I Have Covid

MsSoCalCruiser

3 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Maybe in taking your masks up and down while trying to eat/drink you transferred the virus from the mask to your face.  We haven't taken a cruise (waiting for the protocols to go away) but I haven't worn a mask for a year plus in all kinds of situations inside with many people for extended periods of time and never gotten ill.  I am vaccinated with 1 booster so maybe that is why.

I have no idea what happened. I do believe that if everyone wore masks then it would not be transferred as easily. I am also vaccinated with one booster.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@MsSoCalCruiser  so very sorry to hear about your case.  The Discovery is (brand) new and already catching up to the rest of the fleet.

Thank you for being so responsible with testing and trying to keep yourself and others safe.  I self tested 5 times before, during, and after being at sea for 25 days.  I was relieved with each negative test.  

There seems to be a “positive “ correlation between the easing up of restrictions to increasing number of cases.  I am glad more are speaking up.  Everyone should hear their stories. 

In my opinion, Princess is going to relive the Diamond/Grand lesson.  I hope not, but unless they improve things, it looks like a similar path.

Hope your symptoms are mild and you recover soon.  

Malama Pono

Thank you so much.  Thank goodness that you tested negative.

So far I think my symptoms would be considered mild but I am feeling pretty rough and woke up at 4 AM which I never do.  

I wonder if Princess will be transparent and let passengers know how many Covid cases were onboard.  The medallions were not working most of the time so I doubt that they can contact trace.  

Take care and stay well.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I was going to wait about two weeks to make sure I was OK and then I was going to get my second booster.  I am double vaccinated with one booster so hopefully things will go OK. I’m feeling a bit rough tonight.

I also got Covid from my Hawaii cruise on the Grand last month.  I asked my doctor about getting the second booster and she feels that waiting would be better.  She said that someone just recovered from Covid would have increased antibodies for 2-3 months anyway and a booster would not provide much if any benefit during that time.  She recommended waiting until my natural immunity wanes before getting it so as to get the longest protection.  

So you might want to talk with your doctor to see what she/he recommends and then make your decision as to your booster timing.  But please don't just take my word for it, I'm not trying to discourage the booster in any way.  I'm only mentioning that due to your Covid infection, discussing with your doctor might be a good course of action.  

Edited by pompeii
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I have no idea what happened. I do believe that if everyone wore masks then it would not be transferred as easily. I am also vaccinated with one booster.

Maybe not.  Unless everyone is masked up and gets their drinks and food to go and eats alone in their room everyone is still exposed in the dining rooms and bars.  Sip and cover is just encouraging people to touch their masks repeatedly.  Feel better soon.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, dickinson said:

You're partially wrong.  I want masks and based on what I read on CC there are others too.  I'm not inclined to cruise until something changes for the better.  I don't want to be in Princess' quarantine prison nor do I want to get Covid and take the chance of getting long Covid.  It is not just a cold as some people think.

That's your best choice until the virus is completely gone. 

Either that or double mask wearing gloves anytime you leave your cabin. 

27 minutes ago, CruzDayz said:

I’m so sorry to read this and I hope that you are feeling better today. Did you ever say if your friend got it too? 
The Rock Opera was very good but I wouldn’t go to it three times. There were so many songs that I just didn’t understand but I guess that’s the way it is at a opera. 

Get well soon. 

I forced myself to watch it 2 times.

It's just not for everyone. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I wonder if Princess will be transparent and let passengers know how many Covid cases were onboard.  The medallions were not working most of the time so I doubt that they can contact trace.  

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortunes and I hope you get better soon!  The current CDC color code for Discovery is "Yellow."  A "Yellow" level means some positives but less than 3/10 of one percent of all on board.  So, according to the CDC, if there were 2300 passengers, there would be less than 7 positives.  Possibly a few more since they also include the number of positive crew as well.  Twice as many ships are now coded "Orange" which is the next higher level of percentages of positives.

IMHO, it seems to me that the positives are mostly coming from people who are on board for cruises of more than 7days.  Again, get well soon!

• Thanks 1

@MsSoCalCruiser I am so truly sorry about everything (COVID, car, etc....). I appreciate you and others posting you experience as I am sure there are plenty of individuals in similar circumstances that are not as brave to post.

I had a friend return from Europe recently from a river cruise. Several had tested positive in their group. She knew she was exposed. She tested each day for 5 days and finally tested positive on the 5th day (she had symptoms) - and then confirmed with a PCR test. So even if one tests negative once, they may still test positive as sometimes the home kits do not pick it up right away.

I hope you start feeling better soon. Take care of yourself!

If you have a chance - send me an email (link in signature).

