Roy, Nieuw Statendam is having a 2 day wet dock for work on her adipose. Pax are being put up in a hotel for 2 days per another thread. 
    Officer Adams has been released from the hospital. The other officer is still hospitalized in Hershey.🙏

I’ve been to Cadiz 2 times, lovely place to walk around.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.🙏❤️

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Good morning friends!  Glad to see @richwmn Rich made it here to post our Daily.  What we we do if he didn't??😲  The weather is foggy and damp in these parts and about 63F.  We're expecting more storms coming in later.  I just hope things turn around tomorrow because we are soggy enough!  Isn't the Masters starting soon, like tomorrow?  No rain allowed!  Looks like @Cruzin Terriis arriving now in Barcelona.  I hope she and her DH have an easy time gathering luggage and getting to their hotel for a nice nap.  Or maybe they should run out for something to eat and then go to bed early.  Good luck getting dinner in a restaurant before 9 pm!  🕘 

I salute our Army members (my Dad was one).  And a special honor to our engineers who as @grapau27 Graham said design solutions to our most pressing issues.  DH and DS are engineers and have always done a great job.  Cheers to paraprofessionals as well.  Love tomatoes and especially on a piece of toast with bacon, lettuce and a little mayonnaise.  All the recipes look good @dfishDebbie except the anchovies and capers.  Not a fan of the little fishies.  Enjoyed the quote.  Cadiz was last shown here Nov. 5, 2021.  It's often a stop on the Med cruises so of course been there a handful of times.  Not sure what I posted on it last time but will look.

Prayers for all on our Care list and our Ukrainian citizens.  Thanks to all who help them and send supplies.  Praying for peace there.  Cheers to all on the Celebration list and may you all enjoy your happy events and successes.  Thank you @rafinmdRoy for posting the lists for us.   A shout out to @Seasick SailorJoy and Allen in Texas.  Hope all is well there!  Take care everyone!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

A salute to the Army and Engineers. Paraprofessionals are important to teachers and students.

The quote is so true. I love tomato sandwiches. Thank you, Debbie, for the recipes/new ideas. I'll definitely be trying a few of those out. @dfish

Very happy to read that Terri's flight took off last night. Hopefully that is the biggest hiccup of her trip.  @Cruzin Terri

Well, what does DH do when he isn't feeling well? Look at cruises was the answer for yesterday afternoon. We ended up booking our first Celebrity cruise for October 8th. What a great deal...even our TA was in shock. We also looked at a few other cruises for 2023.

Unfortunately DH is sick with what seems like an upper respiratory infection. Covid test was negative which, we are grateful for, but will have done again if he is not better in a couple of days. Thank you for your prayers and to Roy, @rafinmd, for adding him to the list.

Like Bruno, @aliaschief, we are expecting more rain and thunderstorms today. Hopefully Ann, @marshhawk, will get out and back home before the storms begin. Sandi, @StLouisCruisers, how did your area fare yesterday? Stay safe all.

Wishing each of you a wonderful Wednesday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 27

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Our crazy weather continues. Rain coming in again this afternoon

Great quote by Churchill. A big salute to the Army and all of the armed forces. 

Love tomato sandwiches, probably one of my favorite and a definite go to. I like it toasted with cheese and fresh basil. 

Have not been to todays port, Thanks @grapau27 for the pictures.

Spoke with HAL yesterday regarding the Flight Ease Issue, they are working on it. They didn't know what the glitch was, called a supervisor, she couldnt fix it either.  Lucky, I have plenty of time before I cruise, so not worried about flights. I could just book them myself, but with all the uncertainty, don't need any more credits.

@JAM37 Julia, hope DH is feeling better.

Water aerobics this AM and 2 library meetings this afternoon. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

A salute to the Army and Engineers. Paraprofessionals are important to teachers and students.

The quote is so true. I love tomato sandwiches. Thank you, Debbie, for the recipes/new ideas. I'll definitely be trying a few of those out. @dfish

Very happy to read that Terri's flight took off last night. Hopefully that is the biggest hiccup of her trip.  @Cruzin Terri

Well, what does DH do when he isn't feeling well? Look at cruises was the answer for yesterday afternoon. We ended up booking our first Celebrity cruise for October 8th. What a great deal...even our TA was in shock. We also looked at a few other cruises for 2023.

Unfortunately DH is sick with what seems like an upper respiratory infection. Covid test was negative which, we are grateful for, but will have done again if he is not better in a couple of days. Thank you for your prayers and to Roy, @rafinmd, for adding him to the list.

Like Bruno, @aliaschief, we are expecting more rain and thunderstorms today. Hopefully Ann, @marshhawk, will get out and back home before the storms begin. Sandi, @StLouisCruisers, how did your area fare yesterday? Stay safe all.

Wishing each of you a wonderful Wednesday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

Julia, I'm glad that first test for DH was negative but like you said if he doesn't improve perhaps have another one.  Hope he feels better soon.  Meanwhile congrats on the new booking!

We just rained hard all day yesterday.  Thank goodness the newly repaired roof held up fine.  We didn't see any hail or tornadoes around here.  Getting ready for more!  Take care up that way.🙂

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I love the quote. It’s amazing to me how much difference a good aide can make. A tremendous weight has been lifted here. Now my job is to adjust to our new normal. It’s raining today and I’m desperate to get out so I might go play bingo in the club house. I’ve never played here, but the last time I played was on the Zuiderdam where I won a free cruise. Of course by the time we upgraded it wasn’t free.

Prayers for all who need it,

Carol

• Like 32