Flying in on Day of Cruise

Nashto

3 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I personally think two days is overkill.  I don't care if we are late getting into our port city -- we never do anything (except go out to dinner and collapse in the room after a long drive).  

Perhaps you’re missing the main points of extra dayS

(Particularly if you’re talking about intercontinental flights with a connection). At a minimum, see my post #47. If your flight is cancelled, the next flight with available seats may be the next day or even two days later.The luggage issue is also a major concern (reuniting  can easily take at least a day).

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I personally think two days is overkill

Not sure of what your age status is in the span of ages, but, the more senior I have become, arriving 2-3 days early has been an improvement in my cruise experience.  I have time to relax and refresh myself after driving or flying or taking Amtrak.  I am better able to start my cruise in the frame of mind that I wish to have.  

Another advantage of this as early as practical arrival is to enjoy the amenities of the port city.  

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I personally think two days is overkill

Not sure of what your age status is in the span of ages, but, the more senior I have become, arriving 2-3 days early has been an improvement in my cruise experience.  I have time to relax and refresh myself after driving or flying or taking Amtrak.  I am better able to start my cruise in the frame of mind that I wish to have.  

Another advantage of this as early as practical arrival is to enjoy the amenities of the port city.  

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I personally think two days is overkill.  I don't care if we are late getting into our port city -- we never do anything (except go out to dinner and collapse in the room after a long drive).  

Two days probably is overkill - but same day is simply stupid, given current conditions.   But, if you have the time - and particularly if the departure port is worth a visit --why not enhance your trip with a bit of leisure and ground experience?

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 11:57 AM, Wayfairers said:

Lots of questions…

Did they book the flight with the cruise ship company? 
Did they book a transfer from the airport to the ship with the cruise company?

if so, then they should be fine.  If their flight is delayed or cancelled and they booked these with the cruise company my understanding is the cruise company will get them on board….they might miss a port though. 

No, no, no. Last week I spent over an hour trying to rebook flights for two ladies who booked through NCL’s cruise air.  They called for help and said they received none, and that NCL finally hung up on them.  Don’t count on this.

On 6/27/2022 at 8:28 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Two days probably is overkill - but same day is simply stupid, given current conditions.   But, if you have the time - and particularly if the departure port is worth a visit --why not enhance your trip with a bit of leisure and ground experience?

Totally agree. As a working age person, 2 days is not something I can swing right now, and if I could I’d do one of the longer more special itineraries like a Panama Canal…If I were retired, I’d do both. But you couldn’t convince me to fly in same day. Just wouldn’t even consider it as an option these days. 

On 6/27/2022 at 6:28 PM, navybankerteacher said:

8 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

Totally agree. As a working age person, 2 days is not something I can swing right now, and if I could I’d do one of the longer more special itineraries like a Panama Canal…If I were retired, I’d do both. But you couldn’t convince me to fly in same day. Just wouldn’t even consider it as an option these days. 

Before I was an outlier on this subject.  But the way things are now, no way would I do a same day flight.  Not even a one-hour flight from SFO to LAX.  

I've never used a flight scheduled through the cruise line. I wonder if they arrange for flights arriving earlier than the cruise day?     

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

Before I was an outlier on this subject.  But the way things are now, no way would I do a same day flight.  Not even a one-hour flight from SFO to LAX.  

I've never used a flight scheduled through the cruise line. I wonder if they arrange for flights arriving earlier than the cruise day?     

Deviation fee.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

They will if you request it.

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Deviation fee.

or, in the case of NCL, a deviation CREDIT if using the BOGO airfare perk.

Deviation requests up to 2 days pre/post cruise will be credited $25 USD per person per deviation

Edited by hallux
  • Thanks 1

If  I booked my flights thru the cruise line, and missed getting to the cruise port on time, just WHO  would assist  me in getting to the next (1st) port of call, which would be Hawaii,  in 4-5days , after leaving Seattle, for a 23 day TP  cruise? (rhetorical question!)

8 minutes ago, urbanhawk said:

If  I booked my flights thru the cruise line, and missed getting to the cruise port on time, just WHO  would assist  me in getting to the next (1st) port of call, which would be Hawaii,  in 4-5days , after leaving Seattle, for a 23 day TP  cruise? (rhetorical question!)

Valid question - but did it occur to you to also wonder who (if anyone) would take care of housing and feeding you for those 4-5 days (and at what quality level - if someone did pick up the tab)?

Again - do not think of “Flying in on day of cruise” (theme of this thread) as being anything other than stupid.

4 hours ago, urbanhawk said:

I can't see for every cruise line but I have been checking out the "small print" for HAL's Flight Ease and it says:

"Late Arrival Protection

Should guests who have booked their air travel through Holland America Line experience delays en route due to a flight delay or an airline service disruption, such as flight cancellation or flight re-routes, that will cause them to miss their original port of embarkation, Holland America Line will work with the airline to find reasonable alternate flights to the next appropriate port at no additional air cost to the guest.