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortunes and I hope you get better soon!  The current CDC color code for Discovery is "Yellow."  A "Yellow" level means some positives but less than 3/10 of one percent of all on board.  So, according to the CDC, if there were 2300 passengers, there would be less than 7 positives.  Possibly a few more since they also include the number of positive crew as well.  Twice as many ships are now coded "Orange" which is the next higher level of percentages of positives.

IMHO, it seems to me that the positives are mostly coming from people who are on board for cruises of more than 7days.  Again, get well soon!

I think a lot of people on 7 night cruises are not getting included in the CDC numbers as they tested positive after they get home. Princess is obviously not going to count these numbers.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 10

8 hours ago, antsp said:

N95

My guess is it happened during meals and it is difficult to wear a mask when eating.

At least others have reported that was the only time they were unmasked and they also got COVID.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I wore two masks but about 90% of the passengers wore nothing. My belief is if everyone was masked then there would be less of a chance of getting sick.  I had no problems on our December cruise when everyone was masked.  My opinion.

Thank you for sharing this and were were on the 10 day Majestic over New Years and then just got off this Discovery cruise.  

There was a big difference in comfort level and safety level with the latter cruise basically having few protocols.  On the 10 day cruise we heard almost of no one being sick but on the 7 day California Coastal on the Discovery we started to hear a lot of coughing on the 5th, 6th and last day.  Almost no mask wearing either.  

Princess will be creating a bigger problem for itself as it ships get fuller and more and more people catch the new BA.2.  Last night on the news it noted cities are going back to indoor masking and so are a number of universities as the spread starts to surge again across the US.

I am appreciative of people like you who are willing to share what is happening because Princess is very mum on how it is putting peoples' health at risk without disclosing what is actually happening on its' ships in regards to Covid cases and spread.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I was on the 3/27 cruise on the Discovery and was supposed to be on the 4/3 cruise but I tested positive on day 6.  Like you, we wore masks when leaving our cabin.  I also feel the mask requirement was lifted too soon.  This was our sixth cruise post Covid and the first where masks weren’t mandatory.  

like the other poster, my doctor has recommended I now wait for my second booster because my immune system is the strongest it has been right now.  Hang in there.  Yesterday was day 10 for me and I have now tested negative.  Yah!  Now we just have to wait for the hubby to get over his since I so generously shared it with him.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Coral said:

I think a lot of people on 7 night cruises are not getting included in the CDC numbers as they tested positive after they get home. Princess is obviously not going to count these numbers.

IIRC, those who test positive after their return home are supposed to self-report to their health care provider or local health department.  This in turn would be traceable back to the ship they were on and it gets included in the CDC numbers for that ship.  Princess can't possibly know how many passengers test positive after disembarkation if the passengers don't self-report.  I think in many cases (even on board) those who think they caught Covid don't report it as they don't want to be put in isolation either at home or on board.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

IIRC, those who test positive after their return home are supposed to self-report to their health care provider or local health department.  This in turn would be traceable back to the ship they were on and it gets included in the CDC numbers for that ship.  Princess can't possibly know how many passengers test positive after disembarkation if the passengers don't self-report.  I think in many cases (even on board) those who think they caught Covid don't report it as they don't want to be put in isolation either at home or on board.

On the news the other day - they were saying that those who are taking self tests are not reporting it to their doctors or local health departments. Most of my friends who do the self test are isolating but not reporting it. I think you are right in that regards. 

I am curious if I fly home (across the country) and do report it - would it get traced back to the ship? The cynic is me thinks not.

Also - if the ship doesn't stop in US ports - I doubt they are included in CDC reports. Norovirus was not. Ships sailing in Europe are not reporting their numbers to CDC.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 3

So sorry you got Covid! Boy, it's been a rough time for you.

I'm so torn on what should be happening. Looks like Covid will just be something we have to live with like colds & the flu. I don't think we can have mask mandates and other protocols forever but I also think they do help mitigate the spread.

I'm really getting nervous about my cruise on Sunday but then again, I don't want to be fearful of getting this for the rest of my life that I stop doing things I enjoy because I might catch it. I'm planning on masking up while I'm inside the ship, my travel companion doesn't want to which is fine.

I guess whatever happens, happens, I can only control it to a certain extent.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, antsp said:

Exactly correct, and passenger do NOT want masks

Clearly, there are plenty that do from representative posts and reports.  I wouldn't even hazard a guess at the ratio for wanting and not wanting, but it is not 100% no masking.  I do not really want to vacation wearing a mask most of the time and deal with a lot of Covid cases, so we'll see how things progress over the spring and summer.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

So sorry you got Covid! Boy, it's been a rough time for you.

