Travel Agent or Not

tcdcruiser

• I'm late to the party but my response in Australia is NEVER go anywhere near a TA.  Their only interest is in getting commission.   They are an added complication when things go wrong, and also usually an added cost.  During early COVID my 'pseudo' daughter lost nearly $20k which she would not have lost if she hadn't used a TA company that went broke.  There is no government bail out here.  Also, reading through CC and other websites, people who book directly very frequently know more about what is going on that those who use TA's - who pick and choose what information they pass on to customers and when they can be bothered to do so.  Caveat emptor.  
    p.s., if I lived in the US then my opinion would be different. I have two friends who seem to be outstanding TA's, but  before anyone suggests I use them; using them is too fraught for them and me - what with exchange rates and cruise line rules.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lahore said:
  • I'm late to the party but my response in Australia is NEVER go anywhere near a TA.  Their only interest is in getting commission.   They are an added complication when things go wrong, and also usually an added cost.  During early COVID my 'pseudo' daughter lost nearly $20k which she would not have lost if she hadn't used a TA company that went broke.  There is no government bail out here.  Also, reading through CC and other websites, people who book directly very frequently know more about what is going on that those who use TA's - who pick and choose what information they pass on to customers and when they can be bothered to do so.  Caveat emptor.  
    p.s., if I lived in the US then my opinion would be different. I have two friends who seem to be outstanding TA's, but  before anyone suggests I use them; using them is too fraught for them and me - what with exchange rates and cruise line rules.

Though we always have used a TA (in the U.S.), I agree that Covid has turned things “topsy-turvy” for them as regards the cruise industry. This is particularly true when it comes to the added burden of far more numerous itinerary changes/cancelations, use/exemptions related to refunds/FCCs/transfers/policy exceptions).

And some TAs (quite a number of agencies having lost/still losing personnel), find themselves overwhelmed - if for no other reason than the time spend on multiple  “phone holds” with cruise lines whose own personnel ranks are depleted.

As I have mentioned in other posts, our current strategy involves having started to do more direct bookings with our preferred cruise line (either book onboard or with a trusted long serving phone rep) and transferring to preferred TA within the 30 day transfer window (for the added perks/commission sharing).

In this way, I still have a direct cruise line contact to handle initial issue (e.g., FCC exceptions), certain ongoing items (e.g., tour purchases/changes) and I have a TA who needs only to handle the finances related to cruise fare modifications and be on hand for advanced problem solving. 

One lesson learned/reinforced in the Covid era is that, if you have a preferred cruise line (ours is Oceania), you want a Travel Agency in general and Agent specifically who knows your line’s policies/practices “inside out” and does a ton of bookings with that line. And, because of the constantly changing industry landscape, I also strongly advise to  have several trusted  TAs in your arsenal. For all sorts of reasons, there’s now a lot of “here today/gone tomorrow.”

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Though we always have used a TA (in the U.S.), I agree that Covid has turned things “topsy-turvy” for them as regards the cruise industry. This is particularly true when it comes to the added burden of far more numerous itinerary changes/cancelations, use/exemptions related to refunds/FCCs/transfers/policy exceptions).

And some TAs (quite a number of agencies having lost/still losing personnel), find themselves overwhelmed - if for no other reason than the time spend on multiple  “phone holds” with cruise lines whose own personnel ranks are depleted.

As I have mentioned in other posts, our current strategy involves having started to do more direct bookings with our preferred cruise line (either book onboard or with a trusted long serving phone rep) and transferring to preferred TA within the 30 day transfer window (for the added perks/commission sharing).

In this way, I still have a direct cruise line contact to handle initial issue (e.g., FCC exceptions), certain ongoing items (e.g., tour purchases/changes) and I have a TA who needs only to handle the finances related to cruise fare modifications and be on hand for advanced problem solving. 

One lesson learned/reinforced in the Covid era is that, if you have a preferred cruise line (ours is Oceania), you want a Travel Agency in general and Agent specifically who knows your line’s policies/practices “inside out” and does a ton of bookings with that line. And, because of the constantly changing industry landscape, I also strongly advise to  have several trusted  TAs in your arsenal. For all sorts of reasons, there’s now a lot of “here today/gone tomorrow.”

Too... One must understand that Australia  operates under a whole different set of practices, none of which are present ( thank God) in the US.     Like charging for services, charging extra for CC payment, and holding a passengers payment themselves... adding all sorts of fees. and having a "closed shop" monopoly on booking.....    

