Flying in on Day of Cruise

Nashto

I think there are many very valid answers already on this sub, and it all comes down to "it depends, and it also depends on how comfortable you are with taking a calculated risk if you choose to fly in the same day of your cruise."

Most of the advice given (from the three pages I've read through) relate to:

-weather/season you're flying in

-current airline cancellation/rescheduling occurrence

-cost

-backup planning for delays

-travel experience

-specific route you're flying and the flight history

I'll chime in with my most recent experience-

I flew in the same day as my cruise to Ft. Lauderdale which was a direct flight from where I'm flying out of in NY. The flight runs with a 98% reliability regardless of season. It's also the earliest flight of the day, and an alternate would be available less than an hour from original scheduled departure (but would include a connection). It was also summer (ish).

In this case, I chose to take the risk and I'm glad I did, I arrived to the port at 11:00am sharp.

On our upcoming cruise, we're flying in two days in advance- mostly because we want a day to explore a new city, and also because its' winter in NY and an entire day that should be traveling could be knocked out due to snow.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 1:42 PM, Nashto said:

My parents plan to fly into Boston for their cruise on the day of. They're plans lands at 1:30. They sail away is 5:30. Do you think I should encourage them to change their flight?

We were cruising from Ft.Lauderdale on a Sunday in December.We had an 8 AM flight from JFK  the day before.The flight was delayed 12 hours because of weather conditions.I would suggest if this is a winter cruise to leave two days prior.

11 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We were cruising from Ft.Lauderdale on a Sunday in December.We had an 8 AM flight from JFK  the day before.The flight was delayed 12 hours because of weather conditions.I would suggest if this is a winter cruise to leave two days prior.

What would the strategy be if it's snowing or freezing rain on Friday?  Leave Thursday or delay until Saturday?  Seems to me that your experience is simply a good example of allowing that one day for unforeseen delays and it all worked out for you.

5 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

What would the strategy be if it's snowing or freezing rain on Friday?  Leave Thursday or delay until Saturday?  Seems to me that your experience is simply a good example of allowing that one day for unforeseen delays and it all worked out for you.

It was not snowing two days before.We were never in Fla and wanted to see as much as possible of the state.We were going to leave Saturday Morning and did not arrive till 11:30 PM Saturday.

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

It was not snowing two days before.We were never in Fla and wanted to see as much as possible of the state.We were going to leave Saturday Morning and did not arrive till 11:30 PM Saturday.

I'd say if you wanted to see as much of the state as you could, planning to fly in the day before a cruise would not be a very satisfactory experience even if the flights were on time.

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely agree that flying in a day early is advisable, but not always possible. NCL flew us in the day of our cruise last September (2021) and we had no problems. We flew in day of cruise on RCL in 2017 because we couldn't get flights the day before. It was either fly same day or cancel the cruise entirely. We were willing to chance it, and we arrived on time. If I have the choice, I'd always prefer to be there a day ahead, but reality is that this isn't always possible.

On 11/6/2022 at 2:10 AM, notscb said:

…..Most of the advice given (from the three pages I've read through) relate to:

-weather/season you're flying in

-current airline cancellation/rescheduling occurrence

-cost

-backup planning for delays

-travel experience

-specific route you're flying and the flight history

Missing from your list is a key item that may surprise those who don’t fly regularly:

If your flight is cancelled by the airline for whatever reason, rebooking any available seats on the next flight(s) are prioritized by price paid and FF status. Yes, it can be days (not hours) before you fly out.

10 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Definitely agree that flying in a day early is advisable, but not always possible. …

…If I have the choice, I'd always prefer to be there a day ahead, but reality is that this isn't always possible.

Actually, it is virtually always “possible”.  What most people mean when they say something “isn’t an option” or is “impossible” - they really mean it might cost them an extra vacation day, or more money than they want to spend.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Actually, it is virtually always “possible”.  What most people mean when they say something “isn’t an option” or is “impossible” - they really mean it might cost them an extra vacation day, or more money than they want to spend.

