Solstice To Replace Millie - Mexican Riviera 2022

Cruising89143

We are on the pacific coastal..so all is well. Sorry if I got this on the mexico thread. We are fine. I would have like to see the millennium, but the Solstice is fine, and we will be on the Beyond in November. Hope all works out for everyone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Since both ships were already out west I’m not sure why they could not have left the Millie alone and moved the Solstice. 

It's all a bit weird and I suspect there are financial reasons at play way beyond Covid. The Millie Holiday cruise (Panama Canal) kept seeing price drops and it wasn't nearly full. A lot of disruption to a lot of people who are understandably upset.

In any case, there really is no "lift and shift" option for us. There is no Eastbound Panama Canal transit (not just doing donuts in the canal) cruise available. Not this year. Not next. The Westbound for the year leaves in 6 days (can't make that) and then you're looking at a Westbound in 2023 which is too far out for us as we'd planned this cruise as our vacation for 2022. So now we're scrambling to figure out what to do for vacation this year and trying to decide if we even want to give Celebrity another chance - because we're sitting on over 1k of OBC and perks (!)

Will be interesting to see what our travel agent comes up with, if she even calls, but I'm guessing our option is to shift to a cruise at full price (no discount or incentive to rebook) or just get a full refund.

2 hours ago, angelhelly said:

People are allowed to be disappointed by this change. People book a certain trip with some expectations. 

No, the Solstice is not a dump. But it is a different experience with different benefits and options.

When I booked, I choose this itinerary and category for several reason

1) Itinerary. We like Mexican Riviera

2) We never sailed on a class M ship

3) The new venue were cool and we liked the Retreat on the Edge. We were excited to try it on a different ship.

4) The Cabin redesign looked real cool. 

Yes, I would be happy to cruise. But I could cruise on a lot of different cruise line or cruise ship with benefits I am looking for.

It's not like we have the option to Sail on the Solstice or nothing.

On a Class S ship, we usually do not do a suite, we do either Aqua or Regular balcony with dining package. The retreat and the lack of specialty dining on the Millie swayed our decision to book a Sky Suite.

And I am not excited by the idea to have a stateroom under the Buffet, where my initial placement was over cellar master.

So yeah. I am glad for you that those changes are not impacting what you were looking for. But for some of us, those changes might impact our decision and I do believe it is a good thing to discuss what those changes are. 

I agree. Solstice is great but I had a nice hump Sky Suite on Millennium and there are no such locations on Solstice.  I also was really looking forward to the Retreat deck as I rarely can afford suites. So while all of this certainly falls within first world problems and so on, I have a right to be a little disappointed as I am getting something other than what I paid for. That said, I'm sure I will enjoy the cruise regardless. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

So while all of this certainly falls within first world problems and so on, I have a right to be a little disappointed as I am getting something other than what I paid for. That said, I'm sure I will enjoy the cruise regardless. 

I agree with you.  In fact almost all problems brought up on this board are first world problems.  But at the same time, this is one of the few places that you should find an empathetic audience when sharing your disappointment.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SusieV said:

I think tickets to Vancouver will be lost anyway. My pacific coastal says you can lift and shift. My Mexico sailing says switched to Solstice.

Unless they're going to deadhead Solstice from Seattle to Vancouver and then do the same sailing? But why not just move everyone over then?

Where do you see you can lift and shift. I went in my cruise planner and everything is the same. 

4 hours ago, mikewomb said:

When I got the email this morning that said these were cancelled, my first thought was we have airline tickets to Vancouver..now what do we do with them. I started looking at another cruise line that does a similar trip, and in the meantime we got a message from our TA that ships had been switch. So yes I thinking people should be thankful they can cruise. When I hear “there is no retreat deck” I am curious if they know you most likely won’t use it on a Pacific Coastal as it is quite cool in September until you get down to S California. Make lemonade people. This is a little glitch in the road. 

In all due respect, no one has the right to tell another person how they should feel. Every person has a reason for choosing the time, ship, itinerary and date for cruising so when changes are made people have a right to express their displeasure. Celebrity does not have a great track record in handling situations like this in a positive manner. It’s great that you’re happy but some have good reasons for being disappointed. The new bookings should have been loaded in the system this morning when the announcement was made. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Since both ships were already out west I’m not sure why they could not have left the Millie alone and moved the Solstice. 

My thought is Millie can fit thru the Panama Canal and do the Caribbean . So Solstice has to stay off California coast. 

4 minutes ago, citruscruiser said:

My thought is Millie can fit thru the Panama Canal and do the Caribbean . So Solstice has to stay off California coast. 

Solstice should be able to go thru the new set of locks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, citruscruiser said:

If the Norwegian Bliss can and has transit the canal at her size then there is no issue with the Solstice. 

6 minutes ago, citruscruiser said:

With the new 2nd canal all ships can go through. Actually 96%  which makes a big difference 

3D28B3B6-4932-491B-8D14-A9096DE40D23.jpeg

28 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

In all due respect, no one has the right to tell another person how they should feel. Every person has a reason for choosing the time, ship, itinerary and date for cruising so when changes are made people have a right to express their displeasure. Celebrity does not have a great track record in handling situations like this in a positive manner. It’s great that you’re happy but some have good reasons for being disappointed. The new bookings should have been loaded in the system this morning when the announcement was made. 