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Too... One must understand that Australia  operates under a whole different set of practices, none of which are present ( thank God) in the US.     Like charging for services, charging extra for CC payment, and holding a passengers payment themselves... adding all sorts of fees. and having a "closed shop" monopoly on booking.....    

Absolutely.  Could not agree more.  Even the common-in-US practice of transferring bookings is relatively unheard of.  Oh, and did I mention they know much, much less than I do about the great majority of destinations? Just never: they are one tiny step removed from used car sales in my opinion.  Wild horses........ 

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2022 at 4:19 AM, lahore said:

Still surprised she lost that kind of money. Did the TA pocket it or was the cruise paid for? Sonds like a lot more to this story than meets the eye.

6 hours ago, rbtan said:

Still surprised she lost that kind of money. Did the TA pocket it or was the cruise paid for? Sonds like a lot more to this story than meets the eye.

There are many reports on CC of non-USA TAs who charge your credit card into their account and then delay forwarding the money to the cruise line.  

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 10:57 PM, rbtan said:

You are in USA.  We are in Australia.  It's very different.  As I said, the TA (and not one TA, but a huge and previously well known company Student Travel Australia) went broke and there is no protection here for customers of insolvent travel agencies.  It wasn't a cruise, it was a big air trip and associated accommodation (remember we are in Australia, everywhere overseas is very expensive from here).  STA is now in administration by Deloitte's.  They may get some percentage of their money back but they are now in their 30's and could be senior citizens by the time that happens. 

Edited by lahore

On 5/15/2022 at 3:15 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

There are many reports on CC of non-USA TAs who charge your credit card into their account and then delay forwarding the money to the cruise line.  

Wouldn't they be able to charge it back to the credit co. Or is the way cards are done different elsewhere?

One thing no one mentioned when discussing how some agencies can rebate those amounts. Somewhere I saw a scale of percentages that Oceania pays on commissions. It's based on the dollar volume that the agency/agent books with them each year. So if it is a large agency that books a lot of cruises with them their commission goes up. Whether or not it's based on room level I don't know, but it goes without saying that the more you pay for a room the more it will affect their bottom line. 

I don't remember where I saw the chart but I think it was something someone posted here in years past. 

Edited by ORV

36 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

@jonthomas and @Flatbush Flyer Does your O rep get upset if you transfer to a TA?  Are you still able to get good service from the O rep after you do that?  I just booked my first O cruise directly with an O rep.  Still looking for that “perfect” TA.

thanks.

6 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

DO YOU THINK? 
I would expect so because no TA likes to lose bookings and customers. 
Good Luck!

Mauibabes

Sorry folks but O relies on their own sales employees (phone reps, O ambassadors) to bolster bookings volume. That is difficult when those bookings are not transferred to a TA and the O folks end up “hand holding” many existing bookings and dealing with lingering window shoppers.

Add to that the reality that it is far less expensive for O to rely on TAs for everything from “window shoppers” to marketing to customer problem handling than would be the cost of salary/benefits/facility costs for their own expanded sales force (yes- even when O is paying TA commissions).

So, consider the strategy of using the O Reps/Ambassadors for initial bookings (if for no other reason than having your own O resource) - both of whom can offer you “book onboard” deals under the right circumstances - then do the transfer to a TA within the transfer window and get those added perks.

Don’t want to say goodbye to your favorite O phone rep? Just buy your optional items like tours, la reserve, booze packages, etc from them (rather than doing it online).   

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Sorry folks but O relies on their own sales employees (phone reps, O ambassadors) to bolster bookings volume. That is difficult when those bookings are not transferred to a TA and the O folks end up “hand holding” many existing bookings and dealing with lingering window shoppers.

Add to that the reality that it is far less expensive for O to rely on TAs for everything from “window shoppers” to marketing to customer problem handling than would be the cost of salary/benefits/facility costs for their own expanded sales force (yes- even when O is paying TA commissions).

So, consider the strategy of using the O Reps/Ambassadors for initial bookings (if for no other reason than having your own O resource) - both of whom can offer you “book onboard” deals under the right circumstances - then do the transfer to a TA within the transfer window and get those added perks.

Don’t want to say goodbye to your favorite O phone rep? Just buy your optional items like tours, la reserve, booze packages, etc from them (rather than doing it online).   

Don’t think so. After you have designated that TA, everything you do goes back through that TA. It’s all on the invoice, and to the TA’s account, whether from the TA, O rep, or online. 

