Reported symptoms on health assessment, now getting cancellation message. Help!

KmomChicago

5 hours ago, crusin okie said:

Just as a point of clarification.  These health assessments are not necessarily Covid related.  We have been filling them out ever since our first cruise in 2007.  

Hope you are able to board without incident.

yes, but they have drastically changed.

pre-covid they typically asked for a fever plus a symptom. So if you have a fever AND cough you said yes, just cough, no.

not sure why the OP is so adamant that they had a cold and not covid. The symptoms are mostly the same. Can’t tell you the number of people I ran into in 2021 who said ‘I just have a cold’ and then took a covid test and was positive. If you have a respiratory illness with the listed symptoms you should mark yes. The health check is doing what’s its supposed to.

now, if you have a pre-existing known condition; like allergies; I wouldn’t flag symptoms. I have allergies and can’t mix that up with a virus. The symptoms are different.

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

pre-covid they typically asked for a fever plus a symptom. So if you have a fever AND cough you said yes, just cough, no.

not sure why the OP is so adamant that they had a cold and not covid. The symptoms are mostly the same. Can’t tell you the number of people I ran into in 2021 who said ‘I just have a cold’ and then took a covid test and was positive. If you have a respiratory illness with the listed symptoms you should mark yes. The health check is doing what’s its supposed to.

now, if you have a pre-existing known condition; like allergies; I wouldn’t flag symptoms. I have allergies and can’t mix that up with a virus. The symptoms are different.

Because I caught it from my teen who took one of the free government tests and was negative, and because my symptoms were identical I did the same thing and also tested negative. And then of course two days ago I did another test, the official NAAT test for the cruise which was also negative. And by the way I’m not sick anymore. 

And I do also have allergies and like many I can become congested at any time and it could clear up an hour later, or last weeks. Rinse and repeat.

Next post I’ll explain what happened at port today. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Read post #5 - she had already tested negative.

7 hours ago, sanger727 said:

So everyone else with symptoms, even with the negative covid test she had, should report their symptoms but you alone have allergies. So no need for you to report. Got it. However, most allergy and virus symptoms are interchangeable. Everyone reacts differently.

• Like 2

Good morning. We were quite exhausted after dinner and turned in early, skipping all the evening activities. I have just slept a deep solid  6 hours or so, and it’s 3 am now. 

We got to port and the line was very long outside the terminal. Weather was perfect, sunny and comfortable temperature. As we got toward the entry door there were two lines. 

One line was for those with pre check in complete and the other for “all others.” However we also asked and were told that line was for wheelchair assistance. So we went to the normal queue side. At the kiosk with the pre check attendant there was a sign with the health assessment questions referencing the past ten days (website questionnaire asks about 14 days, plus I filled it out 3 days prior so I was working out my answers for 17 days prior to the cruise, a full week further back than the assessment at port. 

I was of course flagged as we all expected, though she said the Covid test was fine and after a brief discussion about the assessment she sent us through. I thought that was it but as you’ll note here in a moment it wasn’t and I was still flagged at this point and possibly even given an extra flag.

We went through normal security and up to the actual check in desks. This person looked at the screen a few moments and said she needed to check something and went off with my boarding pass. When she returned she said we needed to go to “medical.” 

At this point I actually still assumed the first clerk had fully cleared me and we thought they were taking me over to do the pre-booked vaccine I had scheduled as a last minute backup plan. 

Not so. We were handed over to the now third attendant who said (here’s where a humble normal citizen starts to believe she’s somehow spontaneously morphed into a James Bond villain):

”Hello, Kmom. We’ve been waiting for you.

”We got the call from downstairs that you tried to go through the normal checkin without a completed health assessment.”

I politely explained the website had locked up on me and that I actually wasn’t sure whether it was considered complete or not, that I had spoken to two Carnival representatives from home who told me to just go to port and show the Covid test. 

She obviously didn’t want to waste a lot of time arguing with me but explained that I locked up because I answered yes to ALL the symptoms at which point I said, “That’s wrong, that’s simply not what I did. I said yes to congestion and possibly sore throat because it asked for 14 days out which I did have a cold more than ten but less than 14 days ago.”