I'm so torn on what should be happening. Looks like Covid will just be something we have to live with like colds & the flu. I don't think we can have mask mandates and other protocols forever but I also think they do help mitigate the spread.

I'm really getting nervous about my cruise on Sunday but then again, I don't want to be fearful of getting this for the rest of my life that I stop doing things I enjoy because I might catch it. I'm planning on masking up while I'm inside the ship, my travel companion doesn't want to which is fine.

I guess whatever happens, happens, I can only control it to a certain extent.

Same here!  Instead of getting excited for a "vacation", I am getting nervous to board on Sunday!!  I think I would spend my vacation elsewhere next time!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

1 hour ago, Coral said:

On the news the other day - they were saying that those who are taking self tests are not reporting it to their doctors or local health departments. Most of my friends who do the self test are isolating but not reporting it. I think you are right in that regards. 

I am curious if I fly home (across the country) and do report it - would it get traced back to the ship? The cynic is me thinks not.

Also - if the ship doesn't stop in US ports - I doubt they are included in CDC reports. Norovirus was not. Ships sailing in Europe are not reporting their numbers to CDC.

Unless a guest is tested exiting the ship, I don't see how a test after traveling and arriving home could necessarily be attributed to the ship.  Why wouldn't the ship/Princess suggest the guest could have caught it after disembarking (in the customs hall, the transportation, the airport, the airplane, etc)?  That said, I would agree that a LOT of cases are not getting recorded anywhere and there is little to no effective contact tracing. 

• Like 4

So sorry you are sick. I was on the same cruise and tested the morning after I arrived home and was negative and will test again later this week. So far no symptoms. I hope you feel better soon and have no further complications.

• Like 1

I am curious to know why people want Princess to announce the numbers of Covid on board a given sailing.  What good would it do?  You're already on the ship...  If Princess announced only 5 positives on board and later on, the number actually turns out to be 25, would that put Princess in jeopardy of litigation by somebody who contracted Covid?  People need to understand that there is a real possibility of catching Covid on a cruise and make their decisions accordingly.  We have absolutely no idea at all of how many people catch covid during air travel either on a long flight, or at airports etc...  I don't see people complaining that American Airlines isn't giving out numbers of Covid positives on their flights.  

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 10

Just now, ebeluga said:

Same here!  Instead of getting excited for a "vacation", I am getting nervous to board on Sunday!!  I think I would spend my vacation elsewhere next time!

I hope that you still get excited for your cruise. I really believe that sickness thrives on stress. I also know that it thrives on other factors. I try to never touch my face and wash my hands often and not stress. If I get it I will deal with it then. 
Have a great cruise, you will love the ship. 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coral said:

My guess is it happened during meals and it is difficult to wear a mask when eating.

At least others have reported that was the only time they were unmasked and they also got COVID.

So your making the assumption that the masks prevent most cases of covid.

If so you should have ordered you meals to be delivered to the cabin and ate alone.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Clearly, there are plenty that do from representative posts and reports.  I wouldn't even hazard a guess at the ratio for wanting and not wanting, but it is not 100% no masking.  I do not really want to vacation wearing a mask most of the time and deal with a lot of Covid cases, so we'll see how things progress over the spring and summer.

I can't give you an exact percentage but over the past 30 days on the Enchanted there were a very high percentage who chose not to wear masks either indoors or outdoors as they suggested.

Possibly 80 to 90 % at the show lounge went without masks (2 to 4 masked people per aisle) and maybe 99% percent outdoors. I still don't know what they meant by "outdoors" but some of the few paranoid were wearing them by the pool. 

I don't think I saw 5 or 6 people at the trivia shows with masks at any time. I suppose it was because most people were constantly drinking. 

There was also no enforcement of masking by any of the crew.....nor washing of hands except in early March where they requested you to. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I don't see people complaining that American Airlines isn't giving out numbers of Covid positives on their flights.

It's really not the same at all.  The longest flight is about 15 hours and at that time you can leave the plane.  On a ship, especially on long voyages with many sea days, where can you go? You are stuck onboard. There is really no comparison with any other kind of travel or event. Nothing even compares to being on a ship.

I think you are right with saying what would happen if it were announced, they are already on the ship.

But, I think what people want is some transparency.  If I knew there were many employees at a local store that had covid, I might go to another store, and if we knew there were so many cases onboard, maybe we would alter our plan? 

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

So your making the assumption that the masks prevent most cases of covid.

If so you should have ordered you meals to be delivered to the cabin and ate alone.

Considering COVID is airborne, proper masks do prevent many cases of COVID. Nothing is full proof.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 8