The industry average is about 3 bookings per every sailing. Means 2 out of 3 cancellations. During the past two years, our TAs busted their bottoms, on both ends, often for no compensation. Here we have an Influencer telling people how to cut what future pay, they might get, even more! 🤬🤬

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pinotlover said:

Don’t think so. After you have designated that TA, everything you do goes back through that TA. It’s all on the invoice, and to the TA’s account, whether from the TA, O rep, or online. 

Actually, you’re supporting my point. 
O employees do receive performance recognition (and MAY even have sales targets) for a volume of initial bookings, optional sales, etc.

But, it is TAs who are paid commissions whether booked directly with them or transferred to them during the transfer window. And from that point on, it is that TA who is expected to handle the “bulk” of interaction with “their” bookings (thus freeing up O employees to add more bookings).

Why? As aforementioned, commissioning TAs (i.e., “outsourcing” cruise sales and client management) is far less expensive than maintaining an in-house sales force.

I say “bulk” of interaction because, any O phone rep can sell any passenger optional purchases (or, for example, change your O Life amenity choice) whether of not there’s a TA in the picture. All the O Rep cannot do with bookings controlled by a TA is change basic fare related items that might alter associated fare $$$ (e.g., final payments, rebooking for a better price, cabin upgrades, cancellations, etc or provide updated O cruise invoices (though they can send you the math sheets related to your optional purchases that they process).

FWIW: over the past several months (due to port changes and the effect on excursions for three of my future O bookings), I have clarified with a trusted O phone rep what is due as a refund for O cancelled tours included in my original O Life booking (now handled by a TA) and have purchased replacement tours through that Rep. I get the updated docs related to the optional purchases and my TA gets those docs too as well as the updated o invoice (which she then sends to me for my records.

My TA is busy enough and I don’t need anything “lost in translation”‘when it comes to the complications of o life tours, YWYW, etc. So, my handling my own ship excursion (or other optional) purchases/cancels works best for all concerned.

BTW: This brings me back to another thread regarding TA rebates to O customers.

I identify the cruises, do all my own air/hotels/transfers AND ship (as well as private) tours. Except for the rare need for problem solving assistance (e.g., delayed refund), all my TA needs to do is take the cruise booking transfer, transmit my final payment and send me whatever documents she received from O. Sending some of the commission my way when the subject at hand is a month plus cruise on a premium cruise line (and we’re doing two to three of them per year) is not exactly a bad deal for a TA.

12 hours ago, SWATeam said:

@jonthomas and @Flatbush Flyer Does your O rep get upset if you transfer to a TA?  Are you still able to get good service from the O rep after you do that?  I just booked my first O cruise directly with an O rep.  Still looking for that “perfect” TA.

thanks.

I asked my O rep how it affects him when I transfer my booking...his answer was....NOT at all...he said O takes very good care of its reps...it makes NO difference at all when I transfer it...but once I do that , all information has to then come from the TA, O will not answer any questions...

so I circumvent that by saying, I need information for a cruise not yet booked....and speak to any O rep..

41 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

I asked my O rep how it affects him when I transfer my booking...his answer was....NOT at all...he said O takes very good care of its reps...it makes NO difference at all when I transfer it...but once I do that , all information has to then come from the TA, O will not answer any questions...

so I circumvent that by saying, I need information for a cruise not yet booked....and speak to any O rep..

See post #89. You certainly can still interact with O phone reps- it’s just that the scope of activity is more limited once a TA is in the mix.  Once you’ve done the TA transfer, you still can have some transactions with the phone rep (e.g., optional purchases like tours, la reserve, cooking classes). You just can’t alter fare related items or directly receive updated O invoices (other than docs related to your optional purchases). Call O, select “existing reservations” then “booked with a travel agent.” Better still, get the direct extension for a rep (or 2) that has worked well for you.

FWIW: The strategy of doing your own cruise selection research, booking direct with an O phone rep (then transferring to the TA), handling your own air and excursions (as well as pre/post land arrangements and transfers) spares your TA a ton of work. And that, in turn, makes reasonable sharing of commissions with you an attractive proposition for him/her.

Again, I’m not talking as much about short MIA-MIA trips in the “cheap seats.” I’m talking about longer cruises with what would be a hefty price tag for most folks.