She said it’s right here. ALL the symptoms say yes. Shortness of breath, and she ran through a couple more and I just said No. No. No. I didn’t check any of those. 

And at this point she also read the Covid test results and then said something indicating she was not going to further debate what I claimed I checked or did not check, handed me all the paperwork and sent me back to checkin. Things were now normal, we were cleared, my husband was duly irritated as we’d barely slept and had a very long shuttle ride and we were both tired and crabby as I’d also expected. 

Anyway from that point it was just the requisite photographers then the gangway and then to the room, self-muster, a Fun Ship drink and business as usual. 

Actual sail away was delayed two hours which I assumed was due either to the extremely bad traffic getting to port from Houston or more than usual calls for people to get to their muster stations. 

But sitting here now in the dark after some rest with clearer thinking, I guess it’s remotely possible that situations like mine could add one more headache (also a listed symptom but not one I selected) as the ship staff are obtaining clearance to sail. Perhaps they have to go through, row by row, details of problem passengers and how they handled us. 

I never intended to be a troublemaker here. Someone mentioned common sense earlier, as in suggesting I should have had the common sense to know that I SHOULD NOT have answered as I did, common sense to know I was just going to cause problems for myself and everyone else unnecessarily. 

I can’t help but agree.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

So everyone else with symptoms, even with the negative covid test she had, should report their symptoms but you alone have allergies. So no need for you to report. Got it. However, most allergy and virus symptoms are interchangeable. Everyone reacts differently.

you don’t have allergies then. Allergy symptoms and virus symptoms may look the same on paper. But the experience is totally different.

This was the case on our November cruise and I asked the question here. Answering No to any symptoms is the way to go. Seriously, the symptoms of Covid include everything that exists including breathing. 

I am glad you made it on. 6 months makes a difference. Back in November, once that message comes up, you were already removed from the cruise. But it was different back then as well.

Edited by bigrednole
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bigrednole said:

This was the case on our November cruise and I asked the question here. Answering No to any symptoms is the way to go. Seriously, the symptoms of Covid include everything that exists including breathing. 

I am glad you made it on. 6 months makes a difference. Back in November, once that message comes up, you were already removed from the cruise. But it was different back then as well.

Thanks Big Red. I have not been checking the boards enough or might have known better.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Both times I was exposed to covid at work it was people who thought they had allergies.  One only found it out was covid because of mandatory testing in the office. The second after coming to work for two days with allergies woke up the third day with no sense of taste or smell and then tested positive. 

So I don't trust anyone who says its just allergies or a cold.  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, pohlerbear said:

Both times I was exposed to covid at work it was people who thought they had allergies.  One only found it out was covid because of mandatory testing in the office. The second after coming to work for two days with allergies woke up the third day with no sense of taste or smell and then tested positive. 

So I don't trust anyone who says its just allergies or a cold.  

And yet the only reason I tested with what I thought was my usual allergy symptoms because of the high pollen count  was my eyes were not itching like I would expect.

Yes, it was a very mild case of break through covid.

Today my nose if congested, my eyes are itching and the pollen count is high.  It is an allergy.

2 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Thanks Big Red. I have not been checking the boards enough or might have known better.

Its all good. I am glad you got to go. I think the health questionnaire is far to vague during covid. Unless it is covid, select No to any symptoms. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sanger727 said:

you don’t have allergies then. Allergy symptoms and virus symptoms may look the same on paper. But the experience is totally different.

I am going to call BS on this one.  I have allergies.  Have had them all my life.  There are many times when I have an allergy attack and am unsure for hours or days if it is allergies or a virus coming on. will sometimes spike a fever with a running nose, congestion in head, sore throat and upper respiratory symptoms.    This can happen despite me taking a daily allergy pill.

