FORT LAUDERDALE

PanamaKay

2 hours ago, PanamaKay said:

Will Carnival ever return to Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale?  IF not, I have to find a new cruise line.  yuck.

You aren't willing to travel to Miami?

We've sailed several times out of Miami in the past year, and we flew to (and stayed in) Fort Lauderdale.  The Uber from there is quite reasonable.

10 hours ago, PanamaKay said:

Will Carnival ever return to Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale?  IF not, I have to find a new cruise line.  yuck.

It wasn't just the dredging project, there was a number of construction projects, including a new terminal and convention center. I agree that cruising from Port Everglades/Ft. Lauderdale was great. Flights were often cheaper than MIA; airport to cruiseport wasn't far; and lots of affordable, conveinent hotels for pre/post-cruise.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, mondello said:

It wasn't just the dredging project, there was a number of construction projects, including a new terminal and convention center. I agree that cruising from Port Everglades/Ft. Lauderdale was great. Flights were often cheaper than MIA; airport to cruiseport wasn't far; and lots of affordable, conveinent hotels for pre/post-cruise.

Not to mention that we have a condo 10 minutes away from Port Everglades.  Flights definitely cheaper and lots of choices with our preferred airline. (Jetblue).   Always found it easier than Miami- both in getting to the port and the airport itself.  

• Like 3

I believe Fort Lauderdale is one of the most underrated spots. I absolutely love it. It is also usually cheaper for me to fly there vs Miami.

With that said, I wouldn't have an issue doing a cruise out of Miami and/or taking an Uber from one to the other.

• Like 2

While I agree Fort Lauderdale is a great port to sail out of, I don't really have an issue flying into FLL and Ubering down to Miami if the flight is that much more appealing than what is offered at MIA. It's still a closer transfer than flying into Orlando and sailing out of Port Canaveral or flying into Houston and sailing out of Galveston. 

15 hours ago, mondello said:

Agreed.  In fact, the airport/cruise-port combination is the closest such grouping in the world.  

Really loved cruising out of PEV and also enjoyed staying in hotels there more than higher-priced Miami.  Driving was easier in FLL, too.  

Guest BasicSailor
On 4/29/2022 at 8:06 PM, PanamaKay said:

Carnival can't pass up this port.  It really is a go to port.  Taking the water taxi off 17th street to shopping areas and nightlife is a cruiser's bliss. Sad thing is the hotels have become a tourist trap being overpriced and needing upgrading.

On 4/29/2022 at 10:47 PM, staceyglow said:

You aren't willing to travel to Miami?

We've sailed several times out of Miami in the past year, and we flew to (and stayed in) Fort Lauderdale.  The Uber from there is quite reasonable.

No I am not.  I live just 10 miles north of FLL and a trip to Miami to get on and off a cruise is not something I want to start doing.

5 minutes ago, PanamaKay said:

No I am not.  I live just 10 miles north of FLL and a trip to Miami to get on and off a cruise is not something I want to start doing.

If you're that stoic regarding your embarkation of choice, it's totally your decision.  But of course you are then limited to the cruise lines that are currently sailing out of FLL, primarily Celebrity, Royal, HAL and Princess.

If you don't wish to drive the extra 40 minutes to cruise on Carnival or NCL, that's on you.

13 minutes ago, PanamaKay said:

Then go with another line like you threatened to do.  It's up to you to go to them not for them to come to you. Sail Royal or Celebrity then, simple enough. To most your problem sounds trivial.... Carnival will survive without you. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, PanamaKay said:

This came up in another thread last year. Someone that lived by the port posted they were building a convention center near Port Everglades and a new cruise terminal. Do you know if they built a new terminal? I'm not sure but, I thought it was a new terminal for Carnival? I know the convention center is not cruise related; however, it could impact hotels at times.

On 4/30/2022 at 10:19 PM, BasicSailor said:

Carnival can't pass up this port.  It really is a go to port.  Taking the water taxi off 17th street to shopping areas and nightlife is a cruiser's bliss. Sad thing is the hotels have become a tourist trap being overpriced and needing upgrading.

Many of the hotels there are also bed bug and roach infested. 😬

On 5/3/2022 at 6:26 PM, PanamaKay said:

We fly from up north. When we pick a cruise I won’t fly to Miami. FLL is as far as Im willing to fly. Im not flying an extra 5-10 minutes more than I have to. 
Seriously sounds like a first world problem.

I have a question for you port-experienced people….I’m coming into Miami on Celebration this Fall. Flights from Miami were not very friendly…the flights from FLL were much better and cheaper. So I’ve decided to spend a night in FLL and fly home the day after coming into Miami.  My question is…getting to my hotel in FLL..it’s located on 17th Street.  I can take the ship’s transfer to the FLL airport, then wait for the hotel’s shuttle at the airport and go to the hotel.  I would rather go from Miami port to hotel in FLL.  Problem is….is it possible?  I’ve emailed various shuttle services and not received one response.  Does anyone have any experience doing this?  Thanks!   And….I don’t use Uber, mainly because I don’t know how and don’t like turning my cell phone on in the US.  I’ve used shuttles from Airport to cruise port and was hoping to do that, in reverse.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, ladysail2 said:

I have a question for you port-experienced people….I’m coming into Miami on Celebration this Fall. Flights from Miami were not very friendly…the flights from FLL were much better and cheaper. So I’ve decided to spend a night in FLL and fly home the day after coming into Miami.  My question is…getting to my hotel in FLL..it’s located on 17th Street.  I can take the ship’s transfer to the FLL airport, then wait for the hotel’s shuttle at the airport and go to the hotel.  I would rather go from Miami port to hotel in FLL.  Problem is….is it possible?  I’ve emailed various shuttle services and not received one response.  Does anyone have any experience doing this?  Thanks!   And….I don’t use Uber, mainly because I don’t know how and don’t like turning my cell phone on in the US.  I’ve used shuttles from Airport to cruise port and was hoping to do that, in reverse.  Thanks!

If you don't like turning your cell phone on, you will be stuck with the two step process of paying for the ships shuttle and then using the hotel shuttle from the airport, assuming they have one.  Uber or Lyft or even an independent shuttle would involve utilizing your cell phone to either order or confirm your ride.  It will cost you more money as well.

I would go to the FLA departures section on cruise critic to find out if there is an independent shuttle that will pick you up at the ship in FLA to drop you off at the hotel in FLL without needing a phone.  You may luck out.

On 5/6/2022 at 1:23 AM, SNJCruisers said:

If you don't like turning your cell phone on, you will be stuck with the two step process of paying for the ships shuttle and then using the hotel shuttle from the airport, assuming they have one.  Uber or Lyft or even an independent shuttle would involve utilizing your cell phone to either order or confirm your ride.  It will cost you more money as well.

I would go to the FLA departures section on cruise critic to find out if there is an independent shuttle that will pick you up at the ship in FLA to drop you off at the hotel in FLL without needing a phone.  You may luck out.

Thank you for your suggestion of looking at the FLA departures board. I did, and I think the simplest and most stress-free way to get from POM to my FLL hotel is to take the ship’s shuttle to FLL airport, then wait for my hotel’s shuttle from the airport. I have lots of time and will leave the rushing to those that need to.  😊

2 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

Thank you for your suggestion of looking at the FLA departures board. I did, and I think the simplest and most stress-free way to get from POM to my FLL hotel is to take the ship’s shuttle to FLL airport, then wait for my hotel’s shuttle from the airport. I have lots of time and will leave the rushing to those that need to.  😊

My pleasure, just paying it forward.