Yes, I'm specifically referring to several scenarios we've had to deal with: one where the cost of flying in a day earlier was so prohibitive, we couldn't afford it, and another where my wife's vacation time was so restricted, it was either fly in the day of, or not go at all. I can also remember another time where I had a singing engagement on a Friday night and the cruise was on Saturday. Had I chosen to fly a day earlier, I would have had to withdraw from the performance and we need the money I earn from singing. In these cases, we'd always rather take our chances with the same-day flights than forfeit the trip altogether. I look forward to the day we have the time and money (i.e. retirement) not to have to make these choices.

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 8:41 AM, DCGuy64 said:

Definitely agree that flying in a day early is advisable, but not always possible. NCL flew us in the day of our cruise last September (2021) and we had no problems. We flew in day of cruise on RCL in 2017 because we couldn't get flights the day before. It was either fly same day or cancel the cruise entirely. We were willing to chance it, and we arrived on time. If I have the choice, I'd always prefer to be there a day ahead, but reality is that this isn't always possible.

Yes, advisable and I think now preferable.  We have voluntarily flown in the same day many times.  In our younger days we just didn't worry too much about things that might but likely wouldn't happen.  These days, we are somewhat less adventuresome, and prefer to fly in at least one day early.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

What if they don't have an extra vacation day.  I guess technically it would not be an option but still be "possible". 

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

What if they don't have an extra vacation day.  I guess technically it would not be an option but still be "possible". 

At my job they don't allow time off without pay. I try and keep a vacation buffer just in case, but there are times where it's literally a matter of flying in the day of, or not going. I doubt I'm the only cruiser in that boat, no pun intended.

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

At my job they don't allow time off without pay. I try and keep a vacation buffer just in case, but there are times where it's literally a matter of flying in the day of, or not going. I doubt I'm the only cruiser in that boat, no pun intended.

I'm retired now.  Back in my working days, if it were possible to extend days without pay, I don't think I would do that.  Kind of a double whammy, IMO.   And no, I don't think your situation is all that unique.  The many times I've arrived morning of, there are multiple transfer buses shuttling folks from the airport to the pier.  At LHR, I think that count would be in the hundreds.   

When we were younger we used to travel without paying too much attention to the details.   Life seemed a lot easier then.  😀  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ldubs said:

When we were younger we used to travel without paying too much attention to the details.   Life seemed a lot easier then.  😀  

Exactly. When I was younger, I had time but no money. Now I have (some) money, but not as much time. Hopefully retirement will be a better blend of both! 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Exactly. When I was younger, I had time but no money. Now I have (some) money, but not as much time. Hopefully retirement will be a better blend of both! 🙂

All I can say is retirement is better than I thought it would be!  Enjoy! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

When we were younger, many things (especially airline reliability) were different.  

Ain't that the truth.  And travel rules were a lot less rigid. 

• Like 1

You need to weigh up the risks, arriving the day before for a transatlantic would be more risky than many other voyage types as no sensible fall back plan exists.  Booking your flights through the cruise line is more prudent than independent booking yourself.

Regards John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/29/2022 at 2:06 PM, ldubs said:

On 11/29/2022 at 2:06 PM, ldubs said:

Then they should choose a shorter itinerary - the “impossibility” of flying in a day before sailing is their own creation.

55 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Then they should choose a shorter itinerary - the “impossibility” of flying in a day before sailing is their own creation.

Not necessarily. I can think of 10,000 scenarios where a person's choices are limited. Agree to disagree.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think I might disagree.  The cruise they want to take requires flying in the same day.  Additionally,  depending on flight details, I think it an acceptable risk to fly in morning of and enjoy the cruise they prefer.  Of course, there are flights I would never use due to connections, weather, etc.   And, there are other flights I would feel very comfortable using, including nonstops to Europe.   

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Not necessarily. I can think of 10,000 scenarios where a person's choices are limited. Agree to disagree.

I can think of 100,000 - but the number is immaterial.  The fact is that they may have elected an itinerary where options are impossible- the impossibility is their creation:   anyone can do that.

49 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I can think of 100,000 - but the number is immaterial.  The fact is that they may have elected an itinerary where options are impossible- the impossibility is their creation:   anyone can do that.

Well, that is true.  No thing is impossible if the "thing" can be arbitrarily changed  to something that is possible.  Me, I would take the cruise I want and the same day flight that makes it possible.