When I got Covid I thought I had strep or a bad cold virus for a couple of days.  After several days of misery I took a home test, and it was negative. Symptoms abated and I went back to work.  After three days of feeling progressively crappier each day, I took another home test and it was positive. Went to Walgreens and took their PCR test and it was positive.  Never had a fever with covid.  Got a cold from our March cruise that turned into bronchitis- and never had a fever.  Had an allergy attack from (assuming) tree pollen last week and had a low grade fever for two days.  

It just depends on individual folks and their immune systems. 

KMom, I filled out my husband's health screening questions in March- and I KNOW I answered them that he had no symptoms and no exposure.  It did not lock up.  BUT- when we got to port he was flagged and they said he had answered positively for exposure and some symptoms.  No possible way- but he had to go through an extra screening with a supervisor and they took his forehead temperature (LOL) and waived him through with his negative test. 

I agree you should have known answering honestly was going to draw extra attention to yourself, but no way to know it was going to turn into quite the fiasco it did... AND it was still the right thing to do.  There are plenty of folks lying about symptoms on the survey and getting on the ship  and spreading illness around.  You did the right thing and  I am really glad you're on your cruise enjoying it now!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This happened to me on Holland America.  when I talked to them and explained.  They told me to come to the port and give them the information and be ready to be retested.  I went to the port and explained and they said fine.  went right thru the normal process and got on the ship.  But they really had ne worried before I went to the port.

• Like 1

So this turned out to be an actual flag on your booking? I have the exact same "warning" when I view our Health Assessment but I answered no to every question. Now I'm wondering if my fat fingers messed something up??

I read this more as a notice and not a flag.

9 hours ago, El Tejon said:

So this turned out to be an actual flag on your booking? I have the exact same "warning" when I view our Health Assessment but I answered no to every question. Now I'm wondering if my fat fingers messed something up??

I read this more as a notice and not a flag.

Oh I was absolutely flagged. The first clerk’s litter tricorder device gave her a red screen with the words NOT CLEARED.  

However the moral of the story is we did get through and it delayed embarkation maybe 20 minutes.

My health assessment and pre check NEVER showed completed on the website so there’s the difference. It kept telling me to complete my health assessment but that was locked and I couldn’t proceed. The clerk I talked with on the phone said once locked it has to be straightened out at port. They can’t unlock at that point. However they did sort of minimize the inconvenience saying your negative Covid test will be all you need to clear at embarkation. 

if your health assessment is complete, you’re not flagged.

Edited by KmomChicago

On 4/22/2022 at 2:29 PM, Homosassa said:

Actually, no.

We were cruising north to the port of Tampa along the coast of Florida. We were close enough that the various lights on the coast could be seen from the ship. 

We probably was close enough to enter the ship's channel for Tampa around  3AM.

Wind was blowing at 20 mph out of the east (per navigation channel); i.e.; across the entire Florida peninsula from east to west and out to where our ship was cruising along the coast. 

So, yes, I thought it may have been pollen as it was tree pollen season here on the west coast of Florida.

It was the fact that my eyes weren't itching that made me wonder. And the Covid symptoms were so mild that that they were gone by Sunday (left ship on Friday morning).

I was going to post something similar, but got distracted.

When heading back to Port Canaveral and swinging past Miami / The Keys, the ship is going to be close enough to the mainland that an offshore breeze could easily get to the ship.  And pollen carries.  And carries. 

Or there could be allergens floating to you from all those islands that seem to populate the Caribbean / Bahamas.

I'm pretty sure I've had that happen to me on a previous cruise as we've returned to PC (pre-COVID).

So it is perfectly plausible to suffer allergy symptoms while still "out at sea", because it isn't like you are in the middle of the Pacific half-way to Hawai'i, with no land for hundreds & hundreds of miles.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

5 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

It was a joke but okay.

You have to remember that some people are going to take things literally, and not as a joke. Sometimes putting a 🤣 there might help them realize that you were not being serious.

23 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Oh I was absolutely flagged. The first clerk’s litter tricorder device gave her a red screen with the words NOT CLEARED.  

LOL - couldn't she just pull out the little hand held medical scanner and clear you?