IME

Most people choose the cruise they want then book it with a TA or direct

I do not see  if you know what you want why book direct then go through the hassle of transffering it  ..unless of course you want to shop TA's for the best kick backs

I have not seen/heard of many people that go to a TA & tell them to pick a cruise for them

I am sure it does happen with new cruisers  but for people that have done cruises before they have  an idea of what they want & where they want to go

I usually do the legwork  email my TA to book it ..I know what works for me  & trust my TA

I do not begrudge her making a commission  she has to make a living & pay bills as well

YMMV

• Like 6

Ditto LHT, 

The TA discussion will go on forever. Every agency operates differently as do the individual agents.   Exceptional service and Value go a long way with me as does loyalty. In doing my own research on this subject, I learned Oceania and other premium lines have an anti-rebating policy to the agencies. While many have found TA’s who will bend, undoubtedly they are risking their business relationship with the cruise lines. The Agencies have to come back from the disaster COvid created in their industry and hire and train new staff and if able, maintain that brick and mortar facility. 
Oh well, such is life. 
Mauibabes

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Sorry Flatbush,

In this case you are incorrect as the O rep makes a commission on each booking but does not get credit for all of the amenities if you have given the booking to another person..nor does he get the commission the booking agent does..

Jancruz1

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

IME

Most people choose the cruise they want then book it with a TA or direct

I do not see  if you know what you want why book direct then go through the hassle of transffering it  ..unless of course you want to shop TA's for the best kick backs

I have not seen/heard of many people that go to a TA & tell them to pick a cruise for them

I am sure it does happen with new cruisers  but for people that have done cruises before they have  an idea of what they want & where they want to go

I usually do the legwork  email my TA to book it ..I know what works for me  & trust my TA

I do not begrudge her making a commission  she has to make a living & pay bills as well

YMMV

Plus 1

Its a waste of time and energy to call O..unfortunately not everyone understands the situation like you do..

Jacruz1

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Sorry Flatbush,

In this case you are incorrect as the O rep makes a commission on each booking but does not get credit for all of the amenities if you have given the booking to another person..nor does he get the commission the booking agent does..

Jancruz1

I trust your expertise but it is/was my understanding that there is “recognition” (what form it takes is beyond my pay grade) for O Rep ‘s volume of sales even when the cruise is transferred. If that isn’t the case, there must be a whole lot of unhappy O Club Ambassadors with auto-assignment of new onboard bookings to the TA that booked the current cruise. (Though it is possible to self-assign instead onboard and transfer or not within the window).

As always, thanks for adding to the knowledge base.

7 hours ago, mauibabes said:

Ditto LHT, 

The TA discussion will go on forever. Every agency operates differently as do the individual agents.   Exceptional service and Value go a long way with me as does loyalty. In doing my own research on this subject, I learned Oceania and other premium lines have an anti-rebating policy to the agencies. While many have found TA’s who will bend, undoubtedly they are risking their business relationship with the cruise lines. The Agencies have to come back from the disaster COvid created in their industry and hire and train new staff and if able, maintain that brick and mortar facility. 
Oh well, such is life. 
Mauibabes

I think that there’s a gray area related to advertised vs private “rebates” or refundable SBC or incentives supplied by O to the TA or their consortium. 
IMO, I’m convinced that most reputable TAs provide $ back “in kind” and/or “in cash” though they take care to not violate any particular prohibition against advertising lower fare prices.

Horse been beaten unmercifully. Oceania compensates their in-house sales staff by means not even the Influencer here knows.  The various Travel Agencies compensate their individual Travel Agents by multiple means. Even our verbose Influencer apparently doesn’t knows the true details.

I’m not a bored retiree wanting to squeeze every dime out of the system, nor spend hours trying to ascertain my Travel Agents income. I’d rather be playing golf with my buddies at the Club. 

I have a great Travel Agent and know how to use her. She performs miracles. I don’t begrudge her a dime. Pleasantry is never calling 1-800- Dial a Clerk at Oceania. The bored or the control obsessed see it differently .

Done beating the beast. 

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

I would like just tell you all of my latest experiences  with my travel agent having booked a 12 day cruise August 22 9 months ago Oceania have had two promotions in the first a two cabin upgrade i received  a $750 discount this was before  final payment.. 

After final payment O came out with an ultimate promotion  thanks to my TA i got the ulimate offering as well and a further  discount of $500 ..

Hats off to O for keeping their  price promise  and futher proof  that a TA was indispensable  in getting  this for me.

• Like 1