Factors taken into account in determining the appropriateness of a port of call include, but are not limited to:

-where in the original itinerary the port is located
-airport / port infrastructure
-visas and other legal documentation that may be required
-application of the Passenger Services Act to the new itinerary
-comparability of cost, flight connections, and travel time required (any unused value on the original air ticket will be used to offset the cost of the new air ticket)" 

So, they will "work with the airline" but in my eyes that is different from a guarantee. And if it is cheaper for the cruise line to fly you not to Hawai but the port of call after that, they can.

Also:
"If, due to any cause beyond our control, we are unable to arrange for air travel or the air travel we arrange is unavailable or otherwise fails to materialize, our sole liability will be limited to refunding the air price paid to us. We assume no liability for any acts or omissions of any airline, including, without limitation, those involving cancellation of flights, schedule changes, re-routings, damage to or delay or loss of baggage, flight delays, equipment failures, accidents, pilot or other staff shortages, overbooking or computer errors." 

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Valid question - but did it occur to you to also wonder who (if anyone) would take care of housing and feeding you for those 4-5 days (and at what quality level - if someone did pick up the tab)?

In case of HAL's Flight Ease:

"Overnight Hotel Accommodations

It may be necessary for guests to overnight en route to or from their cruise due to airline schedules and/or availability. If necessary, the cost of hotel accommodations is not included in the air price. Guests are always responsible for meals and items of a personal nature." 

A lot of people seem to think that the cruise line assumes all responsibility (and costs) for a delay, but the small print just seems to suggest that they will do their best but guarantee nothing.

Edited by firsttimer1971
layout
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Again - do not think of “Flying in on day of cruise” (theme of this thread) as being anything other than stupid.

Yes, it did occur to me, so again, just WHO?! I know nobody would. I was actually being sarcastic.😉

I agree with you, and many others,  not to fly in day of cruise. Even for cruising out of Long Beach,  and flying in from Tucson, which is only an hour flight, I would fly in the day before..  Especially, in this day and age...of uncertainty.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, firsttimer1971 said:

I can't see for every cruise line but I have been checking out the "small print" for HAL's Flight Ease and it says:

"Late Arrival Protection

Should guests who have booked their air travel through Holland America Line experience delays en route due to a flight delay or an airline service disruption, such as flight cancellation or flight re-routes, that will cause them to miss their original port of embarkation, Holland America Line will work with the airline to find reasonable alternate flights to the next appropriate port at no additional air cost to the guest.

Factors taken into account in determining the appropriateness of a port of call include, but are not limited to:

-where in the original itinerary the port is located
-airport / port infrastructure
-visas and other legal documentation that may be required
-application of the Passenger Services Act to the new itinerary
-comparability of cost, flight connections, and travel time required (any unused value on the original air ticket will be used to offset the cost of the new air ticket)" 

So, they will "work with the airline" but in my eyes that is different from a guarantee. And if it is cheaper for the cruise line to fly you not to Hawai but the port of call after that, they can.

Also:
"If, due to any cause beyond our control, we are unable to arrange for air travel or the air travel we arrange is unavailable or otherwise fails to materialize, our sole liability will be limited to refunding the air price paid to us. We assume no liability for any acts or omissions of any airline, including, without limitation, those involving cancellation of flights, schedule changes, re-routings, damage to or delay or loss of baggage, flight delays, equipment failures, accidents, pilot or other staff shortages, overbooking or computer errors." 

In case of HAL's Flight Ease:

"Overnight Hotel Accommodations

It may be necessary for guests to overnight en route to or from their cruise due to airline schedules and/or availability. If necessary, the cost of hotel accommodations is not included in the air price. Guests are always responsible for meals and items of a personal nature." 

A lot of people seem to think that the cruise line assumes all responsibility (and costs) for a delay, but the small print just seems to suggest that they will do their best but guarantee nothing.

FWIW: Never hurts to keep pointing this out to folks who either don’t read the fine print or don’t understand that “work with the airline” does NOT mean that the cruise line will pay for anything that is a problem it (the cruise line) did not directly cause.

Unfortunately, you must assume the worst when reading fine print and only in that type of mindset can you truly understand what it says. Such as the phrasing "next appropriate port" which most of us will assume means the next port on a journey but that might not be the case. 

• Like 1

To me it was never about the fine print, though that might be more important today with all the flight snafu's.  Before, it was pretty easy to arrange for same day flights for many itineraries with little need for concern.  Now days, cancellations and delays seem to be the norm.   My whole outlook has changed, at least for cruises. 

PS: I suspect the travel insurers' loss ratios are going to take a beating this year.   

