From 1st May no complimentary Pre Boarding Covid tests

suttonrunner

Has anyone received any advice on what is acceptable to Azamara for an antigen test? I cannot find anything on their website. We were recently on a Marella cruise that had a similar requirement to provide a negative test but a diy test that you took then sent a photo to the testing authority who then issued a negative certificate was acceptable (and was actually promoted by the cruise line). I know some other posters want to use these types of tests, as would we, as they are cheaper and much more convenient but don’t want to purchase them if they are not acceptable.

10 hours ago, uktog said:

Cant they "proctor" them at the port -  they can watch me do it, I will bring the test

Sure, they can instead charge you $59 for the labor, documentation, and oversight fee. It would still require an additional labor expense they can’t justify giving away.

20 hours ago, laurieb said:

No matter when the change is made, someone will be inside final payment…

Not if it is announced to start 120 days after the announcement.

Other changes been announced with a considerable time lag between announcement and implementation, so why not this?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mdpa said:

Sure, they can instead charge you $59 for the labor, documentation, and oversight fee. It would still require an additional labor expense they can’t justify giving away.

It was included in the original price, it's no longer a legal requirement (so CL choice) and is a rip off for a £1 test.... So yeh, they can't justify the lavish nickel and diming IMHO.

If the cost of the test has gone up, then fair enough, but it hasn't. These tests are cheap even for every guest.... Though it now becomes a lovely $$$ kerching bonus.

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 4:55 AM, Leo_On_Geo said:

what happens on B-2-B (or in my case 4 cruises)?.  Do  I have to pay for a test each leg?

We are doing B 2 B cruises in August so I checked Azamara’s present policy and also rang Azamara .I was advised that you would require a test between the two cruises but it would be “complimentary “. I asked the Azamara  rep. if that was definitely still the case in light of the post May 1 change to Covid testing. There was a pause but he said  as far as he was aware it would be complimentary between cruises.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hamwen3839 said:

We are doing B 2 B cruises in August so I checked Azamara’s present policy and also rang Azamara .I was advised that you would require a test between the two cruises but it would be “complimentary “. I asked the Azamara  rep. if that was definitely still the case in light of the post May 1 change to Covid testing. There was a pause but he said  as far as he was aware it would be complimentary between cruises.

In March we did a B2B2B on the quest, we were tested for free after the first leg (Miami) but no test was required after the second leg (Lisbon).

14 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

In March we did a B2B2B on the quest, we were tested for free after the first leg (Miami) but no test was required after the second leg (Lisbon).

Thanks . I was just concerned given the new charge if you get a Covid test at the ship whereas before it was free. Hoping they did not apply that new charge to B2B cruises.

1 minute ago, Henk123 said:

We will board end July and I think and hope it will change again sone. Maybe we can use OBC for the test if it still needed at that time.

Its been said already the answer to that is no but hopefully the whole issue will be looked at again well before July

• Like 1

11 hours ago, earn said:

Does anyone know if you need to book the Azamara test at the port or can you just turn up and take one?

You do not book ahead, but take it at the port upon your arrival. To speed things up it was mentioned that, if possible, you should get one independently before arriving at the port. 

Depending on where you are sailing from, there are most likely lots of options for testing. We've been successful in finding plenty of sites at pharmacies and independent testing store fronts, at reasonable prices, in Portugal, France, Israel, Jordan, and Cyprus in the past few months. Our upcoming Azamara is sailing from Barcelona, and I have found several sites within a couple blocks of our hotel in Madrid (where we will be the day before boarding) for an Antigen test. 

For those flying from London Heathrow there are some inexpensive options available there. We are flying from T5 the day before our forthcoming cruise and found a company providing an antigen test at the Sofitel hotel, which links to the terminal. Cost £15 when booked using a link on the British Airways website and results, from memory, within 20 minutes. Works for us, as our meet and greet car parking is also in the same hotel. Thought this may be helpful for others.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

Has anyone confirmed that emed self administered and monitored Covid tests are acceptable Antigen tests?

Someone did have a zoom meeting with Azamara and proctored antigen tests are acceptable. I have pasted their comment on here.