Considering that we have not been on a cruise since January 2020, honestly I am so pleased to get back on a ship in a few weeks. I will say with all that heartache in our world today, honestly we are all very fortunate to be able to take a vacation. Things happen, I understand that more than you have any idea..I look at cruises and wonder if we will able to go in a couple of years. Health issues that would curtail any travel keep us from looking too far in the future. We would like to go back to South American again , but will it be possible? I don’t know. If you were offended by my comment that was not my intention, however as a nation, we are so fortunate compared to others. To me a ship changing is not a big deal. As long as we have the same category of suite we booked. I understand those who had their Asia cruises cancelled is a disappointment. As far as problems with Celebrity, I have only 2 cruises booked through them, and other than one CP things have not been bad. I do prefer a good TA. So if you were offended that was not my intention.

Edited by mikewomb
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I'm sorry for everyone that have their cruises cancelled or shifted to a new ship.  However I'm ready to book the eastbound Panama Canal cruise on the Millennium.  I hope we find out soon some details on this trip.

If for whatever reason it does not work out, keep in mind that Celebrity has a 12day Panama Canal/Sothern Caribbean cruise on EDGE, 11/21/2022 

9 hours ago, pixiedust777 said:

Not thrilled. 
We had a spectacular oversized aft balcony family veranda on the Millie.

The Solstice has nothing comparable as the corner aft staterooms are sky suites.

Will probably cancel.

I'm not thrilled either and also had an oversized aft family veranda.  We picked this cruise because it ended the day another cruise we are going on starts and because of the room, balcony and great price.  The sky suite on the Solstice might not be that bad but the balcony is nothing compared to the Millennium.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

If for whatever reason it does not work out, keep in mind that Celebrity has a 12day Panama Canal/Sothern Caribbean cruise on EDGE, 11/21/2022 

Thanks, I hear you but the partial transit just doesn't seem the same.  It sems like there is going to be a trip from Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale or Miami.  That sounds like a good trip.

9 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

We are booked on the Nov 5th sailing. This cruise is a family cruise so we are booked in Aqua. The down side with Solstice is we wont be able to order off the MDR menu in Blu. Upside I can do glassblowing and we can open up the balconies of our 3 cabins. We were also on Millie last Oct and like the upgrades we saw. Oceanview was a much better layout. June we are booked on Millie in a suite. So Solstice for us will be a nice change.

We sailed on both Silhouette and Equinox in Aquaclass and ordered of MDR menu when we wanted to.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

It cound be because if they bring Solstice back to the Caribbean, it means either a round the world trip  (across the Atlantic) or around South America, as none of the S-Class (or for that matter the E or M) have ever traversed the new canal. Solstice and her S-class sisters won't fit in the old canal and X is not willing to pay to transit the new one. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, crtwms said:

I was booked on Millie for Mex Riviera trip in Nov. When should I expect to see my reservation updated? Will I be able to choose my room?  Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks! 

Doubtful we will be able to choose our rooms, computer will probably assign them

Im guessing after your room is assigned you could probably move to a different room in the exact same category if one is available. 

15 hours ago, mikewomb said:

With the new 2nd canal all ships can go through. Actually 96%  which makes a big difference 

3D28B3B6-4932-491B-8D14-A9096DE40D23.jpeg

Not really correct.  The ships can now easily fit through the new locks.  No problem.  But it is the clearance under the Bridge of the Americas on the Pacific side that is the issue.  That is why only M-Class ships have done the full transit.

16 minutes ago, crtwms said:

I was booked on Millie for Mex Riviera trip in Nov. When should I expect to see my reservation updated? Will I be able to choose my room?  Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks! 

We phoned the # on the email that we received & as usual Celebrity had not advised the Engagement people that this was happening.  No, we could not choose our room just have to wait until they change it over.

6 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Not really correct.  The ships can now easily fit through the new locks.  No problem.  But it is the clearance under the Bridge of the Americas on the Pacific side that is the issue.  That is why only M-Class ships have done the full transit.

A very good point.  I remember that Solstice had her mast modified so that it could be lowered to allow her to sail out of Vancouver under the Lions Gate Bridge

When I looked it up that bridge has a listed clearance of 200 ft.  The Bridge of the Americas has a listed clearance of 201 ft.  However I imagine that the tidal effects are much stronger at Lions Gate which allows Solstice additional clearance during low tide.

6 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

A very good point.  I remember that Solstice had her mast modified so that it could be lowered to allow her to sail out of Vancouver under the Lions Gate Bridge

When I looked it up that bridge has a listed clearance of 200 ft.  The Bridge of the Americas has a listed clearance of 201 ft.  However I imagine that the tidal effects are much stronger at Lions Gate which allows Solstice additional clearance during low tide.

I'm not sure if all S-Class ships have been modified. But Eclipse also was modified to sailing out of Vancouver BC.

Edited by bigbenboys
added info