Edited by ldubs

On 7/8/2022 at 7:38 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

FWIW: Never hurts to keep pointing this out to folks who either don’t read the fine print or don’t understand that “work with the airline” does NOT mean that the cruise line will pay for anything that is a problem it (the cruise line) did not directly cause.

Agree and will point it out again.  Those that think that booking air through a cruise line will protect you from airline snafus and get you to your cruise are horribly mistaken.  These days, if the airline cancels your flight, there is a fair chance you will miss your cruise....perhaps completely!   Depending on your ship's itinerary, rules at the ports, and whether you have a valid passport, you may find yourself completely out of luck.  The cruise line will generally get you back home but will likely try to get you to accept a Future Cruise Credit rather than give you a refund (this is usually negotiable).

For perhaps the 50th time we will point out that the airline situation in both the USA and Europe is a mess!  Thousands of flights have been cancelled, airports are overwhelmed and often lose or delay luggage delivery, connections are routinely missed with no available alternative flights for days, etc.  There are only a few things that folks can do to minimize their risk. 1.  Take non-stop flights!  Even if you must drive many hours to get to an airport with a non-stop it is worth the driving hassle.  2.  Avoid the most troubled airports.  Now that would include Heathrow (LHR) and Schipol and Charles de Gaulle.   In the USA your best bet is to book the earliest flights of the day between major hubs.  The secondary airports and commuter airlines seem to be getting the worst of the current crew crises.   Also consider using airports that have numerous daily flights to your destination.  If your flight gets cancelled this will increase the chances of being able to get on a later flight.

Hank

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Flying  in on the day of the cruise is a definite NO for us.  We only did it once; at 10.30 the night before our flight at 09.30 the next day, the airline sent me a text message which simply said " your flight has been cancelled ".

Spent hours on transatlantic  phone calls.  Turned out there  was expected to be gales at the arrival airport; the original flight was on a small-ish aircraft which would have been buffeted about on approach.

Eventually got rebooked onto a flight which meant we had to leave immediately to get to the airport for a very early flight, which would arrive before  the high winds struck.

Had to loiter around Amsterdam Schipol for 8 hours as we then arrived early.  

Even now,  being able to drive to the port, we're heading off the day before  and overnighting in  a hotel near the terminal. 

• Like 2

You also have to consider your alternative options as to how you can get into your destination airport and how you can connect w your cruise if you miss it.   We recently did a cruise out of Sitka.  There are not a lot of flights into Sitka and there was no way we could easily connect the cruise after it left Sitka.  We had 1 free night in Sitka before the cruise and we booked a flight that got us into Sitka 3 days before the cruise.  In fact we did not have any flight problems and Sitka is a town where you can easily spend several days so it was a win-win situation for us.

DON

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

i remember watching one of those airline serial programmes in the UK where passengers had been booked onto a flight to a specific European port city to embark the ship same day for a short Mediterranean fly-cruise.  Unfortunately the flight was overbooked and the airline ground staff knew this but let them sit there and miss the flight.  no other flight was available later in the day.  When they complained an alternative flight was booked for the following day to the first port the ship was due to call at. All this was filmed.  We then saw a film of the couple sitting in a shelter in the pouring rain with the ship coming in to the first port of call.  The wind was strong as the rain was coming down sideways.  Next we see the ship turning around and sailing off in the distance as the sea was too rough to dock.  What a disaster!"

Regards john

• Haha 2

If you really like living on the edge book a Transatlantic voyage e.g.  Southampton to New York.  Fly in to the foreign country on the day of embarkation.  Book through a cheap ticket agency on a flight plan than has an intermediate stopover at a third party foreign country such as Switzerland although two stopovers would be more exciting, say Switzerland and Finland.  Make sure that the airline involved is different for each this increases excitement of whether your luggage will turn up as they don't apply as much effort in transferring your cases to the next flight with a different airline.  The stopover should be of an absolute minimum of time for added interest because you may have to collect your luggage and rebook it for the next flight where the carriers are at variance. Finding the new gate at the stopover airport is also a good challenge to take on.  Finally if you fail to get to the embarkation port in good time and miss the ship you may fly direct to the destination port and get there nearly a week sooner than all the other  people who are stuck on the ship.  

Edited by john watson
  • Haha 3

On 6/27/2022 at 7:44 PM, rkacruiser said:

I'm mid-50s and still adjusting to retirement ... not that it's a burden!  I agree that arriving early to enjoy amenities in the port city is a nice idea, but an evening is enough for me to achieve a "cruise frame of mind".  More than an evening would just be a bonus.

On 6/27/2022 at 9:28 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Well, that's blunt but not wrong.  

One day is absolutely necessary and the cheapest /most effective insurance you can buy.

More is nice but not always possible for people in the work world.  

• Thanks 1