"I was in a zoom meeting with Azamara yesterday and the test has to be a "proctored" test. So, you can use one of the EMed at home tests that are proctored (witnessed through a call, and they send you a certificate), but you cannot use an at home test that is not proctored". 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

Has anyone confirmed that emed self administered and monitored Covid tests are acceptable Antigen tests?

I have seen numerous reports of folks using them with success on other lines (Princess, Celebrity, etc), as well as for return to US testing.  I've seen a few people report issues with the app/internet connection.  I'm planning to use them in May/June (bought them already).

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Hamwen3839 said:

Thanks . I was just concerned given the new charge if you get a Covid test at the ship whereas before it was free. Hoping they did not apply that new charge to B2B cruises.

Azamara told our TA that you would not need to be tested for the second leg if you did not leave the ship on turnover day. 

If you go out you will need to be tested before you reboard, which would appear to trigger the $59 fee. 

• Thanks 1

Wow, I find this so frustrating. You would think when Azamara introduce a new policy they would have the most common questions covered but no, that is two different answers to the same question. I can deal with whatever it is but PLEASE Azamara get the responses right.

4 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Azamara told our TA that you would not need to be tested for the second leg if you did not leave the ship on turnover day. 

If you go out you will need to be tested before you reboard, which would appear to trigger the $59 fee. 

4 hours ago, ECCruise said:

So what if the ship has overnighted in the turnaround port at the end of cruise 1?  
That turnaround rule is totally illogical. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kool kruiser said:

For those flying from London Heathrow there are some inexpensive options available there. We are flying from T5 the day before our forthcoming cruise and found a company providing an antigen test at the Sofitel hotel, which links to the terminal. Cost £15 when booked using a link on the British Airways website and results, from memory, within 20 minutes. Works for us, as our meet and greet car parking is also in the same hotel. Thought this may be helpful for others.

Good find, I questioned the 1 day Antigen test with Azamara and was categorically told it was anytime the day before boarding, on Facebook someone asked and was told it had to be within 24 hours of boarding, I despair!

• Like 2

We’re flying out of heathrow but 2 days before. I guess then that only leaves the pcr as an option or find a pharmacy in Italy the day before for an antigen test. 
What is the procedure if you do happen to test positive?

where do you stay? Can you fly home.?

Can you book a hotel somewhere and have a beach holiday ?

A lot of unknowns.

@ECCruise

@uktog

Thanks for your posts.

Oh the frustration with the illogicality of what is appearing to be made up on the go :

Board for the first cruise after a test that is up to 72 hours old.

but

Go out for a few hours on turnaround day and you need a test before reboarding for your B2B!

Really?

Edited by Baynanno1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

@ECCruise

@uktog

Thanks for your posts.

Oh the frustration with the illogicality of what is appearing to be made up on the go :

Board for the first cruise after a test that is up to 72 hours old.

but

Go out for a few hours on turnaround day and you need a test before reboarding for your B2B!

Really?

Totally agree, we can deal with whatever the ruling is and can make decisions accordingly but we have been given two completely different answers as to B2B situation for testing. Azamara, please just get it right and amend your policy.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2022 at 10:40 PM, les37b said:

It was included in the original price, it's no longer a legal requirement (so CL choice) and is a rip off for a £1 test.... So yeh, they can't justify the lavish nickel and diming IMHO.

If the cost of the test has gone up, then fair enough, but it hasn't. These tests are cheap even for every guest.... Though it now becomes a lovely $$$ kerching bonus.

It’s never been a part of their pricing!  You didn’t pay for a test when you bought your cruise.  Good grief 

• Like 1

Why doesn't Azamara use the pre-embarkation testing requirement that Viking lists on their website--that is, a test within 72 or 24 of getting on the plane!!!  So civilized.

"Viking requires all guests to take a pre-departure COVID-19 test. For your convenience, Viking offers two ways of testing prior to departure; for either, you must travel with an electronic or printed copy of your negative COVID-19 test result.

Guests may take a COVID-19 PCR test (with a laboratory-certified proof of negative result) within 72 hours prior to boarding your first international flight from your home country OR

Guests may take a COVID-19 antigen test (with a laboratory-certified proof of negative result) within 24 hours prior to boarding your first international flight from your home country.  

Select at-home tests will meet Viking’s travel requirement, provided they include a laboratory-certified proof of result."

• Like 2