Canadian Requirements For Alaska Cruises that have transient stops in Canada

stevenr597

We are aware, as of this date, for testing requirement when boarding a Princess cruise ship from a U.S. Port that will be touring Alaska. 

Foreign flagged ships do require at least one stop in a foreign port, and Discovery Princess will have a 1/2 day stop in Victoria, Canada. In addition, we are scheduled to take a combination Bus and Railroad trip which will travel (briefly) into Canada, but will return back to the ship.

Does this change the requirement from the Antigen test from 3 days to 2 days.

Princess is unclear in respect to this.

Just now, VibeGuy said:

There is no requirement for testing for entering Canada or the US by land for the vaccinated.  Which makes the Skagway call with BC/Yukon a non-issue. 

Thanks for the answer... 

36 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

In addition, we are scheduled to take a combination Bus and Railroad trip which will travel (briefly) into Canada, but will return back to the ship.

I don't think excursions have been updated yet, but WP&Y Railroad is not running the routes across the border to Canada this year 😢.  It could possibly be bus trip up & back now, that was what they did with us in 2018 when they couldn't run the train.

https://khns.org/yukon-relaxes-border-rules-for-tours-but-not-enough-for-white-pass-and-yukon-route-railroad

https://wpyr.com/excursions/

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nini said:

It is so very sad the the White Pass train will not be running this year! We have really enjoyed our time on the train in previous years.

Train is running, just not all the way into Canada.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

We are aware, as of this date, for testing requirement when boarding a Princess cruise ship from a U.S. Port that will be touring Alaska. 

Foreign flagged ships do require at least one stop in a foreign port, and Discovery Princess will have a 1/2 day stop in Victoria, Canada. In addition, we are scheduled to take a combination Bus and Railroad trip which will travel (briefly) into Canada, but will return back to the ship.

I gave you a very "short", lol, reply in the COVID thread

14 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

No.  As you can see, the testing only changes if you EMBARK in Canada

Testing requirements for voyages departing from the U.S. are as follows:

Vaccination Status

CDC Definition

Pre-Travel Test-Type

When to Take Test Before Boarding

Fully Vaccinated

Received primary series of COVID-19 vaccines with final dose at least 14 days before embarkation

Antigen

Within 2 days

PCR

Within 3 days

Up to Date

Received all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible at least 7 days before embarkation

Antigen

Within 3 days

PCR

Within 3 days

Not Vaccinated

Not fully vaccinated

PCR

Within 3 days

As an example, for a fully vaccinated guest sailing on Sunday, the two-day antigen test may be taken on Friday or Saturday, and as late as Sunday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in.

Fully vaccinated and up to date guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test along with proof of vaccination upon arrival in the terminal and can then proceed on board.

Guests who have been approved for a vaccination exemption will be advised of additional requirements, including an embarkation day COVID-19 test performed at the terminal. For guests ages two to four years old this includes the pre-travel test outlined above, plus an embarkation day COVID-19 test performed at the terminal (on a complimentary basis).

Voyages that embark in Canada:
Based on current Canadian requirements for cruising, all guests ages five and above will require a medically observed negative viral COVID-19 test result taken before boarding:

• Within 2 days for Antigen
  • Within 72 hours for PCR

41 minutes ago, railman said:

We are on a similar cruise and am wondering the same.  Do we need to test within one day or three days?  Do we need to fill out the visit Canada application?

Voyages that include Canada:
In addition to your health questionnaire, within 72 hours of embarkation the Canadian government requires guests to sign into ArriveCAN^ from a computer or download the mobile app to enter your proof of vaccination and travel information. You will receive an ArriveCAN receipt. Please bring a digital copy of the email or print your receipt to bring with you when you travel.

1 hour ago, railman said:

We are on a similar cruise and am wondering the same.  Do we need to test within one day or three days?  Do we need to fill out the visit Canada application?

Yes you will need to fill out the ArriveCAN app before boarding the ship

• Like 1

You need to fill out the AriveCan form. I do not think the testing requirement changes though I need to reread the AriveCan document again to make sure I did not miss something.

I received an email from Princess regarding the April 30th cruise to Alaska which contained in the subject line the words "Emergency Notification"

It had attached a pdf file similar to the Travel Summary with the text the follows below in the middle of the document. (Note that a friend who is booked on the same cruise via a big box TA did not receive the email).

"IMPORTANT NOTICES
IMPORTANT REMINDERS FOR YOUR CRUISE

It's almost time for your cruise vacation! Please make sure you remember to:
- Download the MedallionClass app to complete all required check-in items.
- Complete online cruise check-in and the mandatory Health Questionnaire (MUST
be completed by each guest at least 24 hours before your cruise).
- Bring your original proof of COVID-19 vaccination and acceptable proof of a
negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken before of embarkation (for guests 2 years and older). For required timing and details, please
visit https://*****/pcl_ustest
- Select an arrival time to the pier on the MedallionClass app. For the health
and safety of all, do not arrive prior to your assigned check-in time or you will be asked to return at the correct time.
- The ability to go ashore in ports of call is controlled by the ports we
visit and may depend on your vaccination date and booster status.
- complete ArriveCAN at https://*****/arrivecan in advance of your cruise
and enter proof of vaccination and travel information.

Thank you for your attention to this notification.

It's almost time for your cruise vacation! Please make sure you remember to:
- Download the MedallionClass app to complete all required check-in items.
- Complete online cruise check-in and the mandatory Health Questionnaire (MUST
be completed by each guest at least 24 hours before your cruise).
- Bring your original proof of COVID-19 vaccination and acceptable proof of a
negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken before of embarkation (for guests 2 years and older). For required timing and details, please
visit https://*****/pcl_ustest
- Select an arrival time to the pier on the MedallionClass app. For the health
and safety of all, do not arrive prior to your assigned check-in time or you will be asked to return at the correct time.
- The ability to go ashore in ports of call is controlled by the ports we
visit and may depend on your vaccination date and booster status.
- complete ArriveCAN at https://*****/arrivecan in advance of your cruise
and enter proof of vaccination and travel information.

Thank you for your attention to this notification."

Hope posting this here helps.

Edited by brisalta

3 minutes ago, enyliram said:

will there be princess agents at the pier in seattle to assist with the arrivecan registration forms if i am not able to do this in advance

I think you need to ask a Princess representative that question.

Both Customer Relations & my Cruise Vacation Planner have emailed me that I "can take an Antigen or PCR test within 3 days because (you) are fully vaccinated and boosted."

Yes I saved the email for boarding Saturday. (Did antigen test at 9, got negative results at 10, all packed now 😁)

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, enyliram said:

will there be princess agents at the pier in seattle to assist with the arrivecan registration forms if i am not able to do this in advance

I don't think agents at the pier would know what to do, and then you have the time factor, too.  It is best to do it at home.  Are you able to download the ArriveCAN app?  You can use ArriveCAN online, too.  Once you get your ArriveCAN account set up, you can upload your proof of vaccination and passport info, then wait until about 4 days before you embark in Seattle to enter your cruise info and quarantine plan.  It would be great if you have someone near you to help you.  I will provide you with the ArriveCAN website, the ArriveCAN help website, and the ArriveCAN help toll free phone number for Canada and USA.   I hope this helps. 

Here is the ArriveCAN link:  

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html#a3

ArriveCAN Help link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan/help.html

ArriveCAN toll free phone number for Canada and USA:

1-833-283-7403 (toll-free from Canada or the U.S)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, enyliram said:

The agents at the port are not generally Princess employees. You would have to hope that the port has done some extra training

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike & Zen said:

I don't think agents at the pier would know what to do, and then you have the time factor, too.  It is best to do it at home.  Are you able to download the ArriveCAN app?  You can use ArriveCAN online, too.  Once you get your ArriveCAN account set up, you can upload your proof of vaccination and passport info, then wait until about 4 days before you embark in Seattle to enter your cruise info and quarantine plan.  It would be great if you have someone near you to help you.  I will provide you with the ArriveCAN website, the ArriveCAN help website, and the ArriveCAN help toll free phone number for Canada and USA.   I hope this helps. 

Here is the ArriveCAN link:  

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html#a3

ArriveCAN Help link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan/help.html

ArriveCAN toll free phone number for Canada and USA:

1-833-283-7403 (toll-free from Canada or the U.S)

Mike & Zen, thank you for the information. I called the phone number you provided and spoke with a nice agent and Yes we do have to set up a ArriveCan account and upload our vaccination cards etc. on the ArriveCan AP or on the web site prior to your cruise out of Seattle. 

6 hours ago, Ombud said:

Both Customer Relations & my Cruise Vacation Planner have emailed me that I "can take an Antigen or PCR test within 3 days because (you) are fully vaccinated and boosted."

Yes I saved the email for boarding Saturday. (Did antigen test at 9, got negative results at 10, all packed now 😁)

Hey I do not want to hear you left a pile of dog hairs on the ship when I board on the 30th 😉

Have a great time!!

• Haha 1